S34

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jinyoung chased after Yael. The girl broke into a sprint straight after she got off the car at the hospital. Jaebum had notified them about the stabbing. Moonhee was in treatment, thankfully, her wound didn’t seem too deep.

The couple ran towards the OR, Jaebum was sitting outside with his head in his palms. Yael grabbed him with tears in her eyes.

“What happened? I trusted you to take care of her but you let her get stabbed?”

JB was in a daze. He had nothing to rebut because it was his fault. He could have stopped her from getting hurt, but he let his feelings get ahead of him. Moonhee was about to trust him with her story, but he had to screw up by letting her get hurt.

The OR lights went off and the doctor came out. The trio leaped up and headed to the doctor.

“How’s she?”

“The wound isn’t deep, it was an inch deep so it didn’t puncture her organs. We stitched her up.” The doctor scanned his clipboard. “She’s a strong person.”

Yael felt her knees weaken at the words. Jinyoung quickly caught her and righted her. “When can I see her?”

“She should be awake in half an hour.”

 

---

 

Yael was in the ward, waiting for Moonhee to wake up. Jinyoung and Jaebum were in the cafeteria, getting some food for them. The latter seemed so out of it that it was foreign to Jinyoung.

“Yo, hyung. You alright?”

“Eo,” he lifted his head to give his partner an assuring smile. “I’m good.”

“What happened?”

He sighed, “Moonhee asked me to go with her. It was her father’s wedding. We met Minwoo there and I managed to give him a few good hits. He escaped, I wanted to chase after him but Moonhee stopped me. I proposed for her to leave and we did, she--”

JB paused, he could feel his throat closing up.

“She was about to tell me why she hated men. She was going to trust me with her stories.” He looked at Jinyoung. “But I screwed it up. I let her get hurt, before my eyes.”

“You couldn’t have known that the guy would stab her.”

“I told the security to chase after the man while I sent her to the hospital. I wonder if they caught him.”

Jinyoung’s phone started ringing. “Hello?”

“Jinyoung-ah, this is Jackson. A guy was sent to our precinct just now, the men who brought him in said he was involved in a stabbing incident?”

He quickly tapped Jaebum.

“That’s great. But why did you call me instead of Jaebum-hyung?”

“We couldn’t reach his phone.”

Jinyoung glanced at JB, who had slipped back into his thoughts.

“Well, something happened.” He said vaguely. “Anything else the matter?”

“He kept screaming that someone sent him to ‘knife the girl, it wasn’t my fault’. What’s going on? Should I get officers to check out the hospitals to look for a hurt girl?”

Jinyoung in a breath at the revelation.

“No. We know who the hurt girl is.”

He hung up and tapped Jaebum on his shoulder, “The man who stabbed Moonhee had been brought to our precinct. He said someone sent him to hurt Moonhee. Any idea who?”

JB straightened his back and stopped walking, “Let’s head back to the ward. We have to ask her.” He then started jogging towards the lifts.

“Now?” Jinyoung was baffled but he still ran after him.

 

---

 

Yael sat next to Moonhee’s bed as the girl slept on. The latter started moving and opened her eyes. Yael sprang up and leaned over her friend to help her sit up.

“What are you doing here?” Moonhee asked breathily.

“Why didn’t you tell me about the wedding?” Yael sounded disappointed. “I thought--”

“Sorry, El. I didn’t think I should introduce you to my father,” Moonhee patted her friend’s hand. “What if you become my step-mother instead of that Doyeon girl? You’re rich too, probably my father’s taste.”

Yael laughed, “Seriously? Do you think he would want a girl with a body painted with scars?”

“Well, someone will love you for all you are,” Moonhee spread her arms.

The pair shared a hug. Yael whispered, “I’m just glad I have you.”

She broke the hug and sat down.

“Why did that person hurt you? Did you see his face?”

Moonhee shook her head, “I can’t think of anyone. Besides, I’ve stopped conning men. I don’t think anyone will be coming after me.”

Something struck Yael, “Moon. Do you think this has anything to do with those letters?”

“Yael. You promised me not to speak anything about them.” She then played with her hands.

“It isn’t the first time something like this has happened to you!” Yael started getting worked up. “First, it was the seven sins killer, then the drug case in school. Then the letters you have been receiving? All of these--”

Moonhee heard footsteps coming towards her ward.

“God! Moon Yael, I’ve told you so many times tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter