Chapter 3

Question Mart

Daehwi returned to Question Mart two days after having coffee with Samuel.  The two of them had texted off and on since then and Daehwi had really been meaning to stop by again earlier than he did, but he had a rare opportunity to video chat with all of his friends from Korea,  which was an opportunity Daehwi was not going to pass up.  Thankfully Samuel understood.

 

And so after school ended Daehwi found himself in Question Mart searching for the third book in a series he had come to like after buying the first book on his first visit.  

 

When he found it and went to check out, he realized Samuel wasn't there.  Instead there was a tall guy who looked tired and grumpy but still somehow happy to be there.  He had a book propped open in front of him, since no one was in the check out line.  

 

Daehwi walked around the check out line and leaned on the counter next to the guy.  Based on Samuel's descriptions of his friends, Daehwi would guess that this was Wonwoo, or possibly Mingyu height wise, but he looked to into the book to be Mingyu.  The guy looked up, and upon seeing the guy's name tag, which read Wonwoo, a proud smile spread to Daehwi's face. 

 

Wonwoo looked at him confused for a few seconds, until his eyes widened in recognition, "you must be Daehwi, Samuel's told me a lot about you." 

 

"Yep.  I am.  And likewise I guess."  Daehwi said.

 

"Really?  Somehow I can't imagine that."  Wonwoo said, surprised.

 

"Yeah.  I got the briefing of your friend group when we got coffee together.  And then I nagged him for descriptions about you guys.  So."  Daehwi shrugged.

 

Wonwoo smiled, "well Sammy's shift doesn't start until 4:30 so you can just hangout until then I guess."

 

Getting the information he needed, Daehwi nodded and left Wonwoo to find a comfy beanbag somewhere and read his book until 4:30.  

 

-/:\-

 

Samuel's shift actually started at 4 usually on Mondays, but Daehwi didn't need to know that.  Samuel would need the extra time.

 

Wonwoo hoped that someone, preferably someone with their head on straight, was helping Sammy brainstorm ways to ask that Daehwi kid out.  Left to his own devices, chances are low that Sammy could come up with a decent idea.  With help, well, something's bound to work out.  Wonwoo hoped that, in the nicest way possible, Seungkwan wasn't helping Sammy.  The bookstore was not the place for big scenes like the ones Seungkwan would come up with.

 

-/:\-

 

The bell over the door rung around 4:30, signifying that someone had entered.  With one glance, Daehwi could tell it was Samuel despite hardly being able to see.  But Daehwi waited a little longer.  There were only a few more pages left in the chapter, and Daehwi didn't want to appear too eager.  

 

Four pages later, Daehwi got up, marking his page, and headed to the front of the store to check out.  Sure enough, Samuel was standing behind the register where Wonwoo had been a little over an hour ago.  Samuel smiled at him while helping another customer, and Daehwi waved back.  

 

Daehwi was next in line, and he placed his book on the counter, his finger still holding his place.

 

Samuel seemed to notice, "I can give you a post-it to hold your place if you want."

 

"Oh. Yeah.  That would be helpful."  Daehwi said, carefully transferring his book to Samuel, his place still held.  Samuel gave him his book back, post-it now holding his place for him.

 

"That's $10 again."  Samuel said.

 

"No friend discount?"  Daehwi joked.

 

"No."  Samuel laughed.  

 

"It was worth a try.  Thanks though.  See ya!"  Daehwi said.

 

On his way home, Daehwi opened his book, hoping to learn the art of walking while reading or reading while walking, whichever it was, only to see the message written on the post-it note.

 

Daehwi felt his face heat up several degrees while reading it, and was tempted to run back to the store.  If only his mom didn't want him home early today.

 

Daehwi read over the note as he debated over how to respond in a clever way.  

 

"Hey Daehwi.  I know we heavenly known each other for that long, but would you like to go on a real date with me?  Preferably as boyfriends.  And soon.  -Samuel" 

 

How does one respond to that in a cool way.  Does Daehwi need to find a way to slip a post-it note to Samuel?  Suddenly he was struck with an idea.  He stopped in the first stationary store he could find, and searched until he could find origami paper.  He bought it and looked up how to fold a heart.  On his third try, the heart was acceptable, and he took out a white gel pen he bought.  He wrote out his answer in the best script he could manage on the front and on the back, he wrote Samuel's name.  

 

He texted his mom saying he got wrapped up in his book before heading back to Question Mart.  When he was sure no one was looking, he slid the heart through the ajar door not staying to watch it flutter to the ground, hoping that it would catch Samuel's attention.  Daehwi turned around and headed for home, task accomplished.

 

-/:\-

 

When his friends told him to ask Samuel out at his next chance, Samuel said that he didn't know how to, hoping to get them off his case.  Of course he had the most annoying friends in the world who took that as an opportunity to come up with the most extra plans in the limited amount of time between school and his shift at the store.  

 

Surprisingly, it was Minghao who spoke up with the winning idea.  

 

So he arrived at the store just before the precious time Wonwoo bought for him ran out, and scribbled on a post-it, "Hey Daehwi. I know we haven't known each other for that long, but would you like to go on a real date with me?  Preferably as boyfriends.  And soon. -Samuel".

 

He had just finished writing it when Daehwi wandered up to the check out line.  Samuel smiled at him as if he wasn't dying of nervousness, and Daehwi waved in response.  

 

Daehwi was holding his place in his book and Samuel offered a post-it to hold his place for him, all according to plan.  He was surprised when Daehwi said yeah, some part of him expected things to go wrong somehow.  But they didn't.  

 

"That's $10 again."  Samuel said, handing back Daehwi's book.

 

"No friend discount?"  Daehwi asked, and Samuel had to say no, not elaborating that if Daehwi said yes, he might get a boyfriend discount.  And then Daehwi smiled in his way out, leaving the door slightly open to catch the pleasant breeze, and Samuel thought it was over too quick.  He wanted to see Daehwi's reaction, but that would be embarrassing to both of them and what if he said no?

 

Samuel did not expect what he saw flutter through the still open door to be a folded heart addressed to him with a script "yes" on the front, but then again leave it to Daehwi to outdo him in the cutest way possible.

 

A/n:  YAY ITS CHAPTER 3!!!  It's been a little while cause I was like "hey self take a break, don't stay up till midnight writing fanfiction, so naturally I stayed up to midnight reading fanfiction instead (whoops).  Anyway ch3 is here. I kinda expected this to be waaay shorter but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  As per usual, I'm sorry for any mistakes, and i hope you like it~