Chapter XXX

The last queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I was beginning to regret asking my mother to start planning the ceremony.

If I had known it would be this hectic I would have stayed back at the academy. In fact I went as far as asking to go back and finish my senior year just to escape this torturous process but Isaiah, who was now staying in Agni as a guest and not a prisoner, told me that there will be no need to go back. Apparently the council, with the blessings of the royals, decided to end the school year early after what happened. The seniors already got their marks on the trials and they –the ones who made it out alive- will be graduating in the spring.

So for the next week, all I had to look forward to was dress rehearsals, dance lessons and speech writing.

I missed the trials.

 

“The royal families will be arriving later this evening. Make sure you’re presentable and ready to greet them by then.” Sooyeong was no less excited than our mother. Well, excited would be one way to put it I suppose. My sister was frantic, running around the castle adjusting the details of the ceremony, calling the caterers to change the menu for the 100th time, portaling to the academy for hours on end to plan the upcoming graduation even though it was 2 months away, and showing up in my room at odd hours to present me with more dress options. I didn’t even want to know where she got her energy from.

“I’ll be ready.” I nodded.

“And let Chanyeol know too.” She lifted her head from her planner long enough to give me a smirk. “He’s expected to be there as well.”

“Yes ma’am.” I saluted her.

Turning around to leave her office, I stopped at the door and took a good look at my sister. She was always the studious one; even her twin brother was amazed with her work ethic and determination. He would never admit to it but I was sure he was the tiniest bit jealous too.

“You’re going to make a great queen.”

She lifted her head up again, a look I couldn’t decipher shot through her eyes before disappearing all too quickly.

“Thank you.” She whispered. “I’ll do my best.”

“I know you will.”

As I walked back to my room I stole a quick glance at my wrist watch. It was already 4pm and the guests were expected to be here by dinner time. I quickened my pace, stopping briefly by Chanyeol’s wing to let him know he should get ready too.

 

 

“You look beautiful.” Dad leaned down slightly to whisper in my ear. We were standing at the foyer, the king and queen, the twins, Chanyeol and I. Usually the guests would be welcomed by the high ranking members of staff and lead to the throne room to greet the royals, but since our guests were royals themselves, protocol dictated we greet them ourselves. I wasn’t too bothered by it since it meant I get to see Rose and Kira again. A pang shot at my heart once I remembered the royal family of Halitus would be missing a member tonight.

“Thank you.”

I ran my hands down my sapphire suit. It was formal and elegant and a welcome reprieve from all of the dresses I had to parade around this week. I made a mental note to thank Sooyeong again for picking it out for me.

The blaring sounds of the drums, trumpets and saxophone announced the long waited arrival of the royals and the gates of the castle opened wide. The three shimmering portals –incredibly synchronized- first made way for the royal guards from the different kingdoms. Glacis in their cerulean and silver uniforms, followed by the guards of Avanindra decked in emerald green and bright gold and Halitus in their pearly white and soft lilac attires. Each uniform represented the colors of the element and the crystals that corresponded to each kingdom and as I looked at our guards, adorned in ruby red and obsidian, I felt a new found appreciation for the small details that made our world.

The guards stood in formation, covering the grounds in an infinity like symbol that started from the gates to what stood behind the portals, and as the higher ranks their staff on the ground three times, the royals stepped through.

It was all a show of status and power, proven by the excessive number of guards from each kingdom and the crowns and lavish attire adorned by the royals, and I resisted rolling my eyes at the spectacle as I stood next to my family. I didn’t understand the point of this hour long presentation, the whole point of their visit was to attend the crowning ceremony and hold the first official meeting with the supreme leader. All of which could have been done in an afternoon.

“Already bored?” Chanyeol whispered.

He was standing to my left in his fitted light grey suit and his ever so charming smile and as I stole a few glances his way I could see why Sooyeong insisted he attend this debacle. He was born to be a leader. Confident, diplomatic and oh so very handsome, he belonged to this life more than I ever will.

“Am I that obvious?” I whispered back.

“Not at all.” He shrugged slightly but I caught his wink.

