The loss

Vaguely Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The beeping sound in the silent room quickened as the man’s breath turned heavy. His fingers twitched in the most violent ways possible, waking up the woman holding them. A second passed before she realized what happened. Pressing the nurse bell in a rushed manner, she tightly held the man’s hand in hers.

The nurse came into the room in no time. She brought a doctor with her, maybe due to the woman’s repeated call earlier. The man’s oxygen mask was thickly clouded already.

“What happened? What’s going on?” a teardrop slipped out from the woman’s left eye. “Why is he—“

“Please keep calm, miss” the doctor suggested while adjusting the IV bottle above him. He checked the heart rate monitor for any progress.

The woman froze when the male’s eyes slowly opened. A whimper escaped his lips.

“Chanyeol!”

 

“Post- traumatic amnesia?”

“Yes, miss. Due to Mr. Park’s heavy head injury, he will not be able to recall some of his memories” the doctor said in a low tone. The woman’s shoulders in front of him slumped.

“What about me? He will remember me, right?”

“We’re not sure about that” another remark from the doctor sent air further from her lungs.

“Will he recover? I—I mean, will he heal? His memories? Will they—“

“We’re not sure about that either”

Her face went to its palest shade. No, it couldn’t be. Amnesia what? Chanyeol? This must be a joke.

“I’m really sorry to tell you this, Miss Son. Mr. Park is completely conscious and you can come inside” the doctor gestured her the room behind them, which she nodded at. He then went away.

Seungwan’s eyes were glassy with tears. She didn’t want to admit it, but she had a bad feeling about Chanyeol’s amnesia. About Chanyeol’s memories of her. Of them.

Shaking her head in denial, she cupped her cheeks with her palms and wiped her tears away with her fingers. No, it couldn’t be. Chanyeol wouldn’t ever forget about me, she thought as her feet made the way to the room she made a fuss in earlier.

Taking a deep breath, she opened the door and walked inside.

Chanyeol was lying on his bed, oxygen mask were nowhere to be seen on his face. His hips downwards were covered in a thin white blanket. He noticed her entrance and slowly smiled at his visitor. Seungwan almost smiled back before a question escaped his lips.

“Excuse me, who are you?”

Those words from him were enough to crush Seungwan’s heart into pieces, if not worse. She could feel her stomach churning as if she was about to pass out, but at the same time, puke. Even the sight of Chanyeol smiling at her didn’t calm her rushing blood flow. Tears immediately formed in her eyes. She blinked a few times to get rid of them but ended up embarrassing herself as some drops rolled down her cheeks.

“Sorry—“

“Hey, why are you crying?” Chanyeol sounded worried. He tried to reach out for her, which she responded by stepping closer to him. She stood beside his bed, still tearing up with her head hung low.

“I’m Son Seungwan…”

“Oh, hi Seungwan! I’m Park Chanyeol” he replied joyfully, to her annoyance. She was extremely in rage that she didn’t realize her palm spontaneously swung to his cheek, giving a rather hard slap against it.

And with that, she ran away from that room.

 

“Seungwan-ya”

She lifelessly looked up to meet Chanyeol’s mother’s gaze. The latter sadly smiled, then took a seat beside her. Chanyeol’s mother placed her hand on top of hers in the most comforting way, but the younger female didn’t even realize it.

“I’m sorry, dear”

“It’s okay, mother” Seungwan didn’t seem okay at all.

“I think you can explain to him whatever he’s been missing. I think that will recover his memory”

Seungwan was silent. She wasn’t really in the mood of explaining anything to anyone. Especially to the one who has clearly broke her goddamn heart.

She has repeatedly told herself that Chanyeol didn’t mean to do it, he wouldn’t even if he could. Hell, she knew him too well. Chanyeol wouldn’t even hurt a single ant, let alone his girlfriend for 2 freaking years. No, no. He didn’t do it on purpose. But still, it hurt. It hurt her seeing him so clueless. The fact that he didn’t even remember her name hurt her severely.

“Seungwan…” Chanyeol’s mother grabbed Seungwan’s hand. “I don’t want to see you like this”

If Seungwan could say any word, she would say that Chanyeol was a real replica of his mother. Every choice of words, every tone of voice, every expression of face… he resembled his mother so much. Seungwan recalled how the male would always say the same thing when she got sad or annoyed.

“Mother” Seungwan cal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter