Chapter 1

The Dream That Grew Inside Me

Yixing walks to the desk in the corner of the room. He was going to sit but stopped when he saw the blue envelope on it.

To: The guy in a navy jacket. Yes, you.

It was what had been written on it. Yixing scanned himself. Me? he thought. He looked around the room. Books. People.

After some consideration, he decided to sit and open the blue thing. There's a letter in it.

 

 

Hi.

First of all, I know this looks creepy but don't be scared. I'm sorry, I simply don't know what to do anymore.

I don't know your name. Things I know about you are that you always come at 10 o'clock, in the same navy jacket every day, and headed straight to this desk.

Well, I think I know quite a lot of stuff about you except your name.

 

 

Yixing stopped. He was confused more than ever. He looked around the room again, more closely this time. The library isn't so crowded at this hour. Of course, he knows he comes at this hour every day. Between the racks, the desks, the couch. He didn't see anything suspicious. Well, read this letter wouldn't do me any harm. Right. He then continued.

 

 

Monday. The library was pretty much crowded that day. I only realized your presence when I walked past the rack near those desks.

You were reading one of my favorites, Wilde's. That was why you caught my attention at first. Just because of the book you read.

You left at 3, what I realized later to be your routine.

Tuesday. I didn't know when you were coming that day. I saw you at the same desk and read a different book. I shouldn't have minded much, but the expression in your eyes captivated me. You were seem hurt. I thought you must have a rough day or something terrible happened that day. I wasn't paying attention anymore, but then I saw you smile. Strange, this guy. I thought. Not long after, you stood and put the book on the rack. Classics. Then you left at 3 PM.

Wednesday. I was waiting for you. The curiosity inside of me wanted to know the time you comes. You always leave at the same time so that you might still be arriving at the same hour too, right? Anyway, I noticed you when the clock showed 10:00. The library was so quiet that day. I stared at you for a long time. Then it clicks me. You didn't have a bad day yesterday. Nor something terrible happened. You were sad because of the book. Then you smiled because of it too. You read the same book as yesterday.

I didn't know what's getting inside of me. I walked to you and stopped a few steps behind your chair.

"Excuse me," I said. But you said nothing. You didn't even flinch in your desk.

"Excuse me," I said again, a little louder this time. "Do you want to make a library card and borrow it?" I asked.

You gave no responses. Oh, actually you did. After a few seconds, I heard you laughed. But I knew why you laughed because of the story, the book. You seem unaware of my presence. I thought you might be those fellas that were so captivated in reading and don't want to be disturbed. So I left.

 

 

Yixing stopped again. Wow. He didn't know what to feel about the letter. He didn't know if he felt scared, confused, or flattered. He looked around again. If he always sees me, then he's here right now, right? Does it mean he's here every day too?

 

 

Thursday. I was pretty sure you'll come again at the same hour that day. This might sound strange to you. But I realized your presence excites me to go here too. What book would you read today? I knew you finished the book before yesterday. Something crossed my mind. I walked to the Classics rack and pulled out Harper Lee's book. Mockingbird. That was my favorite. I put it on your desk with the notes I wrote. Do you remember?

 

 

Of course, Yixing thought. So that note was really for him. He thought it was left behind by another visitor unintentionally.

'The story's great. Have you read this one?' the notes said.

 

 

Then you read it. I smiled. It felt great. I saw expressions on your face. I was always captivated by your eyes. They don't lie, just like a little child mesmerized by the world. I could easily know what you felt only by looking at them: your furrowed eyebrows, the quiver on your lips, the eye that smiled. It was so beautiful. Sometimes I wonder how you could don't feel a thing when someone has been staring at you for a long time.

 

 

Yixing blushed. This feels like a love letter, or is it really? He couldn't help to read further.

 

 

I'm sorry if you didn't like what I've been written so far. But, please read it till the end, till the last word. I wouldn't bother you anymore if you did.

Anyway, Thursday night was a long night. I kept thinking about you. I thought I was insane. I had only seen you for like four days, and your presence affected me that much. Thoughts run on my mind all night. I couldn't sleep. The moment I close, my eyes was the moment your image appeared. Then I came to a conclusion. I'm not going to regret anything in my life. So, this morning I wrote this letter.

 

You, the guy whose name doesn't matter anymore, I think I like you.

No, I'm pretty sure I like you.

 

At least I said it. Well, not literally said it with voices, but still. I'm relieved you know what I feel. Even though you may have no idea who I am, I can complain no more.

Goodbye. Have a good life.

 

 

 

And there is nothing more. That's the end of the letter. What. Yixing thought. So what's the point of he's confessing? He wants to make sure I know about his feelings? And didn't even think what I had in mind, what my responses would be? Yixing is upset. He tried to calm himself. Then other thoughts crossed his mind. Wait. Why I didn't even think about it before. He smiled. I got you.

 

 

****

 

 

Junmyeon was sitting in his desk in the center of the library when a piece of paper slipped on his desk.

 

The name is Yixing. Zhang Yixing.

 

He was confused by the handwriting. Until he realized a shadow has appeared before him. He looked up and saw a guy in the navy jacket smile shyly. Junmyeon didn't know what to do. He remained silent for a while. The guy before him takes the paper and writes something before handing it back to him.

 

I'm deaf. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you.

 

Junmyeon is looking back at him with an 'o' shape in his mouth. Embarrassment started to creep on him. He took a pen and writes something.

 

No, I'm the one who should apologize. I'm sorry, I didn't know back then.

 

Yixing read the sentences and write his answers.

 

It's okay. So, I see you can't read signs?

 

Junmyeon read it and looked back at Yixing. He shook his head as an answer.

Yixing then takes the paper back and write again.

 

It's okay. I can read lips too.

And your name is?

 

Junmyeon read it. Of course, you fool, you haven't told him yours. Junmyeon writes down his name.

 

My bad. I'm Junmyeon. Kim Junmyeon.

 

Yixing looks at it for a moment. Then he smiled. He could see Junmyeon blushing and tried to avoid his gaze.

Then something crossed in Junmyeon's mind. He looks at the latter with a curious gaze. Yixing looked at him and studied his face.

Junmyeon mouthed something to him.

 

How do you know it was me?

 

Yixing smiled again. He started to write again, and this time it took longer. When he's done, he handed the paper to Junmyeon.

 

You had it wrong if you thought I would have no idea.

I came here every day for the last two years. I know every corner of this library, every rack.

You told me you saw me for the first time on Monday. Well, I have to look around and looking for an unfamiliar face for the past week. I haven't seen you before. You're the only staff with an unfamiliar face. So, yeah, that is how I figured it out.

You fool. You didn't even want to know what my answer would be? You didn't even think about what I had in mind?

 

Junmyeon read it. He felt stupid and ashamed of himself. He mouthed his answers without even looking Yixing in the eyes.

 

Well, I'm sure curious about that. But I don't want to bother you further.

 

Yixing chuckled. He wrote something and handed the paper again. Then he leaves without any words. Only smile in his lips.

 

Come tomorrow. And the day after that. Sit beside me.

 

Junmyeon read it and can't help a smile formed in his lips. Then he looked at the clock and realized it hasn't 3 PM yet.