Picture 23: Amendments

Polaroid

Luhan slowly turned the page, his eyes dragging alongside the words on the page. Piles of books surrounded him on his bed, some that he finished, others half done because he had lost interest. Luhan sighed for the forth time in two minutes and gently closed the current book he was trying to read. He set it aside, bringing his legs closer to his body. He was trying to read but his eyes just glazed over the words on the page while his thoughts were somewhere else. He hadn't the slightest clue what the last couple chapters were about

Luhan was sitting in his canopy bed, the curtains drawn around him, giving him privacy. His grandfather was downstairs, most likely in his big armchair. He would be flipping through a newspaper, ruffling it every once in a while as he turned the flimsy paper. Luhan blinked when he heard the faint rumble of a car pulling up into the driveway. He strained his ears, listening as the doors shut. The pathway up to the main door was made up of gravel so Luhan could hear the footsteps.

He slowly made his way out of bed, knowing that if grandfather had guests, Luhan would be expected of to take care of them. Like get them water, coffee and tend to their needs. It was so Luhan could learn good manners and hospitality, now it's just a habit. He looked at himself in the mirror, cringing when he saw a pair of bloodshot eyes looking back at him. His eye bags were deeper than he had remembered. Was his skin always that dull?

The guests must have rung the doorbell because the sound echoed around the large house. Luhan waited until he was called downstairs. He could hear faint mumbling but the house was too big, his room too far away, to understand what they were saying. Luhan only had to wait another minute before he heard knocking on his door. Luhan stared at his reflection, smoothing down his messy hair before opening the door.

A maid bowed lowly as soon as Luhan swung the door open, "Your grandfather requests you to come downstairs. The guests....they say they are here for you."

Luhan's heart jumped to his throat, could it be?

He shook his head, no. He mustn't think like this. A week and a half went by already. He was stronger than this. He would not succumb to his fantasies. Luhan bowed to the maid and made his way downstairs. He felt oddly nervous. With each step he descended, his heart beat faster. Then he heard it. That familiar voice.

That wonderful, silky voice. The one that had whispered so many promises to him, so many jokes and so many teases. Luhan sped up.

He heard another voice, deeper, more cheerful. A joyous sound to Luhan's ears as he heard multiple laughed.
Luhan's eyes began to prick with tears.

There was no way....

Luhan raced down the stairs, almost sliding a couple times in his slippers. He turned the corner desperately, running towards the main living room.

He burst through the doorway, his chest heaving.
A familiar smile greeted him.
Actually, four familiar smiles.

"Luhan..."

The black haired male barely got out a whisper before Luhan launched himself at him. The pink haired male didn't care how insane he looked. He just sobbed into those familiar arms. The arms that he had been craving for so badly.

"Shh....it's okay, I'm here." Sehun cooed as he gently rubbed Luhan's back. The smaller male had his face buried in the crook of Sehun's neck and his legs wrapped tightly around his lithe waist.

Sehun could feel Luhan's lips ghosting over his skin, mouthing two words over and over again.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

Sehun felt his own eyes tear up. He finally had Luhan back in his arms. He pressed heavy kisses on the smaller' head, cradling him like he was the most precious object in the world. Luhan was crying into Sehun's shoulder as the taller male held the back of his head tightly, his eyes squeezed shut.

This was what heaven was for Sehun.

This was what home was for Luhan. 

"Alright let go, it's my turn."

Sehun laughed bitterly as he let go of Luhan painstakingly. The smaller male whined at the lose of contact but Kyungsoo quickly pulled him into a tight hug. "You , you stupid fluff-brain idiot." Kyungsoo spat out as he cradled Luhan. Luhan just relaxed in the latter's muscular hold.

"My turn my turn!" Chanyeol picked Luhan up easily in one swoop, hugging him tightly. Luhan wheezed as his toes left the ground.
"Oh god, you're killing him." Jongin said, pulling on Chanyeol's sweater.

Luhan laughed as Jongin brought him into his arms, "I missed you angel..." the tan male whispered so that only Luhan could hear. Luhan squeezed Jongin ever so slightly, making sure the male knew that Luhan missed him as well.

Sehun was quick to pull Luhan back into a bone crushing hug. Luhan just smiled, hiding his face in Sehun's wide chest.

"What is going on!"

Everyone froze. In the excitement of getting Luhan back, they had completely forgotten the sixth person in the room.

"Luhan what is the meaning of this?"

Sehun gently let go of Luhan. But the latter didn't want to pull away. Instead he just turned around, prompting Sehun to hold onto his waist tightly. He snuggled into the taller's side as he took in the musky scent of his boyfriend. Luhan pointed to Kyungsoo, Chanyeol and Jongin.
"Grandfather these are my best friends."

His grandfather frowned, "But you said-"

"I lied."

Jongin pouted, "Come on angel, you didn't tell your Grandpa about us?"

Luhan's grandfather looked shocked. He stared at Jongin who quickly dropped his playful smile from his face.

"You understand him?" The old man asked in heavily accented Korean.

Kyungsoo bowed lowly and switched languages, "Good afternoon Sir. My name is Kyungsoo and this is Chanyeol and Jongin. We are your grandson's closest friends. We all have been trying to learn sign language for his sake."

Grandfather looked flustered before pointing to Sehun. Luhan slowly signed three words. "Sehun, my boyfriend."

The newspaper in grandfather's hand slipped and hit the floor in a sickening, soft thud.


 

 

"How long."

Sehun stopped Luhan from entering the living room and took the glass of water from him. Luhan smiled and let Sehun deliver the water to his grandfather.

"Almost two months now sir." Sehun said handing the glass to the man's outstretched hand.

The old man took the glass, not realizing who gave it to him. When he did he froze. Sehun blinked. Grandfather scoffed and downed the contents of the glass in seconds, "Why did you hide them from me?"

Luhan frowned, "You always isolated me. Never let me make friends, even the maids who got too close, you had fired."

Grandfather winced.

"Grandfather, these four had done so much for me in the past school year. I wouldn't be able to survive college without them. Even my roommate knows sign language. No one treated me differently like you said they would."

Grandfather stood up shakily. Chanyeol went to help steady him but the old man raised a hand. The brown haired male stopped in his tracks, "I was only trying to protect you." Luhan's grandfather said slowly, one hand coming up to caress Luhan's cheek, "I'm so sorry my little flower, everything that I've done, everything I've said, I wanted to keep you safe and happy."

Luhan stepped backwards, a frown etched on his face, "Not allowing me to have friends did not keep me safe and happy."

Luhan's grandfather let out a shaky sigh. He took off his rounded thick glasses and slid them into his front pocket, "Luhan...your mother and father, they were disappointments."

Luhan tensed.

"When you were born, you did not cry. You gasped a couple times before staying quiet, staring at everyone in the room with big, wide, eyes. Such light in your eyes. Your mother and father didn't understand why you were so quiet. While other kids babbled on about nonsense, you didn't utter a single word."

The old man took Luhan's hands in both of his wrinkly ones, "Once your parents found out, they wanted to leave you at an orphanage, on the doorstep of some random building with twenty other children. I refused. I took you in and I raised you like you were my own. Your mother is a disgrace and I still haven't forgiven her for the grave mistake she was about to make."

Luhan's heart threatened to pound right out of his chest. His grandfather...the one that seemed to hate him, chose Luhan over his own daughter.

Grandfather looked Luhan in the eye, "I never meant to hurt you. I just didn't want you to feel pain."

Luhan's heart ached. Was it possible he had misinterpreted his grandfather all these years? The old man was only looking out for him, so he wouldn't get hurt the way the latter was.

Luhan surprised his grandfather when he jumped into his arms, hugging him tight. His grandfather was quick to tighten his arms around the smaller male.

The others watched the heartwarming scene as grandfather and grandson finally made amends.


 Instagram    Tumblr