Moved In

Perfect

 

Soo Ah’s alarm rings, so she groans. She turns off her alarm and stretches and pulls the blanket over her head. Soo Ah wants to go back to sleep, but she needs to drag herself up from bed to go wash up, so she won’t be fired. Soo Ah sits up on the bed and turns on her cell phone flashlight. Soo Ah checks on the kids, and they are still deep in sleep, so she goes to wash up. After she washes up, Soo Ah heads to the kitchen and turns on the light. She turns off her phone light, and sets her phone on the counter before she starts to look through the cabinets. She finds some bread, so she takes the loaf out. Soo Ah then walks to the fridge to see that there are ingredients to make a sandwich, so she decides she could make Junho a sandwich for lunch. Soo Ah throws in a juice pouch and a cookie for Junho. For breakfast, Soo Ah decides to make grilled cheese and tomato soup. Soo Ah puts everything into the spiderman lunchbox. When she is done with everything, even setting the table, the time is almost six. The exact time is 5:40 am. If she wakes Junho up now, it’ll be to early, but if wakes him up at six, there might not be enough time for them to get ready. When the time reads 5:50, Soo Ah goes to wake Junho up. She turns the light in the hallway on and walks into the kids bedroom.

“Junho,” she says quietly. She taps him on the shoulder. “Junho.” She taps him again. “It’s time to wake up.”

Junho stirs in his sleep.

“It’s time to wake up. You have school today,” Soo Ah continues softly.

Junho stretches and yawns. He sits up and rubs his eyes. Soo Ah watches Junho and smiles. He is very cute. Junho climbs out of bed and goes to wash up in the bathroom. While Junho is doing so, Soo Ah quietly looks for clothes for Junho to wear. As she searches the closet, she finds his school uniform. She takes it out and lies it on the bed. Then, she goes to the kitchen to reheat the breakfast up. Junho walks in after Soo Ah is finished and sits down at the table.

“What is this,” Junho asks.

“It’s grilled cheese and tomato soup. I learned it from my international friend,” she replies. “You can dip the sandwich into the soup, it tastes very good, and since it’s cold in the morning, I thought I should make you something warm.”

Junho tries the grilled cheese and soup. Soo Ah waits for his reaction.

“So,” she asks. “Do you like it?”

“It’s not bad. I like it.”

“That’s good.”

Soo Ah pours him a glass of juice and gives it to him.

“Juice is fine right,” she asks him.

“I want water,” Junho replies.

“Okay,” Soo Ah puts the glass of juice aside and pours Junho a cup of water. “Here you go,” she says handing him the cup.

“Thank you.”

“So what do you do after this,” Soo Ah asks sitting down next to Junho. 

“I go brush my teeth, and daddy usually helps me get dressed.”

“I’ll be helping you this time, and I already put your uniform on your bed.”

“I think you woke me up a little too early today.”

“I did?”

“Dad usually wakes me up at six, but I guess this is good too. I can take my time eating breakfast. I usually rush to finish breakfast.”

“That’s not good. Eating fast isn’t good for you.”

“Really? Why is that?”

“You could get a stomach ache.”

“That’s not good.”

“No it’s not. Take your time eating. We have plenty of time yet.”

“Okay.”

After Junho finishes eating and brushing his teeth, Soo Ah helps him into his uniform. After that, Junho goes to grab his backpack and follows Soo Ah to the kitchen where she hands him his lunch box.

“I packed you a ham and cheese sandwich. There is also a juice pouch and a cookie in there,” Soo Ah says.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, and I promise you that you’ll get one of your snacks after you come home from school.”

“Really?”

Soo Ah nods her head.

“Come on,” Soo Ah says. “We’re going to be late.”

After dropping Junho off, Soo Ah drives around to see if any supermarkets are opened, so she could buy ingredients to make muffins, and she needs to buy crackers. Lucky her, a small market is open, so she goes there to buy her ingredients and heads back home. When she reaches home, the time is 7:35 am. She heads to the kitchen and puts away the groceries. While she is in the middle of that, Won Sik walks in. He is wearing blue jeans and a tanned sweater.

“Did you just get back,” he asks her.

“Yes. I went shopping afterwards.”

“You did?”

“Yes. Junho said he wanted muffins and crackers with ham and cheese for an after school snack, so I went out to buy it for him.”

“You used your own money?”

“Yes.”

“You should’ve told me, so I can give you the money.”

“It’s okay. I don’t mind using my money. I’m also going to eat it too, so don’t worry about it.”

“Well, I have to get going.”

“To work?”

“Yes. I start at eight.”

“Did you eat breakfast?”

“I don’t eat breakfast.”

“But you should. It’s the most important meal of the day.”

“It’s okay. I’m used to it. I won’t be home until late, so don’t wait for me. If anything happens, my phone number is on the fridge. Just give me a call.”

“Sure.”

“Soo Jung is still sleeping.”

“Okay.”

Won Sik leaves and Soo Ah goes to check on Soo Jung. She is still asleep, so Soo Ah goes make herself some breakfast, and then starts on the muffins. As she is mixing the batter together, she hears Soo Jung crying, so she drops everything she is doing, washes her hands, and rushes to Soo Jung’s bedroom. Soo Jung is standing in bed holding onto the edge of the bars.

“Hi, baby girl,” Soo Ah says with a smile.

She picks up Soo Jung and carries her to the living room.

“Why are you crying,” Soo Ah asks. She wipes Soo Jung’s tears away and sits her on the couch. “Stay here. I'm going to get a diaper for you to change into.”

Soo Jung rubs her eyes. 

Soo Ah goes into the bedroom and grabs a diaper before she heads back to Soo Jung. Soo Ah changes Soo Jung’s diaper and goes make her breakfast. After eating, Soo Jung goes to play with her toys, and Soo Ah continues with the muffin. She bakes them and takes the muffin out after they are done.

“Soo Jung,” Soo Ah calls. “Soo Jung.”

The little girl comes running in.

“Want a muffin,” Soo Ah asks.

“Mhm,” Soo Jung says nodding her head.

Soo Ah hands Soo Jung a muffin, so she accepts it. Soo Jung takes a bite and smiles tilting her head back and forth.

“Is it good,” Soo Ah asks bending down to Soo Jung’s level.

“Mhm,” Soo Jung replies.

“That's good. Do you think Junho will like it?”

“Yes.”

She runs off, so Soo Ah goes back to work. After she finishes, Soo Ah goes on to make lunch for Soo Jung and her to eat. 

“Soo Jung,” Soo Ah calls out. “Are you hungry?”

Soo Jung runs in and climbs in her seat. Soo Ah serves Soo Jung her lunch.

“Thank you,” Soo Jung says.

“You're welcome.”

Soo Jung starts to dig in, and so does Soo Ah, but Soo Ah is cleaning too. In an hour, Soo Ah has to go pick up Junho. As she is working, she remembers that she needs a car seat for Soo Jung. Won Sik has never given her a car seat. She goes get her phone and goes to see what Won Sik’s number is. She dials the number on the fridge and puts the phone against her ear. After four rings, Won Sik picks up.

“Hello,” he asks.

“Mr. Kim, it's me, Soo Ah.”

“Is something wrong?”

“No. I just need Soo Jung’s car seat.”

“I didn't give you the car seat?”

“No.”

“I'll be right there to give you the car seat.”

“Okay.”

Won Sik hangs up and grabs his coat.

“I have to go,” he tells Toad. “I'll be back.”

“Where are you going when we're so busy,” Toad asks.

“I have to give the nanny Soo Jung’s car seat.”

“Just be quick than.”

Won Sik quickly drives home and parks his car in the driveway. Soo Ah had already dressed Soo Jung up warmly. The both of them are outside waiting for Won Sik.

“Why are you two out here,” Won Sik asks. “It's cold.”

“We just came out,” Soo Ah says. “And it's about time we go.”

Won Sik quickly transfers the car seat into Soo Ah’s car. She thanks him and buckles Soo Jung up.

“Why are you going so early,” he asks her.

“Am I,” she asks. “I don’t think it’s too early.”

“I guess it doesn’t matter. As long as you get there to pick Junho up.”

“Thanks for bringing the car seat.”

“No problem. I’m going.”

Won Sik climbs into his car and drives away. Soo Ah does the same thing and heads to Junho’s school. After waiting for fifteen minutes, Junho walks out and looks for Soo Ah’s car. She climbs out and waves her hand for him to see. When he spots her, he walks over to her.

“Hello,” Soo Ah greets.

“Hello,” Junho greets back. He climbs into the car, and so does Soo Ah.

“How was school,” she asks him.

“Great. We had a spelling test, and I got 100% on it,” he says buckling his seatbelt.

“Really? That’s great,” Soo Ah says enthusiastically. Soo Ah drives off. 

“It’s nothing,” Junho says bluntly.

“What do you mean it’s nothing? Getting a 100% is great!”

“It doesn’t seem great. When I tell daddy, he isn’t happy for me.”

“He isn’t?”

“No.”

“I’m sure he is, but he doesn’t show it. I know that he is very proud of you.”

“It doesn’t look like it.”

“Trust me. Your daddy is very proud of you even if he doesn’t say anything.”

Junho doesn’t say anything back.

“I made muffins,” Soo Ah continues. “Chocolate chips just the way you want it.”

“Really,” he asks excited.

“Yes! I also have crackers, cheese, and ham, but I think we should save that for tomorrow.”

“Okay.”

“How was your lunch?”

“It was great! I love the sandwich and cookie. How did you know I like chocolate chip cookies?”

“Everyone likes chocolate chip cookies.”

Once they reach home, Junho throws his bag on his bed and heads straight to the kitchen. Soo Ah sets Soo Jung down and takes off her coat, hat, and mittens. Soo Jung then starts to run around to play.

“Ms. Lim,” Junho calls out. “I want the muffins!”

“I’m coming,” Soo Ah calls out.

She stands up to go put Soo Jung’s clothes away then hurries off to the kitchen. Junho is looking at the muffins that is sitting on the counter. The muffins are way too far away for Junho to reach for them. Soo Ah walks over to them, and uncovers the muffins before she gives Junho one.

“Thank you,” he says accepting the muffin. He takes a bite out of the muffin and smiles.

“It’s really good,” he compliments.

“Thank you. I tried my best,” Soo Ah says proud.

Junho looks so happy that it makes her happy.

“I have plenty more, but you shouldn’t eat too much. It’s not good for you.”

Junho nods his head.

“Why don’t you sit down,” Soo Ah asks.

Junho is so fixed on eating that muffin that Soo Ah helps him to the chair. She sits him down and pushes the chair in. He continues to eat the muffin while she looks for food to make for dinner.

“No homework,” she asks.

“No.”

“What do you want for dinner?”

“I really liked the dinner from last night,” he answers.

“You did? Thank you, but how about we eat something new today?”

“Okay.”

“Do you want anything?”

“Pasta.”

“Pasta? What kind of pasta? Spaghetti?”

He nods his head.

“Okay. I’ll see what I can do.”

“Can I have one more muffin,” he asks. “Just one more.”

“Sure.”

Soo Ah hands him another muffin before she looks for the ingredients to make spaghetti. There is no sauce or spaghetti. Absolutely nothing to make spaghetti, so she decides to go shopping again.

“Junho, do you want to go shopping with me? I’ll make spaghetti for you later,” Soo Ah says.

“Sure.”

“Great. After you finish, get ready to go.”

“Okay.”

Soo Ah gives him a glass of water, and he thanks her.

“Soo Jung,” Soo Ah says bending down to her level. She is drawing a picture on a piece of paper. “Want to go shopping with Junho and Ms. Lim?”

“Yes,” Soo Jung says dropping her marker. “Let’s go.”

“Okay. Let’s go get ready.”

Soo Ah holds onto Soo Jung’s hands and leads her to the bedroom. She dresses Soo Jung up and pretty soon, Junho comes in to get ready as well. Once the kids are ready, Soo Ah goes get ready herself. She throws on her coat and grabs her purse before she boards the kids into the car and drives off to the market. As they shop, she buys the ingredients to make spaghetti, and even buys the kids some toys to play with. 

That night, they all eat spaghetti for dinner. She helps the kids with their baths and helps them brush their teeth before she puts them into bed.

“Good night,” she tells Junho.

“Good night, Ms. Lim.”

She rocks Soo Jung to sleep and lies her down in her bed. Soo Ah turns off the light in the room and walks to the kitchen. She starts to clean up, and by the time she finishes, the time is already ten at night. Her feet is aching, and her eyes are already droopy. She goes lie down in bed and closes her eyes. She opens her eyes again when her alarm wakes her up. Soo Ah stretches and reaches for her phone. Soo Ah turns off the alarm and lies in bed for a little while before she sits up. She heads to the bathroom and looks at herself in the mirror. She notices that she is still wearing what she wore yesterday. A turquoise long sleeve shirt and skinny blue jeans. Soo Ah quickly washes up and goes change into a black sweater and new jeans. She ties her hair into a messy bun and goes prepare breakfast and lunch for Junho. Then she goes wake Junho up and sends him to school after the morning routine. When she returns, everyone is still asleep, so she goes prepare breakfast for Won Sik. Soo Ah plans to make oatmeal with a poached egg on top. As she is in the middle of doing that, she hears Won Sik wake up. She listens as his footsteps go to the bathroom, and the door closes. Soo Ah quickly finishes up and sets the table. She also cuts up an apple and puts that beside the bowl. The door to the bathroom opens after a couple more minutes, and she hears Won Sik walk to his room. As she waits for him, she also prepares herself and Soo Jung some breakfast. 

“How was your first day yesterday,” Won Sik asks he walks into the kitchen.

He is wearing black skinny jeans and a dark blue sweater.

“It was fine. Fun actually,” she replies.

“Really? Because when I got home, you were already asleep, and you didn’t even change into your pajamas.”

“Yeah. It was tiring as well.”

“I know it’s tiring, and I’m grateful that you’re willing to stay.”

“It’s nothing. I enjoy it.”

“Alright.”

Won Sik walks to the fridge and grabs a water bottle before he starts to head out.

“Wait,” Soo Ah says stopping him.

“Yes,” he asks.

“You’re not eating breakfast?”

“I have to go. We have many cases that needs to be solved.”

“Eat breakfast first. You’ll have more energy if you do so.”

“I really don’t have time.”

“Then at least pack these apples with you,” she says. “They’re great for breakfast. Eating an apple will wake you up in the morning.”

“Really?”

“Yes,” she says a little enthusiastic.

“What else did you make?”

“Oatmeal with a poached egg on top.”

“That does sound good.”

“It is good. It’s also good for you heath. The oatmeal will help you maintain weight and gives your the protein that you need, and the poached egg makes your brain function even better.”

“Really?”

“Yes, so please eat breakfast before you go.”

“If you insist.”

Won Sik sits down and picks up the fork before he eats. He stabs the fork into the poached egg and the yolk starts to flow out. He eats it and Soo Ah waits for a reply.

“I usually don’t like to eat eggs that aren’t fully cooked,” Won Sik says. “But this poached egg with oatmeal is very good.”

“Thank you,” Soo Ah says with a smile. “Make sure to eat the apples too.”

He takes an apple slice and bites into it.

“It’s very sweet,” he says.

Soo Ah can’t help but smile.

“Okay,” Won Sik says. “I’m going to be late for work.”

“That’s all you’re eating?”

“I have to go.”

Won Sik stands up and pushes his chair in.

“Then,” Soo Ah quickly grabs a small lunch box and pours the apple slices into it. “At least take the apple slices with you, so you can eat them.” She hands him the lunch box, and he takes it.

“Thank you,” he says.

“And make sure to wake up earlier tomorrow, so I can make you breakfast.”

He nods his head and heads out. Soo Ah cleans up Won Sik’s plate and goes to grab her laptop. She sets up her school books on the coffee table and grabs her breakfast. She sits on the couch and multitasks. Soo Ah is eating her breakfast and doing her homework at the same time.

 

Won Sik walks into Unit 3 and heads straight to his desk. He sets the lunch box in his hand down and opens up his laptop. He turns it on and goes to work. As he is doing so, Won Sik opens the lunch box up and starts to eat the apples. They turned a little brown, but the taste is still very sweet.

“You’re eating today,” Pinocchio comments as he walks in.

“Yeah. Apparently apples are a good breakfast for you,” Won Sik replies.

“Really? Who says?”

“The new nanny at my place.”

“The new nanny? She must know a lot about food.”

“She’s majoring in nurse, so she knows a few things.”

“Good for you,” Pinocchio says walking to his desk. “You have a nanny to look over your kids and even you.”

“I wouldn’t say that. I hired her to look over my kids, not me.”

“It doesn’t look like it to me.”

“What are you two talking about,” Toad asks as he walks in.

“Tiger’s new nanny.”

“Yeah? Well why don’t we change the subject now. That man that has been breaking into people’s houses, we finally caught him. He’s being questioned right now.”

“That’s one case off our plates,” Pinocchio says.

“But the one with the missing child is still in progress. Does anyone have any new information?”

No one says anything.

“Nothing,” Toad asks.

“I’ve been searching through the footages,” Melon, another cop, says. “And I’ve seen a car that has the same license plate number that we have here.”

“Why didn’t you say so earlier,” Toad asks.

Everyone rushes over to his desk, and Melon plays the footage for everyone.

“That is it,” Toad says. “The car. Track where the car has gone to.”

“I tried,” Melon says. “But I’ve got nothing. The car isn’t registered.”

“The car isn’t registered?”

“Have you tried following where the car goes in that footage,” Won Sik asks.

“I did. The car goes to the east side of town, but there’s an area that doesn’t have a camera, so I lost it.”

“We can start there,” Toad says. “Tiger and Pinocchio, you two head to the east side and see what you can find.”

“Yes, sir,” the both of them say

They go to their desks and grab their jacket before they head to the east side of town. That side of town is where the city peoples live, so it’s going to be busy, and the area will be very large. Pinocchio drives the car not knowing where to go.

“The area is too big,” he says. “We can’t cover enough grounds with just the two of us.”

“I’ve been trying to track the car,” Won Sik says. He is looking at footages on his laptop. 

“Let’s go to a coffee shop and get something to eat. I’m hungry. We can also continue in there.”

“Okay.”

Pinocchio drives to the nearest cafe. He orders a cup of iced Americano and tuna sandwich. Won Sik orders a cup of Frappuccino and a ham sandwich. Won Sik continues to look at the footage as they eat though he barely touched his food. He is too focused about finding the car.

“Pinocchio,” Won Sik says.

“Did you find something?”

“The car. It was parked in front of this house before it got towed away. We should go there and ask them questions.”

“Okay. Finish up your food first.”

Won Sik takes a couple of bites before he leaves with Pinocchio to the house. Pinocchio rings the doorbell to the house and waits for the owner to come open the door.

“May I help you,” the woman asks.

“Hello, ma’am. We’re cops looking for a missing car,” Pinocchio says showing her his badge. “Is it okay if we ask you some questions?”

“Of course.”

“Was there a white car parked in front of your house?”

“Yes.”

Won Sik writes it down.

“For how long?”

“It was there for a few days before it got towed away,” the lady says.

“Did the car belong to you?”

“No. It was just parked there one morning. We thought maybe it was the neighbors, but no one came to claim it, and since it was parked in front of the fire hydrant, it got towed away.”

“You didn’t see the person who parked it there?”

“No. No one did.”

“Okay. Thank you, ma’am.”

Won Sik and Pinocchio head back to their car.

“So we know that the culprit is now walking to get to the destination,” Pinocchio says. “Without a car, he can’t get too far.”

“That means that he’s around this area,” Won Sik replies.

“We should head back to the station and ask for more men. We can’t cover all of this area alone.”

“Okay.”

They head back to Unit 3, and Toad immediately asks them if they found anything out. Pinocchio tells Toad everything that they did and asks for more men.

“The area is too big. We need more men to help us find the culprit,” Pinocchio says.

“Okay. I’ll give you more men,” Toad says.

“We’ll also need a warrant.”

“Of course.”

Pinocchio and Won Sik leads the way to the east side of town and searches for the man. After searching for the whole day, they don’t get anywhere. 

“We’ll continue our search tomorrow,” Pinocchio says. “For now, let’s call it a day.”

Everyone heads back to Unit 3, but Won Sik doesn’t want to go back. He wants to continue. However, Pinocchio is his ride, so he has to go back. Even when everyone goes home for the night, Won Sik is still at his desk. He is looking at the footages again. Won Sik wants to see where that man has gone to. The only picture he has is a picture of the victim’s side, and the view isn’t good either. The picture is blurry, but Won Sik still refers back to that picture from time to time. 

“Tiger,” Toad says. “What are you still doing here?” Toad walks in and goes to his desk.

“I want to find the culprit. I can’t seem to be still.”

“You’ve been here long enough. You should go home. Think about your health.”

“I will after I do a little more research. What are you doing here?”

“I came to confirm something, and I forgot my gloves.”

Won Sik goes back to do some more research.

“It’s already one in the morning,” Toad says. “Go home, and continue tomorrow.”

“I’ll go after a little more researching.”

“You said that already. Go. It’s a command.”

Won Sik sighs. “Yes, sir.”

Won Sik saves everything and turns off his computer before he heads home. There is a little lamp , so he can see when he comes home. The house is quiet, but warm. He quietly goes to his bedroom, and when he passes the kids bedroom, he checks up on them. Soo Jung is fast asleep, and so is Junho. He goes to give each one of them a kiss on the forehead before he heads to his room. Won Sik closes the door and changes into something more comfortable. He comes back out and checks on Soo Ah. She is sitting at her desk studying. He sees her text book sitting on the desk and her computer is on as well. The lamp on the table is also on.

“Are you still studying,” he asks her.

She lifts up her head and gasps. “You’re back. I didn’t even hear you come in.”

“You should go to sleep. It’s already late.”

“Yeah. I’ll sleep after I finish this problem. Did you eat dinner?”

“No.”

“You haven’t ate dinner?”

“I usually don’t.”

“You should eat dinner before seven o’clock. You’ll start to feel bloated if you eat past seven.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“I sure am learning new things every single day.”

“That’s good isn’t it?”

“Yeah. It is.”

“If you’re hungry, I made clam soup.”

“Okay.”

“Should I go warm it up for you?”

“No. I’m not hungry.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“It’s better to eat.”

“No. I’m going to sleep. It’s been a long day for me.”

“Sure.”

“Make sure to sleep too. It’s almost two in the morning.”

“Okay.”

Won Sik walks back to his room and goes under the covers. He wants to sleep, but he can’t, so he sits up and climbs out of bed. He walks past Soo Ah’s room, and sees her sleeping at the desk. Her computer went to sleep, but the lamp is still on. He walks in and extends his arm towards her, but he stops midway. He didn’t want to wake her up, but if she sleeps like this, her neck is going to hurt when she wakes up. He gently taps her on the shoulder, and she wakes up.

“You should sleep on the bed instead. It'll be more comfortable there,” he tells her.

“Oh. I must've fell asleep while studying.” She yawns and stretches. “What are you doing up,” she asks him.

“I was thirsty,” he replies.

“Should I go get you water?”

“No. I can do it myself.”

“Okay.”

He leaves, and she goes to sleep on the bed.