Chapter 4: It's a date!

My Flower is You

When his father told him he has a new job this morning, this is not what he was expecting. The order came anonymously with a handsome amount of money, informed by his servant that the customer is specifically asking for Yao Wang to go to a given address, saying his job is waiting there. Though initially his father was reluctant to let him go, Yao Wang managed to convince him nothing bad will happen to him, considering the order comes from a noble family and it would be just like their any other jobs. Upon arrival at the customer's place, Yao Wang looked at the place with an awe. This house area can fit my entire street in here! A man dressed in all-black attire was waiting for him at the entrance gates, informing him that his master has been waiting for his arrival. He was led through a garden filled with beautiful, well-trimmed flowers and several buildings before the man, he said his name is Gon, announced that they have arrived at the destination. Feeling slightly underdressed (he's wearing his old, faded daily attire, damn it!), he fixed his clothes first before knocking three times politely. Hearing the soft instruction to enter, Yao Wang proceeded to open the door with cautious, lowering his gaze showing his respect.

"Yao Wang! You've made it!". The voice surprised him and made Yao Wang's eyes snapped back up and locked onto Yeming's handsome face.

"Young master...?". Yao Wang could only muster his recognition, shocked at seeing the noble man again. Yeming took several steps forward, closing their distance and smiling brightly. "I told you to call me Yeming. Welcome to my house", he greeted happily.

When everything finally clicked in Yao Wang's mind, "Young... I mean Yeming, you're my customer?".

    And now Yao Wang is standing here, thinking how is this even real. This will take weeks to finish! In front of him must be about fifty blank paper lanterns, stacked neatly, and a table full with complete set stationeries placed strategically next to them. Still in disbelief, Yao Wang cannot help but asks again. "I'm sorry, but did you say you want me to draw on ALL of these lanterns?". Yeming nods in confirmation. "Yes! The lantern festival is still ongoing until the day after tomorrow isn't it? I want to release some of these lanterns and keep the rest for my collection". Seeing Yao Wang's unsure look, he continues, "don't worry, you'll be working here in my garden and I'll make sure you will get all you need to complete your job".

    Yang Yeming has been on edge since early morning. He woke up earlier than usual today, surprising his servants at his requests to dress him up nicely. The night before he even instructed them to prepare all the things Yao Wang would need to work in the garden today. Nearing the arrival time, he instructed Gon to welcome his precious flower man while he waited in his room. He was pacing back and forth in his attempt to calm himself down. Time must have passed, as then he finally heard what he had been waiting for - Yao Wang is here! His eyes landed on Yao Wang's appearance, drinking thirstily at the sight of the beautiful man. Even with cheap clothings, his beauty is untarnished, maybe even more so in contrast to his tattered attire. He should be dressed in the finest clothing, Yeming thoughts. He is definitely the happiest today, just at the thought of having Yao Wang all to himself for some days from now on.

***************************************************************************

    Though the task seems impossible at first, Yao Wang has to admit this is actually comfortable and relaxing. He always finds drawing is a pleasant hobby, and now with getting paid to do it, he does not see any problems with this arrangement. The buildings in the household are arranged in a way wind can give a nice breeze to its inhabitants. Trees are grown strategically to provide comfortable shades for those who wishes to spend time in the beautiful garden. Yao Wang is currently sitting down on an outdoor tatami mat, concentrating on drawing forget-me-not flowers on his second lantern. On the first one he had drawn his favourite, lily flowers, of course. He decides that a bouquet of blue, purple and white forget-me-nots would look beautiful on the lantern, and proceeds to outline his drawings before colouring them in to avoid mistakes.

    Yang Yeming, on the other hand, is having the hardest time of his life. He cannot even concentrate on the paperworks he should be doing today. By letting the doors to his room wide open, it gives him a full view of Yao Wang's workspace in the garden. Yao Wang looks breathtaking at this moment - he is full of concentration with his drawings, wind blowing his hair softly on his head. Yao Wang's skin seems to shine under the daylight making him look fairer than usual, probably because he's sweating a little bit. Unable to resist the temptation, Yeming leaves his paperwork and starts walking towards Yao Wang. The fairer man remains oblivious to his appearance, allowing Yeming to have a closer look as Yao Wang's work. God, his hands look so delicate! Yeming lets out a small hum, trying not to startle Yao Wang to announce his arrival. "May I watch you work?", he asks. Yao Wang scoots a little bit to give the young master some space to sit and the noble man takes a seat in front of him.

However, instead of watching him work, Yeming is solely focusing on Yao Wang's face. He wishes the time of the day to be longer so he can savor the sight of the beautiful man in front of him. His smiles slowly fades as realisation hits him, like a bucket of cold water is splashed on his head. The person in front of me is definitely a man, and yet I desire him and I want to make him mine. It had never occurred to him before that he'd fall for someone, either a man or woman. Has he finally learned to love someone? He continues to watch Yao Wang, who seems to be engrossed in his work. I, Kwon Yang Yeming, is deeply in love with the person sitting in front of me, he realisesThough he knows it will bring such great disappointment to his father for being in love with a man, Yeming cannot refuse his feelings any longer. I would rather lose my title, than losing Yao Wang. With a set mind, he is determined to make Yao Wang fall in love with him.

    Little does he know, Yao Wang on the other hand, is feeling immensely flustered with Yeming watching him at work. For some reason, he feels shy whenever he's around this handsome man. His heart flutters whenever Yeming smiles at him. I shouldn't be thinking of him this way, he's a customer! Yao Wang steals another glance at Yeming and flusters, as he finds the noble man's fond gaze meets his. Why am I feeling this way?

****************************************************************************

There are currently four female servants working silently, carefully dressing the Crown Prince. Prince Lee Sun is the only son of the former queen, Queen Minyeong. "Is my father still unwell?", Lee sun asks without looking at his eunuch. "Yes, Your Highness", Eunuch Hong replies, eyes lowered before the Crown Prince. "I will be visiting my mother today", Lee Sun inform his eunuch.

"But Your Highness, His Majesty will be displeased. He forbids Your Highness-". But before Eunuch Hong can finish his sentence, the prince cuts him,"He is too unwell to know what's going on in the palace, let alone knowing me meeting the former queen", Lee Sun mocks the king. Eunuch Hong, unable to persuade the Crown Prince any further, bows to confirm the Prince's order.

Upon his arrival, the Crown Prince is stopped by a court lady before he can even step inside the quarter. "Forgive me, Your Highness, but at the moment, Her Majesty is preoccupied", she states with apologetic expression. Preoccupied? Who is meeting my mother? What is she up to now?.

"Step aside, this is a royal order!" Terrified, the court lady makes way for the Crown Prince.

****************************************************************************

"Uncle, you must find and kill that child! Before that rotten woman (Queen Jeheon) finds first!". Former Queen Minyeong shoots deathly glare at the Minister of Personnel, Hyun Chi-Soo. "Your majesty, I've been trying for the past 17 years to find the former Sukbin lady court. When we were finally able to locate her, she was just a step ahead of us and managed to run away", defending himself, terrified of the wrath of the former Queen Minyeong.

"Excuses! Excuses! You have failed me before, Uncle, and because of that, that child is probably alive and soon will come after me! Even worse! That woman.. That woman will do anything! She will use that child in order to keep her position as the queen!", Queen Minyeong clenching her fists, trying not to lash out physically. "But Your Majesty, you don't know if that child survived, or even if that child did, we are not even sure its gender," as the Minister trying to calm the Queen down.

Queen Minyeong gasps in disbelief at this."So, what are you saying? As long as if the child is not a boy, then it is fine? That we shouldn't worry? Uncle, have you forgotten how much the King adored Lady Haneul? I am lucky enough to be exiled to farther corner within the palace and even more, if it weren't because I bear the Crown Prince, I would be DEAD by now. It doesn't matter if the child is a boy or a girl, if that child is coming back to the palace or even worse if the king's find out that Lady Haneul carried a royal child during her exiled, YOU and I both will be sentenced to death!", says the Queen almost screaming at this point. The Minister shudders thinking of the consequences they would be facing if the King finds out. 

Behind the sliding door, the Crown Prince stands silently listening to the horrifying deed of what his mother and grandfather had committed. So, it's true then, the rumor... mother and grandfather really did that. Unable to listen any further, Lee Sun leaves the quarter, not forgetting to warn the Court Lady keep his arrival a secret or she will be punished severely. The Court Lady anxiously nods at the order as she watches the Crown Prince walks away.

*****************************************************************************

Lee Sun has been sitting quietly in his study room after he told his attending eunuch that he wishes to be left alone. His mind cannot seem to comprehend at what he has just found out. The Crown Prince tries to recall his memory when he was a child, hiding from his eunuch, he snuck into one of the court lady office and overheard the conversation between seniors of naegwan (internal officer's - concern with royal court). Hiding behind a bookshelf, he could only catch few sentences "Lady Haneul killed by the order of Queen Minyeong, that's why she was sent exiled by the King. Can't blame the queen though. I mean looking at way how our King adored Lady Hanuel, even I would be jealous." Gasping in surprise, the other Lady Court said, "Shh... be careful with that mouth of yours", while looking around to make sure there is no one in the room, "that mouth of yours will get you kill. Haven't you heard? By King's order, no one should mention Lady Haneul within the palace. The King is mourning-". A sound like a book dropped surprised both Court Ladies. Alarmed, one of them called out, "who's there?!". Out of fear being caught, the Crown Prince managed to get away through a back door.

Finally remembering, Lee Sun tries to hold back his tears as he endures the pain on his chest. How could he have forgotten that memory? How could he even understand what was happening at that time since he was still a child. He always thought the reason for his mother being exiled and his father despises his mother is because of Queen Jeheon's doing. How foolish of him to think so. No wonder whenever he asks his mother, she would try avoid answering him. And it is no wonder how many times he begs his father to undo his mother sentence, the king would just ignore him. After awhile, Lee Sun finally made up his mind, If the child is still alive, then I must find him or her before the others do and set everything right. Lee Sun vows he will not stop looking for that child.

"Woon, are you there?". A man wearing a red with golden line of royal military uniform, proofs that he is a bodyguard to one of the royal members, appears (in this case; the Crown Prince). "I want you to locate someone that has any connection with what happened 17 years ago, before Lady Haneul was sentenced to exile". Woon bows before the Crown Prince as he accepts the royal order. Lee Sun looks outside of his chamber and stares at his garden. The son will pay the deed of his own parent sin.

*****************************************************************************

    Yang Yeming is currently holding a lunch tray full with homemade dishes while as he walks towards Yao Wang's working space in his garden. He had stopped a servant earlier, saying that he would send it instead, surprising the servant with his behaviour. Yao Wang has been working ever since he arrived, and it worries Yeming that his angel might have been hungry now. "Yao Wang, let's take a break. You must be hungry now", upon arriving as he sets the lunch tray next to Yao Wang.

"Young master, that's a lot of food! It's too much I don't think I can finish it", said Yao Wang as he looks at Yeming in panic. He would be happy with just a small chicken bun he had packed from home instead of a full meal like this.

"What did I say about calling me by my name? And nonsense! This is little compared to what they usually serve here!".

"But...", Yao Wang pauses, "why don't you eat with me? Then the food will not go to waste", Yao Wang suggest with a shy smile. Surprised at his offer, Yeming feels a burst of happiness at the thought of sharing food with the beautiful man. The two men then eat the lunch together while having small talks, allowing Yeming to find out more about Yao Wang.

In the middle of the meal, all of the sudden, Yeming blurts out, "Are you free tonight? Do you want to go out with me for Lantern festival?". This seems to catch Yao Wang by surprise as his cheeks and the tip of his ears go crimson. "Go out with me?", he said in disbelief, "why me?".

"Because I want to spend more time with you", Yeming replies with a handsome smile. How could I say no to this face though? Shyly, Yao Wang agrees with a small smile with a small 'okay...'. To Yao Wang's further embarrassment, Yeming's face breaks out into a full smile and then loudly exclaims, "Great! It's a date then!".




 

Author's note:

No one can ever refuse Yeming tho. Those dimples are killing me! And Yao Wang's face...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANDSOME MAN YANG YEMING!!!!! <3