Chapter 4

Let Me Love You

Solar woke up only seeing a girl next to her. “What happened yesterday?” She looked around into an unfamiliar house. “Oh my gosh! Halmoni must be worried about me!” She grabbed her belongings and ran home.

---

As she opened the door she saw her grandma sitting on the sofa glaring at her. “Annyeong harmoni!” She played it off, but her grandma walked towards her and raised her hand. She flinched. “Where have you been! With a boy? If you get pregnant is he going to take care of you!” The grandma said sternly. The scared girl started laughing while begging her grandma.

 

“No… Hahaha how would I get pregnant if I was with a girl all this time.” She giggled grabbing onto her grandma's arm. “Halmoni… don’t be so angry hmm.” The grandma slowly lowered her hand accepting her granddaughter’s apology. “Bring her to the house I want to know who she is, I want to confirm you aren’t lying. I know it isn’t wheein or hwasa because they would have called me if you were sleeping over.” The girl was stunned.

 

“But halmoni!” The girl whinned. I mean she barely knew the girl. “No excuses Yongsun! Tonight and if you don’t you are grounded.” She said bluntly. She knew her grandma was serious when she called her by her real name. All she could do was nod and do as commanded.

---

When yul woke up she saw that the girl had left without saying thank you. She got up and stretched. “Wow that girl. Whatever.” She walked and opened up the fridge, all there was, was kimbap. She sighed but had no choice but to eat that. As she started to eat her first bite the doorbell went off. “Really!” She got up and opened the door.

 

As she opened the door she saw it was the girl who left without a word. “Ahh.. Hello one night stand!” She smirked. The girl was taken back. “What did you say” The asked. “Nothing, you wanna come in so I can eat?” She gestured. Solar came in and sat on the sofa. There was an awkward silence between the two.

 

To make t less uncomfortable moonbyul started the conversation. “Hmmm. So why are you here?” She questioned popping a kimbap in . “My grandma wants to meet you. Dinner at my house.” The girl choked on her food coughing. She drank some water before answering. “Why?” She didn't know what to say.

 

“Can you just come! I don’t want to be grounded and if i am grounded we can practice together meaning you won’t graduate.” She annoyingly spoke. “How do you know that. Who told you!” She put her glass of water down. “Wheein did! So can you just come!” The girl thought about about it  and agreed knowing her grade would be affected if she didn’t. “Okay… What time then…”

Yongsun was taken back. “6 P.M Here is my address. Don’t forget to come!” She glared into her eyes. Byul giggled. “This address would have been useful yesterday.”

 

“What happened yesterday! Did you drug me!”

 

“No! I’m not that type of person. You had a fever and you wouldn’t wake up.”

 

“Ahh… Thank you. I guess I will get going. Don’t forget to come.” The girl nodded her head as she closed the door. “What a day.”

---

Time was ticking and it was getting closer and closer to the dinner. Byul got dressed and started to bike to solar’s house.

 

*KNOCK KNOCK*

 

Solar heard the door and opened it. “Come in” She awkwardly said. She guided her to the living room where her grandpa was. “Sit down. I’ll be back I have to help cook.” She quickly walked away before she could get a word out of . All se could do was sit down with the grandpa.

 

“Hello. I’m moonbyul” She bowed down. She stood back up without a response sitting down awkwardly. All she could do was watch the tv. She took out her phone and started to text wheein. “Wheein you are going to pay for this! You made her grandma bring me to her house, it’s so awkward!”

 

“Everything is going to be fine. I’m sorry alright i’ll pay you back. Sorry for not answering your call yesterday something urgent came up.” Byul closed her phone, stressed on what was going to happen next. So many regrets going through her head, she should have never accepted wheein’s invite. Plus she barely knows this girl. A nudge caught her off guard and scared her.

 

“Byul come eat. Get up.” Solar showed her to the dinner table guiding her to her seat. She sat next to Solar across from her grandma. Solar nudged her to introduce herself. She quickly stood up and bowed down. “Annyeong. I’m Moonbyul. Thank you for inviting me.” The grandma nodded, and byul sat down.

 

“Let’s eat everyone.” Byul felt awkward and felt like an outcast. She grabbed little portions of the food. The grandma called her out at the table. “Does the food not suit your tastebuds?” She was again caught off guard. “No! The food taste good.” Byul was startled and ate more.

 

“Byul. I want to know why you were with Solar yesterday. Why did she not come home all night. Tell me.” The girl practically froze and felt shivers through her body. “Oh.. You see yesterday Solar and I have a singing project so we stayed after school then we were suppose to hang out with wheein, but she canceled…”

 

“No, get to the point tell me why she didn’t come home last night.”

 

“Ahh… you see after wheein canceled, I tried waking solar up, but she wouldn’t get up. I asked her where she lived and she wouldn’t get up and I asked for her address.” Byul was cut off from the grandma once again.

 

“No get to the point.”

 

Byul was stuttering her words. “Solar ended up having a fever so I biked her all the way home to my house and I took care of her for the rest of the night.” The grandma started laughing. “Really!” Both solar and byul were left in shock. “Okay, I see it is just this dumb girls fault.” Byul smiled awkwardly.

