twelve: asking her out

Sweet Summer Escapade

"Do you have other costumers besides the kids who just left?" I asked and she shrugged.

 

"Sometimes yes, sometimes none." She answered and a curve formed in my lips as an idea popped in my mind.

 

"Then we should call it a day from work. I wanted to sightsee and stroll around in this island today and I need some company." I was trying to tell her not too straightforwardly, I was expecting her to smile but instead, she frowned.

 

"You can go alone. Don't even think of interrupting my business." She sneered and I pouted.

 

"You're no fun. Ya! It was your birthday yesterday but you worked overtime because of me. Let me at least treat you for causing you trouble on your birthday." The words just slipped out of my mouth without me even thinking for a while.

 

"How did you know it was my birthday yesterday?" She demanded. My eyes landed on the paper bag and it saved my life, bigtime!

 

"I just saw it from the note on the paper bag you brought in after talking to the guy earlier." I replied and she seemed to understand the situation.

 

"So shall we head out?" I hesitated but still signaled towards the entrance.

 

She sighed in resignation and closed her book, placed it in her sling bag and took her keys.

 

"You'd better treat me with something sweet today," she said and I nodded, a wide smile plastered on my lips.