Home

Vaguely Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol’s eyes snapped open. He sat up and realized that he sweated buckets. Seungwan peacefully slept by the side of his bed, not disturbed by his movements. He climbed down from his bed and limped towards the window. It was his fifth week after his awakening and the doctors said that he was finally strong enough to be released from the hospital. In fact, it was his last night there.

Wiping the sweat on his forehead, he recalled the dream he just had. He was in the same sunflower field, under the same blue sky, with the same blowing wind. But this time, it was different.

There was a girl in front of him.

He couldn’t see her face, but she was clearly smiling. And he didn’t recognize that smile. If it was Wendy’s, he would’ve known it right away. But he didn’t.

Who is that girl? He sighed.

 

“Wendy…” Chanyeol called out. Seungwan, who was packing Chanyeol’s clothes into some bags, turned her head to him.

“Yeah?”

“You know…” he fiddled with his fingers. “Mmm… Do I somehow have any female acquaintances?”

Seungwan’s eyebrows furrowed. “Uh… yes. You have lots of them… I think. Why are you asking?”

“Nothing” he shook his head. Seungwan eyed him for a while before going back to the clothes.

The door opened, attracting Chanyeol’s attention. A lean figure stepped in. “Is everything ready?” It was Jongin. Seeing Seungwan busy, he approached her. “Let me help you”

Chanyeol stared at Seungwan who shifted a little so Jongin could sit beside her. They then occupied themselves with their business. He was slightly unhappy, maybe because they didn’t talk to him. So he took his phone and played with it.

His eyes were on his phone, but his thoughts were somewhere else. The girl in his dream reappeared in his mind with her mysterious smile. Who? Who could that be?

He had been searching for images of sunflower field on the internet, but none of them fit the one in his dreams. The one with blue sky above it. The one which felt familiar with.

He groaned.

“What’s up, dude?” Apparently he groaned a little too loud that Jongin responded to it. He gazed at his direction and didn’t found Seungwan.

“Where’s Wendy?”

“Taking care of your documents and hospital bills” Jongin said.

Chanyeol brought his phone in front of his face again but halted halfway. “Uh… Jongin?”

“Yes” the other man inserted the last shirt into a bag and zipped it shut. He then brought his chair to sit beside Chanyeol’s bed.

“Do I have any female friend?”

Jongin weirdly gawked at him. “What’s with the odd question?”

He scratched the back of his neck. “I… I have this weird dream of a girl who is clearly not Wendy. I can’t see her face, but I can see her smile. And if that was Wendy, I would’ve recognized her”

“A girl?” Jongin lifted one of his eyebrows.

“Yes. Do I have any female friend? Maybe it’s one of my female friends” he replied.

“Of course you have female friends… But I know none of them” Jongin shrugged. “Are you sure it’s not Seungwan?”

“I’m sure… Oh, Jongin, don’t tell Wendy about this, okay?”

“Huh? Why?” Jongin crossed his arms in front of his chest. “Why are you keeping secrets from her?”

Chanyeol was a little surprised by how his friend reacted. He sounded mad. “I mean… I will tell her in time. Not now” No way. He didn’t want to upset Seungwan even more. He didn’t want to see her tears again. He wouldn’t ever tell her. Ever.

Their conversation came to a stop when Seungwan entered the room. She glanced at the bags on the floor, then to the men. “Have you packed all?” she directed the question to Jongin.

“Yes” Jongin stood up.

“Let’s go, then. Jongin, could you carry the bags to the car?” Seungwan requested.

“Car? Whose car?” Chanyeol blurted out. He remembered Seungwan telling him that he crashed their car in the accident that sent him into his coma, so it couldn’t be the same car. Seungwan also usually goes to work by bus since she didn’t drive.

“Mine” Jongin lifted the bags. “Let’s go”

Seungwan helped Chanyeol to stand on his own feet. “Are you okay? Don’t you want to use the wheelchair?”

“No, I’m fine. Just hold me” he slung an arm around Seungwan’s shoulders, which weren’t actually helping at all due to their huge height difference. Not that Chanyeol minded, though. He could’ve walked by himself if he wanted to, but he knew Seungwan would love to help him. And all he wanted was for Seungwan to be happy.

The three of them walked to the elevator that brought them to the ground floor. Then they continued to Jongin’s parked car. Chanyeol realized how tall he was compared to the people around him. He thought it was Seungwan who was too short, but apparently he was the one who was too tall.

“Watch your head” Seungwan warned when she helped Chanyeol to get into the back seat of the car. He sat himself down and shifted to the side so Seungwan could sit too. To his surprise, Seungwan closed the door. He watched blankly as she opened the door to the passenger seat and got in. Jongin, who was done putting the bags into the car’s trunk, entered and started the car.

Chanyeol was silent during the whole trip to their apartment.

 

“Welcome to our apartment!” Seungwan exclaimed when they arrived. Chanyeol looked around. They were in the living room, which was not too large but neatly furnished. A brown velvet couch lay on the wooden floor with a long coffee table in front of it. There was also a TV. On the corner of his eyes, he could see the kitchen and dining table.

Pictures were hung on the wall. While Seungwan and Jongin busied themselves with the luggages, Chanyeol walked around to observe the pictures. Chanyeol and Seungwan’s faces decorated almost all of them. There were his mother’s and Jongin’s too. And some people he didn’t know. Maybe his workmates, since the background of the photo seemed to be a dance studio.

Then his eyes reached a blank spot on the wall which has a nail stuck on it. It seemed like that space was occupied before, but someone took the picture down. “Wendy” he called.

“Yes?” Seungwan came to stand beside him. She felt a slight tinge of giddiness inside her to know that Chanyeol was looking at their pictures.

“Why is th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter