Interested in... Basketball

Totally Not Interested in the Basketball Team Captain

 

The bell rang, which meant class was over at last.

Tzuyu sighed, closing her books and getting up to leave, when Momo stood in front of her with a weird grin.

"No." Tzuyu said, trying to pass by her.

"Oh, c'mon, I didn't even say anything!" Momo whined, taking a step back and blocking Tzuyu's way.

The taller girl rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"Okay, what is it?"

"Come with me-"

"No."

"To the-"

"No."

"Basketball game!"

Tzuyu paused for a couple seconds, looking straight into Momo's eyes, and concluded.

"No."

"Please!" Momo pouted, giving Tzuyu her puppy eyed look.

"Tell me a good reason to go."

"You're my best friend, you should go places with me."

"Yeah, of course, is the new girl you're crushing on in the basketball team?"

Momo hated that Tzuyu could read her so easily.

"I-It's Mina..." Momo whispered, looking around.

"Mina? Myoui Mina? The red-haired everybody hates?"

"Everybody hates you too and you're my best friend." Momo pointed out. "I look beyond what meets the eye. I know she's not a cold-hearted like everyone says. People are just jealous because you two are the most beautiful girls in school. But they're right about you being a cold-hearted , though."

"I have resting face."

"It's not just your face."

It was true, and Tzuyu knew it. She was quiet and shy, which apparently, to everyone who didn't even try to get to know her, meant she was intimidating and stuck-up. It wasn't as if Tzuyu cared much, anyway, because the friends she had knew the real her, and that was enough.

Even though Tzuyu didn't know Mina, personally, she could tell she was the same.

Tzuyu admired Momo for refusing to judge people and being brave enough to approach them, just like she did with her back in freshman year.

"Okay, let's go." Tzuyu accepted Momo's offer, earning a hug from her.

"Thank you! I love you, Tzu."

Tzuyu glared at her, but Momo knew that was her way of saying she loved her too.

---

They sat in the bleachers, Momo with a large bucket of jokbal and a can of coke. Tzuyu gave her a judgmental look.

"What? It's much better if you have food to accompany you."

"So why did you ask me to come with you?"

"Food speaks to me, but you speak to me in a different way."

Tzuyu chuckled and stole a piece of meat, earning a whine from Momo.

"Don't even." Tzuyu said, taking a sip on the coke.

Momo couldn't fight it, even if she wanted. Tzuyu's cold, cool attitude actually made her look cute.

"Oh, there they are!" Momo exclaimed.

A bunch of tall girls entered the court (Mina was not that tall, but...). Tzuyu recognized some faces from around school, but she still had no idea who they were.

Then, a really small girl entered last, the team gathering in a circle, their eyes on her while they waited for her instructions.

"Why is there a midget in a basketball team?" Tzuyu asked.

"Oh, the short haired one? That's Chaeyoung, their team captain."

Tzuyu almost spit the coke she was drinking.

"Team captain?! But she's-"

"1,59m, yeah, we all know. But if she's the captain, there's a reason for it." Momo smirked.

How could such a short girl be a basketball team captain?

Then, the other team entered, and they were all at least a head taller than Chaeyoung.

"They're all giants!" Tzuyu exclaimed.

"Yeah, so are you, and you don't see me pointing it out to you all the time."

Tzuyu couldn't help but feel both scared and curious for the school's team.

But how silly she was to even worry about them.

Chaeyoung moved so fast and swiftly between the opposite team's members, that Tzuyu had trouble following and understanding all her movements.

Their team's tallest members were in defensive positions, such as point and shooting guards, while Mina and Chaeyoung were responsible for scoring points. Normally, the post is the tallest of the team, so it was funny how Chaeyoung was in charge of that role. But after observing their strategies, Tzuyu could understand what Momo meant. Because Chaeyoung and Mina were both short, their bodies moved much faster than those giants from the opposite team. Not to mention the ball seemed to dance between their fingers and the floor, swiftly and precisely, making the opposite team struggle to take the ball out of their control. They scored point after point, and barely suffered any due to their amazing guards.

Their strategy was almost always the same – a guard would pass the ball to Mina, who ran through the court, while Chaeyoung positioned herself to receive the ball from Mina. As soon as Chaeyoung had the ball in her hands, it would be a matter of seconds until she jumped so high she could almost slam dunk.

It was incredible and Tzuyu had never seen something like that.

"Do you understand now why are they small?" Momo asked, seeing the amazed expression in Tzuyu's face.

Before Tzuyu could answer, she heard Chaeyoung shout.

"EUNSEO, HERE!"

Eunseo, one of the defensive players, nodded with a smirk and threw the ball across the court. Like a gazelle, Chaeyoung ran towards it, not even recoiling when she caught the ball. She dribbled, then spun past two giants who tried to stop her. When they turned to run after her, it was already too late. Chaeyoung had already jumped high, dunking the ball, scoring two more points.

"Amazing, right?" Momo asked again, more amused by the second.

"A-Amazing." Tzuyu muttered, her eyes shining.

---

"Hey, Momo." Tzuyu called, making Momo raise her face from her plate of food. "When's the next basketball game?"

Her cheeks heated up when a smirk grew on Momo's lips.

"I don't remember you being interest in sports." She teased. "Or... are you interested in a certain short-"

"I've always been interested in sports." Tzuyu cut Momo off.

"I see. You're totally interested in Chae-"

"Basketball." Tzuyu threw her a look that could actually kill.

Momo burst into laughter.

"Okay, okay, I got it. Actually, there's gonna be another game the day after tomorrow, and of course I'm going to see my Mina."

Tzuyu scoffed.

"Your Mina?"

"Yes. Well, still not my Mina, but my soon to be Mina."

"Your confidence is making me emotional." Tzuyu faked a cute voice.

"Awn, really? Are you turning softer?"

"Of course not, idiot. How delusional can you be to be calling people yours when you never even talked to them?"

Momo's jaw dropped.

"You'll see. Gimme..."

"One week."

"Hey, that's too little-"

"One. Week. Starting from the day of the game."

Momo clicked her tongue and drifted her focus back to her food.

"I'm just motivating you!" Tzuyu teased even more.

"Threatening me."

"Whatever you wanna call it."

---

They were having a bit more trouble in this game. The audience commented that the opposite team had gotten word of the school's strategy, so they wouldn't leave Chaeyoung unguarded for a second.

"Mina, left!" Chaeyoung yelled, and the guards changed their attention to their left side.

What they didn't know, was that that was another of the duo's strategies. Mina smirked and threw the ball to Chaeyoung's right side, that was now unprotected. Chaeyoung rushed to grab the ball, and when the defensive players understood what happened, Chaeyoung was already in the air, ready to score another two points, making their teams tied.

Chaeyoung ran to Mina and hugged her, the latter messing up the smaller's girl short hair.

Tzuyu bit on her lip at the sight. Mina and Chaeyoung seemed... Quite close. They were team mates, it was only normal to celebrate when they scored and did great teamwork.

"They're truly amazing. Every game I watch, I keep on getting impressed." Momo commented with full of fries.

"Gosh, at least swallow your food before you speak, that's gross."

Momo ignored the comment and went on.

"That's why they're called the grenade duo."

"The what?" Tzuyu frowned.

"Small, but deadly. They explode the score chart."

Tzuyu facepalmed.

"Who the gave them that awful name?"

"I don't know. They have quite a fanbase around school. There's even people that think they're dating."

Tzuyu turned her face slowly towards Momo and glared at her.

"D-Date?" Her voice came out almost threatening.

"Wow... Are you jealous already?" Momo teased.

Tzuyu blinked and snapped out of her trance.

"Of their skills, yes." She returned her attention to the game, only to find Chaeyoung and Mina celebrating again after scoring another point.

Tzuyu's fists balled up as she clenched her jaw, the tension totally visible to Momo's eyes.

"I can't believe it, you're actually jealous... My Tzuyu is growing up." Momo wiped a fake tear. "Don't worry though, I'm sure they're not dating. And don't forget I'm on the hunt for Mina."

"Don't treat Mina like a piece of meat, you er."

"Hey, I didn't mean it like that! I really like her. She's beautiful, talented, and I'm sure she's beautiful on the inside too! I'm gonna win her heart with my charms."

Tzuyu scoffed and laughed.

"Charms? Lucky Charms?"

"No!" Momo whined. "My beauty, my sense of humor, my smarts, my ability to handle a good and interesting conversation-"

"About food?"

"Will you support me for once?" Momo whined.

"This time I will, because if there's anything going on between them, I want it ruined." Tzuyu said, almost sounding threatening.

"Wow, you are a ."

"W-What? No, it's not like that. I just... want you to be with Mina. I'd kill to see you happy." Tzuyu cringed, blushing.

"Oh my god." Momo gasped, laying her palm on Tzuyu's forehead, pretending to check for a fever. "You'd actually do that for me? Or maybe you're just saying that to hide the fact that you totally crushed on Chae and you don't want to admit it."

"Momo, I don't have any feelings. How could I crush on someone? Nonsense." Tzuyu felt her heart beat harder.

Momo squealed.

"It's okay, Tzu, I won't tell anyone. I know, deep, deep down in that savage and cold you, there's a soft Tzuyu. And I'm looking forward to meeting her."

Tzuyu sighed and rolled her eyes, looking back at the game, ignoring Momo's comment.

---

A/N: kekekekeke I was meant to write a Tzumo fic now but for some reason I can't seem to make that story into actual words, so I'll ditch it for now.

So, it's Chaeyu time!!!

Hope you all liked the first chapter! I had lots of fun writing it, I love to write funny scenes and dialogues (my girlfriend came up with the Lucky Charms joke, and I swear I spent 5 minutes laughing)

This is gonna be a shorter story than my average, so expect maybe max 10 chapters.

I'm sorry if I take too long to update, my current work schedule leaves me almost no free time ;__; But I'll work hard! <3