Strings [Henry]

슈퍼주니어 Super Junior Mini Love Stories ♥

Strings [Henry]

 

Super Junior Mini Love Story #4

“Strings”

 

Characters: Henry & Mina [OC]

 

***

 

 

It has been 5 weeks since school started for another year. I was determined to make this year count. I want to impress my classmates, I want my teachers to be proud and most of all I want my parents to be content. I want to get amazing grades this year and I also want to be perfect with being a musician.

 

I’m aspiring to be a really good violinist someday. My violin is my most prized possession and playing it is my sole hobby. Every year, the head of music chooses the violinist in the whole school to compete with other schools. I always seem to miss my chance every time so this year, I will make sure that I’ll get to compete and I’ll win.

 

The bell rang indicating the start of class. All of my classmates were present and no one was late which was quite a big surprise. My teacher entered the classroom a few minutes later. Two things I noticed are that she was smiling brightly and she wasn’t on her own. A boy my age followed her into the classroom. He wasn’t Korean but he looked more Chinese. He was very dashing I must say.

“Good morning class. I would like to introduce to you Henry Lau. He’ll be joining your class from now on. Please give him a warm welcome,” Our teacher announced.

“Annyeong haseyo,” We greeted Henry.

“Annyeong haseyo, please take care of me.” He bowed.

 

The rest of the morning carried on with me trying hard not to get distracted by the new boy. He was very friendly and was very glad to tell everyone about his life back in China. Apparently he and his family just moved here a week ago. Other than that, I don’t know much about him. When school finished for the day, I was grinning from ear to ear as it was time for my private violin lessons.

 

The next day I was by my locker organizing my books.

At the corner of my eye, I saw someone approaching.

“Good morning,” Someone said. I turned my head and saw Henry smiling sweetly at me.

“Hello Henry!” I smiled back at him. It was hard not to smile back at him. His smile was very contagious.

“Your name is Mina right?”

“Ne,” I responded shyly.

“I heard from our classmates that you are the best violinist here in the school and I was wondering if you could teach me how to play the violin?” He requested.

He looked at me with puppy eyes and I knew straight away that I wouldn’t be able to decline his request.

“Of course, do you have a violin?” I asked.

“I do, my parents gave me one for Christmas. They know how much I’d love to learn.” He grinned.

“That’s good. Well I’d love to teach you what I know but I gotta tell you that I’m still sort of a beginner so--”

“Beginner? You didn’t sound like a beginner when I heard you practicing in the auditorium yesterday…” Henry said.

“Oh-- you heard me?” I gulped.

“Ne! You are really great!” He smiled some more.

 

From that day on, I was Henry’s violin teacher. During the weekends he would come over to my house and I’d teach him how to play. We also get together after my private violin lessons everyday after school. He’s a really good student; he learns very quickly and he’s very eager to learn. Teaching him violin made us really close and 3 weeks past and everyone noticed that we were very close to each other. We were inseparable.

 

“Hey Mina! I brought you your favourite strawberry milkshake!” Henry called.

“Gomawo Henry-ssi,” I grinned and took the carton of strawberry milk from his hands.

“Hey Mina…” Henry called again.

“Hmmm?” We were in the library and I was trying to study for our pop quiz in History.

“Shall we cancel violin lessons this Saturday?” Henry mentioned. I looked up at him in confusion.

“Wae??” I tilted my head to the side.

“I think we should hang out.” he whispered shyly.

I noticed that he had started blushing.

“We always hang out.” I mused.

“Giving me violin lessons aren’t hanging out,” He pouted.

“What do you wanna do then?” I giggled.

“I dunno~ anything.” He shrugged and then grinned.

“Aish~ Henry!” I shook my head at him.

 

 

The next day…

 

Henry was called into the teacher’s lounge just as our last lesson was finishing. I didn’t have private violin lessons today after school so when the bell rang, I headed straight to the teacher’s lounge to get Henry. The door was open so I took the liberty to walk in. I saw Mr. Kim; the head of music talking to Henry. Henry had his back to me so I just hanged back and waited patiently for him. I couldn’t help but overhear their conversation.

 

Mr. Kim: “We’re so glad that you are now a student of this school.”

Henry: “Thank you very much. I was treated very well from the first day I started. Kamsahamnida! *bows*”

Mr. Kim: “That is our pleasure, really. Anyway I called you in here to discuss your previous experience at your old school. I saw on your files that you are the best violinist in your past school?”

Henry: “I don’t think I am the best sir,”

Mr. Kim: “Oh come on, you were entered into 17 competitions and you won all of them! I would like to ask you to enter this year’s music competition and represent our school.”

Henry: “I would love to sir but isn’t Lee Mina the one you’re going to enter this year?”

Mr. Kim: “Oh yes I was but you’re better than her. Will you represent our school?”

Henry: “Umm okay sir.”

 

That was when I walked out of the place. My hands were balled into fists and I felt so angry and somewhat betrayed. Henry lied to me. But I don’t understand why.

I started walking down the hallway to get out of the school grounds. A few moments later, I heard Henry calling my name but I decided to ignore him.

“Hey! Are you okay?” He said when he caught up with me.

“No. Leave me alone.” I snapped at him.

He grabbed my arm and stopped me from walking further away from him.

“What’s the matter?” He asked in concern.
“You lied to me.” I pointed out.

“What? What are you talking about?” He gulped.

“You’re already a professional violinist and you didn’t tell me. Why did you lie to me? Why did you make me give you those violin lessons? Did you enjoy me making a fool of myself?” I blabbered.

“No, no of course not! I asked for those violin lessons because I wanted to get to know you. I wanted to get close to you.” He explained.

“Whatever Henry,” I shook him off and ran away.

 

 

1 week later…

 

It was the day of the competition. I obviously didn’t want to go but my friends forced me to go. The competition was held in our school grounds and the place was packed because students and teachers from other schools also came to watch. I haven’t spoke to Henry since I found he lied to me. He tried calling me, texting me and even went to my house a couple of times. All I know is that our friendship or whatever we had is over.

 

A couple of contestants have performed and when it was Henry’s turn, I started fidgeting in my seat. I was itching to leave. As Henry was on stage, I looked anywhere but there. Instead of just performing straight away, Henry spoke on the microphone getting everyone’s attention.

“I’d just like to dedicate this song to a very special girl.” He started.

My stomach churned and I was suddenly frozen on my seat. “I’m so sorry for what I’ve done. I hope you can forgive me. This is for you.” Henry finished and then he started performing “You Light up My Life” with his violin.

 

My heart melted as I listened to him play the beautiful song. He looked like he was really into his performance. He was really brilliant. It is very sweet of him to dedicate this for me. When he finished, the audience were on their feet cheering and applauding Henry.

“What are you still doing here Mina?” My friend Chun Hei nudged me. Henry was now leaving the stage.

“What do you mean??” I mused.

“Go backstage and tell him you forgive him!” Chun Hei pushed me forward.

“FINE!” I stuck my tongue out at her.

I then pushed past people and ran backstage.

 

“Henry?” I called. “Henry?? Are you here?”

“Mina?” He appeared from a corner.

“Hey, that was a great performance.” I told him.

“Thank you.” He smiled sweetly. “I’m sorry for everything. I just had to know you. I wanted to get to know you so bad. I couldn’t come up with any other reason just to approach you.” He explained.

“I forgive you~” I smiled at him.

“I mean this competition means nothing to me. If I lose, I don’t care-- wait you forgive me?” He gasped.

“Ne,” I giggled. “I mean I thought your plan was to get in this competition and win it.”

“I don’t care about winning this. I care about winning your heart.” He said.

Henry’s face lit up and he went closer to give me a hug.

“I love you Mina~”

“I love you too Henry~”

 

Sure I didn’t get to compete in the competition. I didn’t win a trophy or a medal. But I got won something much more valuable.

 

I won Henry’s heart and he won mine.

 

***