Chapter 1

Let Me Love You

While byul and solar got closer together, Solar passed byul and walked toward Wheein and Hwasa.

 

“Wheein! Hyejin! What took you guys so long to get down here. Do you know how long I waited for both of you.”

 

“Sorry solar. Mrs. Sohee stopped us and asked us for help. We had to carry some books back to the library. We’ll make it up to you. Come on let’s go!”

 

When they were walking back down to the gate Wheein noticed Byul.

 

“Byul! Are you still waiting to be picked up?”

 

Byul looked up at wheein nodding her head.

 

“Do you need a ride? You can sit on the back of my bike, we’ll hold your crutches too! Come on it’ll be fun!”

 

“No, it’s okay. My dad should be here any second.”

 

“Ahh… Is that so, well maybe next time. See you tomorrow!”

 

“See you tomorrow too.”

 

Hyejin nugged wheein in the ribs.

 

“Wheein I think you should stop. I don’t think she wants to be friends with us.”

 

“She’s just shy, give her some time. Right Solar!”

 

Solar smiled and looked at both of them. They began to walk home again.

--

 

A week passed and today was clean up day in their classrooms. When the teacher arrived she already choose each others partners to do their duty. The students whined, they rather had played the Sadari game than the teacher picking them.

 

“Alright kids enough with the whining, would you rather do all your duties alone. I can make up more jobs for you guys to do!”

 

“NO! We love how you picked our partners!”

 

The students said shouting.

“All right let's see here,

  • Joo Hyun and Jin Joo…

  • Wheein and Hwasa…

  • Mina and Jae Eun…

  • Solar and Byul...

These are your partners for the day go to them right now.”

 

As the teacher was done speaking the kids went to their partners. Instead of byul finding her partner she went straight up to the teacher to talk with her for a minute.

 

“Umahhh… I mean Mrs. Sohee, I don’t feel comfortable with Solar can you switch my partner with wheein. I’m sorry”

 

“Why do you feel uncomfortable? If I change you guys everyone is going to want to change their partners.”

 

“I’ll tell you when I go home. Just this once. I beg of you.”

 

“Okay… Just this once, if you do this again I won’t accept your request.”

 

The teacher jokingly raised her hand up at byul. She called up wheein.

 

“Wheein and Solar switch. Wheein you’re with byul now you two are going to go deliver paper. I’m going to the office real quick to check up on something and, I need solar to keep an eye on the classroom since she’s the class president.”

 

As they switched the class whined about wanting to switch their partners too, but the teacher told them to zip it before she gave the more cleaning jobs after this. When wheein left with byul she started to joke around about byul and solar. She joked about them having a secret relationship. Byul told wheein to shut up before she kills her. Even though byul said she doesn’t like Solar wheein still about it.

 

As they delivered paper to all the lower levels below them byul sat on the cart handing the papers to the teachers and students to be passed around. It was a flyer saying that there will be a talent show coming up soon held by the seniors. It was to raise money for the senior graduation trip coming up.

 

When wheein and byul were done delivering the papers to every single classroom, they went back before the bell rung. They made it just in time before the bell rung. Byul had to stay after class because she was getting a ride from Sohee today since her dad had to do overtime.

 

2 hours passed and sohee just got done with her job. Byul fell asleep and was woken up. When byul woke up they walked to the car about to drive back home. On the ride home sohee asked questions about her and solar.

 

“Can you tell me why you didn’t want to be partners with solar. If something happened between you guys i’m going to make you guys settle it, tell me.”

 

Byul started to get a little teary eye, she knew how bad she hurt solar since her mom practically killed her whole family.

 

“Umma… I killed her family that day. They died because of me. I was arguing with my mom and then everything went downhill because of that.”

 

Sohee stopped driving and parked on the side turning on her emergency lights. She took off her seatbelt and hugged byul. Sohee comforted her as a teacher and a mother.

 

“Byul, you didn’t kill them. It was your mom’s fault she was driving not you. Don’t feel guilty over this. I’m always here for you byul don’t forget that. I love you as my own.”

 

Byul couldn’t stop her tears overflowing her eyes. She never showed her soft side to anyone before, she always was a tough girl who always hid her emotions. As they got home, she went to her room, she thought the best she could do was apologize to solar face to face.

--

 

A month had passed, and byul still hadn’t had enough courage to apologize to solar, but today she was finally getting off her crutches. They did another CT scan just to make sure her blood vessels weren't weakening since she had brain surgery.

 

“Everything looks good Ms. Byul. Just be very careful for now, but you’re healing very well. If you have any concerns let me know. If you do start to have major headaches or anything off you need to come back and see me right away okay”

 

Byul agreed and shook hands with her doctor just before leaving. Her mom opened the door for her and started driving back to school since the appointment was before school started. Sohee dropped byul off at home to get her bike to ride to school.

 

When byul arrived to school she sat in her desk thinking about the whole apologizing thing she wanted to do but she just didn’t have enough courage. Byul and solar never talked to another, they always distanced themselves and avoided another. When wheein came in she sat next to byul asking her if she’d like to hang out later tonight, but she declined saying she had something important to do after school.

 

Class ended and byul had to start riding the bike home and to school now. Byul lived 20 minutes away from the school, so it wasn’t that bad. She got her bike and leaned against the gate waiting for solar in the front. As she spotted, she lifted her arm up and stopped her, she grabbed solar by the hand pulling her away from the walkway.

 

Byul dropped one of her knees to the ground with her other leg following. Byul was on both of her knees looking at the ground unable to look at solars face. Some students began to stop and stare at the two.

 

“Solar, i’m sorry. I also want to apologize on my mom's behalf too for killing your whole family. I wish I could take back that day because of my immature self I had an argument with my mom causing the accident. I just wanted to say i’m really sorry.”

 

“Do you not have any shame. I know who you are, why are you apologizing to me, sorry isn’t going to bring my family back to life is it. I don’t need your apology, it isn’t going to help change anything. So get off the floor, people are staring.”

 

Solar raised her hand toward byul to help her up. Byul looked at solar and avoided her hand. She pushed her hand out of her face and walked away from her. When she got home she threw her bike on the porch and walked in her room.

 

When she got home she layed on her bed looking up at her ceiling. Today was a rough start for her, everything went unplanned.

 

“Why is this so hard!!!”

 

She threw her pillow against the wall knocking down her picture frames. Her dad came in her room to check on her since she made a loud noise in her room.

 

“Byul! What are you doing! You better quit it right now!”

 

“Appa, did you know this is the first time you checked up on me! You don’t even care about me. You don’t know anything that's going on in my life right now. I don’t even want to live here! Take me back to Seoul!”

 

“Shut up! I had enough of you today! Go get out then! I don’t need you here! You’re just like your mom you should have..!

 

“What! I should have died with her! Huh! Is that what you were going to say! I know I should have died with her!

 

“Byul… that’s not what I meant. Where do you think you’re going byul! Get back here!”

 

Byul grabbed her stuff and started walking out of the house. As she walked out of the house sohee had just got home. Byul ran passed her disappearing into the darkness. Sohee walked into the house finding stuff broken and missing in byul's room. She went to go find her husband.

 

“Byul’s dad! What did you do! Where did she go!”

 

“Don’t worry! She has nowhere to go. She’ll be back soon.”

 

“And if she doesn’t?”

 

“We’ll figure it out!”

--

 

As byul left she used her phone and called wheein to see if she could stay over her house. When she got to wheein’s house she told byul to be quit because her parents were sleeping.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, I just had a little fight with my parents.”

 

“You want some soju?”

 

“I’m up for it.”

 

Wheein brought soju up stairs and went into her room. She poured drinks for both of them to drink. They finished 2 bottles by themselves. Byul was a little buzzed as well as wheein. They enjoyed the cold air from outside of the window.

 

“Wahh! Its so refreshing. Wheein, thank you for letting me stay over.”

 

“No problem, if you need anything just call me i’ll always be here for you.”

 

“Thank you Wheein.”

 

They started to drink another bottle which ended up being 2 more bottles of soju.

 

“Wheein did you know something i’ve been keeping from you. I killed your best friend's family. God should had just killed me instead of her family. I don’t even want to live, life is so hard on me. I don’t even think my dad wants me here.”


 

As byul looked over her shoulder she saw wheein had knocked out. Byul took another shot before her vision slowly started to fade and before she knew it she knocked out on the floor with wheein.