Chapter 2

Question Mart

When Daehwi reached Question Mart at three as promised, Samuel was just exiting the store.

 

"Hi Samuel."  Daehwi said awkwardly.  

 

Samuel turned around, "how do you know my name?"

 

"Uhh.  Your um."  Daehwi stuttered.  He couldn't think of the word!  Why couldn't he think of the word!?  

 

He gestured and eventually Samuel picked up on what he was trying to say,   "Oh!  My name tag!  You're right.  What's your name then?" 

 

"My name is Daehwi."  Daehwi smiled.

 

"Cute name.  Can we go get that coffee now?  I know a nice café about a block away."  Samuel suggested.

 

"Tough day at work?  Sure.  Lead the way."  Daehwi said, gesturing for Samuel to start walking.

 

Samuel started walking and Daehwi walked next to him.  As they talked, Daehwi listened to Samuel rant about his day.  "I was taking a nap after school and woke up after my shift started, and normally that would be fine y'know?  I've known Josh for like, ever, so he usually lets me off, but of course the one time I'm actually late Josh is off somewhere with his boyfriend so the shop is closed until I get there.  And so since the shop was closed for a little while, when I do open it, there's a brief rush which i then have to handle alone. And then Josh has the audacity to show up hand in hand with Jeonghan both looking like the happy in love fools they are and tell me off for not being there on time."

 

Daehwi nods in understanding, "aw that ."

 

Samuel nods and turns left at the corner, "doesn't it?"

 

The two of them are quiet for a second, and Daehwi speaks again as they enter the café, "how long have you known Josh for?  And what about your other friends?  Tell me about them."

 

"If you'll tell me about your friends."  Samuel says as they sit at an empty table.  Daehwi nods so Samuel starts talking again, "we'll out of all my friends I've known Josh for the longest.  He's about seven years older than me, but I've known since I was a baby.  He lived next to me and I was always the younger brother he never had.  And so of course my friends were always his friends despite them being way older than me.  And then at one point he sorta stopped making friends and his group of friends became really close.  That was him, Seungcheol, Wonwoo, Wonwoo's boyfriend Mingyu, and our other neighbor friend Vernon.  Nothing changed really, until he started dating Jeonghan.  Who brought in his friends, making their group thirteen people and me.  These days some other girls have been hanging out with them too, which is weird because they're all really gay, so I don't know how that happened."

 

Daehwi laughed, and the two of them paused to order drinks before Daehwi could respond.  "That's cool.  A lot of people, but cool.  I have a bunch of friends back in Korea too.  It was actually one of them who convinced me to come here.  My group of friends had a similar thing happen.  Like one day I walked into lunch and bam there were a bunch of girls I had never met sitting with my friends.  For us it was some sort of gay bond thing.  Like a 'there are only so many of us so let's be friends' type of thing.  Except a couple, quite literally, of the girls moved to somewhere in America a year ago.  Part of my reason for being here is to find them and say hi."

 

"Wow that's cool.  But America's a big country though.  How do you expect to find them?"  Samuel asked.

 

"Dunno.  I didn't get that far."  Daehwi shrugged.  Samuel laughed, and Daehwi thought it was the best thing he's ever heard.  

 

Their drinks came, and for a moment, they were both quiet, just drinking and stealing furtive glances at each other and looking away quickly whenever their eyes met.  

 

After that they talked more about their friends before branching out into things about themselves, minor and major.  Daehwi found out about Samuel's younger sister and told Samuel about how he had no siblings.  They talked for an hour after getting their drinks before the café staff told them to leave.  By then it was around 4:30 and they had to split ways, Daehwi to his mom who would surely start worrying soon, and Samuel to his friends and later his own house.  Before they parted ways, Samuel gave Daehwi his number and vise versa.

 

Walking home, Daehwi felt a smile spread to his face.  Not only did he go on an almost date with his crush, but he also got his number!  It took all of his self control to keep himself from skipping down the street.

 

As he walked back to Question Mart where he would be checking in with Josh and no doubt getting interrogated on how his totally-not-a-date went, Samuel smiled and held his phone tighter in his hand.  His phone that now had cute guy aka Daehwi's number in it.  He hoped Daehwi would come back to the store soon.  And if he did, maybe they could go on a real date this time...

 

A/n: and I'm back a day later.  I'm not going to be able to keep this up.  As usual, sorry for any mistakes and I hope you enjoyed~