Chapter 5- Flowers and Friends

All of the While, I Never Knew (It was You)

Namjoon was glad he didn’t happen to cross paths with any cops, the way he sped home—fighting back the ridiculous tears that kept threatening to leak out.

 

He knew he was being a little…dramatic, maybe, about the whole situation. It’s not like Jin was being rude, or anything, and he did say that he had enjoyed the date, it was just. Well. He wasn’t really sure what he was so upset about.

 

You know, besides the fact that he thought he had gotten asked out by the cute guy he’s had a crush on for almost a month and a half, only to find out that said crush actually wanted to go out with his best friend.

 

That stung a little, but it wasn’t necessarily Jin’s fault, Namjoon figured. He was tempted to blame Yoongi, but he knew this was really all on him—if he had just it up and went to get his own coffee, and had the courage to talk to Jin himself, none of this would have happened.

 

That knowledge didn’t exactly stop him from being pissed, though.

 

“Did you know?” he demanded as soon as he entered the apartment he and Yoongi shared, seeing his hyung sitting casually on the couch.

 

“Did I know what? How’d it go, then, lover boy. Did you make him fall for your irresistible charms,” Yoongi sarcastically chuckled.

 

“No. Well, actually…I don’t know. It doesn’t ing matter though,” Namjoon spat, kicking off his shows and stomping over to the couch to join Yoongi.

 

“What? What did you do this time?”

 

Namjoon bit down on the inside of his cheek.

 

“I didn’t do anything. It was a perfectly good date. A great one. But I wasn’t supposed to even ing be there!”

 

Yoongi turned his eyes away from the TV, looking at his friend. Namjoon looked…pretty beat down.

 

“What? What do you mean?” he asked, toning down his usual sarcasm.

 

“You…you really didn’t know?” Namjoon asked, relaxing a bit. He would admit he was a little nervous, thinking that Yoongi had known all along and was just using the whole situation as some kind of joke.

 

Yoongi just frowned and gestured at him to continue.

 

“Well…Jin kind of let it slip that he, uh…didn’t mean to give me his number,” Namjoon sighed, avoiding Yoongi’s gaze. “He thought….he thought, uh, the coffee was for you. Since, you bought it all the time, and, yeah,” he finished awkwardly, deflating as he retold the story.

 

Yoongi stared at his friend, his wide eyes not even blinking. He couldn’t believe what he had just heard. Jin, annoyingly cheerful and broad-shouldered Jin, the too-polite barista, had meant to ask HIM out?

 

He in his bottom lip, biting so hard he could taste the metallic blood on his tongue. Part of him could see where the confusion had come from, but…something just didn’t add up.

 

That one barista, not the skinnier tall one, but the shorter one with the red hair—Park Jimin. The kid that did dance with Hoseok. He had let it slip to Hoseok one day that his “really cool and funny and awesome Jin-hyung” had a “hilariously massive crush on Namjoon” and he wanted to know if Namjoon would possibly be down for a date—to which he and Hoseok had nodded furiously.

 

Jimin knew Namjoon, a little. Maybe not like good friends, but he knew who the guy was! And he knew who Yoongi was—which was definitely NOT Namjoon.

 

So, Yoongi was ing confused. From what Joon had just told him, Jin didn’t even KNOW who Namjoon really was, let alone had a crush on him. So, what the kind of drugs was Jimin doing, and where could he get some?

 

“Well…hey, listen. This isn’t as bad as it seems. There’s an easy fix for all of this,” he said, hoping his words sounded confident enough to get Namjoon on board.

 

“Yeah, what?” Namjoon scoffed, sniffling a little. Yoongi ignored that.

 

“Obviously, we both go to the café, have a little talk with Jin, get everything straightened out, and you two—have a talk about whether or not a second date is in order.”

 

Namjoon looked like he didn’t quite like the sound of that, but he nodded anyway.

 

“Good. We’ll go tomorrow after work...I'm gonna call Hoseok and see if he knows anything about what the hell is happening,” Yoongi mumbled as he looked back to his phone.

 

****

Jin wasn’t too proud to admit that he had gotten a little too emotional when he had gotten home after the date, after all of his texts to Namjoon begging him to let him explain went unanswered. He wasn’t usually the type to get teary-eyed over being ignored like that, but. This was different.

 

He really didn’t mean to make Namjoon upset. He wasn’t even trying to be rude or anything. He just genuinely thought that Namjoon would find the whole story a little funny. Why would he even get so upset? It’s not like the guy had some kind of claim or attachment on Jin—wait.

 

He had said something about Jin always looking good, and…he thought he remembered Namjoon mentioning something about being so caught off guard the first time he saw Jin that he had awkwardly stuttered out his coffee order, his tongue twisting over his words and his cheeks blushing.

 

Jin didn’t really think on it at the time, but now Jin was wondering how long Namjoon had known who he was, and if…maybe, Namjoon had…liked him, before.

 

He did seem to put in a weird amount of effort into picking out flowers (that Jin currently had in a vase on his coffee table) and talking about wanting them to have a special meaning. Did flowers even have meanings like that? He decided to look up what Namjoon had told him they were—not like he had anything better to do, like texting his awesome date that didn’t want to hear from him.

 

“Gardenias: These flowers are associated with several meanings including purity, love and refinement. It signifies a secret love or an untold love. Along with symbolizing love, Gardenia’s also bring a touch of elegance due to their bright white color and delicate nature.”

 

“Forget-Me-Nots: The forget-me-not flowers are a medium, ‘true blue’. And as the name suggests, they are given or used to decorate gifts with the hope the recipient will not forget the giver. It also symbolizes faithful love and memories.”

 

Jin rubbed his eyes, swallowing back the emotion tightening in his throat. That was…really beautiful. He could picture Namjoon at a flower shop after pouring over flower meanings, looking for the perfect combination for what he wanted to convey to Jin, without having to say it out loud and risk embarrassing them both. He could see the younger getting into a deep conversation with the florist, talking over the pros and cons of different flower combos, stubbornly refusing to just buy any old bouquet they had already made.

 

The tears threatened to fall again. Jin really hated himself right now. Why did he have to be such an awkward piece of ?

 

He really didn’t know what to do. There wasn’t really anything he COULD do, if Namjoon didn’t answer him back. He would just have to…wait and see.

 

In the meantime, he knew what he could do. Verbally kick Park Jimin’s perky over the phone until he told Jin what the hell was going on; but when he swiped his phone open, he saw that he had 3 missed calls and about 20 texts from the kid, increasingly more urgent and pleading.

 

He rolled his eyes and called him back, ready to hear whatever story Jimin had for him.

 

“Hyung! Jesus, why haven’t you been answering me? I really really need to—,”

 

“Explain? Yeah, that would be great right about now, Jiminie," Jin interrupted, his words dripping with sarcasm.

 

“Okay listen, don’t be mad at me, please! I really just wanted to help!”

 

“Jimin, in what world would confusing the hell out of me about everything ever HELP me?”

 

“Look—here’s what happened. Me and Tae were tired of seeing you all mopey every time some new person you had a crush on didn’t work out, so I decided to set you up with someone—no, don’t interrupt me! Okay, so maybe I knew that it wasn’t really Namjoon that was coming in—his name is Yoongi, and he’s an honestly—but anyway, I just…it was the perfect set up!”

 

“….Yeah, I’m gonna need more than that. I still don’t know what your idea here was,” Jin said, confused. So Jimin knew Yoongi wasn’t who Jin thought he was but let him make an idiot of himself anyway?

 

“Well, I kind of…told you to write your number on the cup so that Namjoon, actual Namjoon that is, would get it. Because, I knew that Namjoon would be a super good match for you! And I’m right, aren’t I? Didn’t the date go well?” Jimin rushed out, his voice higher pitched over the phone.

 

“Yeah…except for the part where I made a fool out of myself!”

 

“Well that’s not my fault, is it? You shouldn’t have mentioned anything about this!”

 

Jin sighed, knowing Jimin was right. Sure, Jimin probably shouldn’t have messed around like this and should have just told him what was going on in the first place (and maybe set him up with Namjoon like a NORMAL person would!) but screwing up the date was all on him. He wonders if Namjoon’s friends knew anything about this…

 

“Wait, Jimin—how do you even KNOW Namjoon? And Yoongi?” Jin asked suddenly.

 

“Oh, I dance with Hoseok-hyung! Their other friend—he sometimes comes to the café with them? The one that Taehyung always adds extra chocolate and whipped cream in his mocha for?”

 

“Taehyung does WHAT—okay, no, never mind, not important right now. So, did they know about all this too, then?”

 

“Uh….not exactly…I didn’t mention the part where you thought Yoongi was Namjoon.”

 

Jin sighed again, rubbing his forehead with the palms of his hands. “Okay, so basically, they all thought I asked Namjoon out, I thought I asked Yoongi out, and no one knew any better besides you?”

 

“…Yeah, pretty much.”

 

“Jimin, this was the dumbest plan of all time.”

 

He pulled his phone away from his ear as Jimin started screeching about why “it was a great plan, Hyung!” as he heard a beep saying he got a new text. From Namjoon.