The Multifaceted Triangle

The Peach Blossom That Found Paradise
B96xcO8.png
The Multifaceted Triangle
❝"The night asks me how I'm doing, then the red cammellia that resembles you gets jealous." - 도원경 (桃源境)❞
You lay on your bed, utterly exhausted. You lazily watched the afternoon sun setting while attempting to ignore the throb of your arms from the overuse of your crutches. Though you had spent the day lavishly painting under the guidance of Hongbin, your energy as of late had been more depleted than usual. You were unsure of what prompted it but more and more you would find Taekwoon and Wonshik wishing to spend more time with you – even though it was not their day to be there. At first you had been flattered; you obviously enjoyed the princes company but between the days of horse riding and sitting underneath apple trees, you were worn-out. It did not help that there seemed to be some unresolved tension between the brothers. It was not wholly obvious but, like everything that is left to fester, the nuanced dislike was becoming harder to keep under wraps. Often you found yourself looking to the other princes for answers but every time you had been given a placating yet dazzling smile to continue on as before.

Your eyes fell on the newest bunch of red camellias and you smiled. Whoever seemed to have placed them there had taken great care in ensuring they looked as beautiful as they would have in their natural habitat. For some reason, you felt comfort whenever your eyes gazed upon the flowers. It was a sign that someone looked out for you; cared for you even. In turn, you showered each arrival with such care that the sender might as well have been watching you. You had yet to water the flowers and knowing Areum was to come soon, you pulled whatever strength you had left to grab a watering bucket and head out.

You were startled to find two well-dressed men sitting on the step of your front door.

“You frightened me!” you exclaimed, your free hand on your to calm your racing heart. “Is there a reason you are here?” you asked the two men who had risen to their full height.

“I am here to take you to dinner.” both Princes Taekwoon and Wonshik answered their voices as serious as you ever heard them.

It would be almost comical to note the way the two brothers stared each other down, willing the other to give up if not for how deadly their gazes seemed.

“Oh…” you trailed off, the fluttering feeling of being in demand leaving you speechless. “My aide has yet to arrive though…as you can see I am not ready yet.” you amended with a kind smile, hoping to defuse the situation.

Both immediately bowed in polite apology for their forwardness.

“I was here first.” the comment that came from Taekwoon would seem childish on anyone but with him, he sounded nothing but firm.

You did not catch the snarky comment Wonshik shot back at his brother but you had no doubt it was unpleasant at best. Interrupting the staring match that was occurring, you hobbled along with your crutches and bucket toward the well nearby.

“I do not see why both of you cannot take me.” you responded simply, carefully filling the small bucket. “It gives me an excuse to give the palanquin a rest this evening.” you joked lightly, adding a chuckle for effect.

Your smile seemed to do the magic trick with both men seemingly satisfied with the turn of events.


Not too long after you had the opportunity to water your red camellias did Areum come and prepare you for your escorts. When you told her of the arrangement, she immediately busied herself with readying the best outfit out of what she had brought with her. How sly she was, as not a moment after you had been presented to your escorts, did they seem to have been struck dumb at your appearance. The blush that made its way onto your cheeks was one of appreciation.


In the throne room there was an air of excitement and anticipation. It was in the way the women nodded to each other and the way the little children pulled on their parents clothes giving them all sorts of wild suggestions. This feeling seemed most concentrated at the table where you sat with the princes and although Wonshik and Taekwoon seemed not to be in the festive mood, they too seemed to exude a tinge of it as well.

“Is there something happening?” you asked curiously, quickly taking a spoonful of nutritious broth.

“Around this time of year we celebrate the end of winter and the incoming of spring.” Hakyeon helpfully replied, his expression even brighter than usual.

“It was delayed when you came.” Sanghyuk added matter-of-fact and not too long after received a flick on the head from Jaehwan sitting across from him.

“But now you are here.” Taekwoon said his eyes looking right at you with such tenderness that everyone else present seemed to disappear.

“She should be our guest of honor. We never had a chance to do that before.” Wonshik supplied, his eyes alight with childish excitement that put the widest grin on your face.

How could you deny him with a face like that?


A week later you found yourself seated next to the king under the shade of a canopy that had been put up for the event. Sitting in silent companionship with the royal, you took in all of the hard work you had put in the past few days.

After it had been announced that you were to be the guest of honor, you dived head first into organizing. The elusive and mysterious guest that had come to stay in their village had finally made her appearance to the local community and the response you received was overwhelming. You were never without curious people who still wished to know every morsel of information that you were willing to share. You had much in common with many of the young women and it helped to pass many an afternoon decorating the main garden in all sorts of flowers and drapes.

The princes themselves were occupied with getting the event together and therefore you had not seen them as much as you were used to. On the other hand, you liked that you had a chance to miss each of them – one or two sticking out among your thoughts in particular. As you would thread peach blossoms onto pieces of string you would think of the way he smelled, the way he spoke or laughed and most importantly, the way he made you feel whether he was nearby or far.

“Welcome to our annual spring festival! The sun is warmer, the flowers have bloomed and we are once again in good health and spirits. Because of your continued hard work, we are able to enjoy this festival so please take today to relax and enjoy all that is in store. To our special guest,” you were torn from your thoughts at the sound of your name from the king, “I wish that you too enjoy all that has been prepared. Though you are far from home, I hope that even for a day we could ease that longing.” The king wished sincerely, a warm smile directed at anyone who happened to gaze upon it.

Across the decorative garden, the princes entered their pace regal and slow. Usually at events such as these, you noted that they tended to do everything according to their order of birth but today it was not to be so. Hakyeon entered the covered tent first, his jeogori a silky and delicate pink and white, setting off his tanned skin to perfection. Jaehwan followed his brother his jeogori a vivid and bold blue and white. Though he was the only one to not fasten his belt, it did not detract from his impressive physique at all. Matching his reddish brown hair, Hongbin had decided on a bright fuchsia and white jeogori. Though there seemed to be nothing special about his outfit, the prince managed to make himself look like those mythological handsome men you had read about as a child. Ah…there he was. Subconsciously you moved to the edge of your seat to get an eyeful of the prince you had waited so long to see. His jeogori was of a pale lavender and white. Off the bat you noticed he had forgone a hat and you were glad for you could see his handsome yet serious face that seemed only more so thanks to his choice of color for the day. Your eyes drifted and you had to look twice to recognize the youngest brother Sanghyuk. How mature he appeared in his patterned plum jeogori with an intricate weave of belts!  And last but not least, Wonshik. He looked every bit of royalty as he was. You had become so used to his shy and funny nature that seeing him in those eyeglasses and navy blue patterned jeogori took your breath away.

So engrossed were you with the princes that you had missed the king’s decree for the flower parade and contest to begin. It had been quietly been explained to you that each household grew a certain flower and when the annual festival came around there would be a judge to determine the best grown flower. You watched on in fascination as the various family representatives walked with pride at what they had achieved over the past months. You felt relief that you would not be judging this particular segment for each and every flower looked as though it had been magically conjured from a painting.

The festival proceeded to then have an artistry contest in which the winner’s portrait would have the opportunity to be hung in the king’s throne room for the next year. You asked a nearby aide why it was Prince Jaehwan and Prince Hongbin were not participating. The aide simply chuckled and said it would hardly be a contest at all if one of the princes were to enter. The winner was a middle aged man who romantically depicted your arrival to their small village. It saw a water color of you, lying in a boat on the crystal clear waters of the river surrounded by peach blossoms. You do not know if you were more taken in by the art style or by the fact that you had never been so beautifully captured before.

From then on there were various age groups that performed colorful dances symbolizing the coming of spring while others danced for rain and the young children of the village did whatever came to their young and creative minds.

When the princes abruptly stood up from their tent across the garden, your eyes were glued on the graceful figures. Were they about to do something as well?

“We do not fight wars,” the king answered the curious look on your face, “but we still hold the physical benefits of learning the art of combat. There are not many opportunities for my sons to show off what they have learned so at the spring festival they hold an exhibition.” the king explained, while looking over the proceedings with a watchful eye.

“Ah…” you replied in understanding, watching as all six princes ready their swords and armour.

About to ask the royal another question, your question is all but forgotten as you see the young man you recognized as Taekwoon’s personal servant speedily walked to the king’s direction.

“Your Majesty. Prince Taekwoon and Prince Wonshik have requested to pair up this year.” the servant bowed, his eyes respectfully directed at the floor.

By the look that passed over the king’s face, you deduced this was not a normal request and something about it made you feel vaguely uneasy.

The king contemplated quietly, his chin balancing on his fist before giving on nod. “Their request is accepted.” he stated, his voice monotonous.

Quickly thanking his sire, the personal servant scuttled down to the scene below, notifying the princes of the impending change.

Having rearranged themselves, the heats were to be Hakyeon versus Jaehwan followed by Taekwoon and Wonshik. Naturally Hongbin and Sanghyuk were to be the closing match.

Watching Hakyeon and Jaehwan was mesmerising. Though you could tell that they probably were not used to fighting each other, their movements were nonetheless a sight to see. You wondered how their fighting skills would match up to men from your home town and found yourself immediately convinced there was a possibility they could be better. The contest was fair and even though it was a display for the villagers, Jaehwan still kept his lopsided smile while Hakyeon exuded his bright personality. Unsurprisingly it ended in a draw with both men bowing in delight at the outcome.

The feeling of brotherly competitiveness evaporated as soon as Taekwoon and Wonshik took center stage. The tension you felt over the past few weeks felt more concentrated and you were aware from the king’s stiff posture that you were not the only one concerned. You attempted to focus on what it was the two were saying to each other and decided that perhaps it was better if you did not know after all. As soon as the match commenced you watched with bated breath as Wonshik immediately slashed his older brother’s padded armour. You knew the swords were real but up until then there had not been a cause for concern. As if the fire had truly been ignited, the fight had accelerated from there. You could barely follow who had been attacked with their opponent’s sword. Your heart raced against your ribcage making you feel nauseous as you watched what unfolded before you.

The came when Wonshik had bolted past his brother, slashing the delicate fabric of his sleeve. Taking the opportunity of his brother’s turned back, Taekwoon took his sword and slashed through the back of Wonshik’s padded armour causing the man to fall face down into the grassy patch beneath him.

“Wonshik!” you yelled, time seemed to slow down all around you as you gathered your crutches and hobbled as fast as you could, ignoring the amount of force you were placing on your arm joints.

By the time you had gotten to the scene, you barely noted Taekwoon holding his bloodied arm and being scolded by Hakyeon. The other brothers had been in charge of calmly escorting the entire village to the throne room for an early tea.

“Wonshik…” you called, concern overwhelming you. Your leg would not allow you to bend on your knees beside the unaware man as you wanted to.

“He is fine.” Hakyeon came to your aid, lifting his brother off of the grass and you breathed a sigh of relief to note that his eyes were open.

“Both of them need to be seen to. My quarters are the nearest and the healer left me with a multitude of herbs. I will see to Wonshik first.” you advised the oldest prince, hardly sparing the other two injured men before making your way back to your rooms to prepare all of your supplies.


By the time you had the prince uncovered from the waist up and sitting sideways on a chair, you had readied a bowl of warm water, various herbs and dressings for his wounds.

Before moving to sit on the chair behind him, you offer the dazed man a glass of water which he accepted gratefully.

“This may sting.” you commented dryly as you began wiping away excess blood and grime from the large wound that spanned across his back.

Though Wonshik flinches from time to time, it is silent apart from the sounds of you wringing out the cloth in the water mixture. Holding on to one of his shoulders for leverage, you carefully applied an oil mixture that was supposed to promote healing of the traumatized skin.

Your eyes darted up when you felt a hand grasp the one lying on his shoulder. You stalled.

“You must have been worried.” Wonshik manoeuvred himself to peer at you over his shoulder, his eyes apologetic.

“I do not know what you wish for me to say.” you replied, continuing your work.

“I am sorry.”

“I am not the one you should be apologizing to.” you dismissed, swiftly finishing up any other cuts and bruises you noted with your keen eye.

Truthfully, you were unsure of why it was you were so upset with the events that had transpired. Part of yourself felt as though it had to do with you as a person. The other half believed it had to do with your arrival of concepts they had not been faced with since they had started this paradise.

Nevertheless, you dismiss Wonshik with a look that said you would talk to him about it later on. In the mean time you moved yourself to be seated in front of where your other patient would be.


The atmosphere with Taekwoon was the same and yet different from when his brother had occupied his seat. For one, the prince still did not seem to be over his explosive anger from earlier. He practically huffed as he made his way over.

The quiet man sighed as you busied yourself on the wound inflicted on chest. “I should not have done what I did.” Taekwoon quietly admitted as though the words had been rung out of him.

“Like I said to your brother, I am not the one you should be apologizing to.” you said simply. The last thing you wanted was to beat a dead horse.

“But it was your first festival with us and it was ruined. For that I am sorry.” Taekwoon gently tilted your chin towards him as he tucked a stray lock of hair behind your ear with his free hand.

You silently regard him finding yourself unable to look away however; knowing that there were still things to do, you tore your eyes away from his, nodding once in understanding.

“Then tell me why you both did it.” you firmly asked, making it known that you wanted nothing short of the truth.

Once again, the prince stalled your hands with an almost scoff.

“Do you not know my brother is in love with you?” he asked though his question sounded more like a statement.

Shocked, your wide eyes look at the prince for any sign of deception. Love? Of course you were aware he enjoyed your company but love was not at all what you thought it was.

“I do not understand…” your eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Taekwoon nodded over to the pot of red camellias sitting harmlessly on your shelf. “Where do you think they came from?” he asked, his gaze intense.

“It is simply flowers-” you responded, your head tilted. There was something you were missing.

“They are not simply flowers.” Taekwoon interrupted, seemingly annoyed to even mention them. “Do you have any idea what they mean?”

You shook your head. Your tongue stuck to the roof of your mouth.

“It not only means being in love but it symbolizes the person who receives it as divine. We only use these flowers in our most sacred ceremonies.” the prince explained slowly and carefully as though reciting an incantation. His very eyes felt as though they were boring holes into your being.

“Oh…” you could not find words with which to reply. But…you remembered Taekwoon saying they fought because Wonshik was in love with you. Did that mean then that…?

“Oh!” you exclaimed in surprise.


A/N: How's that for a love triangle huh? This chapter got so long that if I put everything I wanted to, it would be too long. That being said I'm aiming for this to be 10 chapters as well (I'm OCD like that) and I'm lacking ideas for one of my chapters so if you have ideas do feel free to contribute, I'll be eternally thankful! The meaning of the red camellia I took from the Japanese meaning as I felt it added more dimension than using the Korean meaning of faithfullness and longevity. This chapter is 3 257 words long so enjoy the treat. <3 Also, LR's comeback teasers so far have just been fire. I'm still waiting to see if there's something I can throw in here. *wink wink*. And if you need a splendid visual for what I had in mind for what they're wearing:

gsPXueB.png