Chapter XXV

The last queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   The week that followed our return to the academy was more or less uneventful. Seniors continued with their battle trials, with professors and council members observing and grading their performances. Hyuna continued to throw icy glares and snide comments my way, promising to ‘uncover my secrets’ and ‘ruin my life.’ But worst of all was Kiseop’s persistence. My ex boyfriend, if we could even call him that, did not let his loss affect him much even though he almost got expelled from the academy for threatening the life of another student. Mr. Blackthorn told me that the council didn’t go through with that decision because he was a senior, a semester away from graduating and his powers were needed when the royals finally declare war on the underworld. But we all knew that his royal status was what really altered their final say. Getting off with a slap on the wrist, Kiseop was once again trying to win me back. He would wait for me before class and try to talk to me after. He would pass me notes whenever we shared lectures and send flowers to my house every night. Everywhere I went, he was there waiting to woo me back, to the point where I was so uncomfortable I made sure to never go anywhere alone. His stalker-like behavior brought back memories of freshman and sophomore year when he did the same thing, ignoring all social cues and personal boundaries to ‘make me his girl’. I wanted to stand up to him, to tell him off and demand that he leave me alone or else I would press charges for harassment but I knew that wouldn’t do any good. He was the prince of Halitus and the son of the former Grand Queen and I, to the mystic world, was only Lilith Ignis. My adoptive parents may have been strong and influential in the kingdoms but they wouldn’t stand a chance against the Halicus Family. Not to mention, Mr. Blackthorn had advised me to not draw any more unnecessary attention to myself. One wrong move and my identity could be revealed and I would be in danger once again. Chanyeol, begrudgingly, agreed with our mentor but took it upon himself to walk me everywhere. Needless to say, Hyuna wasn’t too thrilled about that.

My lessons with Isaiah continued and I found that my powers were only getting stronger and easier to control. Fire, despite being my main element, was surprisingly the hardest to work with because it was so unpredictable. And the stronger I became the harder I had to work to maintain my control over the flames. Water and Air however were a blast and whenever I had a chance to use them I had so much fun.

On the fifth day back, the element of earth finally manifested itself. Mr. Blackthorn was beyond thrilled when he noticed the flying rocks and new branches sprouting out of the patch of grass we were standing on. Once my brain caught up with my actions and I understood I was the one manipulating the elements around me, a surge of magic I had never experienced before went through my veins like a bolt of lightning. It was without a doubt one of the most euphoric feelings I had ever experienced and the look of pride on Isaiah and Chanyeol’s faces only made me happier.

I had thought by then that everything would go back to the way it was, that having all of my powers back would only mean I no longer needed training and that I would finally remember who tried to kill me. Unfortunately that did not happen. Not only did I not recall what truly happened that day, but the resurgence of the earth element only made my fire more volatile.

I was making my way back home with Rose and Kira that night when they noticed that something was off.

“Is everything okay Lilith?” Kira asked, her blue eyes looking me over in concern. “You’ve been a little out of it lately.”

“Everything is fine.” I sighed. “Mr. Blackthorn has been killing me with extra practice sessions and I’m just tired.” I gave her a faint smile.

“Good thing it’s a Saturday tomorrow.” Rose beamed as we made our way inside the house. “You’ll get to sleep in and relax.”

“Highly unlikely.” I shook my head. “Besides, the trials don’t stop for the weekend.”

“Oh, yeah.” Rose nodded. “Well, get to bed then.” She made a shooing motion with her hands. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.” I waved to my roommates and climbed up the stairs.

After a hot shower, I put on the comfiest pajamas I could find and climbed into bed. I was so tired I was sure I’d be out of it in seconds, but the drowsiness that was pulling me away vanished suddenly when I pushed my hand under my pillow only to come into contact with something metal. Pushing the pillow out of the way, I fought to swallow the gasp that tried to claw its way out of my throat.

There, right on the bed was Aline’s missing dagger. The blade shone under the moonlight that seeped through the window, its ruby glistening brightly in the dark as if mocking the terror in my eyes. I reached for it, my shaking hand curling around the black hilt, and pulled it towards me. How did this dagger get in here? Shock and terror coursed through my blood as the memory of me standing in front of the glass case in the royal armory flashed through my mind. Someone was in there with me that day, and that someone took my dagger from the display case only for it to end up here.

That could only mean one thing.

Hastily putting on a coat and some shoes, I grabbed the blade and rushed down the stairs, firing a text to Chanyeol to meet me at Isaiah’s. I sent a silent thank you to whoever was listening when I found no one downstairs and the lights were all off. I didn’t want to have to explain to the girls why I was leaving in the middle of the night looking like someone out of a horror movie and wielding a royal blade. I sprinted towards the professors’ living quarters and made the 5 minute journey in two. As I started knocking on Isaiah’s door like a maniac, Chanyeol came to a stop next to me.

“Lilith, what’s wrong?” Chase asked as he panted for breath.

I had no time to answer him as Isaiah’s door opened mid-knock.

“Lilith? Chanyeol? What is going on?”

“She found me.” I breathed.

The silence that followed that one sentence was deafening. Time seemed to stop as we all gave each other questioning glances laced with terror and confusion. Stepping aside, Isaiah ushered for us to come in and Chanyeol and I found ourselves in our mentor’s living room twice in one week.

“Lilith.” Isaiah’s tone was cautious, his voice barely loud enough to reach my ears over the sound of my own beating heart.

Taking a deep breath, I pulled the blade out from my coat pocket and set it on the mahogany table between the three of us.

“That’s my dagger.” I pointed out.

“Where did you get that?” Chanyeol asked.

“I found it under my pillow tonight.” I gulped, staring at the weapon as if hypnotized.

“How did it get there? And what did you mean by ‘she found me’?” Isaiah eyed the blade suspiciously.

“I don’t know.” I shook my head and wrapped my arms around my torso, breathing deeply to try and push back the panic attack that was working its way out. “All I know is, that dagger should be in the royal armory but it’s not, and it wasn’t there when we went to Agni either.”

“Wait, how do you know about that?” Chanyeol’s bewilderment was clear on his features.

“Well, remember when I told you about my impromptu visit to the armory that day you were busy with your family?” I paused, waiting until they both nodded, then continued. “I felt like someone was watching me the whole time I was there so I looked around, and when I got to the display case my dagger was missing and whoever was there with me ran away.”

“Lilith, why didn’t you tell me any of this?” Chanyeol’s voice was reprimanding.

“I didn’t want you to worry.” I whispered. “And when nothing happened, I forgot about it. Until now.”

“How do you know it was her?” He pondered.

“Who else would steal a royal dagger from the castle, a dagger that belongs to a supposedly dead queen, and plant it under my pillow?”

Silence engulfed the room once again as we all stared at the blade.

“What is that?” Isaiah asked as he reached for it.

I stepped forward, trying to see what he was seeing, when he pulled something off of the hilt. As he unfolded it, I almost face palmed myself for not noticing the note duck-taped to the edge of the hilt.

After going over the note a few times, Isaiah handed it over to me.

“Well that answers the question of who took the dagger.”

As Chanyeol leaned in to read the words over my shoulder, my eyes scanned over the paper and my blood froze in my veins.

 

“Condemned to death yet she still breathes.

A threat to our peace that must be defeated.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

 

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Kira asked again. We were heading towards the cafeteria, the cold breeze of the early morning shaking the drowsiness out of our bones. “You know you can tell me anything. I’m sure whatever it is we can work it out.”

“Thank you Kira, I really appreciate it.” I smiled sincerely at my best friend.

Her blue hair was a tangled mess on her head and her scarf and coat covered her entirely but I could still see the concern in her blue eyes and I didn’t know if I should be grateful to have such great friends or even more guilty for lying to them and putting their lives in danger.

“I’m just tired and overwhelmed. With the trials and the extra tutoring lessons I barely get any sleep anymore. You don’t have to worry about me, I’ll bounce back.”

The chatter of the cafeteria was loud enough to drown the paranoid thoughts in my head and I silently thanked Rose for insisting we get our breakfast here instead of the house as usual. Our table was already filled, Suho and Baekhyun making a mess as usual and Chayeol and Hyuna whispering amongst themselves. A pang of jealousy struck my heart at the site of them and my mood darkened even further. I knew I had no right to feel this way, but no matter how many times I tried to convince myself of that, it never seemed to work.

“Good morning everyone.” Rose beamed as she sat down next to Suho. How she could be so chipper so early in the morning remained a mystery to me.

“Oh joy.” Hyuna sat back in her chair and crossed her arms.

“Good morning everyone except her.” Kira rolled her eyes. Taking off her thick scarf she sat down and grabbed a pancake off of her twin’s plate. “What is she doing here?” Her tone was less than friendly.

“Would you two cut it out?” Chanyeol said. “It’s too earl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter