S I X

Undodged Bullet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

UNDODGEDBULLET | six

 

 

 

“Hyun-ah...”

 

Joohyun stirs awake from where she’s sitting slumped against the arm of the leather sofa. She blinks groggily, wondering how she had ended up taking a nap downstairs in the living hall. She didn’t even manage to go upstairs to their room? Her mother-in-law is looking down at her in concern, still in her work suit. She puts down her Dior handbag to sit next to her son’s wife.

 

“Hmm? Eomma-nim?”

 

“You came back early from the café, Hyun-ah?”

 

“Hmmm yes, Eomma-nim. My head hurts a little...”

 

The older woman tsk-tsks while she helps her daughter-in-law sit up straighter. “Sehun told me you’re not feeling well but I thought you’re fine already.”

 

“I was,” Joohyun gives her a weak smile, “It’s just this afternoon I suddenly don’t feel too good. Maybe I just need a good sleep.”

 

Her mother-in-law raises a brow. She stares at her for a long time until Joohyun begins to wonder if there’s something wrong.

 

“.....Eomma-nim?”

 

The older woman shakes her head and gives her daughter-in-law a bright smile; her hand going up to the girl’s slightly disheveled hair. She had loved Joohyun from the first time her mother had talked about her. Such a sweet, gentle soul that matches her outside beauty. Her son is lucky to have her; their whole family is lucky to have her. And now she wonders if the girl has unknowingly bestowed their family with another gift.

 

“Rest here first okay? Eomma will make you some soup.”

 

“But Eomma-nim, you must be tired from work—“

 

The older woman shakes her head. “You cook every day; make a lot of people happy with your food. Let Eomma cook for you tonight, okay?”

 

Joohyun just stares as her mother-in-law gives her a no-nonsense look and quickly nods in agreement. She knows better than to say no.

 

-----------------------------

 

Sehun’s mom makes sure Joohyun finishes everything in her bowl before she lets her go upstairs and rest. She waits patiently until she hears Joohyun close the door to her and Sehun’s room before she finally reaches for her phone and sends a group text.

 

‘Aigoo…. It seems like we might not have to wait too long for a grandchild after all. Change of plan: everyone, stop harassing them about a baby. Let’s just wait and see if my suspicion is true.’

 

She sits back and smirks as she read three excited replies to her message.

 

-----------------------------

 

“Hey, baby. Did I wake you up?”

 

Sehun can hear the gentle rustling of their blanket as his wife stirs awake. He closes his eyes and sees her in his mind; all warm and soft under the duvet. God, he wants her in his arms right now.

 

Joohyun clears , her voice husky from sleep. “It’s okay, honey. Are you still at the hotel? Have you had breakfast yet?”

 

“I just finished my morning workout. Gonna hit the shower after this and then straight to the meeting.”

 

She hums in reply. “Hmmm.... Don’t forget to eat though.”

 

He stares at the view outside the window of his Ritz Carlton hotel suite, one hand clasping the phone to his ear while he uses his gym shirt to wipe off the sweat from his neck. He had woken up that morning hot and needy for his wife, his hands automatically reaching out for her in the empty bed. Working out at the hotel’s gym has been the best method to clear his mind and take the edge off of his longing.

 

“I will baby, don’t worry. Central Park looks gorgeous today by the way. I wish you are here to see this.”

 

It’s nighttime in Seoul where his wife’s at but its bright and early here in New York. He’s been in the city for the past five days, streamlining a collaboration between Oh Jeweler with a world-famous jeweler at their New York headquarters. Nine more days until he’s done with that. Then he’ll have a one-day layover in London to meet his brother. And then finally, home.

 

Joohyun lets out a soft sigh and he can hear more rustling as she moves. “I wish that too. Send me a picture later.”

 

“Do you still have that headache?”

 

“I’m fine….Eomma-nim made me soup and I went to sleep straight after that. Seriously, I’m much better now. Eomma-nim’s soup is magic.”

 

“Eomma cooked? Whoa. She doesn’t cook for just anyone.” He breaks into a naughty grin as she lets out an adorable sounding yawn, suddenly remembering how she is usually a little more agreeable to his shenanigans when she’s all soft and sleepy like this. “Sooooo… What are you wearing right now?”

 

She lets out an amused huff. “Haish, seriously? Why do you ask?”

 

“So I can wallow in self-pity.”

 

“Haish.... Idiot.”

 

“I haven’t touched you in five long days, wife. God, going from having you every day to this…. Do you understand how freaking miserable I am right now? I’ve been taking out all my frustration on the gym equipment, the dumbbells legit wish they have legs so they can run away from me.”

 

She laughs softly at his long and winding complain. “Well, then why do you still want to ask, silly? It’ll only make you feel worse, trust me.”

 

“Hyun-ah. Tell me.”

 

The demanding tone of his voice makes her gives up right away. “Ugh…fine. I am currently wearing your shirt because it’s comfy and it smells like you…”

 

Damn. He clears his throat as the image of her small frame clad in his shirt floats in his mind. So hot, damn it. Stop asking now Sehun. “And what else, baby?”

 

“Hmmmm…? My underthings... and nothing else, I guess.”

 

You really are 100% certified idiot, Sehun. “Well, now I’m sufficiently depressed. Looks like its cold shower for me this morning.”

 

She bursts into laughter. “Told you.”

 

He sighs and shakes his head, now walking toward the bathroom for the said shower. “I want to FaceTime and look at you but you need your rest and I need to rush out very soon. Go back to sleep, baby. I’ll video call tomorrow, okay? I still think you should go see a doctor though. Don’t go to work if you’re still sick.”

 

“I’m fine...seriously.” She changes the subject, “By the way, have you worn the grey Gucci suit yet?”

 

“Not yet. Why?”

 

“Nothing. Are you gonna wear it today?”

 

He raises his brow. “Any particular reason why you keep asking about this specific suit?”

 

She starts to giggle and he immediately becomes suspicious. What is his wife up to? “Just wear it, honey. You look so handsome in grey. Talk to you tomorrow, okay? I love you so much.”

 

“Baby wait—“

 

“Bye honey, love you!”

 

-----------------------------

 

Sehun is standing in the elevator, one hand absentmindedly fixing his tie as the elevator descends from the 30th floor where he’s staying down to the lobby. It dings and stops at the 10th floor before a woman walks in. He is busy reading a work e-mail on the phone, unaware that the woman has done a double take when she sees the striking, broad-shouldered man in the expensive grey suit.

 

“Nice suit...”

 

Sehun pauses when he hears the breathy voice of someone greeting him in English. He looks up and sees an attractive woman smiling seductively his way. He raises a brow and gives her a quick smile of acknowledgment. The woman’s smile turns sultry at his polite reaction. She is tall with an exotic look; her sun-kissed skin and immaculate make-up make her look like a model straight off of the Victoria Secret’s runaway. The woman tosses her hair back and looks at him expectantly as if waiting for him to make a move.

 

Joohyun would probably call her beautiful. But Sehun’s definition of beautiful is one petite woman that barely reaches his shoulders, someone who can comfortably rest her head against his chest and listen to his heartbeat as she stands barefoot in his arms; someone that invokes crazy instincts out of him, one that he wants to shield and devour at the same time. Someone with a porcelain-like beauty, an innocent gaze and a smile that could make angels cry.

 

The elevator dings again and he wordlessly slides his phone into his pants’ pocket as he gets ready to walk away. He moves past the woman, looking straight ahead as he nonchalantly mutters under his breath.

 

“Thanks, my wife picked it for me.”

 

-----------------------------

 

“Who flirted with you…do they wanna die….” Joohyun mutters under her breath as she reads the text from her husband with a frown on her face. It’s early morning in Korea and she’s already at the café ready for the day.

 

“Morning! Well, you look terrible.”

 

Joohyun looks up from her phone to glare at her business partner from where she’s sitting by their kitchen counter. Wearing one of Sehun’s baggy sweaters and her own cropped leggings, Nike trainers and hair up in a messy up-do; she isn’t exactly feeling her prettiest. Especially not with a headache that has come back with a full force that morning. She straightens up and starts blowing on the hot peppermint tea in the mug in front of her. The herbal smell makes her feel a little better.

 

“Jeez, thanks for the compliment, Seulgi.”

 

Her friend just laughs at her grumpy face. “I’m just kidding. You can’t look bad even if you try, Joohyun-ah. I would hate you if I don’t love you so much. You’re feeling better today?”

 

“Hmm…. I just need to drink this then I’ll be fine.”

 

“It isn’t like you to get sick this long though. Maybe you should see a doctor. I know Sehun has been nagging you about that.”

 

“Pfffttt why go to a doctor for something mild like this.”

 

Seulgi shakes her head. “Don’t think I don’t know you. You’re the worst when it comes to going for a checkup. One of these days that husband of yours will find out about this and drag you to the clinic himself.”

 

Joohyun just huffs before she dramatically puts her hand on her chest. “Doctors can’t cure my illness Seulgi-ah, because it’s my heart that is sick. I bet it’ll go away once Sehun is home.”

 

Seulgi pretends to gag at her words. “I thought I could get a break from your lovey-dovey now that he’s not here but I was wrong, haish.”

 

“Yaah…we’re not that bad.”

 

“Not that bad? He basically eye-s you every time he sees you! And nowadays you do it right back!”

 

Joohyun almost chokes on her tea. “Yaah, Kang Seulgi!”

 

Seulgi just shakes her head. “As long as you do just that and not the real thing here in the café then I can live with it. Haish…seriously though, how long are you going to be this disgusting about each other?”

 

Her friend shrugs as she finishes the last of her tea. “I think we are going to be like this for a very long time, Seulgi-ah. Better close your eyes and pretend you don’t see us next time.”

