Chapter XVIII

The last queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The atmosphere in the grand hall was suffocating. As soon as we woke up this morning, the speakers around the academy crackled with the voice of Headmaster X calling the senior class to assemble in the grand hall. The announcement did not come as a surprise but the palpable fear that spread around the room as the seniors shuffled in reminded us that we were nothing but teenagers facing a terror bigger than all of us. Bleak and tired faces trickled in slowly, the front seats filling up with anxious seniors and as my eyes landed on Kiseop, a ball of nerves that had nothing to do with the upcoming announcement formed in my stomach. Of all the feelings I have had for Kiseop in the short time I had known him I had never thought that fear would be a dominant one but as I recalled last night’s events, I couldn’t help but look away from my boyfriend and shrink back in my seat.

“Are you alright?” Kira asked, giving me a concerned look.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I nodded and straightened up; giving her a smile I could tell my blue haired best friend knew was forced.

“Good morning class.” booming voice I have come to associate with MR. X rang through the almost empty grand hall, effectively snapping everyone’s attention to the stage. “I’m sure by now most -if not all- of you know that the royal covenant had launched an attack on the underworld a few days ago. This act came as retaliation for the senseless act of violence that the Grim ones enacted on our academy.” Kira, Rose, Gabbie and I exchanged bewildered looks. Retaliation was not on the forefront of the royals’ minds when they planned to portal their best warriors into the underworld, risking thousands of lives in the process. Were they really keeping their real motives a secret from the seniors that they demanded being ready to join their ranks in the event of a war? The look of shock and disbelief wasn’t limited to our little group. As I chanced a glance at Chanyeol who was sitting two seats to my left, I could tell that he was just as disturbed with the fact that the royals chose to lie to all of us.

“The attack however,” Mr. X continued, “did not go as smoothly as we had hoped. The Grim ones were able to detect the warriors’ presence very quickly and were able to protect their grounds, which resulted in many casualties in our ranks.” Gasps echoed across the room and what started as hushed whispers grew into frantic shouting. Hearing about the strike on the underworld was one thing, but knowing for a fact that we had lost many lives so soon after we were attacked was heartbreaking. Chaos soon settled over the once silent venue as everyone was trying to find out the identity of the fallen. Countless questions were being shouted from every direction, coupled with a few insults directed at the royals for planning an attack they most likely knew would fail.

“Quiet!” The one word command managed to silence the rowdy crowd and as everyone begrudgingly settled back into their seats, Mr. Xavier continued. “We have lost many precious lives, but the attack was not an utter failure. Our troops have managed to create a huge dent in the grim ones’ numbers. They matched them blow for blow and accomplished what they set out for-“

“Which is what exactly?” A student chimed in from the back. “What were they hoping to accomplish?”

“As I have said in the beginning,” Mr. X cleared his throat, clearly displeased with the interruption, “this counter strike was an act of retaliation. royals figured that we can’t let the attack on the academy go unpunished. It would be interpreted as a sign of weakness and the Grim ones could very well attack again.”

“You expect us to believe that?” Hannah, the pink haired girl that interrogated Rose after the royal meeting a while ago, snarled. “You honestly think that we’re dumb enough to believe that their royal highnesses orchestrated an attack on the underworld, risking the lives of countless of their loyal soldiers in the process, for revenge?”

“I would watch that tone if I were you miss Sinclair. You’ll do well to remember that you’re addressing your headmaster.” Mr. X glared at Hannah who glowered right back at him.

“How many lives were lost?” Another student asked.

“I’m not at liberty to discuss that information with students. I can tell you however, that the warriors will be returning to their respective kingdoms tonight. Our teachers and staff who had joined the battle will also be returning to the academy.” A nervous huff of breath rushed out of me as I heard that last part. troops were being released tonight which means that Mr. Blackthorn would be returning soon. I’ve been worried about him ever since he left. “In other related news,” Mr. X started again, “the royals have made some changes to the curriculum of the senior class due to these pressing circumstances.”

“Can they do that?” I turned to Kira, my face no doubt betraying my astonishment.

“They’re royalty Lilith.” Kira rolled her eyes. “They can do whatever they want.”

“ Magic trials that were scheduled for the second semester, as they are every year, have been pushed up. Starting tomorrow, you will be undergoing battle simulation alongside your regular classes.” What in the fresh hell? “Your morning PE classes are cancelled effective immediately. Instead, you will be expected to demonstrate the power of your elements through random battles throughout the school day. A few rules you should keep in mind: attacks during classes are prohibited. The battles commence in the morning and end with your curfew. There will be no sneak attacks during the nights or outside of the academy’s grounds. Any student who is caught cheating in any way shape or form will be expelled immediately. The point of the magic trials is to prepare you for sudden unsuspected attacks, to strengthen your elements and learn to deflect attacks from elements you don’t master. But this does not mean that you get a free pass to hurt each other. Your classes will continue as scheduled tomorrow especially since potions, charms and spells will be of great help during the trials. You can take today off to rest and prepare.” The headmaster looked around the hall, as if trying to get his point across through his cold stare. He eventually nodded, seemingly satisfied with the lack of protests, and gave us a forced smile. “Good luck seniors. Dismissed.”

 

 

 

at the house, lunch was a quiet affair. We opted for a quick pizza delivery from Joe’s instead of the cafeteria, which no doubts would be crawling with pissed off students. We ate in silence, each of us trying to make sense of what we heard in that meeting. The fact that the royals lied about their incentives was suspicious, but to reschedule a whole trial that was supposed to take place 4 and a half months from now didn’t make sense. We were already being trained like soldiers, why would they change our whole curriculum?

“Is it just me,” Rose broke the silence, “or did that announcement create more unanswered questions?”

“I have no idea what our parents are thinking anymore.” Kira shook her head, dropping her slice of pepperoni pizza back into her plate. “Maybe they figured the magic trials would be more helpful than making us run 7 miles every day?” Gabbi shrugged. “I know I’m tired of running.”

“Me too.” Rose agreed. “Making us wake up at 5 every morning is dreadful. I’m willing to endure Lilith’s fire balls if it means I get an extra hour of sleep.”

“Hey”, I pouted while Kira and Gabbie snickered. I was vaguely familiar with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter