Life Taking its Toll

Perfect

 

Two weeks has gone by, and Won Sik has recovered tremendously. He has color on his face again, and his wound is no longer bloodshot red. The wound is turning his skin color again, but the center of the wound is still red. Won Sik can get out of bed and not look like he is going to fall over, and he has almost all his energy back.

Soo Ah still fixes him his breakfast, lunch, and dinner and still feeds him since his arm still hurts. She also still helps him wash his hair as well.

“Do you know when you're going back to work,” Soo Ah asks. She is feeding Won Sik his lunch. They sit in the living room with the tv quietly on,

“The doctor says I can go after another week,” Won Sik replies.

“Won't you have to workout your arms again, so your arm can go back to how it was?”

“That'll make sense. I'm sure I'll have to.”

Soo Ah feeds him again.

“How about the kids,” Soo Ah asks. “I'm sure they miss you.”

“We can bring them back now if you want, but I'm sure mom won't let them come back until I fully recover.”

“I'll ask them. Maybe they'll change their mind.”

“You can do all you want, but they can be stubborn. I have a question.”

“Yes?”

“Can you take me to work? I don't want to work. I just want to know what's happening at the station.”

“Sure. You've been stuck at home for two weeks. I think taking you out for fresh air will be good.”

They both get ready. Since the weather is gradually getting warmer, Soo Ah wears shorts and a t-shirt while Won Sik wears skinny jeans and a buttoned up shirt. He only wears that, so Soo Ah can change his bandage easier. Soo Ah drives Won Sik to the police station.

“Do you want to say here or go in with me,” Won Sik asks as Soo Ah parks the car in the parking lot.

“I think I'll just stay here.”

“Are you sure? It might be awhile.”

“Right. I might have to help you too. Let's both go.”

Soo Ah and Won Sik climbs out of the car. Won Sik leads the way to the station and Soo Ah follows. He opens the door for her,

“I should be the one who opens the door,” she says.

“It's okay.”

Soo Ah walks in and takes a step to the side before she waits for Won Sik to enter. He leads the way again. As they walk down the hallway, Soo Ah observes her surroundings. This is the first time she has walked in a police station. Won Sik turns left, and she follows. He opens the door, and she walks in again. Soo Ah steps to the side and waits for Won Sik to enter. As he does, he continues to walk, and she slowly follows him. They are now in Unit 3.

“Toad,” Won Sik says.

Soo Ah stops at the edge of Won Sik’s desk and looks around.

“Tiger,” Toad says standing up. “What are you doing here?”

Soo Ah turns her head to face Won Sik when she hears his nickname.

What a weird nickname.

“I came to see how everything is doing,” Won Sik says.

“Nothing much,” Toad replies. “New cases here and there. We're doing fine, so don't worry about a thing. How are you doing? Your wound is healing fine?”

“Yeah. Thanks to my caregiver, I've been healing perfectly fine.”

“You hired yourself a caregiver?”

“She's actually the nanny.” Won Sik turns to face Soo Ah and motions for her to come. “Come here.”

She walks to them.

“This is the nanny,” Won Sik says to Toad. “Her name is Lim Soo Ah.”

Soo Ah smiles. “Pleasure to meet you.”

“The pleasure is mine,” Toad says.

“This is Park Wonho, but we call him Toad,” Won Sik says.

“Why do you give each other nicknames,” Soo Ah asks.

“It's what we like or how we perform,” Toad answers. “I'm Toad because I like toads. Won Sik is Tiger because he is fast.”

“Oh,” Soo Ah says.

“So you're the amazing nanny that Tiger always talk about.”

“He talks about me?”

“Not always,” Won Sik says. “I only talk about her when you ask me questions.”

“Don't be shy,” Toad says. “You talk about her more than you know.”

“No I don't.”

“Okay,” Toad replies nodding his head. “Let's say you don't, but I have news for you.”

“What is it?”

“We've finally caught the culprit who hurt you.”

“Good. That's good.”

“We questioned him and put him in jail. Since you're the man he shot, we were wondering how long you want to put him in for.”

“My opinion doesn't matter. The person he hurt most is the lady from the pharmacy. What she wants, I'm fine with.”

