Chanyeol's Birthday

Vaguely Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time flew so fast, it was already the 24th day of November. Nothing huge happened in the life of Seungwan and Chanyeol, except a new Kia Optima Hybrid parked outside the building. Well, Chanyeol decided to buy a car for their convenience, so they didn’t have to jostle their lives in crowded trains no more.

That morning, Chanyeol drove her to work. One thing they had to take note about traveling with car was the time they left home. If they usually departed at 7 am by train, the couple had to wake up earlier to be ready at 6.30 to avoid traffic jams.

“Did you see the weather forecast for today?” Chanyeol asked when they were inside the car, on the way to Seungwan’s workplace.

“I didn’t pay attention to the TV earlier” she responded. “What does it say?”

“It says that the first snow will fall tonight” he kept his eyes on the road while talking. Seungwan’s mouth formed an ‘O’ shape.

“Really? Ahh, we haven’t bought new coats” she smiled. “Do you want a new coat? Or should we just wear the last year’s?”

“If they’re still wearable, why buy new ones? We’re not five year olds, Wen” he said.

Seungwan turned her head to face him. “Are you saying that I act like a five year old because I want to buy a new coat?”

“No, baby, no” he quickly regretted his sentence. “I mean we don’t really have to buy new coats if we still have the old ones, right? We can buy something else, like… like… thermal underwear”

She pressed her lips into a tight line. “Yeah… You’re right”

“If you really want a new one, we can get it later” he added. “I’ll pick you up and we’ll go coat shopping. How’s that sound?”

“What about tomorrow?” she offered. “I want to see the first snow with you. Let’s just directly go home after work”

He grinned. “Alright then”

“I’ll cook rice porridge later” Seungwan jutted her lower lip out. “We can watch the first snow while eating”

“Sounds really good to me” Chanyeol was holding his laugh in to see his enthusiastic- but- prideful girlfriend. She actually seemed so interested with the first snow but pretended to be cool about it. How did he know? She was smiling on the rest of their trip to her office.

 

Chanyeol stared at the empty bowl in front of him, not wanting to look into Seungwan’s eyes. She was frowning, the snow she waited hasn’t come yet. It was almost midnight and the porridge she cooked was already in their bellies.

“Let’s get back inside, Wen” he spoke. They were on the rooftop of their apartment building; Seungwan said that they also waited for the first snow at the same place the year before.

She forcefully shook her head. “It will come soon, Yeol. Just wait and see”

It wasn’t that Chanyeol didn’t want to see the first snow with her. He was very sleepy, and all he did was straining himself from yawning too loudly. The temperature was also really cold he had to hug himself.

“Last year you brought your guitar here” she suddenly informed. “We waited for the snow while singing our favorite songs”

Chanyeol blinked. “Should I take it now?”

“No, stay here” she took a hold of his big hand. He then noticed that her fingers were way colder than his. “I’m sure the snow will come soon”

“You’re so cold, Wen” he stated. “Let’s just go inside. The snow will be there tomorrow, you don’t have to wait for it. Come on”

“No, Yeol” she whined. “You promised that we would watch the first snow every year together until we die! You promised!”

“I did?”

“You did last year” she looked down, realizing that Chanyeol didn’t remember anything about the promise. Sighing, she leant her head against his arm. His shoulder was too high for her to reach.

Of course, Chanyeol had added another reason to hate himself right then. Of not remembering everything. “I’m sorry, Wen. Let’s just wait”

He reached out for her furthest shoulder, warmly embracing her tiny figure. She was so cold— honestly he didn’t feel any warmer than her either— so he closed the gap between their bodies, hoping her temperature would rise a little.

“Yeol” Seungwan called out.

“Hm?”

“Sing for me, please”

“You’re the one with the nice voice, Wen” he had frequently heard her singing in the bathroom. She would sometimes use her whistle register and surprise him. How could she work in as an auditor and not a vocal teacher?

“But I want you to sing. Please” she begged.

“Okay…” he clucked his tongue. “What song do you want?”

She puckered her lips while thinking, not knowing that Chanyeol was resisting the urge to peck those lips that instant. “Oh! Ed Sheeran’s Perfect would be nice. I listen to that song nowadays”

“I’ll look for the lyrics” he fished his phone out of his pocket and searched for the lyrics in his internet browser. Seungwan waited for a moment before he voiced an E as his do.

“Cause we were just kids when we—“

“Sing it from the beginning” she cut him. “I want to hear it from the beginning”

He exhaled. “Okay, whatever you want, princess”

Seungwan shyly smiled.

“I… I… I…” he checked his own tone before started singing.

 

“I found a love for me

Darling just dive right in and follow my lead

Well I found a girl, beautiful and sweet

I never knew you were the someone waiting for me”

 

He tightened his hold against her. That verse was fully dedicated for this woman beside him, even though he didn’t deliver it too well due to his broken English.

 

“Cause we were still kids when we fell in love

Not knowing what it was

I will not give you up this time”

 

He released her and gently pinched her chin with his fingers. Approaching his face with hers, he captured her lips in a soft kiss. Then he sang against .

 

“But darling just kiss me slow

Your heart is all I own”

 

Pulling away, he distanced himself from her. She giggled at his improvisation.

 

“And in your eyes you’re holding mine

Baby, I’m—“

 

He was startled when Seungwan stood up and took his hand. “Continue, Yeol” she demanded when she succeeded to pull him up to stand facing her.

 

“Baby, I’m dancing in the dark”

 

She twirled on her feet, dancing to the rhythm of his singing. Chanyeol chortled but didn’t let go of her hand. They continued to awkwardly dance while chuckling.

 

“With you between my arms

Barefoot on the grass

Listening to our favorite song

When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath

But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight”

 

They ended the performance with a hug. His hands around her and hers around his waist. Burying her face deep into his chest, Seungwan whispere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter