STARTLING COINCIDENCE

twist in fate

 

It was her. Then suddenly, I felt conscious about everything. We stared at each other for about a minute, I don’t know, then maybe she recognized me that why she smiled at me and then looked at her mobile phone. Wow, I’m surprised to see her here at this moment, at this place and at this time. My heart’s beating fast, and I don’t know why. I felt that my cheeks are burning. I feel embarrassed. I’m oblivious why I felt this way. Something about her stares made me out for a moment. What is this that I’m feeling right now?

After having those deep thoughts in my mind, I came back to my senses. I planned to call Mommy Eula to ask where she is but then I just decided not to.  After some time, I leave my table to go to the restroom. My nervousness made me have my urge to urinate. In the restroom, I decided to call now my, mother but my phone suddenly rang.

It was Mommy Eula.

 

“AJ, where are you now?”

 

“I’m here already at the restaurant waiting for you. I’m in the restroom to be exact.”

 

“Oh! I see. I thought you’re not still there. I’m on my way now. I think I’m gonna be late. Someone will be joining us this evening too. It’s my niece.”

 

“Where are you at now, ma? Honestly, I’m starving. Well, just kidding about that. Btw, is your niece with you?”

 

“I’m just few blocks away. No, she’s not with me. I told her to come there. I’ll just call her don’t worry. I think I’m here already. I’ll just park. See you inside son.”

 

“Okay ma. I wait for you. I’m at the table near the window.”

 

“Okay. I’ll hang up now.”

 

After that call, I went back to my table. And yes, I can’t avoid passing the professor’s table. She smiled again at me, and I just smiled back. She must be waiting for someone since she hadn’t ordered any food yet. Maybe it’s her boyfriend. Since she’s really beautiful, and it’s impossible that she hasn’t got a boyfriend.  What a guy! Making his girlfriend wait for him. First, I feel envious about that bastard for having her as his girl. Great! Now I’m saying something that I’m not thinking. Do I really have something about her? Arghhh… I think I’m going to be crazy. I sit straight in my chair and look outside the window staring blankly at the city lights. Wow, it felt relaxing. Maybe, it really made me divert all my attention since I didn’t hear someone’s calling my name. Then, I felt someone tap me.

It was my Mommy Eula.

 

“Am, are you alright? It’s seems that you’re not in your right position now?”

 

“Oh! It’s you ma. Don’t worry I’m just exhausted.” Then I kissed her on the cheek. “Oh btw, ma where’s your niece? She didn’t come, right?”

 

“No, AJ. She’s here. Wait I’ll just call her. And because you your deep thinking, it’s obvious that you didn’t notice her.”

My mom called someone behind her. I didn’t look back since I’m lazy to look back anyway. Then, I heard footsteps approaching our table.

 

“AJ, I want you to meet my favorite niece, Cassie. Cassandra Lim.” My mom said.

 

My jaw slightly dropped. I absent-mindedly stood up. I’m not expecting this. I was stunned in my place. Just staring blankly at her. Then I felt someone tug me.

 

“AJ, are you really alright?”

 

I regained my composure. “Yes, mom. Really, I’m great.”

 

Of course that’s the opposite. When I looked at the young lady in front of me. That feeling come back again. I could feel my heart beats fast. I’m sweating cold (well, not that much), and I feel nervous.

However, I saw something in her eyes, a glint of amusement. Still something else, a look that is hard to decipher.

 

“Btw, Cassie, I haven’t still introduced you to my son. Cassie, this is Andrew James Lopez II formerly AJ Gonzales. Our adoptive son, however, he already found his biological parents still he’s always be my little AJ.” My mom said. With those words that she’d said, I feel embarrassed.


We shook hand. I felt her hands. It was so smooth, tiny and warm. I tried my best to let go of her hand immediately to avoid something. Then, after that my mom said something.

 

“AJ, Cassie is my niece that I’m talking you about. Wait, you already knew each other I presume?”

 

“Yes, Tita. In fact he helped me once when I’m in trouble.” She was the one who talked first.

 

“Oh! Is that true? Wow, you’re such a gentleman my son.” When my mom said that, I blushed.

“Oh dear, my son is blushing. Don’t feel embarrassed.”

 

“Tita, how can he be not embarrassed if you’re teasing him. Haha.”

 

“Oh! You’re right Cassie, but I can’t help it. He’s just a cute boy but now he’s grown in to handsome young man.”

 

“Okay ma. Do whatever you want. But please can we eat I’m starving, really starving.” Of course I just say that to have her stopped saying some embarrassing words more.

 

With that both my mom and Cassie laugh, and I really don’t know why. Maybe it’s because of what I’ve said but I don’t find any humorous bout what I’ve said.

 

After that, we ordered our food.