“Okay. Little lady,” Toad says turning to Soo Ah. “Thank you for taking care of our best worker. Please continue to care for him until he heals.”

“Of course. I've been taking care of him for two weeks now. I can go on. This is actually good practice for me since I'm majoring in nurse.”

“You're a college student?”

“Yes, sir.”

“You're quite young then.”

“I am.”

“That's bad. You're practically taking care of a grandpa.”

“I am not a grandpa,” Won Sik protests.

Soo Ah chuckles. “I'm totally fine. Mr. Kim has been taking care of me as well.”

“You two are practically a couple then.”

“No,” Won Sik and Soo Ah protests.

“I'm just a college student working for him,” Soo Ah says.

“And I'm just her boss,” Won Sik adds.

Toad smirks. “Okay.”

“We should get going,” Won Sik says. “I'm not supposed to be here for too long.”

“Okay. I'll see you soon.”

Won Sik bids farewell to everyone before he leaves with Soo Ah.

“I'm sorry for Toad. He doesn't think before he talks sometimes,” Won Sik says.

“It's okay.” Soo Ah backs out of the parking lot. “Do you want to go somewhere else? Since we're out, let's do something.”

“How about you? Is there anything you want to do?”

“Nothing special.”

“You don’t want to go out anywhere?”

Soo Ah thinks for a minute then her phone rings.

“Can you see who it is,” Soo Ah asks. “My phone is in my purse.”

Won Sik looks in her purse and takes out her phone.

“Young Jae,” Won Sik reads.

“Can you answer it for me,” Soo Ah asks.

Won Sik slides the green button and answers the phone. “Hello?”

“Hello? Is this Lim Soo Ah’s phone,” Young Jae asks.

“It is.”

“Where is she right now?”

“She is driving right now.”

“Can I talk to her?”

“He wants to talk to you,” Won Sik tells Soo ah.

“Put him on speaker then,” Soo Ah says.

Won Sik does so.

“Young Jae,” Soo Ah says.

“Soo Ah, are you busy,” Young Jae asks.

“I am. Is there something you need?”

“I just wanted to hang out with you today.”

“I’m sorry. I’m busy. I’ll call you when I’m free.”

“When will that be?”

“I’m not sure. My boss got hurt, so I’m taking care of him right now.”

“Oh. I hope he’s not hurt badly.”

“He’s alright. He’s been healing quickly.”

“That’s good. I’ll be waiting for your call then.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Goodbye.”

Won Sik hangs up for Soo Ah.

“Thank you,” Soo Ah says.

“It was nothing.” Silence. “So,” Silence. “This Young Jae guy and you are pretty close right?”

“I don’t think so. We had a couple of classes together back in school. We never really talked, but I met him one day at the grocery store and we just started to talk there.”

“Oh. Perhaps he likes you.”

“I doubt it. I think he has a girlfriend. At least he did the last time I saw him in school.”

“Maybe they broke up.”

“I don’t know.”

“So where are we going.”

“I was thinking you need more fresh air, so I’m going to take you to the lake, and we’re going to walk around it.”

Won Sik doesn’t say anything.

Soo Ah parks in the lot, and they both start to walk. They walk in silence. The only audible thing is other people, birds, and the breeze flowing through the trees.

“The weather is great,” Won Sik starts.

“Yeah. It’s definitely warmer these past few days,” Soo Ah says.

Silence eats them again.

Soo Ah steals glances at Won Sik. He is so tall that she couldn’t even see his face unless she tilts her head up. She feels like a little girl when she is with him. Soo Ah only reaches his chest.

A ball rolls over to Won Sik. The both of them stop in their tracks. Won Sik bends down and picks up the ball with his left hand. A little girl runs over to them.

“Is this your ball,” he asks the girl.

“Yes. May I please have it back,” she asks.

Won Sik smiles and hands her the ball. “Here you go.”

“Thank you.” She runs to her mother, and Won Sik stands up.

He admires the girl. “I miss my babies now,” he says.

“Should we go visit them,” Soo Ah asks. “I’m sure they miss you too.”

“Maybe we should.”

“Should we go now?”

“No. I want to finish this walk.”

“Okay.”

They walk in silence again.

“Sir,” Soo Ah starts. “I know this is a very personal question, but how did your wife die?”

Won Sik continues to walk without saying a thing.

“I’m sorry. I asked a very personal question,” Soo Ah says.

“No. It’s okay. She died while having Soo Jung. She had a hard time giving birth to Soo Jung and lost too much blood because of that.”

“Oh. I’m sorry. It must’ve been painful.”

“It happened two years ago. I still miss her, but what has happened has happened.”

“You’re very strong. I’m glad you’re working hard for your kids.”

“I wasn’t strong at first. I cried every night. Of course, I had to stay strong in front of Junho, but it was very hard. She was the love of my life, and she died right in front of my eyes.”

“I’m sure you had it harder than anyone else.”

“But I’m okay now. I have pulled myself together, and I’m working hard, so my children won’t have to suffer.”

“I’m very proud of you.”

“I do feel like Junho and Soo Jung need a mother figure.”

“Why don’t you start dating? You can find yourself another woman and marry her. What about Minah? Actually, nevermind.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Sir, you’ve told me before that you two are only friends, but do you have feelings for her?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Because if you want to marry her, why don’t ask your children first. I’ve talked to Junho, and he’s not very fond of Minah.”

“He’s not?”

“No. He wants someone who wants to spend time with him.”

“I see.”

“I know I’m not in the position to be telling you this, but I just thought I should let you know what Junho is feeling.”

“I’m glad that you told me because I don’t know what he’s thinking. I’m glad you’re here to help us. I’m glad you’re taking care of the kids like they’re your own, and I’m glad they are so fond of you.”

“I’m fond of them too.”

Soo Ah looks around, and they are already halfway done with the walk.

“The kids will miss you a lot when you leave.”

“Me too.”

They walk in silence again.

“Sir, it’ll be better for you and Junho if you communicated better. He wants to spend more time with you,” Soo Ah continues.

“I know that much, but it’s just so hard when I’m always working, and when he’s home, I don’t get home until late.”

“Maybe take some time off to spend with your kids. I’m sure they’ll like that.”

“I’d like that too, but I’ve already taken so many days off.”

“We can go pick them up. I’ll make sure to take care of the three of you.”

“I know you can. Why don’t we pick them up tomorrow then?”

“Sounds fine to me.”

They continue to walk, and pretty soon finish. Soo Ah drives them home.

“What do you want for lunch,” she asks Won Sik. Soo Ah closes the front door.

“I'm not hungry,” Won Sik says as he sits on the couch.

“How about a snack?”

“Sure.”

“I'll be back.”

Soo Ah walks to the kitchen and starts to peel fruits before she cuts them into bite size pieces and puts them into a bowl. She puts a fork into the bowl and walks it over to Won Sik.

“Thank you,” Won Sik says as Soo Ah places the bowl on the coffee table.

“You're welcome. Before you start eating. Let's change your bandage first.”

“Okay.”

Soo Ah goes to Won Sik’s bedroom and grabs the bandage before she walks back to the living room. Won Sik has already began ing his shirt, but because his hand still hurts, he only ed two. Soo Ah places the bandage on the coffee table and helps him his shirt. She carefully takes it off, and then removes the bandage on his shoulder. Soo Ah throws that away and starts to carefully wrap another bandage on his shoulder. After she is done, Soo Ah grabs his shirt and gets ready to put it on him, but someone rings the doorbell.

“Go answer it. I'll do it myself,” Won Sik says.

“Can you get it past your arm,” Soo Ah asks.

“I'll wait for you then.”

Another ring is heard. Soo Ah quickly opens the door revealing Minah.

“Hello,” Soo Ah greets her.

“Is Won Sik home,” Minah asks.

“He is.”

Minah walks in, and Soo Ah closes the door.

“Won Sik,” Minah says shock. “Why are you not wearing a shirt?”

“Minah,” Won Sik asks. “Why are you here?”

Won Sik stands up, and Minah sees the bandage on his shoulder.

“What happened,” she asks. Minah rushes over to him.

“An accident happened during work. Soo Ah was just helping me change my bandage.”

“Poor you,” Minah pouts.

Soo Ah walks over to him and grabs his shirt from the couch. She gets ready to put it on him, but Minah snatches it away from her.

