Chapter 10: Somebody Save Me

My Flower is You

Yao Wang gulps as he watches Myeong storms towards them, his eyes narrowed. This can’t be good. He can already sense a storm is coming. As soon as Yao Wang is within his reach, Myeong roughly grabs him by his arm and roughly pulls him forward.

“You were with HIM?! Have you lost your mind?!”, Myeong is shouting at this point. “When your father came to my house last night asking for you, I thought you were in trouble. I didn't want your father worry so I lied! I told him you were teaching me with drawings after your got back from work and since it's late, you fell asleep. Do you have any idea how nervous I was? I thought for second your father would come to my room and take you home. But lucky for you, he just went home and wanted me to tell you as soon as you wake, you should just head home. I’m this close!”, he makes a pinching gesture, “THIS CLOSE! About to tell your dad the truth! Instead you were with him!”, Myeong does not even bother trying to contain his anger. He feels so betrayed by his best friend, after all they had made a promise before not to involve themselves with the likes of the Young Lord.

Myeong shoots a glare at Yeming and then looks back at Yao Wang. Disliking at his view, Myeong cannot stand it anymore. Like a father disciplining his child, Myeong points to the entrance, “Head inside. Your father is waiting for you”. Worried for his lover, Yao Wang looks Yeming in his eyes, unsure what he should do now. He knows Myeong can be very protective towards him and Yeming is definitely not his favourite person in the world. He should’ve just told him the truth from the beginning. But Yeming just gives him a tenderly smile, unsure his lover. “Go inside, I will be alright”. Torn between leaving his lover and not wanting to worry his father, Yao Wang reluctantly agrees. He glances at

Myeong before taking his leave from both men. As soon as Yao Wang disappears behind the doors, Myeong immediately shoots a glare at the Young Lord. “You come with me”.

Myeong walks to a secluded street away from Yao Wang’s house, followed by a silent Yeming. When they reach at the intended destination, Myeong immediately turns around, squaring his shoulder hoping to look intimidating. It’s a serious matter, he tells himself. “What do you want Yeming? What do you want with Yao Wang?”. He does not trust the man standing in front of him at all, even their families are not on friendly terms. Moreover, there is no plausible reasons for Yeming wanting to get close to Yao Wang, a normal villager with a common background. He hopes this man does not have any ill intentions towards Yao Wang.

Briefly clearing his throat, Yeming looks at him straight in his eyes. “I’m in love with him. Yes, I’m in love with Yao Wang”. He was very displeased looking at the way Myeong roughly handled his lover, but managed to reason out that Myeong is just looking out for Yao Wang. They are really close friends so Yeming does not see any reason to hide the fact that they are together.

Myeong thinks there is something wrong with his ears. Or his brain. Or maybe he’s dreaming. But he is not. He is very much awake and currently confronting the cold man in front of him. “I beg your pardon?”. He must have looked quite dumb now, but he just needs to hear it again. And Yeming repeats his statement with the same serious expression. Myeong looks like a fish now, his mouth open and closes simultaneously, unable to mutter any words. All he can do is just stare blankly at Yeming, waiting for the taller man to laugh and say he’s joking and everything would make sense.

Yet there he is, still standing, looking at Myeong straight in the face. Deep in his heart, he knows Yeming is not the type of man to make idle jokes with the others, but he tries anyways. “You are joking. Please tell me you are joking”. But Yeming, with a serious expression, says the same thing again. “Yao Wang and I, we love each other so much. We are together now, and we would be happy if you give us your blessing”. Myeong, unable to process what he just heard, feels his world gone dark.

*****************************************************************

Yao Wang sits silently across his father, refusing to meet the older man’s eyes, scared of facing his possible wrath. Instead he chooses to look at his fiddling fingers, a nervous habit he picked up long time ago. His father, though soft spoken, has always been strict regarding Yao Wang’s whereabout all the time. So it surprises him when his father decides just to warn him. “I was worried last night when you didn't come home at all. I’m glad you were at Myeong’s house. For a moment, I thought you were in trouble.” Yao Wang guiltily apologises to his father, his head hanging low.

Although he was really worried about his son, Hwan Gyeong has accepted long time ago that his son is a grown up man and he trusts his son would be able to take care of himself. So when he did not come home last night, Hwan Gyeong decided that as long as he knows where his son was, it’s okay. “As long as you're safe, that's all what matter to me. But next time don't fall asleep at someone's house, even if it's Myeong. You don’t want to be imposing someone’s family”. Yao Wang finally looks at his father, surprised at his response. Yao Wang smiles sheepishly before apologising one last time.

“Right, there's an order from the palace. Next week is the King Lee Hwan’s birthday celebration. We are supposed to make 15 vases, and the Crown Prince Lee Sun has personally requested for your drawing like you drew last time. He seems to be really fond of it. Oh and also, we need more clay”. Hwan Gyeong hands out a grocery list and a sum pocket money to Yao Wang. “Go to this place. Just pass this list to the merchant this note. He should know what to prepare. And money is for the clay”. Yao Wang nods in understanding and takes his leave to run the errands.

*****************************************************************

Walking down a busy street in Jongno town with a secret mission on their own, two handsome noble men catch the attention by many women. Not even having the slightest care towards the attention they’re receiving, the Crown Prince stops and looks around. Too many people, too many big stores. Prince Lee Sun gives out a long sigh. “Woon, what are other places near here that we can check out?”. Woon replies, “There is a street right over there where villagers always go”. Prince Lee Sun instructs Woon to lead the way, hoping to get away from the crowded place as soon as possible.

Arriving at the said street, Prince Lee Sun notices there are more traders setting their stalls on the street and the number of nobles seems to decrease immensely as compared to the previous place. Prince Lee Sun rarely goes to places like this so he is taking his curiosity out for a walk today. Everything seem new to him and he takes great pleasure in knowing the well-being of his people everywhere.

He lets out a smile as his eyes wander around, taking in people’s activities and interactions surrounding him. Though these people are not nobles, they seem happy with their life and that is all that matters to him. Men, women and children are walking around minding their own business, failing to notice the Prince is among them today. One particular stall catches his eyes, as the stall seems to be selling various art materials for drawings. He approaches the stall, wanting to get a closer look, and that is when he realises something is wrong with the scene in front of him.

As a prince, he has been receiving trainings and learning combat skills taught in secret since he was very little. It is to make sure that he is able to defend himself on his own. So when he sees a man leaning over the stall to look at the products, he also notices other men nearby scheming ill intentions towards the lone man. He watches as these men send coded signal to each other, probably instructions while keeping their target locked in their eyes. They’re planning to kidnap him, the Prince deducesWoon also notices this, of course. He should be ten times sharper than the Prince. The Crown Prince whispers instructions into his ears, and he departs swiftly, calling other hidden guards who have been following them since the beginning.

****************************************************************

Yao Wang is currently taking a walk through Jongno street, trying to clear his mind. He keeps thinking of this morning event, and hopes that his lover and his best friend did not end up fighting and someone dies somewhere. Okay maybe not dead, but close. He lets out a long sigh. I should've tell him the whole truth that time. Feeling guilty, he decides to pay Myeong a visit straight after he finishes his tasks to apologise. After all, Myeong is his best friend. He should’ve been the first one to know and he would forgive him. Passing his favourite art stall, he stops to check if they already have new items on display since his stocks are running low anyways. While he is browsing, he feels someone is rummaging through his bag, so he turns swiftly to catch the man in action. However, he is a little bit too late as now the thief is already holding onto his purse, taken from Yao Wang’s bag. Realised at being caught red-handed, the thief immediately makes a run from Yao Wang, but the smaller man refuses to back down that easily. He chases after the man.

Running after a man who is at least a head taller than him, Yao Wang runs surprisingly fast for a man at his height. He manages to keep the thief in his sight, chasing him through every turns and corners around the streets. The thief makes a mistake by turning into a dead corner, trapped now by Yao Wang with nowhere to run. Puffing his breath, Yao Wang bravely confronts the lowly thief.

“Alright, give me my purse right now, and I will not report to the guards (justice department; police)”. Yao Wang extends his right hand expectantly, hoping for the thief to cooperate now that he is caught. There is a chance of him winning in this situation, seeing that it’s one on one. Yao Wang might be soft like a cat, but he still has claws. He would be damned if he were to walk away without a fight. Though things turn dark for him instantly. “How about you leave? It’s shame to ruin your pretty face”, a voice comes behind him. Yao Wang instantly turns to see a bunch of burly men with dirty, ragged clothings. Street thugs! Yao Wang, this is out of your league. Yao Wang gulps, wishing his beloved Yeming was here to save him.

Seizing Yao Wang’s appearance from the top to bottom, the biggest man out of all lets out a sneer, showing his yellowing rotten teeth. “It is a pity to let you go though. A pretty little thing like you, we can sell to black market. For organs or as e. I’m sure we’ll get a lot of money”. The rest of the men laugh, probably finding the idea so wonderful. “Or maybe, we can have some fun with you first. Pretty like a woman, surely your hole will feel as good”. This earns him a cheer from his henchmen, lusty grins directed towards the smaller man. Obviously outnumbered, shaken Yao Wang knows his chances to escape is very low. He slowly backs away from the approaching men, like a group of tiger intimidating a scared rabbit. Yao Wang tries to call for help anyways, hoping someone will hear his desperate cries. Though deep down he knows no one will come to help, unless they too have their own death wishes. “Help! Someone please!”, he desperately cries now. The ragged men laugh at his futile attempt and move forwards steadily towards him. Yao Wang keeps backing away from the approaching men, he forgets that there’s another one behind him initially until he directly walks into that man’s ready arms.

“Let go of me! No! Please! Somebody! Help!”. The man laughs in his ears, stink breaths reach his nose. He is too strong for Yao Wang to fight, despite his earnest struggle to break free. Yao Wang closes his eyes, waiting for the worst to come. Please… Somebody save me.

***************************************************************

When Yao Wang sees two men fast approaching, ready to grab him, he closes his eyes. But nothing comes. Instead, two crunching sounds can be heard simultaneously, closely followed by cries of pain. The arms caging him become loose immediately, freeing Yao Wang from being captive. Yao Wang opens his eyes, taking in the scene happening in front of him. What he is seeing is the thugs are currently standing frozen with swords pointed directly towards their neck, held by a mysterious man, while the two others are down on the ground, their arms look painfully broken and twisted out of place. The thief behind Yao Wang lets out a very unmanly scream, drops the stolen purse before scrambling away trying to save his pitiful life. “Unworthy cowards”, Crown Prince Lee Sun spits in disgust, looking at the crying, whimpering men on the ground. Soon they are joined by a group of guards, who take away the remaining thugs for arrest.

The God must have heard his prayers. Yao Wang stands frozen as he looks at these mysterious men in front of him. There are two new incomers - his saviours. One man looks like a noble man, while the other look like a guard. Then a group of men come to take away those vile men. Serves them right. The man giving orders, probably the master or something, approaches him with a smile on his face. He bends down to pick up Yao Wang’s fallen purse and hands it out to the fairer man for him to take. Instantly broken out of his reverie, Yao Wang finally remembers his manners and he bows to say thank you to his kind saviour. “Carrying that much money, you should be more careful. Where are you heading?”.

Yao Wang looks up to meet his saviour’s gaze and the prince finally is able to look at the man closely. Such a beautiful face, he admits internally.

“Actually, I’m..-Uh…”. Yao Wang is stuttering out his answers, finding it hard to find his voice after such traumatic event happened to him. Even his face looks still quite pale and his body is shivering, adrenaline still running strong in him. Woon approaches the two men, and points at Yao Wang’s uniform for his master to look. Prince Lee Sun notices what the smaller man is wearing - pottery uniform clothings. He nods in understanding. “I see you’re wearing a potter’s uniform. What is your name? I’m Lee Sun and this is my subordinate, Woon”.

“My name… It’s Lee Yao Wang”. He looks up at the taller man. Finding his voice again, Yao Wang cannot help his curiosity. “Your name is similar to the Crown Prince, my Lord. What a coincidence…”. Immediately he feels embarrassed at what he just said, worried he might upset his saviour. He scolds himself internally. You silly man! That’s all you can say after he saved you?. 

Prince Lee Sun chuckles lightly at his response. Even Woon smiles a little bit. “You're right. People told me that too before. What a fate”. The Crown Prince realises something about the smaller man’s name. “Could it be… Are you, in any way, related to a famous potter Lee Hwan Gyeong?”. Yao Wang’s face lights up, and nods excitedly. He looks really adorable when he smiles, Prince Lee Sun thoughts, looking at the man in front of him. “I’m actually his son!”, he confirms with a beautiful smile. Relief washes over the prince immediately. What a fate. Finally I meet you. Prince Lee Sun smiles at this. “So, you're the one who does all the drawings?”. Unsure by Lee Sun’s response, Yao Wang’s face painted a puzzled expressions. Realising his mistake, the Prince amends his statement, hoping Yao Wang does not notice anything. “I mean, you're quite famous. Such a talent in drawing”. Yao Wang blushes at such a high praise, especially coming from a noble. They have small talk for a while, before Yao Wang excuses himself as he is late to meet his father. Yao Wang thanks his saviours for the last time and they bid each other goodbyes, saying that they need to meet up again soon.