Make a pro out of me

Totally Not Interested in the Basketball Team Captain

 

Since that game, Tzuyu started seeing Chaeyoung everywhere. By the lockers, in the cafeteria, in the corridors. Had she just been hiding all this time, or was it that Tzuyu simply never took a second look at her? 

Chaeyoung was the epitome of cool. Her style was unique. She could either wear punk style, with a leather jacket and some band t shirt and tight jeans, or totally sporty, or even chic, and she didn't give a single  what anyone thought about anything she wore. 

Her short hair gave her a boyish look, but she looked y really good with it. Some days she would style it down, like a bowl cut, making her look like a kid; other days she would style it up or to one side, giving her an even cooler aura. Not to mention how cute she looked with those round glasses she used occasionally, giving her a more intellectual appeal. 

Even the way she walked, talked with her friends or laughed – Tzuyu noticed every little detail of what she did and how she did it, and with each little thing she learned about her, she was more and more drawn to her. 

When Monday morning classes were over and it was finally time to grace their stomachs with subpar quality cafeteria food, Tzuyu focused more on staring at Chaeyoung instead of on her food. At a point, Chaeyoung thought it was a good idea to look back at her, their eyes meeting for the first time. Tzuyu had never felt her heart beat so fast, since until that moment, she was convinced her heart was made of stone. Chaeyoung smiled at her, SMILED, and Tzuyu thought she would collapse. Tzuyu put out the lamest, most awkward attempt for a smile she ever had. 

Mina nudged Chaeyoung, stealing her attention. Tzuyu was internally thanking her, because she didn't seem to find the courage to break the stare.  

"So, it's been three days, how's your progress with Mina?" Tzuyu turned to Momo, telling her heart to calm the down. 

"Hey, it was the weekend, those days shouldn't count! How would I make any progress on a weekend?" 

"The more you delay it, the hardest it gets." Tzuyu took a sip on her drink. 

Momo huffed. 

"I made a lot of psychological progress." 

"What kind of progress is that?" 

"I'm still mentally preparing to talk to her." 

Tzuyu scoffed. 

"What is there to prepare? Just go and talk to her." 

"And say what? It's not that easy!" Momo whined. 

"Because you're making it much harder than it actually is." 

Momo sulked and continued munching on her sandwich. 

Tzuyu shook her head and her eyes involuntarily wandered to Chaeyoung, only to find her already staring back. She wanted to look away, because Tzuyu felt a bit of her soul leave her body when she locked eyes with her, but a weird force kept their eyes glued. 

"How should I approach her?" Momo asked. 

She waited for the answer that didn't come. Momo looked at Tzuyu and then in the direction she was looking at. Chaeyoung noticed Momo's eyes also on her, so she drifted her attention back to the conversation with Mina and the others.  

“Did I interrupt something?”  

“Yes. I mean, no. Did you say something?” Tzuyu asked, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, denouncing her red cheeks. 

“You’re blushing. Zhou Tzuyu is actually flustered... see, you have feelings after all.” 

“It's a medical condition. Called... rosacea. It's too hot in here.” Tzuyu said, fanning her face with her hand. 

“A medical condition called crushing-on-Chaeyoung-itis. You're making it too obvious, stop staring or you'll creep her out.” 

“And you're trying too hard to force me to have a crush on Chaeyoung so you can distract me from holding you accountable with asking Mina out.” 

Momo chuckled.  

"You know what? Your 'staring at her so blatantly until she looks back' plan might actually work. I'm going to stare at Mina until she looks back at me.” 

“Good luck.” Tzuyu rolled her eyes. 

Momo put her elbows on the tablet and supported her chin on the palm of her hands, her eyes on Mina. She was talking with Chaeyoung, making some gestures with her hands. Momo didn't understand how people could say she was a . Just... look at that adorable piece of sunshine, and that gummy smile that could cure cancer and- 

“Momo, you look utterly ridiculous.” Tzuyu said, showing her disgust for the silly grin on Momo's face. 

“Ridiculously in love.” She muttered dreamily. 

Tzuyu faked a gag and from the corner of her eye, she could see Chaeyoung staring at her again. God, what was happening with her?  

Never in Zhou Tzuyu’s life would she admit she was attracted to someone, not even to herself. Yet, her heart spoke another language, one she didn't understand. It told her to do things she would never do.  

Like the thing she had been thinking about all weekend - joining the basketball team. 

Where in the world was Tzuyu interested in basketball, to the point of joining the school team? Did she want to embarrass herself?  

But then, she found herself asking PE Teacher Mino, who also happened to be the basketball team coach, if they happened to be taking in any players. 

“You would be a great addition to the team! I'm sure Chaeyoung would be happy to have you on the team. Be at the basketball court tomorrow after classes." Mino smiled at her.   

And so, without even knowing why, or how, Tzuyu would be having her first practice on the next day. 

Which was good, since she totally joined the team to improve her motor coordination and exercise more, since a sedentary lifestyle is very detrimental to one's health. It didn't have anything to do with Chaeyoung at all

Tzuyu went home after her short conversation with Mino. No way she would tell Momo, unless she wanted to be teased to death. 

exercise and motor coordination. It was totally because of Chaeyoung. And she only realized that the day after, when after getting dressed for practice, she joined the team in the basketball court and it really hit her. 

