The Song

Our Silver Lining
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you still going to be able to come to my performance?" Rose asked Junhoe, her boyfriend of 3 years.

Rose was having her first singing performance in an outdoor mall. It was small, but it was like a talent show. People signed up for what they wanted to showcase either for fun or in hopes that they'll get signed under a record label. Rose was just doing it for fun.

"Of course I'll be there. Wouldn't miss it for the world. Tell me again why you're doing this?" Junhoe said through the phone.

"I just need my message to be reached to him. I can't keep living with these feelings jarred up. I'm gonna start to lose my hair because of the stress!" Rose exclaimed through the phone.

"Alright, my love, whatever you say. I'm for it 100%," Junhoe said.

Rose smiled and laughed.

"What happened?" Junhoe asked because of her sudden laughter.

Junhoe was already a goofy boyfriend and calling Rose "my love" still gave her butterflies. It's such a Junhoe things to say.

"Nothing, nothing. Thanks, love. I'll see you at 7. I love you," Rose said.

"I love you too."

 

 

"Vital signs are good so far. It's hard to tell what she can remember, that's something you have to figure out yourself. Seems to me like she was one of the luckier ones. Most people forget everything, even their names. She at least knows who she is," the doctor said to Junhoe.

As soon as Rose woke up, the nurse was alerted and the doctor came in before he could get another word out, inturrupting their conversation.

Dr. Kim asked Junhoe to talk in the privacy of her office and ordered the nurses to run tests on Rose in the meantime.

The thought of being separated from Rose again didn't settle well with Junhoe, but he knew that it was important to talk to Dr. Kim.

"How are you Junhoe?" asked Dr. Kim with a small smile and matching eye bags as him.

Junhoe sat back into the chair and sighed heavily, teary eyed.

"I'm just....I'm just so happy shes finally awake," and there was a lingering 'but' that made Dr. Kim look up from the papers she was writing on.

"..but..? What happened?" The doctor asked with growing concern.

He couldn't get himself to say it. There was a lump in his throat and he didn't want to believe that Rose forgot about him.

"Doc, she..she doesn't remember me.." Junhoe let a tear slip out and he bit his lip trying to prevent more from exiting his eyes.

"In two months, it'll be four years since I asked her to be my girlfriend. On our third anniversary...well the whole accident happened and it should have been me instead of her. God if I had just made sure to protect her properly then this could have all been avoided," Junhoe confided in Dr. Kim. She took her glasses off and put them off to the side.

"Jun-ah. It could have been anyone, but it shouldn't have been anyone. We've been through this before. There was no way you could have prevented a drunk driver coming from the opposite lane. They got what they deserved--"

"But did Rose? Did she get what she deserved? I just don't unerstand why it was her instead of me, Doc..."

Then there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," said Dr. Kim, putting her glasses back on.

"Sorry for the interruption, Dr. Kim. Here are Ms. Park's test results," the nurse said while handing the doctor the folder.

"Thank you," Dr. Kim said whie dismissing the nurse, leaving them alone again.

Dr. Kim pulled out the pile of papers from the folder. On top were x-rays of Rose's entire body, especially her head and brain. There were also other papers with information that Junhoe didn't understand because it was written in doctor language. Dr. Kim pulled out the x-rays, MRI scans, and all that stuff Junhoe didn't really know. He was still focused on Rose.

As the doctor was describing what happened to Rose and explaining the "what happens now" part of the conversation, Junhoe was still dumbfounded. He couldn't believe what was going on and what he saw. He wanted to break down right then and there because he just couldn't believe that Rose had lost that much of her memory.

"As I said before, it's hard to tell what's been retained and what hasn't, but what I can say is that she has a moderate chance that she could lose all of memories within the next 6 months. In other words, if you can help her remember anything as soon as possible, she has a good chance of retaining all of her memories quickly since her scans show that she didn't have as much damage as we thought she did."

Junhoe sighed in relief knowing that she could be saved.

"However, just because she remembers, doesn't mean she might be the same person she was prior to the accident," Dr. Kim finished.

Junhoe frowned again. He didn't want Rose to remember everything, but not be in love with him anymore. He didn't want her to change her mind about him. He was scared that she might not give him another chance.

"Don't worry Junhoe. I know you can do it. And even if she isn't the same person, she can still love you back. The accident didn't kill her. Yes, she did lose some precious memories, but they can be retained in no time. This will be difficult, but I've seen you pretty much every day for the past 10 months and you're not a quitter. You're a fighter just like Rose and you two are meant to be. It takes time. I'll be here if you need me too," Dr. Kim said.

He thanked Dr. Kim for everything after th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter