thirteen: strawberry ice cream

Sweet Summer Escapade

"Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday yesterday?" I asked as we walk towards the sea. She suggested it first, telling me there's more to see.

 

"Why would I? We're not even close." She replied and there was a hint in her voice telling me not to pry on the question.

 

After her conversation with her brother, she looked bothered and she became quieter. It made me uncomfortable...and kind of worried about whatever situation she's in.

 

Before we reach the entrance to the white sand, an ice cream vendor caught our attention. I guess I saw him yesterday but I couldn't remember.

 

"Jin-ssi," Seulgi called and that was the first time I liked the sound of my name. I looked at her and she was smiling sheepishly.

 

"You said you'd treat me today, right?" She asked and before I could answer, she held my hand and dragged me towards the ice cream vendor.

 

"Can we have two, one strawberry with vanilla syrup and what about you, Jin-ssi?" She turned to me and for a second, I couldn't breathe.

 

"Jin-ssi?" She called and that was the time I managed to talk.

 

"I...the same as yours," I uttered and she pouted as she shook her head.

 

"Geez, you're not fun. Let me order for you. Hmmmm.. We'll have one mango topped with Caramel syrup." She ordered and the vendor nodded.

 

"Agassi, you seem to have a new company here today. That's really good. It also makes us sad seeing you alone after Kang-ssi passed away," the vendor commented while making our orders and glancing at us.

 

I looked at Seulgi and she smiled, this time I couldn't figure out if that was a real smile or a fake smile.

 

"I know right. This man is friendly and carefree. He is also funny and ignorant," she replied, as if starting to gossip about me.

 

"Here's your strawberry ice cream and your mango ice cream." He handed us our orders placed in a coconut husk, a plastic spoon pierced on top of the ice cream.

 

"I hope you'd always keep our Seulgi some company," the vendor said as he looked at me.

 

"Hayye, ajeossi. This guy's going to leave today. And I'm perfectly fine on my own." She replied before I could even respond. She's no fun, too.

 

"Yeah, ajeossi. I will keep her company," I smiled and held her hand as I dragged her towards a shade under a coconut tree.

 

"Ya, what are you doing?" She demanded, looking at our hands as I let her sit on the sand.

 

"What?" I retorted and she rolled her eyes.

 

"You're no fun, too. And what did you say a while back? Ignorant? Me? Wow! And what, I'm leaving today? Who told you I'm leaving?" I asked, half complaining and half demanding.

 

"Aren't you? You asked me to let you stay for just one night. So aren't you supposed to leave today?" She asked, looking up at me. I realized I'm still standing.

 

I sat down and faced the sea as I started to eat my ice cream.

 

"I'm not. I have nowhere to go. I haven't planned to go anywhere yet. I mean this is the only safe place I could be," I replied. I felt her look at me and I remained looking at the sea.

 

"You remember what I told you about Feng ajeossi? About him lying about enjoying his freedom?" I nodded to her query.

 

"Won't you feel the same? Won't you regret not going back?" She asked and soon as I looked at her, I saw in her eyes my own reflection and I looked happy and free.

 

"Who knows? I just want to find a reason to be me again." I sighed heavily and looked back at the sea.

 

"I mean...you are still lucky. You have your parents with you and even if they kicked you out once, they took you back. That wasn't even kicking you out completely because if they really didn't care about you at all, they wouldn't have sent you to your butler's home. And about your dream of becoming an actor that you said yesterday, I don't see your point of seeing your inheritance of your family business as a barrier. You can still reach for your dreams while being an heir. You have the power and you can control time, if you really wish to pursue your own dreams while fulfilling your parents' dream for you." I pondered on everything she said and I started to realize her point which I failed to see.

 

"You're really lucky because you're the one who kicked yourself out of their lives. For me, I was the one they kicked out just because they wanted me to stay with my real father who was ill. Though I consider it some kind of unluckiness, I guess that was still for the best because I got to spend time with my real Dad, catching up from our lost time." I saw her tears fall down but she quickly wiped it off as she took three spoonful of her ice cream, I realized our ice creams have started to melt. So I also took a spoonful of it.

 

We remained quiet as we ate our ice creams. I thought that was the best thing to do.

 

After a few more minutes of silence, she stood up, looking at me.

 

"Let's go," she said and I gave her a puzzled look.

 

"Where?"

 

"I'll show you something amazing." She replied and before I knew it, we were walking towards the rocky part of the town.