Chapter 3- Text Messages and Embarrassment

All of the While, I Never Knew (It was You)

Namjoon could admit his faults. He didn’t think he was the worst person out there, but he could admit the areas he needed work on—surrounding himself in work to the point of exhaustion, being one. Avoiding simple social interactions such as buying coffee, because he had mildly embarrassed himself in front of the super attractive barista—another.

 

Not calling said barista after he gives Namjoon his phone number, presumably to instigate a romantic relationship, because of his own insecurities and nervousness—a pretty big one.

 

“Joon, you actual potato, I TOLD you to just text him!” Yoongi scolded him that morning, after learning that Namjoon had not gotten ahold of Seokjin like he said he would.

 

“Well—okay so, listen, I was going to. And then, I thought—well, what if…what if he didn’t mean to do it?”

 

“What? How could he have not meant to—,”

 

“Listen! Maybe, maybe he didn’t even write on the cup! Maybe it was that other guy, and maybe…maybe it was like, meant for another cup, but he put it on the wrong one! Maybe—,”

 

“Oh my God, I can’t believe this. Joon. The guy gave you his number. You did nothing with said number. The guy is probably heartbroken right now. You just blew your chances.”

 

“Well…well! I mean…maybe I can fix it!”

 

“Fix what?” Hoseok asked, joining the two.

 

“Namjoon’s tragic love life.”

 

“Hey!”

 

Hoseok sighed, wondering if they could ever have a day without talking about Namjoon’s failure at being a normal person.

 

“Right, of course. Do I even have to ask?” he mumbled, sitting down at the computer desk.

 

“Okay, here’s what we’re gonna do. At lunch break, we’re going back to the café, and Namjoon—you are going to stop being a big baby, and you’re going to confront him.”

 

“But, Yoongi-hyung!”

 

“No! This is how we have to deal with this, apparently, since you can’t man up and text the poor guy yourself!”

 

….Which is how they ended up there, at the café, watching with wide eyes as a certain barista was covered head to toe in coffee, with the two other employees buzzing around him like little elves, and another one wiping down tables as if nothing had happened.

 

“Uh, should I…still…like, go talk to him, you think?” Namjoon asked, cocking his head to the side.

 

His friends sighed in unison.

 

“Wait…he did it again!” he practically squealed, noticing the same handwritten number scrawled onto the cup.

 

“See, it wasn’t a mistake! He totally wants to go on a date with you!” Hoseok laughed, punching Namjoon’s shoulder playfully.

 

“Yeah, , now don’t it up again,” Yoongi agreed, “you know what, I don’t trust you. Give me your phone.”

 

“Wait, no—,”

 

“Here, Yoongi!” Hoseok snatched Namjoon’s phone from his pocket, quickly handing it over to Yoongi.

 

“How do you even know my password!?”

 

“Because we’ve been friends for entirely too long,” Yoongi drawled as he typed the text out to Jin.

To: loverboy

hey there, sorry about not texting earlier. if you still want to go on a date with my awkward just let me know

“Yoongi, do not send that!”

 

“Too late.”

 

“Guys, we should probably be getting back to the studio,” Hoseok said, looking at the time.

 

“Right, let’s get out of here.”

 

Namjoon hesitated, looking back to where the barista, Seokjin, was still wiping himself off, looking extremely embarrassed. He thought maybe he should just go over there and apologize in person and let him know that yeah, he definitely wanted to go on a date…but at the same time, he didn’t want to embarrass the guy any more than he already was.

 

So, he followed his friends out of the café, praying he gets a text back later.

****

Jin, on the other hand, was currently freaking out.

 

Not only had he completely screwed himself over, he also now had ruined his clothes, and smelled like coffee, and had a broken espresso machine on his hands.

 

And he had no idea how to fix any of this.

 

“Jimin, Jimin, what the hell am I supposed to do!” he whined, looking at the text he had received.

 

The two had gone on break together, deciding they both needed it.

 

“I don’t see the problem, just…go on the date with the guy, what’s the worst that could happen? He seemed perfectly nice the times I talked to him,” Jimin said, picking at the skin around his fingernails.

 

“But—but! It’s not him!” Jin groaned. He put his head down in his arms on the table.

 

“Hyung, no offense, but you don’t even know the other guy. All you’ve even spoken to him about is ing coffee prices. What even would be the difference? Are you telling me you’re so shallow that all you care about is looks?”

 

“What! No, of course not!” Jin exclaimed, slightly offended. He wasn’t that kind of person, he had morals! Just because he happened to be very handsome didn’t mean he only judged on appearances. Besides…the real Namjoon, well, he wasn’t too bad looking himself.

 

“Well, then just text the poor guy back already! Set up the date for tomorrow night, go to that new barbeque place!” Jimin said, a little too excitedly.

 

Jin squinted his eyes, looking Jimin over.

 

“Why are you so insistent that I go on a date with this Namjoon guy?” he asked suspiciously, tapping his fingers on the table.

 

“What! Hyung, all you’ve been talking about is how much you wanted to go on a date with him! Well…not HIM, but…same thing!” Jimin stuttered nervously.

 

“Mhm. If I find out this is another one of your little schemes, Park Jimin, mark my words, you’re getting payback.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever Hyung—just text him back!”

 

Jin rolled his eyes, looking back to his phone.

 

From: Namjoon(??)

hey there, sorry about not texting earlier. if you still want to go on a date with my awkward just let me know

To: Namjoon(??)

Hi! Don’t worry about it, do you like barbeque?

Good enough, he figured. This Namjoon didn’t seem to have much care to use proper grammar, anyway.

 

“Alright, I’ll see what he says. We can figure out the details later,” Jin gave in, biting his lip at Jimin’s excited squeal.

 

“Don’t worry Hyung, you won’t regret it! I mean—you probably won’t, yeah, haha!”

 

Jin huffed, still not trusting Jimin, getting up to go back to work.

 

From: Namjoon(??)

Oh, I didn’t expect you to text back! I love barbeque, how’s 7 o’clock?