S42

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jungmin gave Moonhee a side glance and went ahead with his business, prepping stuff for his angels.

Her lips were pale as she panted like she was running out of oxygen. Her right leg was completely immobile and blood was dripping from her ankles.

“You really surprised me,” Jungmin mused.

“How so?” She whispered. “That I hung on so long with your psychotic antics?”

He tapped his chin in thought and shrugged.

“That and the fact that you managed to get me talking. No one’s ever done that before. Not even my psychiatrist. She always gave me the wrong diagnosis.”

“Oh? I’m open to taking over that role,” she shifted her injured leg a little to make herself more comfortable. “I charge $200 per hour though.”

He grabbed a fistful of her hair and shoved her, making her fall to her left. She held her breath as pain struck her.

“I’m guessing she said you were just hallucinating from the childhood trauma and developed anger issues.”

“I do not have anger issues.”

He kicked her once and everything fell silent once again. Moonhee could feel herself getting sleepy. She wanted to stay awake.

“You know,” she panted tiredly. “I imagine one of the reasons people like you cling to hate so stubbornly, is because you sense that once the hate is gone, you will be forced to deal with the pain.”

“Pain? What pain?”

She chuckled breathily, head rolling to the side to glance at him.

“Your hatred towards your mother is masking your pain of being mistreated and abused when you were a kid. You couldn’t go against your mother while she was alive, so you target girls with similar characteristics so that you could kill her over and over again in your mind.”

“You really think you know me, don’t you?”

“I may not know much, but I know for sure is that you lack the balls to take revenge on your mother. You were scared of her. You didn't have the guts to lash out at the old woman.”

Jungmin smirked, shaking his head and went to her. He reached for the knife still in her leg and pulled it out slowly. She grunted as pain and relief washed over her.

“But I am sure of one thing.”

She chuckled and side-eyed him tiredly.

“You definitely have anger issues.”

 

---

 

Yael and Jinyoung arrived back at the precinct, skipping on the rest of their lessons. Jaebum was still searching for Moonhee and the slightest information on where she might be.

“Hyung! I think Yael might have an idea of where Moonhee could be!”

JB rushed over quickly. Yael threw her back onto the table and her stuff fell out, her phone falling onto the ground. Jinyoung picked it up as she explained her theory to Jaebum.

“An explorer can revisit the same places again and again and always find something new and wonderful,” she repeated the phrase that was written on the board. “Don’t you guys get it?”

“Get what?” JB asked. “Just spill it already!”

“Moonhee never goes to new places. Places that she’s unfamiliar with freaks her out. For her to not contact me for so long, could only mean two things. Either she’s already dead, or she knows the place and is trying to find her way out.”

“So?”

“When she was younger, her brother would bring her to their safehouse. A place no one knew except them. She hides there whenever that maniac comes over to her place. Same places? That safe house! That’s what her brother referred to in the photo.”

“I was thinking, if this psycho had been keeping tabs on Moonhee, he would definitely bring her to a place she knew best. He would want to get her guard down.”

“Where is this safe house?” Jaebum grabbed the nearby computer and got ready to type.

“I don’t know… I just--”

“You don’t know and you’re telling me that like you do?”

Jinyoung felt the tension. He was going to step up to say something when Yael’s phone lit up. He glanced at the screen and saw a message from her phone company.

“Ya, guys,” he waved the phone at them. “So, let’s say if Moonhee managed to get out, do you think she’ll try to contact us?”

Yael nodded, “That’s an agreement between the both of us. We have to contact each other all the time. Even by voicemail.”

“Did she mention a payphone anywhere near her safehouse?”

Yael glanced at JB, they both then gave Jinyoung a look.

“Why?” She asked.

“Because you just received a message saying you have a voicemail from a payphone.”

 

Yael pressed play on her list of options and an automated voice sounded.

Voicemail number 3. Playing.

“. Moon Yael. When will you ever answer your phone?”

The trio straightened their backs when Moonhee’s voice resonated through the phone’s speaker. Her chuckle struck them in their chests, she sounded so tired it was painful to hear.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter