Consultation

The Peach Blossom That Found Paradise
B96xcO8.png
Consultation
❝"My empty space gets filled up with your color that is faint and dazzling; beautiful, warm, mysterious." - 도원경 (桃源境)❞
Wonshik strolled home to his new quarters; his mind filled as he took in the setting afternoon sun that was ironically the most beautiful he had ever seen it. He expected something to change. What exactly? He was unsure. All he knew was that he had changed, his world had changed and yet the paradise-like world he inhabited stayed exactly as it was.

Eventually, his home came into view; all was still as he wished it to be. Weeks upon weeks he had refused company, content to dwell on the woman he loved and get much needed space from his older brother. Yes, he was content to be on his own but right then, he could not get rid of the niggling feeling at the back of his mind that told him that he had never been so lonely before. Shrugging off his thoughts with sluggish movements, Wonshik decided to seat himself at the table placed directly outside his home, the process of preparing himself for dinner greatly delayed. Reaching into his still pristine white sleeve, he removed his gold-rimmed eyeglasses as though they would serve a greater purpose than staring into the abyss for an unallocated period of time.

So attuned was he to naught but his revolving thoughts and the background noise of birds chirping, that he did not notice the purposeful footsteps making their way over to him. He jolted when he suddenly heard a dull thud right next to his chair and looked up dazed to find his second brother standing there with a half glare.

“You forgot some of your things with Hyuk.” Taekwoon supplied simply and Wonshik peered down to find a sack of what he assumed to be some of his clothes.

He had not seen his brother since their relationship had become strained and so, he felt his throat dry up along with any words of thanks that he wished to extend. Seemingly content with the lack of response, Taekwoon moved to perch himself on the wall of his home, his presence heavy and the atmosphere oppressive. Neither knew what to say and found it better to keep it that way.

After a long and dragged out silence, Taekwoon began walking away from him and years spent with his quieter older brother, he knew it was a sign for him to follow.

They walked, one behind the other, their surroundings quiet in respect of the tensions between them. Recognition lit up his features when he took note of the abandoned building his brother had led them to. In their younger years, all six princes had been physically trained in the art of fighting in the simply built structure. Though it was barely ever used now, it had yet to fall into disrepair. The wooden sliding doors held their lacquered shine and the paper-like material lining them were still intact.

As soon as they had entered, his older brother, ironically dressed in a calming blue to his fiery red had stormed towards him, pinning him painfully to the nearest wall, Taekwoon’s fists balled up in the delicate fabric of his jeogori. Though his brother never had what would be called the most expressive face, his dark eyes in that moment burned like fire. Had he ever been this infuriated?

“Can you not leave well enough alone? She is mine.” Taekwoon lowly said, his voice never losing its smooth timbre.

Though he wished to be surprised by his brother’s physical attack, Wonshik was more surprised by the fact that he could not seem to speak. His mind yelled at him to speak but he found no way to refute his brother’s cocksure words. For once their roles were reversed.

Rudely interrupting his internal dialogue, Wonshik was violently pushed to the floor, fortunately missing the miscellaneous things filling the latter part of the room. Still his head hit the mat with a dull force and the young man held his mussed hair for short-term relief.

“What are you hoping to achieve by seeing her?!” the soft voice of Taekwoon raised steadily as he once again grabbed his brother and shoved him against the firm wall, his body half slumped. “Tell me!” the outraged voice implored.

At his limit, Wonshik looked his brother head on, “I wanted her to look at me the way she looks at you! That was all I wanted.” he answered furiously, unsure who his anger was directed at. He remembered the events of earlier and he felt himself despair all over again, whatever fight he had in him left. He shrugged his brother’s hold off of him. “I went to her earlier, looking for some sort of sign that she felt the same; that I was special…she was as kind as she always was, her smile as beautiful as ever but…” Wonshik shook his head; attempting to forget the distance he felt when he had kissed her forehead.

“I am sorry.” the apology was said so quietly that Wonshik thought he misheard at first until his older brother slumped against the wall next to him. He had no doubt that the expression on his brother’s face was one of guilt. Taekwoon let out a huff of ironic laughter. “Father was right. We were bound to be hurt by pursuing her.”

Wonshik merely looked at him quizzically.

“You have tried in vain to win her affections and I have become the person our people once escaped. There is no excuse for how I treated you. I do not know what overcame me.” the older between them looked at his hands as though he could see something his younger brother could not.

“You are not blameless.” Wonshik replied, releasing a sigh. “I said things to you I never thought I ever would – still I forgive you. I do not wish for us to feud over something like this.” he admitted. Unaccustomed to such unpleasantness left Wonshik feeling uneasy. His world – now seeming small since (F/n) arrived – felt disturbed in a way he never experienced before.

“As do I.” Taekwoon responded, his hushed voice attempting to fill the invisible gap between them.

But it did not.


You wrung your hands, unable to keep still. Ever since you realized that you did not feel the same about Wonshik and that you absolutely missed Taekwoon, you felt restless. As you waited for Areum, you attempted to make sense of your exact feelings toward the brothers. You knew now that you loved Taekwoon. Love? Yes, you were certain that was the almost crushing feeling in your chest; that boundless excitement to, even for just a moment, look upon his lovely face again. It was as if something had sparked within you. You suddenly had the urge to hear his musical voice speak, to smell his musky floral scent, to make him shy so he would laugh into his hands and you would have the perfect view of the crown of his voluminous hair. You knew he too, was in love with you and wished so to see that smile he wore whenever you came into view. Your smile faulted when you noted a pang at the edge of your heart that resulted in your restlessness. You wished you could have stopped Wonshik from placing the kiss on your forehead. You had been so dazed by your realization that you had been late in realizing what it meant. The fourth prince was a wonderful man that you knew but to have his affections when it had become so wholly obvious that it felt as though Taekwoon was the sole purpose for your heart beating was unfair to him.

At that moment your eyes caught the ever present red camellias sitting innocently on their designated place. Your heart sank. More than seeing him, you needed to return the beautiful flowers to their rightful owner. You almost wished he would turn up at your door once more so you could explain but you were not ready to see him just yet.

“I apologize for my tardiness; I did not know it was so late!” Areum’s cheerful yet apologetic voice travelled from your front door.

You had forgotten about dinner.

“It is understandable.” you replied kindly, seating yourself in a position convenient for your aide.

As Areum began telling you of her day and other stories she had heard, you began to feel increasingly disagreeable to the idea of attending dinner for the first time since you had arrived. The mere thought of having to seat yourself between the man you have come to love and the one who you could not left a knot of anxiety in the pit of your stomach; killing off whatever hunger you had.

You paused your aide’s flawless work on your hair.

“I think I must be the one to apologize this time Areum but I do not think I could attend dinner this evening.” you stated, an apologetic smile on your face.

The younger woman looked at you with wild eyes. “B-but you cannot! What about the king?” she loudly asked, astounded that someone would even wish to skip their time old tradition.

“Please pass along my remorse to the king. I am feeling unwell, I think I have not been getting the rest I require.” you replied calmly. While that was not the case at all, you were beginning to feel the exhaustion of the unexpected situation.

Seeming to take note of your lethargic appearance, Areum sighed. “Of course. Do you need me to bring you anything later this evening?” the young woman kindly offered, now looking concerned.

You shook your head. “No thank you, sleep is all I need.” you thanked your aide and promptly watched her leave not too long after.


You awoke early the next morning, filled with determination and purpose. The ever present spring breeze and chirping birds made you feel hopeful that whatever was to transpire today would turn out for the better. Feeling rested, you immediately began making quick work of readying yourself for the first time in months. You chose a light spring color that was unoffending and pleasing to the eye and simply braided your hair in a neat style.

Not wishing to create a misunderstanding by lugging the camellias around, you first asked the nearest person where Wonshik was to be found; unsurprisingly he was at the river. Racing back to your home, you collected the potted plants and like a horse with blinders, you walked to the river.

Before you spotted the prince, you were taken with the beauty of the place as you always were. The trees were alive with green and the colors of their blossoms, the grass was vibrant and the water seemed to be sparkling.

“Good morning.” you meekly greeted the prince who had his back toward you.

Unusually he chose to wear dark colors, a beautifully embroidered fan held behind his back. When he turned to you, his face agreeable, benevolent and handsome, you wondered how it was that you were unable to return his feelings.

“Morning.” he greeted accompanied by a dazzling smile that showed off his beautiful teeth.

“I…” you did not imagine that it would be so difficult to explain, “I did not want there to be any misunderstandings between us.” is what you decided on. “My mind was abuzz yesterday so I could not stop you before you left. I hope I have not given you the wrong impression. You have been most kind to me and I do not want to take advantage of that. You are dear to me, that is why I forgave you and why it was I was grateful for these beautiful flowers that I am unworthy of. However…I must make it clear that though I wish it were not the case…I cannot return your affections.” you could not bear to see his crestfallen face and so instead, you focused your eyes on the plump red petals of the camellias that you now held out for the prince to relieve you of.

You let out a breath you did not know you were holding when the pot was removed from your faltering grasp. What you were not expecting was a deep chuckle coming from Wonshik. You looked up to the man, wondering what was so humorous.

“I know.” he replied simply and your eyes widened. Wonshik closed the distance between you, his index finger drawing an imaginary line under each of your eyelashes. “It is in your eyes. The way you look at my brother does not compare to the way you looked at me. I should not have kissed you yesterday – I know that now. For that I am sorry.” the prince did not lose his placating smile.

You shook your head. “It is my fault entirely. I did not know my own feelings until the day before and because of it I led-” you apologized only to find yourself interrupted.

“I knew.” Wonshik reiterated. “I thought I could sway your feelings toward me but I see I have only caused the both of us unnecessary heartache.” he explained, seeming years older than he was.

“But I…” one look at the man and you sighed. In a moment both of you cracked a smile and before you knew it, laughter had broken out, melting the tension away. “We both are fools are we not?” you said, filled with amusement.

“We are.” Wonshik readily agreed. “Sincerely…I want you to be happy. Though I cannot yet say I am comfortable with the idea of you being with Taekwoon, I also know the life you led before arriving here. Because of that, I wish every happiness for you.” the taller man said, his laughter having sobered up.

“I do as well.” you gave him your warmest smile. “It may not seem that way right now, but one day you will find the woman who will make me seem as nothing more than a vague memory.”

“I doubt it.” he joked, nudging you with his elbow.

“You say that now.” you chuckled, the heavy weight on your chest all but disappeared.

“Can I walk you home?” Wonshik asked politely, no agenda nuancing his words.

“When last have we seen Peach Blossom?” you asked instead, your grin never quite leaving.

“Good idea.” the prince answered as though you had asked him the meaning of life.

As you strolled to the stables with the man who had been your greatest ally since you arrived, the chaotic air that seemed to surround the paradise-like world, dissipated.


A/N: I must confess I feel slightly awkward uploading this chapter over the misunderstanding of the last. In my oversight, I didn't realize that not including the confrontation in the last chapter would lead to confusion. Simply put, Reader isn't trying to play the field. ^^;; Anyway, the first half is basically an historical AU of the 'Whisper' MV's beginning and ending sequences. The last part with Ravi is inspired by this scene in 'Shangri-la' MV below. Even so, please enjoy this olive branch.

gsPXueB.png