 

-----------------------------

 

I can’t believe she did this.

 

Sehun wordlessly walks into the empty break room next to the conference room and hits the dial on his phone, one hand clenching into a fist in his pocket. He takes a deep breath as his wife’s cheerful chatter greets him.

 

“Honey? Aren’t you still at the meeting? Are you done already? Yaah, you said someone flirted with you? Are they pretty? Tell them your wife is really good with knives.”

 

“Bae Joohyun.”

 

She pauses at the tone of his voice. “….Yes?”

 

“You’re in a big trouble, aren’t you?”

 

“Errrr….I am?”

 

He shakes his head in disbelieve. “No wonder you wanted to pack my luggage yourself.”

 

“That’s because I love you, honey.”

 

“I have no doubt about that.” Not anymore. “But you also packed something else in the grey suit, didn’t you?”

 

“Oh?”

 

So sweet. So innocent. Just like she was on their wedding night up till the moment she took off her night robe and showed him what she was wearing underneath it. “‘Oh’? That’s all you’ve got to say?”

 

“I really have no idea what you’re talking about. You look so handsome in grey. That’s why I wanted you to wear it. And apparently, I was correct since random chicks were drooling all over you. Haish, can you stop being too good looking for your own good?”

 

“There’s something in the inside pocket of my grey suit, wife.”

 

“Oh? What? A handkerchief? Money? A pen? What?”

 

Now he knows she’s just mocking him. “You know exactly what you put in there.”

 

“I’ve no idea what you’re talking about but whatever it is maybe a mouse sneaks it inside, honey.”

 

His fist tightens around something flimsy inside his pocket, the texture silky against his rough palm. “A mouse sneaks your y black lingerie into my suit pocket?”

 

“…Oh! So that’s where it went! I thought I lost it at the dry cleaner. Oops?”

 

He growls low under his breath as he can hear her stifle her laughter. “Very funny. You’re driving me nuts right now, do you know that? You’re definitely going to pay for this.”

 

It takes a moment for her to reply, her voice filled with mirth at his expense. “I’m sorry…I was packing your luggage in our closet and I couldn’t help myself. It was just a joke, honey.”

 

“I almost pulled it out in front of everyone in the conference room.”

 

“Ommo, seriously?”

 

“I was looking for a pen; I put my hand in the pocket and knew right away what it was without even looking.” And now he can’t stop thinking about her and it’s a hassle when he has to sit in front of ten people and negotiate a proposal.

 

Her tone is gentle and apologetic after that. “Oh gosh... I’d thought you’d immediately notice when you wore it back in the hotel room…. I’m sorry honey… I was just playing... Forgive me?”

 

He inhales roughly. It’s too late now, she started it and now she has to see it through. “You better catch up on your sleep now, pretty girl. Because I’m not letting you sleep once I reach Seoul.”

 

He can imagine how her cheeks would attractively start to flare up right now at his promise. “Honey... It was just a joke...”

 

“Remember what happened the last time you were ‘joking’? That party we went with my parents?”

 

He can hear her inhaling sharply on the other end of the line. He smirks and opens his mouth to elaborate when suddenly someone walks into the room. He immediately straightens, giving the associate a nod as he internally groans. Damn it. He should’ve waited till he’s back at the hotel to call her. The associate lingers around as he starts the coffee machine so Sehun has no choice but to continue their conversation.

 

“Okay then, please send a copy to Sajang-nim for approval.”

 

His wife pauses in confusion. “Errr, what?”

 

He closes his eyes and continues. “Yes, it’s progressing smoothly. I think the first proposal is the most suitable.”

 

She quickly catches on. “There’s someone there with you, isn’t it?”

 

Another person comes in. . “Yes.”

 

“But honey, nobody there understands Hangul though?”

 

He clears his throat and shakes his head politely when the associate gestures to the coffee machine and offers him a cup. “We have several Korean-American associates here too, I think they will help convey what we want to achieve in this project.”

 

“Ohhhhh…….” She starts to giggle. “Hmmm…. so it’s probably not suitable to tell you that I’m lying in bed and missing you really bad right now? Do you want to know what I’m wearing? I can tell you if you want.”

 

He really should’ve waited till he’s alone to call her. It takes him a moment to reply, his voice straining with frustration. “I think that’s not the proposal we want.”

 

“Yeah? Which proposal should I submit then?” Her voice drops lower as she continues to . “Oh, by the way, the thing in your pocket…. Are you keeping it safe? Because you know that’s my favorite pair, right? Is that a suitable proposal, Director Oh?”

 

She never calls him that before. He lets out a strangled sound that he quickly covers up with a cough. “Err yes, that’s what we want.”

 

She laughs softly at his response. “Perfect then, Director Oh.”

 

Damn it. He doesn’t know why but he really likes it when she calls him that. “Yes, perfect. I have to go now. Thank you.”

 

He can still hear her laughing as he hastily hangs up the phone.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter