Goodbye

Perfect

 

Unit 3 continues to search thoroughly through the case. Everyone is doing a little part at a time, so Mori doesn't suspect them.

One day, when Mori was out, Melon walks in with an orange envelope in his hands. “I have the results,” he starts.

“To what,” Toad asks.

“I got my hands to some beer cans from Koala Beer, The Cans, and, Great Kingdom Drinks. I took them to a shop and asked the man there to see what kind of ingredients they have in them. I have the results in my hands.”

“Melon, you did not just do that,” Toad says shocked.

“But I did.”

Toad shows a proud smile.

“How on earth did you get your hands on their beers,” Pinocchio asks.

“I have my connections,” Melon says.

Everyone praises him making him feel good.

Mori walks in and everyone's laughter does dies down. Melon puts the orange envelope away without Mori noticing.

“What's wrong,” Mori asks. “Did something happen?”

“No. We were just talking about the case,” Toad answers. “Have you found out anything new?”

“No, but I do have the results to what kind of ingredients the three company we suspect has.”

“You do,” Toad asks shock.

“I do.” Mori opens the envelope in his hand and takes out a white piece of paper. “It says here that Koala Beer has in there beer 100%. The Cans and Great Kingdom Drinks don’t even come into play.”

“We still need more evidence,” Toad says. “Thank you for the information.”

“You're welcome, sir.” Mori gives the document to Toad and heads to his desk.

Later on that day. Everyone has gone home except Toad, Pinocchio, Won Sik, and Melon. Melon opens his envelope and takes out the documents.

“Koala Beer doesn't even come close,” Melon says.

“Who does,” Toad asks.

“Great Kingdom Drinks.”

“Mori was lying again,” Pinocchio says.

“I noticed that too,” Toad adds.

“Have you been looking into him,” Won Sik asks Pinocchio.

“I’ve found nothing. It’s like this Mori doesn’t exist,” Pinocchio answers.

“You have to find out no matter what,” Toad says. “We have to find out where he came from. Why he’s lying to us. If he’s lied to us twice, he’s going to lie to us again.” Toad looks at the documents Mori gave him earlier. “Where did he get this document?” Toad throws the document to Pinocchio. “Find out where this came from.”

“I can do that,” Melon says. “Pinocchio already has enough on his plate.”

“Okay,” Toad says.

Pinocchio hands Melon the document. “I’ll leave it to you then.”

“I’ll do my best,” Melon replies.

“I’ll also ask the head about Mori,” Toad says.

Everyone except Won Sik leaves the unit. He sits at his desk and stares at his blank laptop screen. No matter how much he thinks about it, this case is not adding up. Why would Mori want everyone to think that Koala Beer is the culprit when all the evidence they have is pointing towards Great Kingdom Drinks. He couldn’t think of the answer no matter what. Won Sik stands up and starts pacing around the unit. This was bothering him. He walks back to his desk and picks up his phone. Won Sik calls his parents.

“Mom,” he starts. “I don’t think I can come home tonight. Please look after my kids for me.”

“You’re not going to over work yourself are you,” Mrs. Kim asks.

“I’m just trying to figure something out. I won’t work too long, but I’ll pick up the kids tomorrow after work is done.”

“Okay. Take care.”

“You too, mom.”

Won Sik hangs up his phone and sets it down on his desk again. He sighs and hangs his head low. That’s when he notices Mori’s desk. Won Sik raises his head and approaches the desk. He opens the drawer to see a white document. Won Sik reaches for it and starts to read the documents.

“Jang Mori. Works at Koala Beer. 26 years old.” There’s nothing but information about Mori. Then why can’t Pinocchio find anything about Mori? Unless, he’s stealing identity. Won Sik takes a picture of the documents and carefully puts them back into place. He walks to his laptop and starts to do some research.

Jang Mori does work at Koala Beer. He is 26 years old, but he died last year from a gas leak that came from his car. Then who is this Mori, and who is he working for?

The next morning, Won Sik calls the nanny to let her know that she didn't have to come today. He then goes to work and tells Toad to meet him outside.

“What is it,” Toad asks.

“I have to tell you something,” Won Sik says. He takes out his laptop  and shows him what he found last night. “This is the real Mori.”

Toad looks through the information. “Who are we working with then?”

“I'm not sure. I'll also tell Pinocchio.”

“Okay. Let's go inside before someone comes.”

“Okay.”

They walk inside and both sit at their desk.

Nothing big happens that day. Toad asks Mori if he found anything new, but Mori says he hasn't. After work, Won Sik tells Pinocchio about Mori.

“I found that out last night too,” Pinocchio says. “So I did more research, and found out that his real name is Ahn Jimin. He works for Great Kingdom Drinks.”

“He does?”

The door opens, so Won Sik and Pinocchio  looks back.

“What are you two still doing here,” Mori asks.

“We were looking more into the case,” Pinocchio answers. “What are you doing here?”

“I left some documents here. If you're worried about the case, you shouldn't be. I can take care of this case myself.”

“How can we let you do it yourself when it's such a big case,” Won Sik asks. “You'll need help later, so let us help you now.”

“Okay then. If you find anything, tell me, so we can share informations,” Mori says.

“Of course.”

Mori grabs the documents. Won Sik notices that it is the same ones he saw yesterday.

“Don't work too hard,” Mori says before he walks out.

“I don't think it's safe to keep talking here,” Pinocchio says. “Text me or meet me in secret somewhere else.”

“Okay.”

A few weeks has gone by and nothing new has happened. Mori continues to lead them towards Koala Beer, while everyone else continues to search for Great Kingdom Drinks. Unit 3 knows for sure that it is Great Kingdom Drinks now because of Melon. Melon found out that Mori, Jimin, got the information from Great Kingdom Drinks. They made the information look real, when it's actually fake. Unit 3 could go in right now and arrest them for using illegal drugs and giving the police flash information, but they want to wait for the perfect time. Melon found out that they will be shipping a cargo box to China again in a few days.

To Won Sik’s surprise, it's where Soo Ah lives.

Jimin tells them that Koala Beer is shipping the cargo out, but he told them a different time and place.

“We must split up,” Toad says quietly. “Some of us will go with Mori, while the others go catch Great Kingdom Drinks.”

“What will we say,” Melon asks.

“We'll call in sick,” Won Sik says. “But first, we have to recruit some man from other units to help us. If we split up, we won't be able to catch them.”

“I'll go,” Melon says.

“I think we should let Pinocchio go as well,” Toad says. “He's quick and smart. He’ll know what to do.”

“We need someone who is familiar with the place,” Won Sik adds. “I actually know someone who lives there. I'll have her take us there, so I'll go.”

“Who's the person who lives there,” Toad asks.

“Lim Soo Ah. The nanny.”

“Soo Ah lives there?”

“Yes. I'm sure she knows the place.”

“Then we'll have Pinocchio and Won Sik go.”

“I should go,” Melon says.

“Why. We need you here,’ Toad says.

“I have someone who is giving me all of this information.”

“Who?”

“My brother works for Great Kingdom Drinks. He's the one who gave me all the information.”

“When you said you had connections, you were talking about your brother,” Pinocchio asks.

“Yes.”

“You sure have surprising characteristics,” Toad says. “And I like it.”

“Melon is like is exactly like a Melon,” Won Sik says. “You look plain on the outside, but you're actually great on the inside.”

“Thank you,” Melon says with a wide smile.

“We'll have Melon and Won Sik go then,” Toad says. “Pinocchio can stay here with us. I'll make sure to get some recruitment, so don't worry about it.”

“Understood,” Melon and Won Sik both said.

“We should go there early,” Won Sik says. “So Soo Ah can give us the tour of the town. We'll have a greater chance of catching them that way.”

“Okay,” Melon says.

“Since the date is set to be four days from now, we'll leave in two days. That way we have time to get to know the place.”

“Okay.”

 

Soo Ah’s dad has become weaker as time goes on. He's been sleeping more and eating less. Soo Ah tries to make him eat to have energy, but he always tells her that he isn't hungry. She is getting more and more nervous. Her dad might pass away any day now, and she doesn't even know when. One day, Soo Ah was outside watering the grass when a car parked in front of her house. She knew exactly who it was.

“Hey,” he says after he climbs out of the car. “Sorry for dropping by without a notice.”

“It's fine. What are you doing here,” Soo Ah asks.

“I thought I should come visit again. That's fine right?”

“Of course it is.”

“How's your dad feeling?”

“He's fine.”

“May I go greet him?”

“Yes. Please come in.”

Soo Ah turns off the water and leads the way to go inside.

“Dad,” Soo Ah says as she walks to his room. “Young Jae is here to say hello. He's probably sleeping,” Soo Ah tells Young Jae.

“I'll say hi to him later then,” Young Jae says.

“It's okay. It's time for him to take his medicine anyway.” Soo Ah opens the door and walks to her sleeping dad. “It's time for your medication.” She sits down and grabs the pills from beside her. “Dad, wake up. It's time to take your medication.” He doesn't move. “Dad.” She places her hand on top of his and gasps. He is ice cold. “Dad?” She shakes him and starts to cry. “Did you really leave? I didn't even get to say goodbye.” She picks his hand up and brings it to her cheeks. They felt even colder against her warm skin. Soo Ah places his hand back down, and wipes her tears away. Soo Ah stands up and walks back to Young Jae. “My father can’t meet you sadly,” Soo Ah tells him.

“What’s wrong,” Young Jae asks. Seeing that Soo Ah is crying makes him even more worried.

“My father has gone to a better place.”

“Excuse me?”

“It’ll be best if you leave for now. I need some time alone with my dad. I won’t see you out.” Soo Ah walks back to her dad’s bedroom and closes the door. Her tears start to flow again. It takes her a few minutes to grab her phone from her pocket to contact uncle Jimmy.

“Hello,” he asks throw the phone.

“Uncle,” Soo Ah cries. “Dad.” She couldn’t help herself from breaking down. Soo Ah could hear uncle Jimmy crying from his end of the line.

“I’ll be there soon,” he says.

“Okay.”

Soo Ah hangs up and puts her phone inside her pocket again. She walks to her dad’s side and kneels in front of him. She takes his hand again, but he is frozen, so she could only place her hands on top of his. Soo Ah bends down and lies her head on top of his hands.

Young Jae is still out in the living room. He can hear everything Soo Ah is doing. Even though Soo Ah didn’t specify, Young Jae believes that her father had just past away. He wants to go and comfort her, but she’s asked him to leave, so he does.

Soo Ah cries and cries until she hears uncle Jimmy knocking on the door. She goes answer it. Soo Ah leads uncle Jimmy to her dad’s room. They both break down.

“Sung Woo, I promise you that I’ll take care of Soo Ah like you want,” uncle Jimmy says.

“Dad didn’t want to do anything special,” Soo Ah says. “He only wants to be next to mom. I would like to fulfill that wish.”

“Of course. That’s exactly what we will do.”

And so that’s what they did. Uncle Jimmy and Soo Ah gathers some more people to help them carry Soo Ah’s dad. They take him to Soo Ah’s mother's grave and buries him next to her. After the small ceremony, everyone leaves but Soo Ah and uncle Jimmy. Soo Ah is kneeling down beside her father's grave crying.

“Sweetheart,” uncle Jimmy says. “You should stop crying or you're not going to feel well.”

Soo Ah doesn't say anything. She takes a deep breath and wipes her tears away. “I'll try to,” Soo Ah says in between her sobs. “Uncle, shouldn't cry too or uncle, is going to be sick.”

Uncle Jimmy nods his head. “Let's go home.”

“You go first,” Soo Ah says. “I'll come home in a little while.”

“If I leave you here, you're going to cry, and no one is going to see you. Let's go home.” Uncle Jimmy grabs Soo Ah’s arm and makes her stand up. “Let's go home.”

“Goodbye, dad,” Soo Ah sobs.

Uncle Jimmy takes Soo Ah home and tells her to stay home and to not cry. She does as she is told; however she couldn't stop herself from crying. She knows that her dad's life was coming to an end, and she was well prepared for it, but that fact that her dad would go so soon and she was without parents now was saddening. She walks into her dad's bedroom and looks around. Everything looks the same, but her dad will never come back. Soo Ah hears a knock on the door, so she wipes her tears away and takes a deep breath. Soo Ah goes answer the door.

“Young Jae,” Soo Ah says surprised. “What are you still doing here?”

“I thought you'd want a friend with you right now,” Young Jae replies. He looks at her wondering what her response would be.

Seeing that Young Jae is in front of her willing to comfort her makes Soo Ah break down. She did need someone to lean on right now, and Young Jae was the one who happened to be here for her.

Young Jae grabs Soo Ah’s hands and pulls her in for a hug. Seeing her cry makes him hurt. He wants to stay next to her and comfort her and protect her until her pain goes away. He hugs her tighter and let's her cry.

The both of them are sitting behind the coffee table. Young Jae gives Soo Ah tissues and let's her cry until her heart desires.

“I'm sorry,” Soo Ah says after she blows her knows. “It's no fun listening to someone cry.”

“It's okay. Just don't get sick. I would be very worried if you got sick,” Young Jae replies.

“Yeah.” She takes a deep breath. “I do feel a little light headed.”

“No more crying then.”

Soo Ah nods her head and wipes her eyes.

“Should I go make you something to eat,” Young Jae asks. “Or should I go buy something for you to eat?”

“I'm fine,” Soo Ah answers. She sniffles. “Unless you're hungry. I'll go get you food.”

“No. I'm okay. How about you rest then. I'll be here.”

“Are you planning to stay?”

“No. I mean yes. I mean no. Uh, if it's okay with you. I want to stay and comfort you.”

“You're very sweet.”

Young Jae smiles in embarrassment.

“If you're willing,” Soo Ah says. “I'm sure dad is very happy that I have a friend like you.”

“I'm glad he's happy. Now rest. I'll be here if you need anything.”

She takes a deep breath to calm herself down even more. “You're going to be bored.”

“That's okay.”

“If you insist.”

Soo Ah walks to her room and closes the door behind her. She locks the door, and changes into a white t-shirt and black shorts. She comes back out, and Young Jae is still where he was before.

When Young Jae hears Soo Ah come out, his head turns to her, and he smiles. “You're not going to sleep?”

“No. I'm not tired,” Soo Ah replies. She goes sit at the end of the table. “Do you want to do anything?”

“No. We should stay here. My mom says to never go out after a relative has past away.”

“We'll just stay here then. If you're bored, just tell me. We can go outside and get some fresh air or something.”

“How can we go out when you look like that?”

Soo Ah gives him a look making him realize what he just said.

“No,” he protests with wide eyes. “That’s not what I meant,” he says waving his hands in front of him. “I mean we should go some other day when you’re feeling better.”

“I understand,” Soo Ah says with a soft chuckle.

“So how are you feeling?”

“Honestly, I feel like I want to follow mom and dad too.”

“Oh. I should’ve guessed that. Why would you feel better after just a few hours? How stupid of me.” Young Jae curses himself making Soo Ah chuckle softly. “Why are you laughing?”

“You’re funny.”

“I am?”

“I know you’re trying to make me feel better, and I appreciate that. Thank you.” She smiles.

“At least I can make you smile.” Young Jae smiles shyly as he rubs his sweaty palms onto his white jeans.

He seems like a high schooler talking to his crush.

“I don’t know if I’m in the right position to ask,” Young Jae starts.

“Ask me,” Soo Ah replies.

“Did you know that your father was going to pass away?”

“Of course I knew. That’s why I quit my job to be with my dad.”

“You’re such a good daughter.”

“Please.” Soo Ah wipes her nose with the back of her hands. “I’m a horrible daughter. I was so far away from my dad that I didn’t even know he was sick.”

“But you did what you could to make him better did you not?”

“I asked the doctor if we could do anything else other than giving him medication, but the doctor said surgery will just increase is death rate, so I decided to go with his medication.”

“See. You are a good daughter.”

“I don’t feel like one.”

“You are a good daughter. I’m sure your dad is proud of what you did for him and for you.”

“Thanks,” Soo Ah says with a smile.

“So are you going back? You still have school to attend.”

“I don’t know. I’m a little worried about the tuition fee since I’m not working anymore. And where am I going to find the money for dorms?”

“How about scholarships?”

“It’s already too late to apply for the fall scholarship.”

“I can help you. I can pay for your tuition and dorm fee.”

“That’s very nice of you, but I can’t accept your offer.”

“Right,” Young Jae says nodding his head. “I wouldn’t accept it either,” he shakes his head. “Sorry for such an awkward offer.”

“It’s okay.” But honestly it was not okay for Soo Ah. His offer was awkward, but the way he quickly realizes that his offer was awkward made him look cute in her eyes.

They continue with their awkward talks and eventually got to know each other better.

 

With his busy schedule, Won Sik has been having his parents look at his kids, so he’s fired the new nanny. Today, before Won Sik drops his kids off at his parents and head to work, he walks to his room to grab some documents. He thought that he left them on his desk, but they weren’t there, so he opens his drawer. He picks up his documents and notices the bracelet that belongs to Soo Ah. He never had the time to get it fixed, and totally forgot about it. Won Sik puts the documents down and picks up the bracelet. The bracelet is still the same. He finds a small box and puts the bracelet into it before he slides the box into his pocket. Before he heads to work, he goes to a jewelry shop and asks the lady from behind the counter to fix it. When she is done, the bracelet looks exactly like how it was from before.


 

Minah walks to Won Sik’s front door and knocks on it. She waits for him to answer it, but he doesn’t come.

Where is he?

She takes out her phone and calls him.

“Hello?”

“Won Sik? Where are you,” she asks.

“I’m at work right now.”

“Already?”

“It’s already nine. I usually get to work by eight.”

“I thought you changed that.”

“When did I do that?”

“No? I'll come see you at work.”

“No. Everyone is busy right now. If you're just coming to visit, you shouldn’t.”

“But I miss you very much.”

“You can come visit me on my days off.”

“When is that?”

“I'm not sure. I have to go. My boss is calling me.”

“But.”

Won Sik hangs up, and Minah pouts.

“He won't even tell me his days off,” she says. Minah immediately feels her heart break. She knows that Won Sik has always pushed her away, but this time she's had enough. She's tired of Won Sik always pushing her away. A tear escapes her eyes, so she wipes it away. Minah walks to her car and drives off.

 

Young Jae has been staying with Soo Ah and keeping her company. He's been sleeping in Soo Ah’s room while Soo Ah sleeps in her dad's room. Because of his presence, Soo Ah has been feeling better, but she sure do miss her dad.

Soo Ah is in the front yard clipping off the extra leaves on the bushes. She is wearing a white sun hat to shield the sun from her skin, blue skinny jeans, and a green shirt tucked into her jeans. As she is doing so, her phone rings. Soo Ah reaches for her phone in her back pocket. When she sees who is calling her, she freezes, but answers the phone.

“Hello,” she says into the phone.

“Soo Ah, it's me.”

“Yes, sir. I know”

“Have you been well?”

“Yes.”

“That's good. How's your dad?”

“Dad past away already.”

“What?”

“It's been two days including today.”

“I'm sorry I can't be there for you.”

“It's okay.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Empty.”

“I'm sure you are.”

“How are the kids?”

“They're good. They miss you a lot.”

“I miss them too.”

“I should take them to visit you soon, but not soon.”

“What do you mean?”

“Actually, I called to ask if I could come tomorrow.”

“You're going to come here tomorrow?”

“It's for work. I'm trying to catch a culprit who is going to ship illegal drugs, and they just happened to be doing the transaction there. Is it okay if I come there tomorrow?”

“Of course. It's for work, and it sounds urgent.”

“I'm bringing one of my coworker with me. That's okay right?”

“Of course.”

“Thank you. I was also wondering if you could give us a tour of the town. If I'm asking too much, you don't have to.”

“I'm sure I can. I can show you around. What time will you be here tomorrow?”

“I don’t know. I’ll text you the time later.”

“Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

Soo Ah hangs up and continues to cut the excess leaves. As she does so, the thought that Won Sik will be coming over tomorrow lingers in her head. Soo Ah stops and picks up the leaves she threw on the ground and throws them away. She heads inside and grabs her purse.

Where did Young Jae go?

She takes her sun hat off and hangs it on a hook.

Young Jae walks in through the front door. “Where are you going,” Young Jae asks.

“I’m going to the store.”

“But we have enough food already.”

“Won Sik is coming tomorrow with a friend.”

“He’s coming tomorrow?”

“Yeah. He has work he needs to do.”

“Oh.”

“So I’m going to go buy more food and prepare it for them tomorrow.”

“I’ll go with you.”

“Let’s go.”

“Let’s go by foot this time.”

“Okay,” Soo Ah says with a smile. “Should we take an umbrella with us? It’s very hot.”

“Sure.”

Young Jae goes to the umbrella rack and grabs a red umbrella. Soo Ah goes there too and grabs a blue umbrella.

“We can just share,” Young Jae says. “Or I can walk underneath the sun, and you take the umbrella.”

“It’s okay. We can just take individual umbrellas. Let’s go. It’s getting late.”

Young Jae and Soo Ah heads off to the store. There, she buys meat, vegetables, fruits, and drinks.

“Can we buy candy too,” Young Jae asks. “Some juice too. Cold ones. It’s very hot outside.”

“Sure,” Soo Ah chuckles. She grabs some chips and chocolate and cold drinks then she goes pay for it. “Let’s go,” she says after taking the bags into her hands.

“I’ll carry them,” Young Jae says. He takes the bags from Soo Ah. “Let’s go.”

She smiles and follows him out of the store.

“We should’ve taken the car,” Young Jae says. “It’s so hot.”

“I know, and you’re wearing all black too,” Soo Ah laughs.

“I should’ve changed.”

Young Jae is wearing black skinny jeans, a black v-neck t-shirt, and black shoes.

“Why do I have so much black clothings,” Young Jae ask jokingly.

“I don’t know. Why do you?”

Young Jae shrugs. “Can you open the cold juice for me?”

“Yeah.”

Soo Ah grabs the bag that has the cold juice pouch and opens it.

“Here,” she hands him the carton.

“I don’t have hands,” Young Jae says.

He is holding the bags in his right hand, and the umbrella in his left hand.

“Right,” Soo Ah says. She puts her umbrella away and grabs his umbrella. “Here you go,” she says handing him the pouch to his free hand.

“Thank you,” he says taking the carton from her. He takes a sip. “Ahh! How refreshing,” he says after he swallows.

Soo Ah grabs another one out for herself, but struggles to open it.

“Here,” Young Jae says. He hangs the bags on his right wrist and takes the umbrella from her.

“Thanks,” she says. Soo Ah opens the pouch and takes a sip. “Mmm,” she says, “So cold and refreshing.”

“Can you open the candy too,” Young Jae asks.

“Sure. The chocolate or chips?”

“Chips.”

Soo Ah opens the bag of chips and hands it to him, but sees that he has no hands.

“Ahh,” he says.

She places the chips back into the grocery bag, and holds everything in her right hand, so her left hand is free to feed him.

“Mmm,” he says as he chews.

“How old are you?”

“20.”

“Really? I thought you were older than that.”

“Maybe because I don’t act my age.”

“Well, you’re acting like a baby right now.”

“But I’m a man now.”

“Alrighty.”

They laugh and continue to walk home.

Mrs. Jung and her gang happen to walk by on the other side  When she sees Soo Ah and Young Jae together. She stops. “Ladies,” she says. “Didn’t that young man come three days ago? What is he still doing here?”

“Look at them,” another lady says. “They look like they’re a couple.”

“Did she break up with her good looking boss? No. He looks too much like a baby.”

“But they look happy,” another lady adds. “Look at them. They’re already sharing an umbrella.”

Mrs. Jung shakes her head. “I like her boss better.”