Chapter 6- Explanations and Free Stuff

All of the While, I Never Knew (It was You)

Jimin fretted to himself, anxiously wiping down every surface in the café while he waited for Jin to show up. He wasn’t sure how angry his hyung really was—he wasn’t the best at gauging people’s emotions over the phone. All he knows is Jin was not very happy.

 

And neither was Namjoon, or Yoongi, by what Hoseok had told him last night.

 

“Jimin, I hate to say it, but I think you really screwed up this time,” Hoseok told Jimin, exhaustion clear in his voice.

 

“Hyung, I just…I just wanted to help! I didn’t think Jin would actually tell Namjoon about his mix-up!”

 

“Well, now what? Namjoon’s upset, Yoongi’s pissed, and to be honest, I’m tired of being the only sane one in this friendship. I don’t know how much more fixing I can do!”

 

“Just…you said you guys are coming to the café tomorrow, right? Okay, I’ll just, I’ll apologize and explain how this is all my fault. I need to…I need to call Jin-hyung again anyway, he hasn’t been answering. Ugh, everyone’s mad at me. I shouldn’t have even done anything,” Jimin said, close to tears.

 

“Hey, don’t get upset. We can work everything out tomorrow—It was all just a misunderstanding. Besides, Namjoon really likes Jin, and he said their date went really well! And that Jin said he had a good time! So…maybe this is all salvageable,” Hoseok said cheerfully.

 

“If you say so, Hyung. I really hope you’re right.”

****

Jin sighed as he walked into the café, really not looking forward to being at work today.

 

Namjoon had texted him last night, very shortly, saying that he was coming today with Yoongi and Hoseok to talk. That’s it. And he didn’t text back when Jin replied.

 

He felt himself almost wanting to cry again as he thought about it—he couldn’t help it. He just still felt so bad for what he said, and he really liked Namjoon, and everything was a mess, and it was all—

 

‘Jimin’s fault,’ Jin thought, eyes squinting as he looked to see Jimin meticulously cleaning the front counter.

 

He bit his lip, controlling the flare of annoyance that had just burst through him. He knew realistically this was a little bit of everyone’s fault, but he still wanted to get Jimin back for all this. And he knew just how to do so—but that would have to wait until he got his own tragic love life figured out.

 

“Oh…good morning, Hyung!” Jimin squeaked anxiously, standing up straight.

 

“Morning, Jiminie,” he replied tiredly, choosing not to ask what was so good about it.

 

“I already wiped down the tables, and started the machines. All that’s left is opening up the new shipment of tea,” Jimin rambled, throwing his cleaning rag into the sink, and straightening his apron.

 

Jin smiled a little, amused at his friend’s behavior. It was obvious Jimin felt bad—how could anyone stay mad at him?

 

“Thank you, Jiminie. Is it just you and Tae today?”

 

“Yep! Jungkookie comes in tomorrow, though.”

 

Jin nodded, noting that down mentally.

 

“Well…we have quite a long day ahead. Let’s get going.”

 

The two worked, taking a short break when Taehyung showed up for his shift, and all of them avoiding the elephant in the room. Jin was sure that Jimin had told Tae what happened, considering how the normally hyperactive boy had been keeping his usual amounts of excitement and teasing to a minimum.

 

And when Namjoon came in a few hours later, with Hoseok and Yoongi in tow, Taehyung mysteriously disappeared into the back room to “make sure they had enough bagels for tomorrow”.

 

Jin gulped, seeing the stern expressions Namjoon and Yoongi had on their faces, relaxing only slightly when he saw Hoseok’s bright smile—a wild contrast.

 

“Hello! I’m Hoseok—Jimin’s friend! He’s told me—us, a lot about you!” the eager boy introduced himself.

 

“Ah, well…he’s told me…not very much about…any of you, to be honest,” Jin mumbled, glancing at Jimin—who was steadfastly ignoring Yoongi’s glare.

 

“Yeah, that’s ing obvious,” Yoongi rolled his eyes, looking back at Jin.

 

Jin wringed his hands, eyes flickering between all of them before settling on Namjoon.

 

He looked…a little rough, probably not much different from Jin’s own state. He had some serious dark circles under his eyes, and his hair laid limply across his forehead. He looked more tired than Yoongi, for once.

 

“Well…can I, get you guys anything? Then I’ll…go on my other break, so we can…talk, I guess,” Jin offered, looking down at his hands.

 

“The usual,” Yoongi huffed, “I assume you remember.”

 

“Uh, yeah. I do,” Jin said, flushing. He turned, grabbing the cups and starting the coffees.

 

“Shouldn’t we pay first?”

 

Jin flinched a little at Namjoon’s voice. “Um…it’s on the house. Don’t worry about it,” he said, not even turning around.

 

Jimin hummed, helping with the coffee. “Hyung, we can’t just—,”

 

“I’ll pay for it, Jiminie,” Jin whispered back.

 

Jimin nodded, looking even more guilty. “Well…I should be the one paying for it, really.”

 

“It’s fine. You just help me take these over there and help me get Namjoon back,” Jin said, tilting his head towards the table where the others had sat down. Jimin smiled, silently vowing to himself that he would help Jin and Namjoon get together, no matter how much it took. He knew in his heart they were a good match.

 

The two baristas brought the coffee over, Jimin heading back to get Taehyung to man the counter while Jimin and Jin talked.

 

Jin sat down next to Namjoon, awkwardly folding his hands on his lap. He had made himself a caramel macchiato, but his stomach was in knots and he wasn’t sure if he could keep it down right now.

 

“So…you meant to give me your number,” Yoongi started, staring intensely at Jin. Jin blinked, surprised they were starting with that. What did that even matter, now? Weren’t they here to lecture Jin about how to not be an idiot and break cute boys’ hearts?

 

“Uh…yes,” Jin started slowly, “but…only because I was…not really thinking, clearly.”

 

“You were drunk? At work?” Yoongi said incredulously, raising his eyebrows.

 

“No! No, I mean, I was just…look, I was…lonely, okay. I was willing to go on a date with pretty much anyone at that point, and well, you just…came in so often, and I had just worked myself up with stupid fantasies and—,”

 

“So you didn’t really care about anyone here, you just wanted to feel better about yourself,” Namjoon said roughly, crossing his arms.

 

Jin bit his lip hard, “N-no, I…I mean, it was kind of…shallow, looking back, I mean…I never even really talked to Yoongi, I just…but, but that doesn’t even matter! I really, really enjoyed the date, Namjoon. I did! And I…really like you,” Jin rambled, blushing at his own confession. Maybe it was a little soon, but Jin couldn’t sit and let Namjoon think Jin didn’t care about his feelings.

 

“This is all my fault! Don’t blame Jin-hyung!” Jimin yelled, rushing over to the table. “I was the one who told him to write his number on the cup, and I was the one who didn’t tell him who Namjoon really was—,”

 

“Oh, great, here comes this one,” Yoongi muttered, sinking into his chair.

 

“And I’m really really REALLY sorry!”

 

“Yes, okay, just…sit down, Jimin, please,” Jin hushed, pulling Jimin down into a seat.

 

“Why did you do that?” Namjoon asked Jimin, uncrossing his arms.

 

“I…I don’t know, okay! I just. I really wanted you and Jin-hyung to go on a date, and…I thought this would be cute! I didn’t mean for it to cause so much trouble,” Jimin explained, calming down a little.

 

“Well…okay. Listen, Jin-hyung—do you want to go on another date with Namjoon? Do you actually like him?” Hoseok asked, trying to make sense of the whole situation.

 

“Yes, of course! I mean…if he wanted to.”

 

“Okay, Namjoon—would you want to go on another date with Jin?”

 

“…Yes, if—if he really does like me, and this wasn’t just some funny joke,” Namjoon answered, glaring slightly at Jin and Jimin.

 

“It wasn’t, I swear! I only told you about me thinking Yoongi was you because, I thought it was funny! I didn’t mean that I was…disappointed, or that you…aren’t great, yourself. I…actually wish I had met you sooner,” Jin rushed out, grabbing Namjoon’s hand softly.

 

Namjoon softened, unable to stay mad. This wasn’t as big of a deal as everyone was making it out to be—who really cared about this mix-up, if in the end, everything worked out?

 

“Well…alright, then. How about that second date?” he asked, smiling—his dimples showing.

 

Jin giggled, squeezing Namjoon’s hand. “How about tomorrow?”

 

Namjoon nodded, pausing for a moment before straightening up and leaning over to lightly peck a kiss onto the very corner of Jin’s lips. “It’s a date, then.”

 

Jin blushed, his eyes widening before breaking out into more giggles as he nervously fidgeted with his hair.

 

Yoongi groaned, sliding even further down into his seat—so much that Hoseok got worried the older would fall onto the floor. “Oh my God, can I go home. This is disgusting.”

 

“Oh—wait, I have something for you, Yoongi!” Jin tried to compose himself, digging into the pocket of his apron and handing over a slip of paper.

 

“Here, it’s a coupon for a month’s worth of a free coffee a day. Sorry for all the trouble, and the ridiculous excuses of flirting,” Jin apologized, patting Yoongi’s hand as he took the coupon.

 

“Oh. Cool, thanks.” Yoongi sat up, suddenly looking ten times more friendly.

 

“Give him free , and he’ll be your best friend,” Hoseok rolled his eyes fondly.

 

“Shut it, Hoseok, as if you haven’t been getting free extra whipped cream in your coffees for a month now—,”

 

At that, Jin perked up again, looking at Jimin—who was again ignoring everything in favor of counting the lights on the ceiling.

 

“Tell Taehyung he better be ready to answer to the manager if he finds out about this,” Jin poked Jimin in his side.

 

“Will do!” Jimin squeaked as he stood up quickly and headed back over to Taehyung.

 

Namjoon chuckled, watching with Jin as Jimin gestured wildly to Taehyung, who kept nervously looking over to their table.

 

“Great friends you have, there,” he joked, grinning.

 

“Same to you,” Jin smiled, watching as Hoseok and Yoongi continued to bicker.

 

“Should we leave them to it?” Namjoon asked suggestively, nodding towards the door.

 

“Well…I technically have another hour and a half…but I think I can get the terror twins to cover for me just this once,” Jin winked.

 

No one even noticed when they slipped out, hand in hand.