Chapter 2-Misunderstandings and Awkwardness

All of the While, I Never Knew (It was You)

Jin was decidedly in a grouchy mood at work the next day. He had really expected Jimin’s phone number idea to lead to something, but he had gone home that night and waited—quite pathetically he might add—keeping his phone close by at all times hoping for a call, or even a text. Only to receive nothing.

 

“Come on, Hyung! Don’t give up, maybe he’s just really busy!” Jimin said, patting Jin’s shoulder.

 

“Or really shy!” Taehyung added, at Jin’s other side.

 

“Or maybe he hates me.”

 

“He doesn’t hate you! I’m telling you Hyung, just try again! Maybe he didn’t even see the number!”

 

“Jiminie’s right! Just do it again, and then if the same thing happens you’ll know for sure he’s ignoring you.”

 

“I hate to break up this sewing circle, but can one of you guys help me clear off the tables?” Jungkook piped up, rolling his eyes at his hyungs’ schoolgirl gossiping.

 

“Oh, of course Kookie!” Jimin flushed as he immediately hopped around the counter and joined Jungkook.

 

“Whipped,” Taehyung shook his head, going back to cleaning the coffee machines.

 

Jin just sighed. Well, good thing he wasn’t the only one here with a hardcore infatuation.

 

At least they had gotten a new shipment of large cups.

 

Jin perked up at the sound of the doorbell dinging, his heart jumping to his throat as he saw Namjoon and his two other friends walk in. He…he couldn’t do this.

 

“Tae…TAE!”

 

“What?”

 

“Uh, can you…take these orders? I have to…I really have to go…uh, get some more medium roast beans from the back.”

 

“But…we have a whole—,”

 

“Just take the orders! I’ll be right back!”

 

Jin ignored Taehyung’s confused expression as he rushed around the younger and quickly ducked into the back room, peeking out just enough to see what happened at the counter.

 

Namjoon didn’t look angry, he just…looked like he always did. Slightly grumpy and dead tired. He didn’t seem to be annoyed, or confused, or looking for Jin to tell him that he would never date him in a million years. Maybe Jimin was right, maybe he just didn’t see Jin’s number yesterday.

 

He felt a tiny surge of confidence; he just had to try again. This time, this time would be the one! He had this!

 

He stood up straight, quickly checking his hair with his phone camera, and straightened his apron before going back over to the counter where Tae had already begun making the orders.

 

“Okay, I’m done, you can go back to what you were doing!”

 

“What—wait, you didn’t even get the—,”

 

“I can take care of these, just go rearrange the pastry shelf, we need more bagels!”

 

“Well, why didn’t you get them while you were back—,”

 

Jin just hushed him and nudged him towards the pastries.

 

He glanced over to where Namjoon and his friends were waiting, blinking as he saw the nervous one quickly turn away after he met Jin’s eyes.

 

Whatever. He had a mission to complete.

 

He made the other coffees first, and while they were going, he grabbed the large cup labelled ‘Namjoon’ and repeated his phone number+ winky face combo he had written previously.

 

Jin could hardly contain his excitement as he put the lids on the coffees and carried them over to the group of guys, setting them down on the side counter and smiling.

 

“Here you are, large iced Americano, small white mocha and a medium dark roast!”

 

“Thanks,” Namjoon said in his usual lazy drawl, grabbing all three of the cups and bringing them over to his friends who had for some reason hung back.

 

Jin watched anxiously as he walked away, waiting for him to pay attention to his drink. He smiled wide, trying to make himself look busy while he kept his focus on the group; the espresso machine needed to be reset, so he decided he could do that easily as he spied. He couldn’t wait—this was it, he could feel it, this would be the day!

 

He bit his lip as Namjoon carefully handled all of the drinks, sorting them out.

 

And he let out a gasp of pure horror as Namjoon handed the only large cup over to the taller, nervous looking friend.

 

At that moment, the espresso machine took its final bow and chose that moment to break down, letting out a loud 'bang' and a puff of smoke, spraying espresso everywhere and all over a very shocked Jin, who was still frozen in terror.

 

The group of friends looked over, witnessing Jin’s tragic embarrassment.

 

“Oh…my God, Hyung, are you alright?” Jimin gasped, rushing over to the elder and quickly pulling him away from the machine, trying to mop him down with a cleaning towel.

 

“I knew that machine was gonna blow!” Taehyung yelled knowingly, going over to unplug it and clean the mess it had caused.

 

“I’m a ing idiot,” Jin whispered, his eyes still wide.

 

"Hey! No cursing in the lobby, Hyung!"

****

“Stupid Namjoon and his stupid ing coffee,” Yoongi cursed as he made the usual walk to the coffee shop that Namjoon insisted he had to get his coffee from. Why the clumsy idiot couldn’t get his OWN damn coffee, Yoongi didn’t know.

 

Oh, wait, of course he did. Because Namjoon is an awkward who was too embarrassed by his crush on the usual café barista to even get the courage to stutter out his order without turning redder than a tomato.

 

Though, that one time was pretty damn hilarious, Yoongi would admit.

 

To be quite honest, Yoongi didn’t understand what all the fuss was about. Sure, the guy was…really handsome, and had magnificent shoulders, but he was WAY too cheerful (maybe a little hypocritical of him considering his friendship with Hoseok, but still). The guy was always humming, always smiling so big and ALWAYS treating Yoongi like he was some kind of celebrity, as if he expected that cringe-y behavior would earn him a tip or something. He had sarcastically left a single quarter as a tip, that first day Namjoon had forced him to get his coffee for him alone.

 

Yoongi had thought it was pretty funny, but apparently the barista didn’t get the joke.

 

Either way, it didn’t matter. He was already running late to the studio today, and he still had to get Namjoon’s stupid coffee. He sighed as he entered the café, heading straight for the counter.

 

“The usual. Quickly, please, I’m running late.”

 

“O—oh, well, we…we’re out of large cups, at the moment. Would you like medium?”

 

Yoongi huffed. Of course.

 

“Ugh, whatever. Medium, then. Extra shot.”

 

“Uh, yes! Of course! $3.15 for the medium!”

 

Yoongi rolled his eyes a little at the barista’s awkward attempt at being extra polite. Maybe this guy really would be a good match for Namjoon.

 

After getting the offending coffee (iced Americano, ew, by the way, Namjoon’s taste in coffee is awful) he hurried as quickly as he could to the studio.

 

“I’m here, I’m here, I got your damn coffee,” he said as he walked in, breathing heavy from his fast pace.

 

“Oh, thanks Hyung! Was he there? Did he say anything—,”

 

“Yes, he was there, he’s always there. And no, he didn’t say anything about you. Probably because he only met you the one time and then you disappeared off the face of the earth—,”

 

“HOLY !”

 

“And—what, what?” Yoongi stopped mid-rant, confused.

 

“Hyung, holy . Oh, my god. What do I do. Oh God. Oh, I’m freaking out. HELP ME!”

 

“What the hell are you on about?”

 

“He wrote his number on the cup!”

 

“Wait…are you kidding me?” Yoongi’s jaw dropped in disbelief.

 

“What are you guys yelling about?” Hoseok asked, joining them in the studio room.

 

“Namjoon’s lover boy actually gave him his phone number!”

 

“REALLY? Thank God! Finally, now you can stop pining, Joonie!”

 

“Guys, I…I can’t do it. I can’t,” Namjoon fretted, clutching the cup.

 

“Oh no, no way, we aren’t doing this. You are going to save that phone number, and you are going to text that giant-shouldered ball of bubbly awkwardness and you are going to set up a ing date!” Yoongi declared as he reached for Namjoon’s phone.

 

“Okay, okay! I’ll, I’ll do it!” Namjoon grabbed his phone and sat down the cup, entering the miraculous phone number into his contacts.

 

“I swear to everything holy, Namjoon, if you don’t text him tonight—,”

 

“I will, hyung! I will.”

 

He didn’t.