That's how you do it

Totally Not Interested in the Basketball Team Captain

 

Tzuyu woke up to the memory of last night. 

So it must have been a dream, right? But how could it be when Tzuyu could still feel Chaeyoung's lips lingering on hers? 

The smell of fresh pancakes called Tzuyu to get ready and head downstairs as soon as possible. 

“You took quite some time to give Chaeyoung whatever she left at the locker room yesterday.” Her mom nonchalantly said, serving Tzuyu her breakfast. 

Tzuyu looked down at her plate trying to hide her red cheeks.  

“Hm, yeah. We ended up talking about the strategy for our team. Basketball.” 

Her mother stared at her for a few seconds. 

“I see.” 

Tzuyu could see the hidden smirk on her mother's lips. Was she that obvious? 

She ate her food in light speed so she would avoid any unwanted awkward conversation, then got up, sprinting towards the front door. 

“See you later mom. I’ll probably be home late.” 

“Okay honey, don’t arrive too late and have fun with Chaeyoung.” 

Yeah, she was that obvious.  

--- 

Tzuyu stepped into the school's main hall and headed to her locker to get the books for first period. Then it occurred to her... what exactly would happen when Chaeyoung first saw her this morning? 

She didn't have to wonder much, as she was already right there when she closed her locker. 

“Good morning.” Chaeyoung said, and standing in her toes, she pecked Tzuyu’s cheek, way too close to her lips. 

Tzuyu froze, her eyes glued to the shorter girl. Not even a good morning she could say back. 

“I’ll see you later at lunch.” Chaeyoung whispered near her ear, standing on her toes again. 

And she left with a smirk on her lips, leaving a nodding Tzuyu back.  

When she decided to wake up from her short day dream and have a look around, she wished she was still day dreaming.  

People. Staring, judging

Of course.  

Was that Chaeyoung? Why would the basketball team captain, the cool and popular Chaeyoung kiss Tzuyu in the middle of the school? 

“You have a lot to tell me don’t you, Tzu?” Momo won Tzuyu's attention, saving her from the prying eyes, but she could see the discomfort on her expression. Momo looked around. “Tsk, bunch of jealous kids.” 

Momo grabbed Tzuyu and dragged her to their classroom.  

“Are you guys finally dating?” Momo asked as soon as they sat down. 

Tzuyu nodded.  

“Well, you’re welcome.” Momo crossed her arms feeling all proud.  

“Why do people have to be like this?” Tzuyu asked, looking down at her lap.  

Momo was taken aback by such question. Never in her life had she seen Tzuyu give a about what other people thought. 

“Tzuyu…” Momo grabbed her hands. “They're probably just confused. You know how people always liked to judge you, and if they don't know the real you, they would obviously be confused that Chaeyoung is close with you. But that doesn't matter, you finally accepted and embraced yours and her feelings. You’re happy, aren't you?” 

“Yes, of course I am, but-“ 

“No, stop.  people, who cares what they think? Chaeyoung doesn’t, or else she wouldn’t kiss you in front of everybody.” 

“That's exactly the problem!” 

Momo frowned.  

“You don’t want her to do it in front of people?” 

“It’s not that I don’t want it…” 

“Are you ashamed or afraid of something?” 

“No, it’s not for me, it’s for her!” 

Momo frowned once again.  

“I don’t understand.” 

“You see, I don’t want people to think bad things about her just because she’s with me. People may start judging and disliking her because of me. And I bet there’s people who watch the basketball games because of her, and if they know she’s with me they may stop going and supporting her and basketball is the most important thing of her life. I don’t wanna ruin any of that! I love her but I don’t want to be selfish and make her sacrifice what she loves!” 

Momo's chin fell, and when she noticed, there were small crystal dots on Tzuyu's eyes. 

“I know you care for her, but believe me, she doesn’t give a about people. If there’s people that even stop supporting her because of that, I don't think she would even notice over the dozens of others that keep cheering for the team.” 

Tzuyu met Momo's eyes. 

“I’m sure she’s more than proud to be your girlfriend and to show it to the whole school.” 

--- 

Tzuyu tried her best to believe Momo, but it was harder than she imagined. 

Lunch break was approaching and Tzuyu was getting more nervous by the second. What if Chaeyoung did it again, in the middle of the cafeteria? What would people think or comment about it? 

After getting her food, she sat with Momo in their usual table, waiting anxiously for her girlfriend to appear. 

Tzuyu felt a pair of arms snaking around her neck from behind. She turned her head to meet a grinning Chaeyoung. Without words, she planted a kiss on the same spot as earlier. 

“I missed you.” Chaeyoung whispered before letting go and sitting in front of her. 

Tzuyu looked around. Mina sat in front of Momo and shot them a giggle. There were people staring directly at her, others looking towards their table while whispering things, some didn’t even notice. 

She felt a hand grabbing hers underneath the table. Tzuyu looked at Momo to find a smile, as she squeezed her hand. 

“Everything okay, Tzuyu?” Chaeyoung asked with worried eyes, leaning forward on the table. 

Just when Tzuyu was about to speak, she saw the basketball team approaching from behind Chaeyoung, with smirks on their faces. 

“Did the great Chaeyoung finally conquer her princess?” Jeongyeon said, placing an arm around her shoulders. 

Tzuyu wished she could teleport out of there. 

“Jeongyeon, please stop embarrassing yourself.” 

“But for real now, congrats. You make a really cute couple. With the height difference and all.” Minkyung said, smiling at the both, still with a hint of mischief in her voice. 

“Thank you, Minky. Wanna talk about your height difference with Yebin too?” Chaeyoung retorted, catching the tall girl of guard. 

“It's just as cute. And by the way, she's still taller than you." 

“Tzuyu, any words?” Sowon asked. 

She raised her head after hearing her name, to find all their eyes on her. 

“I… I’m very happy.” She muttered. 

Chaeyoung smiled shyly, looking away with red covering her face. 

“Omo... You guys are really cute.” Mina teased, switching her attention between them. 

“Totally different from you and Momo.”   

“Wow, way to treat your best friend, who encouraged and helped you so much!” 

“And I had to listen to you bragging about having a girlfriend ever since you two started dating!” Chaeyoung hissed, pushing her away, feeling her face getting even hotter. 

“You’re too salty, maybe you need a kiss. Tzuyu, get a grip on your girlfriend!” Jeongyeon said, making the girls laugh. 

“Seriously now, can you stop with all of the teasing? Half of you are hopeless loners anyway.” Chaeyoung whined, becoming uncomfortable. 

When Chaeyoung looked ahead again to check on Tzuyu, she found her getting up from her seat. Taking a few big steps, she walked towards Chaeyoung, feeling all eyes on her. And when she was about to ask if everything was fine, Tzuyu cupped her cheeks and leaned in, crashing her lips on hers. 

Tzuyu could hear the gasps in the background. After a couple seconds, she pulled away, her gut twisting with all the eyes on her. 

She looked around. Chaeyoung had her chin dropped, and all of the cafeteria seemed to be in the middle of a mannequin challenge. Tzuyu shared a look with Momo, as to let her know how helpful their conversation in the morning had been. 

The other students had lots of different reactions. Some people seemed annoyed and uncomfortable, while others laughed and some smiled. 

“That's how you do it!" Someone shouted. 

And that simple comment erupted more cheerful comments, to the point people started clapping and actually cheering for them. Tzuyu never expected that reaction. Looking back at Chaeyoung, the latter was also looking around, dumbfounded.  

Tzuyu flipped her hair, held her chin high, and then strutted all the way back to her seat, more confident than ever. 

Jeongyeon had a smirk on her face and opened  to say something to Chaeyoung. By the looks of it, something highly inappropriate. 

"Don't even think about it, Jeongyeon." Chaeyoung held up a hand and the girl recoiled, sulking like a puppy. "Since we're all here, I have awesome news. I just ran into coach, and..." 

"And?!" Minkyung demanded, anxious with Chaeyoung's suspense. 

"The National High School Basketball Championship is just around the corner, right? Ladies, get your head in the game. We have our first qualifier game in two weeks!" 

---

A/N: So as you can see there will be an extra chapter more dedicated to basketball hehehe c:
I'm sorry for the long wait and the short chapter. I've been a bit uninspired lately, but I'm also preparing my next stories ^^

Thank you everyone <3