“I'll help him,” she says. “If I knew you were hurt, I would've came and took care of you.” She helps Won Sik into his shirt.

“Thanks, but Soo Ah is here to help me.”

“It would be nicer if I was here. Maid, go grab his medicine.”

“He took them already. He won't have to take any until another three hours,” Soo Ah replies.

“Go make some food then.”

“I'm not hungry,” Won Sik says.

Minah finishes buttoning his shirt.

“Minah, I would appreciate it if you didn't boss my worker around. If you want to boss people around, then hire yourself some.”

“It's okay,” Soo Ah says. “It's about time I go prepare for dinner anyway.” Soo Ah walks to the kitchen and preps for dinner.

“Why are you here,” Won Sik asks Minah.

“I came here to look for something, but now that I know you're in pain, I'll stay here and take care of you.”

“What are you looking for?”

“My bracelet. You know the one I got for my birthday present last year.”

“Yeah.”

“I looked everywhere for it at home, but I couldn't find it, so I thought I left it here. Remember when I spent the night here? I thought maybe I dropped it here.”

“I haven't seen anything.”

“Can I look around?”

“Go ahead.”

Minah starts to look around the living room, and Won Sik sits down on the couch. He takes a bite of the fruits Soo Ah gave him.

“It's not here,” she says tucking a strand of hair behind her ears. “Maybe I dropped it where I was sleeping. Do you remember where I slept that night?”

“In Soo Ah’s room.”

“Maybe I dropped it in there.”

“You can't go in there without Soo Ah’s permission.”

“Why not? Did she steal it?”

“Why would she?”

“I don't know. To sell it to make money.”

“Soo Ah would never do such a thing.”

“I guess there is only one way to find out.” Minah stands up and starts walking towards Soo Ah’s room, but Won Sik stops her.

“You can't just barge in there. At least ask for permission first.”

“Fine.” Minah walks to the kitchen to see Soo Ah at the sink. “Maid,” Minah says. “I need your permission to go into your room.”

“Why do you need to go in my room,” Soo Ah asks turning to face Minah.

“I lost my bracelet. I just have to check if it's in there or not.”

“Why would it be in my room?”

“I don't know. Maybe you stole it.”

“I never stole a thing.”

“Then give me your permission.”

“Go. You won't find anything anyway.”

Minah charges to Soo Ah’s room and starts rummaging through her belongings. She throws her blanket and pillow on the ground. Minah rummages through her closet and throws her clothes out. The room slowly turns into a mess.

“What are you doing,” Won Sik asks stopping Minah.

“I just want to look for my bracelet,” Minah says.

“That doesn't mean you can trash her room.”

“These clothes are filthy anyway. It wouldn't matter if they are thrown away.”

“It may not matter to you, but it matters to her.”

“Why do you care so much about her? Did you fall in love with her?”

“That doesn't matter to you, but what you're doing is wrong. Just look for you bracelet.”

“I am.”

“What happened,” Soo Ah asks shocked.

“I'm just looking for my bracelet. Is that wrong?”

“No it's not, but ruining my room is.”

Won Sik can tell that Soo Ah is angry.

“You're not going to clean this up. I have to,” Soo Ah continues.

“Why would I want to pick up this trash,” Minah asks.

“This is not trash. It's my clothes and bedsheets.”

“Doesn't look like it to me.”

“Apologize.”

“What?”

“Apologize. Then I won't ask you to pick this up.”

“Why would I do that?”

“Minah, just apologize,” Won Sik says.

“I will never,” Minah says.

“Then quickly look for your bracelet and get out of here,” Soo Ah says.

“Fine.” Minah walks over to the desk and starts to open the drawers. She takes out Soo Ah’s jewelry and starts dropping them to the ground. Soo Ah walks over to her and grabs Minah’s arm.

“Stop,” Soo Ah commends.

“I need to find my bracelet,” Minah says.

“You're obviously not trying to find it. You just want to ruin my belongings.”

“You're obviously saying that because you stole my bracelet and don't want me to find it.”

“I never stole your bracelet.”

Minah yanks her hand out of Soo Ah’s grip. “I guess I can stop searching because I found my bracelet.”

“Take it and leave then.”

Minah grabs Soo Ah’s wrist and tightens her grip. “It's right here,” Minah says.

“This isn't your bracelet,” Soo Ah protests. “It's mine.”

“Then why does it look exactly like mine?” Minah hooks her fingers onto the bracelet.

“Because there are identical bracelets that exists.”

“This is my bracelet.”

“No it's not. My father gave this to me.”

Minah starts tugging. “Give it back!”

“It's not yours!”

“Yes it is!” Minah yanks the bracelet and it breaks off Soo Ah’s wrist. Her skin is red and starts to sting. Soo Ah could see that the skin on her wrist has ripped a little.

“Give it back,” Soo Ah yells.

“It's mine,” Minah protests.

“Minah,” Won Sik says stern. “Give it back to Soo Ah.”

“Why would I? It's mine.”

Soo Ah is on the verge to cry, but she holds her tears back.

“Actually,” Minah says calm. “I don't want it anymore. It's already covered in trash.” She drops the bracelet on the ground, and the flower jumps off the bracelet. Minah walks out. Soo Ah stands in her spot. She is angry, frustrated, and sad, but she can't do anything about it. She knows that Minah is that type of woman who will not stop unless they win, so she is not going to give Minah what she wants.

“Are you okay,” Won Sik asks.

“Please leave me alone,” Soo Ah says trying to hold her anger in.

Won Sik slowly walks out of the room. He feels so bad for Soo Ah because he knows that bracelet means a lot to her, and Minah just trashed her room. Soo Ah is going to need to clean that up. Won Sik walks over to Minah who is standing next to the couch. “Why did you do that,” Won Sik asks her.

“I did that because she had my bracelet,” Minah replies.

“That isn't your bracelet. The bracelet belongs to Soo Ah. Her father gave it to her.”

“I didn't know that.”

“She told you.”

“But I don't trust her.”

“That doesn't mean you could hurt her like that.”

“I'm sorry. I really didn't know.”

“You shouldn't apologize to me. You should apologize to Soo Ah.”

Minah shakes her head.

“Then at least go help her pick up her room,” Won Sik continues.

“I don't see why I have to.”

“Then leave. You've already caused enough trouble.”

“But I want to take care of you.”

“You don't have to.”

“But I want to. What if something happens?”

“Nothing is going to happen.”

“How would you know?”

“I've been hurt for two weeks now without your knowledge. Another week or two won't hurt me now.”

“But.”

“Please, Minah, just go.”

“Fine. I'll call to check up on you.”

Won Sik doesn't say anything.

Minah leaves.

He sits on the couch and listens to Soo Ah. She is not doing anything. There is silence for at least five minutes before he hears her feet shuffling to the kitchen. Won Sik stands up and follows Soo Ah to the kitchen. She is standing in front of the sink. The water is running, and she is back at work. He wants to help her, but he already knows that she is going to turn him down because of his arm, so he goes to her room. The mess is still there. Won Sik walks in and starts picking up the jewelry with his left hand. He puts the jewelry back into the drawer, and then hangs the clothes back into the closet. That takes him awhile, but he finishes. Won Sik then picks up the bedsheets and starts making her bed. His right hand leads him while his left hand does most the work.

“Sir,” Soo Ah says. She walks in. “What are you doing?”

“I’m helping you.”

“You don’t have to. Your arm still hurts. It's okay. This is the least I can do. You've already done so much for me.”

“I don't even do anything.” Soo Ah picks up on fixing the bed.

“You do more than you think. You've come and changed your lifestyle just for us.”

“I did it because I was willing to.”

“I just feel bad for what Minah did.”

“Why should you? You didn't do anything.”

“But I'm making you work. Making dinner, cleaning up, then cleaning your room is going to be too much work for you.”

“I'm grateful for your concern, but I'm fine.” She finishes fixing the bed. “Dinner is ready. Are you hungry yet?”

“No,” Won Sik says as he observes Soo Ah. He notices her wrist that had the bracelet is red. “I placed your bracelet on the desk,” he tells her.

She turns around and walks to the desk. Soo Ah picks up her broken bracelet. She places it down. Soo Ah swallows. “Thank you,” she says. “If you don't want dinner, I'll go put it away for now.” Soo Ah walks to the kitchen and removes the pot onto a cool burner then covers it with a lid. Soo Ah feels like she can break down any second, but she holds it back.

Won Sik follows Soo Ah to the kitchen. He slowly approaches her and gently grabs her left hand. “Does it hurt,” he asks her.

“I'm fine,” she replies as she slides her hand out of his.

He grabs it again. “Let me wrap it for you.” He guides her to the living room. “Sit here. I'll be back with the first aid kit.” He walks to the bathroom and grabs the first aid kit located behind the mirror and comes back. Won Sik sits next to Soo Ah and starts mending her wound.

“I can do it,” she says trying to take the swab away from him.

“You're hurt,” he replies as he moves the swab away from her.

“So are you.”

“It'll be hard for you to put the bandage on yourself.” Won Sik continues to apply the medicine on her wrist.

“Thank you.”

“You know,” Won Sik pauses. “It's okay to cry. I know what Minah did was hurtful, and you're hurt from her actions.” He wraps her wrist with a bandage. “You can cry if you want.”

“I don't understand why she would do such a thing. Is it because she thinks I'm going to steal you away from her?”

“I don't know either.”

“If it is. Tell her that I will never do such a thing.”

“She's just delusional. Even if you are trying, I'm not saying that you are, she doesn't have the right to come in between us because she and I were never dating in the first place.”

“Either way, just let her know that I'm not trying to steal you away from her. She has no right to mess my belongings up.”

“I know. I'll make sure to do so, so don't think too much about it.” Won Sik finishes wrapping her wrist. “There. If your wrist hurts, just come ask for my help.”

“How can I when you're hurt as well?”

“I'll help you, and you'll help me. That way we can get the job done.”

“Sure.”

And that's exactly what they do. Soo Ah will work, and if she needs help with something, she will ask Won Sik for help. If Won Sik needs help with something, he will ask Soo Ah for help. Because of that, the both of them have better communication and have build a stronger relationship.

Soo Jung and Junho has returned. Like Soo Ah told herself, Soo Ah bakes Junho sugar cookies that she had decorated, and bought him a new toy to play with.

“This is you gift for finishing school,” Soo Ah tells Junho.

“Thank you,” Junho says with a smile. He is eating a cookie and playing with his new toy.

Soo Jung is sitting with Won Sik on the couch.

“We should get going,” Mrs. Kim says.

“Why don't you stay for lunch,” Soo Ah says. “I'll quickly make something.”

“It's okay. We should go.”

“Thank you for taking care of Won Sik for us,” Mr. Kim adds.

“It was nothing, sir,” Soo Ah replies. “He's definitely recovered a whole lot, but he still needs to recover even more. I'll make sure to take care of him and the kids.”

“Thank you,” Mrs. Kim says. “If you need help with anything, just give us a call.”

“I will.”

Won Sik carries Soo Jung with his left arm. “I'm fine, mom. You don't have to worry about a thing.”

“When are you going back to work,” Mrs. Kim asks.

“I'll go back in another week.”

“Okay. We really have to go now.”

“Have a safe trip,” Soo Ah says.

Mr. and Mrs. Kim leaves.

“I miss Ms. Lim,” Soo Jung says.

Won Sik walks them over to Soo Ah. Soo Jung pivots herself to Soo Ah, and Soo Ah takes Soo Jung from Won Sik. “I miss you too,” Soo Ah says.

“Dad,” Junho exclaims. “Look what Ms. Lim got me.”

“Wow. It looks so cool,” Won sik says.

“Did you hurt yourself,” Soo Jung asks Soo Ah. She touches a scar on Soo Ah’s wrist.

“Yeah, but I'm all better now,” Soo Ah answers. She let's Soo Jung down. Soo Jung starts to run around. “Should I go make lunch,” Soo Ah asks Won Sik.

“Sandwiches would be nice,” Won Sik replies.

“Okay.” Soo Ah heads to the kitchen and takes out the ingredients for sandwiches. After she is done, she divides them up, and everyone starts to eat.

Since Junho doesn't have school anymore and Won Sik can't go to work anyway, everyone is at home. Soo Ah, with the help of Won Sik, takes care of the kids, and the both of them takes care of each other.

With Soo Ah’s support and the kids support, Won Sik finally fully heals. He's gone back to work for almost two months now even Soo Ah’s wrist has healed. Everything is the same except Junho doesn't go to school anymore. The house is more noisy and warm.

Another three weeks has past. Soo Ah, Junho, and Soo Jung are at home. Soo Ah is sitting on the couch touching her phone, while the two kids are playing with their toys. The time is only three. Won Sik should still be at work, or so thought Soo Ah. The doorknob twists open, and Won Sik walks in.

“Why are you home so early,” Soo Ah asks.

Soo Jung runs over to him, and he bends down to give her a hug. “I came home to grab a document,” Won Sik answers. “Ms. Soo Ah, please follow me.” He puts Soo Jung down and walks to his room. Won Sik opens his drawers and takes out his documents. Soo Ah follows him to his room.

“Do you need something,” Soo Ah asks.

“Hold your hand out.”

Soo Ah does so. Won Sik puts the documents down and reaches into his pocket. He pulls out a box and opens it. Won Sik takes a bracelet out of the box and places the box down before he puts the bracelet around her wrist.

“What is this,” she asks him.

“I know how much that bracelet means to you, so I went and bought you a new one,” he replies.

“You shouldn't have.”

He finishes putting the bracelet on her. “I wanted to.”

“Thank you,” she says grateful. “It's very pretty.”

The bracelet is pink and has salmon colored flowers that goes around the bracelet.

“If you give me your bracelet that broke, I can go fix it for you,” Won Sik says.

“It's okay. I can do it myself.”

“I insist. I go out more than you and can fix your bracelet for you.”

“Okay then.” Soo Ah walks to her room and pulls out her bracelet from the drawer. She heads back to Won Sik’s room and hands it to him. “Just tell me how much it costs you, and I'll pay you back.”

“No. You don't have to pay me back.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. Do you want me to pack you a snack?”

“Sure. That'll be nice.”

Soo Ah walks to the kitchen to pack Won Sik a snack. Her new bracelet dangles from her wrist. A smile appears on her lips.

As she is in the middle of making the snack, her phone rings. Soo Ah grabs her phone from her back pants pocket and answers it. “Hello,” she asks. She sandwiches her phone between her ear and shoulder, so both her hands are free to continue to pack.

“Soo Ah?”

“Uncle Jimmy?”

“Soo Ah, your father isn't well.”

“What do you mean?” Soo Ah packs some strawberries.

“He's fainted and is at the hospital.”

Soo Ah drops the lunch box, and it explodes on the floor.

“He told me not to tell you, but I thought you should know,” uncle Jimmy continues.

“What happened? Is dad okay? Which hospital,” Soo Ah asks.

“He's fine. He's at the hospital near here. I'll explain everything when you come over.”

“I'll be over soon.”

Soo Ah hangs up her phone. She quickly cleans up the mess she made and walks over to Won Sik. He is in his room reading documents.

“Sir,” Soo Ah says.

He can hear her voice tremble. “Is something wrong,” Won Sik asks.

“I'm sorry for the short notice. My dad is in the hospital right now, and I must rush to see him.”

“Your dad is in the hospital?”

“It's an emergency,” Soo Ah says urgently. “I'm sorry.”

“No. Don't be.”

“I haven't made you your snack, and I don't think I can.”

“It's okay. I understand the situation. I'll call my parents and ask them to pick the kids up. Don't worry about me.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Soo Ah turns and walks out of the room, but she bumps into the door. “Ow.”

“Are you okay,” he asks her.

“Yes.” She walks to her room and grabs her purse and keys. As Soo Ah walks out of her room, she drops her keys. Soo Ah bends down and picks them up. She walks to the living room and goes straight to the kids. “Ms. Lim has to go.”

“Where are you going,” Soo Jung asks.

“My daddy is sick, so I have to go see him.”

“Your daddy is sick,” Junho asks.

“Yes. I don't know how long I'll be gone, so be good to daddy while I'm gone. Daddy called grandma and grandpa. They'll be here to watch you while daddy goes to work.”

“Okay,” Soo Jung says.

“Have a safe trip,” Junho says.

“Bye,” Soo Ah adds.

“I called my parents,” Won Sik says as he walks out to the living room. “They'll be here in a few minutes.”

“Okay,” Soo Ah answers.

“Can you wait a little while,” Won Sik asks Soo Ah.

“Is there a problem?”

“I thought I should drive you there.”

“Why? I'm capable of driving myself there.”

“Not when you're in this state. Your mind won't be focused on one thing, and that can be dangerous.”

“I'm fine, I can drive myself there.”

“I insist. Please let me drive you there.”

Soo Ah couldn't say anything else, so she waits with Won Sik until his parents came to pick the kids up.

“I'm sorry for the short notice,” Won Sik tells his parents.

“It's no problem,” Mrs. Kim says. “Life happens.”

Soo Ah comes out with the kids. She hands them over to Mr. and Mrs. Kim.

“Thank you for agreeing on such short notice,” Soo Ah says.

“No problem, dear,” Mrs. Kim says. “We just hope your father is okay.”

“Do you know what happened,” Mr. Kim asks.

“No. I just got a called saying he's at the hospital,” Soo Ah replies.

“We hope for a best.”

“Thank you.”

“We should get going then,” Won Sik adds in. “If you want to go back home, you know where my spare key is.”

“We thought you weren't going,” Mrs. Kim says.

“I'm going to drive her there. She's not in a condition to drive herself.”

“Okay,” Mr. Kim replies. “Drive safely.”

“How far is the drive,” Mrs. Kim asks.

“It's an hour and a half away,” Soo Ah replies.

“If anything happens, I'll give you a call,” Won Sik says.

“Okay,” Mrs. Kim replies.

Won Sik and Soo Ah heads out. “Let's go in my car,” he says. Won Sik takes Soo Jung’s car seat out and brings it home before he climbs into his car. “What are you doing,” Won Sik asks Soo Ah through the window. “Let's go.” Soo Ah is standing outside contemplating whether she should go in or not.

“Sir, I can just go myself.”

“Hurry up. You're worried about your father aren't you?”

Soo Ah climbs in and fastens her seatbelt. Won Sik does the same and turns on the ignition before he backs out of the driveway. Won Sik takes out his phone, presses some buttons, then puts on a headphone.

“Hello?”

“Toad, I can’t come back to work,” Won Sik says. “An emergency has come up at home.”

“How can this happen when we need you right now?”

“Fill me in on what’s happening.”

“Because you said it’s an emergency, I’ll let it slide.”

“Thank you.”

“Come to work tomorrow.”

“I will, Toad.” Won Sik hangs up and puts the headphone down.

“You didn’t get in trouble for skipping work today did you,” Soo Ah asks.

“Everything is fine. Don’t worry about it. Now tell me the directions to your house.”

“I will. Just keep going straight.” After that, Soo Ah zones out. She’s worried about her dad. How did he end up in the hospital? Is he fine? Is he conscious or unconscious?

“Soo Ah,” Won Sik asks.

“Huh?”

“Did you hear me? Do I keep going straight?”

“Oh. Take a left turn at the next intersection.”

Won sik does so. “Is it okay if I call you by your name,” he asks. “Soo Ah.”

“Sure. I mean yes. That’s okay. I’ve heard you call me that before.”

“That’s because Minah was there. Calling you Ms. Soo Ah in front of her is awkward.”

“Yes. You can call me by name.”

“Okay. You can call me by name too.”

“I don’t know. It’s a little awkward for me to call you by your name.”

“Whatever works for you.”

Soo Ah’s attention diverts again. Her father is on her mind.

“This is why I said I’d drive,” Won Sik says. “You are distracted because of your thoughts.”

“I’m just worried about my dad.”

“Who called to tell you about him? The doctors?”

“No. Uncle Jimmy called me. He’s one of dad’s best friend.”

“Oh.”

“You can just drop me off,” Soo Ah says. “And come back home. Your kids are waiting for you, and you have to work tomorrow.”

“We’ll see what happens. If it’s late, can I sleep over?”

“I mean, I don’t see why not. It’s better for you to stay then drive at night.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Double update!!