REVELATION

twist in fate

 

 

 

hat will happen if all the things that you believed in are all lies? What if the identity that you have is not going to last? What will you do? Would you scream? Would you curse everyone around you? Or would you question God why He had done this to you? These are the things that will make a person gone mad, isn’t it? Are you ready for it?

 

Let me start this by introducing myself to you. Btw, I’m Sophia Lopez, a graduating nursing student from a private university. If you’re curious about what do I look like, well I’m going to tell you now. I’m what you can call as a nerdy student, smart in some ways, tomboyish type but they said that I have looks if I dress well. I come from the upper middle class of this society. I’m the only child of my parents. I’m contented with my life on how it’s running but something is going to happen that would change my life forever.

This all started on my last semestral break in my last year. I felt pain in my hypogastric area that radiates throughout my abdomen. I was in severe pain and I can’t get up. I felt nervous, being in the medical field made me think that something worst might be happening inside my body so I called up my Mom whose still in her office and told her that I will be going to the hospital and I asked her to meet me there. When we arrive in a private hospital in our province in Negros Oriental, I was rushed in the E.R there. They took my vital signs, had me checked up but still didn’t knew what my condition is. My mother decided to bring me to Manila in a hospital in Taguig. A lot of test and exams was done to me. I was referred to Dr. Gonzales, a specialist or I should say a doctor for reproductive health and hormonal system specialist. She is a kind and beautiful middle aged lady. She patiently examined my condition until she comes to my room where I was waiting for her together with my mother.

 

“Hi Doc, good morning btw, I just finished eating my breakfast. Is there something you have to tell me? Have you figured out now my condition?” I said. I’m getting nervous about this part. I feel that something’s not right.

 

“Sophie, yes I’ve figured out now what is your condition but this might shock you.” Dr. Gonzales said.

 

“What is it Doc? Is something wrong with my daughter?” My mom said. I knew she was nervous alright which made me even more nervous.

 

“Lucy, Sophie has this condition called hermaphrodism. Hermaphrodite was used to describe any person incompatible with the biological gender binary, but has recently been replaced by inter in medicine. Inter is the presence of intermediate or atypical combinations of physical features that usually distinguish female from male. This is usually understood to be con, involving chromosomal, morphologic, and/or gonadal anomalies, such as diversion from typical XX-female or XY-male presentations, e.g., reversal (XY-female, XX-male), ambiguity, developmental differences. An inter individual may have biological characteristics of both the male and the female es. People with inter conditions sometimes choose to live exclusively as one or the other, using clothing, social cues, surgery, and hormone replacement therapy to blend into the they identify with more closely. Other kinds of inter conditions are identified immediately at birth because those with the condition have a ual organ larger than a oris and smaller than a . However, in some cases, it is not possible. A simultaneous (or synchronous) hermaphrodite (homogamy) is an adult organism that has both male and female ual organs at the same time. Usually, self-fertilization does not occur. Although they possess ovaries and testes, they have a protective mechanism against self fertilization.”

“What?!! Doc... You must be kidding me. I don’t believe it. You’re kidding right. I don’t have two es for Pete’s sake. I’m normal.”

 

“Dr. Gonzales, are you telling the truth I’m mean I’m her mother I should’ve known if she has this condition from the start but she doesn’t. When I’m pregnant with her, my gynaecologist and pediatrician didn’t say that there’s something wrong with her.” My mother said.

 

“Mrs. Lopez, what Sophie has is a very rare case of hermaphrodism.  In her case, it comes out late. That is why it was never been detected when she was just a newborn or during her childhood years.  She has a case of protogyny; where the organism starts as a female, and then changes to a male. This is her condition.  The only solution for this is surgery to remove the part that is not necessary. I’m sorry but that’s what I found out about her condition when we had our tests.” Dr. Gonzales replied.

 

“But doc, how would you explain that menstrual cycle that I have been having for the past six years now. I have my menses, I’ve been to puberty, and my s are growing. I have the same physique as that of a woman I have no traces of having a male organ or trait in my body.”

 

“Sophie, it’s because of the imbalance hormones that you had. The male hormones that you have are lesser compared to the female hormones in your body. And of course, you’ve got your menstrual cycle because you have ovaries, and as well you’ve got male reproductive organs hidden in your body.”

 

“But doc, still I can’t understand how I came into this situation. And this is not happening to me.”

 

“Mrs. Lopez, I need to talk to you in my clinic. Could you please come with me?”

“Yes, Dr. Gonzales. Sophie, I’ll be right back.”

 

Dr. Gonzalez and my mom talk for about an hour. I have a lot of things in my mind now. First is, why me? Of all people, why are these things happening to me? Has the world gone mad? What did I do for me to have this? It’s unbearable. For the first time in my life, I didn’t know what to do.  I’m really having the worst day in my entire day. It’s a lot to take in. When my mom come back to my room, she said that she want to talk to me. It’s about my current situation. After a while, Dr. Gonzales comes in the room. They must have sensed that I’m now in a more conversable mood.

 

“Honey, Dr. Gonzales and I have talked about your situation, and well, I have decided to have your surgery if you want to.”

 

“Sophie, in your case you just have to choose if you’ll remain as a girl or you want to have your male organs to remain. And you have a case of protogyny; where the human starts as a female, and then changes to a male.  And in this time, your body’s starting to change. If you decide to be a female, you’ll never get pregnant, because your male hormones will surge up.” Dr. Gonzales explained.

 

“We’ll give you time to decide. Don’t worry honey; I’ll be here to support you. And you’re father just called. I told him about your situation. And he said that he’ll support you on your decision. I’ll be just outside.”