Chapter 4

Question Mart

Four days later, Samuel found himself waiting outside of Question Mart at 4:45 waiting for Daehwi to arrive so they could go on their first real date.  Samuel could feel his heart beating out of his chest and his hands shaking out of nervousness. 

 

They had agreed to meet up at 5, but Samuel wanted to be early.  Apparently so did Daehwi, because he showed up around 4:50.  

 

"Oh you're here already."  Daehwi said, smiling that adorable killer smile of his.  

 

"Yeah.  I wanted to be early, but it looks like you had the same idea."  Samuel explained.  

 

Daehwi nodded, and Samuel spoke up again, "shall we go then?"  Daehwi nodded and the two of them set off.  They went to a nearby park first.  It was Samuel's park when he was little, because it had the best playground he had ever seen.  Samuel told Daehwi this despite the embarrassment he was feeling, and Daehwi wanted to go see it. So they did.

 

They played on the playground for a while, and Daehwi was somehow almost immediately involved in a game of tag with a bunch of kids.  Samuel sat on top of the monkey bars and watched his date chase the kids around.  Daehwi managed to find some time to take a break, and he wandered over to below where Samuel was sitting and smiled up at him, "we can go now if you want."

 

Part of Samuel wanted to keep watching, but he had lots more planned for the day, so he slid off the money bars and grabbed Daehwi's hand and set off towards his favorite part of town, hoping he wasn't being too forward. 

 

After a short walk, they arrived where Samuel had wanted to take Daehwi.  It was the sort of town space with so much to do in a relatively small area.  

 

Just as Samuel was about to ask where they should go, Daehwi spotted the old fashioned candy store and dragged Samuel in its direction by their still interlocked hands.  

 

Daehwi gasped seeing the wall of candy that he could buy and pay for by the pound.  And when he saw the literal fountain of chocolate, Daehwi's jaw dropped.  

 

Daehwi spent awhile choosing and then refining his choices of what he wanted to get.  And in the end he settled on getting a bag of mixed gummies, Samuel got a bag of chocolates and payed for them both.  They left the shop playfully arguing about paying and Daehwi decided he would pay for whatever they got next.  

 

They walked around munching on candy and talking about whatever until they had finished their candy and Samuel suggested they get some pizza at the nearby pizza place.  Samuel was sure pizza was different in Korea and so Daehwi needed to know what real pizza tasted like, ignoring the fact that California wasn't known for their pizza unlike New York or Chicago.  Maybe some day they could take a trip to Vernon's birth city, but for now, they would have to make do.

 

Thankfully it didn't take long for their slices to be ready, and Daehwi said that he liked the pizza more than the pizza in Korea, even though he probably was just saying that to make Samuel feel better.  So they left the pizza place with fuller stomachs and bigger smiles. 

 

They sat down on a bench still in town and talked more as they idly watched people pass by.  They learned more about each other, and Samuel realized how much he would do to stay with Daehwi when he would inevitably move back to Korea.

 

Eventually, their date would have to end, and Daehwi checking his phone reminded Samuel of that.

 

"My mom wants me home soon."  Daehwi said. 

 

Samuel hummed in response before asking, "what time is it?"

 

"Uhh... 6:52."  Daehwi said.

 

"Oh!  Well can your mom wait a little longer then?"  Samuel asked.

 

"Probably, why?"  Daehwi asked back.

 

In response, Samuel grabbed Daehwi's hand and started dragging him towards a parking deck.  Five fights of stairs later, the two of them found themselves on the top of an empty parking deck just as the sun was starting to set.  From where they stood the view was picturesque.  The sun melting into the city skyline.  It was probably one of Samuel's better ideas, judging by Daehwi's little gasp as they stepped out of the stairwell.

 

The two of them settled by the edge, leaning against the barrier to watch the sunset.  Samuel looked at Daehwi, and he looked so good, skin drinking in the colors of the sunset. 

 

Daehwi turned to look at him and their eyes met, and Daehwi smiled.  Their noses touched before their lips did, and Samuel couldn't help the smile tugging at his lips. 

 

They broke apart, and smiled at each other awkwardly but happily.  The notification sound on Daehwi's phone shattered the moment, and Samuel couldn't help but laugh at the little pout on Daehwi's lips.

 

"Let me walk you home."  Samuel offered his hand, and Daehwi took it, bringing the first of many dates to a close.

 

A/n: i'm alive guys don't worry.  Anyway, sorry it took so long to update.  Long story short, a spider took over the place I usually sit in to write, and it's harder to write elsewhere for some reason.  Next chapter is gonna be longer and it's sorta an epilogue , but I have some plans so hopefully it won't take long to write.  As per usual, sorry for any mistakes (and for this entire chapter tbh this chapter is like 50% i stayed up too late and 50% did the spider take my inspiration but it's the best I could do for it I guess) and I hope you enjoyed~