 

As they finished dinner the grandma took byul to sit in the livingroom. “Solar go to the room I want to talk to byul alone.” Byul and solar eyes met, byul didn’t want solar to leave her alone with her grandma. Solar followed her grandma’s order. “Moonbyul follow me outside.” The girl nodded her head. As they got outside the grandma closed the door behind them.

 

“Moonbyul… So how long have you lived here?”

 

“About 6 months now. I moved here because of an incident.”

 

“What incident?” Byul got on her knees tearing up looking up into the grandma’s eyes. She started to tear up without realizing it.

 

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I know I shouldn’t be forgiven, but my mom… my mom killed your family.” She couldn’t resist the tears from flowing through her eyes. “I know I shouldn’t even be talking to you or solar. But I am truly sorry! I… I… I caused the accident that night, I argued with my mom.” She stuttered with tears dripping to the floor from her cheeks.

 

“I killed your whole family. It was a manslaughter. I replay it over and over in my head. Whenever I see your granddaughter all I can say is sorry.”

 

The grandma started to talk. “Are you done now?” Byul looked up at her. “You see I already know who you are. Everything, I know what happened that night I know you and solar’s relationship.” She paused. “I just wanted to meet you and tell you this. It isn’t your fault so forget about the past.” She gestured.

 

“Byul, look at me. I don’t blame you for the death of my family. I don’t blame your mom either, I believe everything was just fate. My son’s family just had a short life. I’m happy enough having solar, so just forget everything hmm.” She knelt down to the crying child. She hugged her, a hug byul needed. She needed comforting.

 

“Byul you lost your family too. Your mom was your only family then too, I know everything.” The grandma smiled patting the child’s hair. “Byul promise me you will forget. All I ask is for you to become close with my solar. You and her need to talk, you guys went through the same traumatic event, you guys can comfort one another.”

 

“I need someone to comfort her and make sure she won’t go through this again. Pretty soon her grandpa and I won’t be here no longer, so please talk to her. She doesn’t show her feelings, I just want her to be okay.” She grabbed byul and stood up. “So please don’t cry. If you need me too i’m here for you. You remind me of your dad.”

 

Byul got up and hugged the old lady. “Thank you halmoni. And i’m truly sorry” She wiped her tears and looked at the smiling old lady. “You’re like a grandma I wished I had.” She giggled. “Okay… Thank you for dinner halmoni! I appreciate it a lot.” She hugged the grandma one last time before getting on her bike.

 

“Hmm… Come visit me often! And be safe!” As she sent her off she turned around catching solar peeping through the window. The old lady pointed at the young lady. “YOU!”

---

“Umma, Appa you’re back.” She got off her bike. “Where have you been all day! We’ve been searching for you since 7 p.m.  and look what time it is now. It is 12. Tell me!”

 

“You see what happened was.” Her dad came up to her and slapped her with all his might. She caressed her cheek without any emotion showing. “Byul’s dad Why would you do that! That isn’t right!” She came to comfort byul but she threw her hand away. “You are always up to trouble, you’re always gone and up to no good.”

 

“Ahh.. Is that right! It’s because I am mom’s child isn’t it, you hate her I know it! I’m moving out of this ing house I hate it! When you are at your lowest and come ask me for help I won’t help you. I know you wish I was never born, I am the mistake of your life!”

There was silence. Byul went upstairs packing all her belongings. There was nothing left in her room, it was empty as she once got it. The step mom came in and stopped her from leaving. “Byul! Where are you going! Your father didn’t mean that just go unpack your things byul!”

 

“Let go of me! You can stop pretending to care for me! Plus you’re not even my real mom you’re just my teacher. We are not related anyhow! Get out of my way!” She pushed off her hand leaving her stunned. She walked out of the house with no regrets.

 

As she left she called wheein about a hundred times, but she didn’t answer. She couldn’t call hwasa because they weren't that close so she had one last option and dialed the number. “Hello”

 

“Solar… Can I stay at your place for awhile. Please.”

 

“Okay… Call me when you get here I don’t want to wake my grandma and grandpa.” Byul went straight to her house after the call.

 

As she arrived she opened the door for byul and they quietly went to her room. “Byul what happened? Your face is red and puffy.”

 

“No, it’s nothing.” She tried to brush it off. Solar could see the hand prints. She got up and went to get some ice for her.

 

“Are you hungry or thirsty?” She questioned but the girl simply denied. They headed back to her room. “You ran away huh?” THe younger girl nodded.

 

“I am not living with them anymore. I’m moving into my own apartment once I get a job. I hate it at home. And… you know my step mom already..” Yongsun looked at her in surprise. “It is our teacher” She nudged her giggling.

 

“Really!?” Byul smiled. “Okay that is enough for today lets sleep.”


“I’m sorry, but byul we have to share the bed because all the guest blankets are in my grandma’s room. I’m sorry.” She awkwardly said. “It’s fine scoot over. Goodnight Solar.” She smiled. “Goodnight byul”