Her feet glued to the ground as the whole team turned and stared at her with curious eyes.  

“Go back to practice you lazy asses. You're going to intimidate our new member if you keep staring like that.” Chaeyoung told the girls, as they returned their attention to whatever they were doing. 

Tzuyu felt her cheeks warming up. Chaeyoung was coming her way. Oh my God. 

“So, you are Zhou Tzuyu.” 

“Y-Yes, that’s me.” 

Tzuyu didn’t stutter in front of people, especially people a head shorter than her. 

“Coach Mino told me about you. Welcome, I’m-“ 

“Son Chaeyoung, team captain and oh, you’re amazing.” 

...What. 

“I mean, you’re really talented and I want to learn from you.” 

Tzuyu might want to learn how to control her brutal honesty... someday. Anytime now. 

“Oh my, thank you.” Chaeyoung ran her hand through her short hair. “I hope you can learn a thing or two from me, then.” She finished with a killer smile. 

“Let me introduce you to the other members first, before we start the trials.” Chaeyoung said and Tzuyu followed. “This is Eunseo.” 

She was slightly shorter than Tzuyu, with long blonde hair caught in a ponytail and bangs, and her prominent nose gave her a special charm. 

“Hi beautiful.” Eunseo said, spinning the ball in her finger, in an attempt to impress Tzuyu. 

“A true flirt, but don’t take her seriously, she's dating Xiao, the head cheerleader." 

Tzuyu nodded, not knowing if she should laugh or stay quiet. For a bit, she wondered how her girlfriend actually felt about her being that... upfront. But she digressed. 

“This is the most annoying creature in the whole world, Jeongyeon.” She was also a bit shorter than Tzuyu, with a bowl cut slightly longer than Chaeyoung's. 

“The so well-known Tzuyu joining our team! What an honor." Jeongyeon approached and shook her hand. 

“T-Thank you...?" She didn't know if she should feel flattered or not. 

Why did Tzuyu keep in stuttering? She was actually nervous about meeting Chaeyoung's friends? That couldn’t be happening. 

“And these are our tallest players, Minkyung and Sowon.” 

They were both taller than Tzuyu, especially Sowon. That girl was a giant. Tzuyu smiled awkwardly at them, as they shook her hand and shot her more killer smiles. 

Why did every single girl in that team seem made in heaven? Yes, she was probably just intimidated with their cool aura and their beauty, totally not because they were Chaeyoung's group of friends and she could not act stupid in front of any of them. 

“And finally, my best friend-“ 

“Myoui Mina.” Tzuyu finished for her, earning a raised eyebrow from Chaeyoung. 

“I told you - everyone knows you, babe.” Chaeyoung stood on her toes just so she could put her arm around Mina’s shoulders. 

Tzuyu bit on her tongue. Best friend and babe weren't exactly related in her dictionary. 

“Yes, Chae, everyone knows me as the iest in school.” Mina rolled her eyes. 

“I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've heard that title put on myself many times, so don't feel so alone.” Tzuyu said with a nervous chuckle. 

“Then I’m sure we’ll get along well since we’re both es.” Mina smiled, and Tzuyu couldn’t understand if she was actually calling her a or if she was making a self-deprecating joke. 

“She's more fluent in sarcasm than most people. She didn’t call you a , it was a joke.” Chaeyoung whispered, blocking from Mina’s vision with her hand. 

Tzuyu laughed nervously but felt a bit more relieved. 

They seemed like a fun and easy-going bunch, and maybe joining the basketball team wasn’t such a bad idea after all. Also, none of them seemed to be uncomfortable with her presence. She was so used to getting frowns and top-to-bottom stares this actually felt like an improvement. 

“So, why did you decide to join the team?” Chaeyoung asked, while the others resumed their practice. 

“Because of you.” The words left  unwillingly, leaving Chaeyoung with an amused smile and an irked eyebrow. 

“A-As I said, I want to learn from you. It was truly inspiring seeing you play, and I actually always liked basketball, but never had the courage to join a team. But seeing you play motivated me to join, and I know I’ll learn with the best player. Players, I mean.” Tzuyu rushed to add. 

“You don't save up on compliments, do you? Thank you once again, Tzuyu.” Chaeyoung winked at her, killing another bit of her. “So, you’ve always been interested in basketball, huh?” 

“Y-Yeah, why, wouldn’t you imagine me in a basketball team? I’m... tall and all.” 

“As you can see, height is not everything.” Chaeyoung smirked, and Tzuyu gulped. “I’m not saying you’re bad though. Even if you are, let’s say, a beginner, I’ll make you a pro. if that’s what you want, of course.” 

With every sentence Chaeyoung said, every smile or every time she fixed her hair, Tzuyu fell deeper in that unknown feeling. 

“Make a pro out of me, then.” 

 ---

A/N: I'm actually loving writing this story, I hope you guys are having a good time reading it ^^

And thank you so much for all the comments and votes already! Y'all awesome <3
chaeyu progress and mimo on the next chapter kekeke