“Your majesties.” King Ajay, Rose’s father was the first to greet us. “I’m glad to see you all doing well.” He didn’t look so glad.

“King Ajay, Queen Karishma, it’s so good to have you here with us.” My mother smiled.

“It’s been too long.” Queen Sophie bowed slightly along with her husband. “We’re glad the royals of Agni are unharmed.” She smiled as she glanced at my siblings and I.

“As are we.” Dad bowed back.

“Lisa, William, we’re very happy you could join us.” Mom turned to the leaders of Halitus.

“And once again we are terribly sorry for your loss.” Dad finished.

“Thank you.” The royals said in unison, grief displayed on their faces even though they tried so hard to hide it.

“Shall we?” Sungmin gestured for us to head inside and the royals nodded.

The guards dispersed within and outside of the castle walls and as my family and I lead the way to the dining hall I couldn’t shake the feeling of a cold stare piercing my back.

We took our seat around the humongous table after chatting for a few minutes. I got to greet Kira, Suho and Rose who were all just as glamorous as their parents. Kiseop’s young cousin, the future queen of Halitus remained close to her family.

Conversation flowed as the staff brought out different kinds of refreshments and entrées and for anyone looking in at this scene it would have looked like a pleasant affair, but I knew better. The atmosphere was tense, and it was only a matter of time before the inevitable blow up.

“So, Ahri, we heard about that courageous stunt you pulled at the battle.” King Ajay took a sip of his wine.

Not a minute too soon.

“I only did what I had to.” My smile was forced.

“You could have died.” He was relentless.

“It was a sacrifice I was willing to make.”

“So very brave.” His smile reminded me of a cartoon snake. “So very childish.”

“I beg your pardon?”

Under the table, Chanyeol’s hand rested on my thigh.

“A queen does not throw herself in the middle of a battle like that. You’re meant to lead, not sacrifice yourself.”

“That may have been your approach, king Ajay, but I wasn’t raised to run for cover. I wasn’t going to stand by and watch as my people died for me.”

To my left, my father barely held back his snicker. My mother however had no qualms about showing her bright smile.

“You endangered your life and the lives of those around you.” His highness king seethed. “Don’t think we haven’t heard of the amount of damage your little show of power cost. You could have blown this castle up into smithereens. How are you meant to lead the four kingdoms if you can’t even control your own elements? You’ve been presumed dead for two years and now you’re back to ruin us all! You’re not a queen, you’re nothing but an insolent child and I would-

“You would do well to recognize who you’re talking to, King Ajay.”

Chanyeol squeezed my thigh, no doubt to try and calm me down, but that ship had already sailed.

“Two years ago, I was betrayed, stabbed in the heart and left for dead. I was taken away from everything I have ever know, my home , my family and the throne I fought so hard for. I had to live in the dark, not knowing who I was or where I came from.” I pushed my seat back and stood up.

“I had to relearn everything! I had to work 10 times harder to get my powers back, to control my fire and to manifest the rest of my elements. You have no idea how hard it was, how excruciatingly painful and all-consuming it was to reach for what everyone around me seemed to have naturally. I did in the span of months, what took years to master. You don’t know what it’s like, to go from not knowing anything about yourself to having to keep your existence a secret because you had no idea who betrayed you. You have no idea how heartbreaking it was to look at my best friends in the eyes every damn day and lie to them to protect them and myself. And after all of that, after all the sleepless nights and the torturous training sessions and the trials YOU put as through, I fought for everyone back at the academy. I had to watch one of the few people I trusted die right in front of my eyes, I had to kill my own cousin for betraying the kingdoms… and if that was not enough, I had to rush back here to protect my family, to fight for my people only to end up in a coma. And you have the audacity to sit there and call me a child!”

I took a deep breath, glancing all around me at the shocked, insulted and impressed faces of my guests.

“I earned my throne, your highness. I earned my place at this table and my position as the supreme leader of the four kingdoms. Now, you either respect that, and join us for the ceremony tomorrow as our esteemed guest, or you leave now and your objection to the throne will be noted.”

 

Safe to say, dinner was an awkward affair after that.

 

The next morning came all too soon. I expected my parents to reprimand me for the mess I caused the night

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter