Jung Seungwan

Vaguely Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Saturday.

Seungwan was lying on her stomach beside Chanyeol who was in the same position on the wooden floor. In front of them were photo albums, varying in size and thickness. They shared a blanket under their bodies, for the air temperature was chilling enough, let alone the floor’s.

“Look how chubby your cheeks are in this photo” Chanyeol pointed at a photo of Seungwan and himself, hand in hand. He was wearing a black tuxedo in that photo, along with matching oxford shoes. Seungwan herself looked stunning with a red, sleeveless A- line dress. “It’s like we’re on a red carpet event”

"It was taken at Irene unnie’s wedding reception” she explained. “5 days before your car crash"

“You precisely remember it?”

“Your accident is on March 20th, Irene unnie’s wedding reception is on 15th. And about those chubby cheeks, I heard you, okay”

He stuck his tongue at her, which earned an index finger poking against his cheek from her. He giggled before going back observing the page in front of him. He had to admit that Seungwan was photogenic, even a picture of her sneezing would look good. Or it was just that he liked her too much.

“How about this one? When was this taken?” he pointed at a photo which seemed to be candid, of him carrying Seungwan bridal style. Both of them were laughing widely, Seungwan even closed her eyes. Her legs were blurry in the picture, showing that she moved them too much when the shot was taken. The lighting seemed dim, with a background of wooden shelves filled with fancy clay dishes and vases as decorations.

“It was on our first anniversary, when you asked me to move in with you. That was a sudden shot, though. This is the actual picture supposed to be taken” she pointed at the photo just below the photo they talked about. Their pose was the same, except Seungwan’s legs weren’t blurry and they were smiling more formally than the previous picture. “You took me to Mingles for an expensive dinner and proposed me there to live together”

“Mingles? Gangnam- gu?” Chanyeol had lived long enough in Seoul to know about the exorbitant restaurants— well, not actually, he knew them from Sehun’s ranting about his girlfriend Jennie who wouldn’t stop persuading him to take her on a high- priced dining— and Mingles was one of them.

“Yes” she nodded.

“I like this one better, though” he pointed at the first picture. “We seemed happier there. And it’s a candid shot, too”

Seungwan was silent, but Chanyeol knew she agreed with him.

He flipped the page to the next one, exposing another round of photos. Most of them were of Seungwan and him, but there was one that was different.

It was a photo of 4 people, and Seungwan was one of them. There was also a pair of older woman and man. And the last person standing in that photo made him blinked twice. Thrice.

It was Soojung. Jung Soojung.

The picture was like a family picture, the older man and woman being Seungwan and Soojung’s parents. Nothing was out of place, except the fact that the ladies solely hated each other’s guts. He furrowed his eyebrows.

“Wen”

Seungwan, who was checking out another book, twisted her head towards him. “Yeah?”

“Isn’t this Soojung?”

Seungwan froze at the name, but looked at the picture anyway. Her breath hitched in as she mentally slapped herself for not getting rid of that photo sooner. Through gritted teeth, she managed to hum a response. She sighed at Chanyeol’s demanding stare towards her, thus beginning her story.

“I was adopted by the Jungs when I was 5” she paused, giving him time to process her words. “Soojung’s mother had her uterus removed due to a cervical infection which made her unable to give Soojung another younger sibling. Soojung wanted one so they picked me, therefore making me a Jung. Jung Seungwan”

She closed her eyes.

“We grew up together, we did everything together. Soojung’s parents treated us equally, if they scolded her then they scolded me the same. If they praised her then they praised me too. They’ve been good parents to both of us. That photo was one of our family portraits, and was the one I took down from the wall outside. Remember when you asked about the empty space on the wall?”

She opened them again to see Chanyeol nodding to her question.

“Both of them died in a car crash when Soojung and I were 18. That was the worst year for both of us. Soojung’s unknown relatives came to our house everyday, thinking that Soojung was still underaged to be the heir of her parents’ inheritance. They were wrong, though”

Heaving a loud exhale, she continued.

“However, because I was a Jung too, and was listed in the household register, I got half of the inheritance” she lowered her head. “But I don’t want it. I thought Soojung needs it more. I could still go back to the orphanage, but Soojung? She has no one else in this world. She was left alone. So I…” she trailed off, preparing herself to talk. “So I changed my last name back to Son so I had no rights in taking any of the money. My name was deleted from the family register, too”

Chanyeol bit his lower lip. Why are you always caring about other people more than you care about yourself, Seungwan? he thought.

“At first, Soojung objected to my decision, but thankfully she eventually gave in. All of the inheritance money, our parents’ house, and other properties were finally Soojung’s. Then I went back to the orphanage to borrow some cash for my living. Luckily they agreed to lend me some money, which then I use to rent a small apartment” she smiled at the memory. “I got a job not long after, thanks to the orphanage owner. She had links with the company I’m currently working in, and she signed me up for an auditor position there. With the money I could pay my debts to her and even apply to a college”

She rested her chin on her palms, signaling that she was done talking.

“But how did you end up saying that Soojung’s a liar?” he didn’t find anything bad enough about Soojung in her story that would be the cause of their damaged relationship.

She shook her head. “That’s a whole different story, Yeol… And I don’t want to talk about it”

He noticed the slight sadness in her eyes and turned over so that he lied on his bac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter