Chapter 1

Question Mart

Lee Daehwi was not the sort of person who you would find in a bookstore.  But he was also not the sort of person who could turn away from a good pun.  So when he found himself standing in front of a bookstore called Question Mart a week after moving to America, he knew he had to go in.

 

Despite the fact that he rarely found himself in bookstores, Daehwi could appreciate the comfortable and home-y vibe of a good bookstore.  So when he saw that Question Mart had soft carpet covering the floor and beanbag chairs or pillows stuffed in every nook and cranny, Daehwi knew he would be coming back.

 

When Daehwi saw the cute boy working the register when he went to pay for the book he found, Daehwi knew he would rapidly become a regular.  

 

-:-

 

Five days later Daehwi found himself at Question Mart again.  It was as comfortable as last time and the boy working at the register now had a name tag.  His name was Samuel apparently.

 

This time, Daehwi found the courage to talk to cute register boy Samuel.

 

He smiled warmly as he put the book he was going to buy on the counter.

 

"Hi."  He said, trying not to sound awkward.

 

"Hello-" the phone rung, interrupting Samuel. Samuel picked up. "Hello?  This is- never mind then."  Samuel put down the phone.

 

Daehwi must have looked confused, because Samuel explained, "sorry about that, it wasn't anyone important.  Just someone trying to sell me stuff."

 

"What." Daehwi asked, perplexed.

 

"What?"  Samuel asked back.

 

"They have that here?"  Daehwi asked, surprised.

 

"Yeah?  Are you from somewhere else?"  Samuel asked.

 

"Yeah.  I'm from Korea actually."  Daehwi said.

 

"Oh.  Wow.  You're English is really great."  Samuel complimented,  "how long are you here for?" 

 

"I'm not sure actually."  Daehwi admitted, "I've been here for... almost two weeks."  

 

"Oh wow.  And you've already visited the store twice."  Samuel said.  

 

Just then someone, presumably the manager, yelled at Samuel, "hey Sammy, you're holding up the line. Hurry up and finish checking this customer out won't you?"  

 

Samuel flinched, "right.  Sorry Josh, I'll hurry."  Samuel called back.

 

"Sorry I made you get yelled at."  Daehwi apologized.

 

"Nah it's not a big deal.  I've known the manager for aaaaages.  He'll let me off the hook." Samuel said, finally actually scanning Daehwi's book. "That's $10."

 

"Right.  Wanna meet once your shift is over and talk over coffee?" Daehwi asked, internally panicking that he was being too forward.

 

Samuel looked surprised but quickly responded, "sure.  See you at three.  We can meet here if that's fine with you." 

 

"That works!  See you!"  Daehwi said, unable to control his excitement or the smile spreading to his face.  He waved happily as he left.

 

-/:\-

 

Samuel didn't find his job at Question Mart all that interesting, which is probably why he liked it since much.  Even if he originally started working there to help his friends with their odd dream to open a bookstore named Question Mart, he grew fond of the job and it quickly became part of his routine.  

 

When he saw a cute guy outside the store while on his self-deemed break, Samuel was tempted to chase the guy down just to say hi.  Samuel watched as cute guy stopped, read the store sign, and laughed to himself.  And then when the cute guy entered the store, Samuel panicked.  Samuel returned to the register with a mission.  He watched the cute guy as he browsed and admired the place, before finding a book he liked and moving to buy it.  

 

Samuel prided himself with how calmly he acted despite internally freaking out.  The cute guy thanked Samuel with the most adorable smile Samuel had ever seen before leaving.  Samuel was very whipped and very screwed.

 

When cute guy returned not even a week later Samuel panicked again.  This time however he was not on his self proclaimed break, and got to watch cute guy browse from his place at the front of the store.

 

This time when cute guy was checking out, he initiated small talk with the cutest "hi" Samuel has ever heard in his fifteen years of life.

 

Samuel began to respond eagerly but he was cut off after his hello by the ringing of the phone.  He picked up and began the usual phone greeting only to be met with the sounds of a robo sales call.  He hung up.

 

Cute guy looked confused, so Samuel spoke up, "sorry about that, it wast anyone important.  Just someone trying to sell me stuff."

 

Evidently this confused cute guy even more since his eyebrows furrowed and he asked, "what?"

 

Samuel, now confused, also asked, "what?"

 

"They have that here?" Cute guy asked.  That explained it, cute guy wasn't from here.

 

"Yeah.  Are you from somewhere else?"  Samuel asked back.

 

"Yeah."  Cute guy said, "I'm from Korea actually."  That's cool, Samuel thought, he had lots of friends from Korea and was part Korean himself.  

 

"Oh wow.  Your English is really great.  How long are you here for?"  Good thinking Samuel, compliment him and find out how long he'll be here, Samuel thought.

 

"I'm not sure actually."  Cute guy said, "I've been here for... almost two weeks."  Not really helpful cute guy, not helpful.

 

"Oh wow.  And you've already visited the store twice."  Samuel said, yeah good going Samuel now he must think you're a creep, samuel mentally cursed at himself.

 

Then, just in time to interrupt his inner monologue of self hatred for messing this up, Joshua called down to him from the second floor where he was presumably waiting to help some lost customer. "Hey Sammy, you're holding up the line.  Hurry up and finish checking this customer out won't you?"

 

Samuel flinched slightly, remembering that he was still supposed to be working, and that he was the only one working the registers.

 

"Right.  Sorry Josh.  I'll hurry."  He called back.

 

Cute boy frowned slightly, "sorry I made you get yelled at."  

 

"Nah it's not a big deal.  I've known the manager for aaaaaages, he'll let me off the hook."  Samuel smiled.  He scanned cute guy's book, "that's $10."  

 

"Right."  Cute guy said, taking his book, "wanna meet once your shift is over and talk over coffee?" 

 

Samuel was surprised, but his mind was quickly filled with 'yes yes hell yes' on a loop, so he responded with, "sure."  Before quickly adding, "see you at 3, we can meet here if that's fine with you." He internally rejoiced at his own smoothness.

 

Cute guy beamed and Samuel nearly collapsed, "that works! See you!"  Samuel watched as he left the store, only turning around when he heard Jeonghan's laughter from his other side.  He quickly turned around and sent Jeonghan a death glare, before realizing a. He was blushing and b. He still had customers to check out.

 

At three Jeonghan and Joshua sent him off with teasing smiles.  Samuel internally face-palmed.  He expected the others to know in less than a minute.

 

A/n: ahhhhhhhhhh hi I'm back.  I decided to write this because I passed a store called Question Mart and I couldn't help myself.  Originally it was going to be another fluffy one shot, but I had inspiration after like a month of no inspiration so it's gonna be a chaptered fic! I think it'll have like five chapters but we'll see how that turns out.  Anyway as per usual, please excuse any mistakes and I hope you enjoy~