War Council

The Peach Blossom That Found Paradise
B96xcO8.png
War Council
❝"Whenever I'm with you, wherever it is, my heart flutters as it enters a picture." - 도원경 (桃源境)❞
Taekwoon closed the door behind him, tugging his jeogori that laid uncomfortably against his bandaged torso; feeling restless. While it was his body that caused him endless discomfort, it was his mind that may as well have been a hive of bees that made him wish that he could somehow disconnect it from his body. Moreover the state of his heart after his conversation with the woman he adored was something he wanted to think of even less.

“Have you been given sufficient treatment or do you still need to see our private healers?” Taekwoon had not noticed his brother had been standing at the entrance to her home, veiled by the cloak of night. Then again, his older brother’s choice of clothes were very distinct for night time and it once again proved just how occupied his mind was.

He shook his head in response to his brother’s words that still carried anger within them.

“No. I am not in need of anything more than what (F/n) has given me.” he replied simply as though his injuries were nothing more than a slight cold.

“Father wishes to speak with both you and Wonshik.” Hakyeon spoke up almost colliding with the last words of his brother’s reply, impatience evident in his tone.

“There is nothing to speak about.” Taekwoon harshly objected. As much as he wished to return to his quarters to ponder over the conversation he had with (F/n), he could not seem to leave his brother’s side and continued their less than peaceful stroll.

“Need I remind you that you were this close to murdering each other in front of the entire village? You know better than anyone the reason why that is alarming.” Hakyeon reprimanded as though they were children all over again, his hands solemnly behind his back much like their father.

“It was a fight nothing more. And you should know better than anyone that we have had our own share of disagreements. It does not mean anything.”  Taekwoon answered, his actions nonchalant though he felt anything but.

“I would hardly call (F/n) meaningless.” Hakyeon snapped, sending glare his brother’s way before leading the way into the throne room where his brothers and father gathered.

The air surrounding the throne room was oppressive and heavy. Taekwoon knew just by the look on his father’s face that the patriarch was far from pleased from what he had witnessed earlier.

Standing to either side of the throne with his brother’s, the six princes wait with bated breath for the proceedings to begin.

“Taekwoon and Wonshik approach.” the king commanded, his voice levelled and his eyes steeled.

Not even sparing the other sibling a glance, the two men approached the throne, performing a traditional bow that ended in them kneeling on the plush red carpet, their gazes angled downwards.

“Would either of you care to explain what happened today?” the king tapped his ringed fingers against the arm of his throne.

“You already know Father:” Wonshik grunted, his jaw tense with annoyance – half of it caused by his visit before arriving here.

“I would still like to hear the reason why two of my sons nearly killed each other.” the older man objected, his voice leaving no room for any arguments.

“Is it not obvious Father?” Sanghyuk interjected from his place on the side lines. “They are both hopelessly in love with our visitor.” the youngest mischievously answered.

“Thank you Sanghyuk,” his father spared him a look and he was not sure if his father was as thankful as he said, “however; I wish to hear it from your brothers.”

“What difference would it make Father? Whether I or Sanghyuk say it, it does not change the fact that I am in love with (F/n).” Taekwoon spoke up, lifting his face to give his father a defiant look.

“As am I.” Wonshik added his words almost forceful as though physically contending with his brother’s words.

“And how am I to know this is not some fascination with the girl from outside? You are both hot headed young men, taken in by flights of fancy. It may feel like love but in truth it is nothing more than intense interest.” the wise king explained, half scolding half advising.

“I would not have given her red camellias if I were not serious about my intentions towards her.” Wonshik objected passionately, his deep voice seemingly reverberating off of the walls of the throne room.

The room fell silent – even more so if it were possible. Everyone except Taekwoon had been surprised at the revelation and the weight of what it meant was made obvious. The king although wide eyed, kept silent, his fist covering his mouth as he pondered the situation.

“Make no mistake Father, I may not have done something as foolish as Wonshik but my feelings are as strong – if not more so.” the second prince stated, his words almost mocking.

“I see…” the wise king said, his head resting in his palm, “that is all good and well but is she aware? Moreover does she reciprocate?”

“As of tonight, she is aware.” Taekwoon answered, smirking when he felt the shocked gaze of his younger brother on him. “She loves me, of that I am certain.” he responded, recalling the endless days he had spent with her under that special apple tree in the orchid. He recalled how she turned those lovely eyes to him, how she laughed with him and how she would lean her head on his shoulder when she became lethargic.

“How arrogant.” Wonshik scoffed. All he could think of was the many times they had spent talking until they could no longer see the light from the sun or when they went horse riding together, exploring the nearby forest. He recalled the many times he caused her cheeks to flush and even in spite of her anger at him, how tenderly she had treated him earlier.

“I am pleased you have found someone you assume loves you in return.” the king spoke carefully, his eyebrows furrowed at what was to follow. “But you both know that no matter how she feels about either of you – it is a love that cannot be. You know that soon she will need to leave. If not for herself then out of duty to her family. I need not remind you, she is already betrothed. As both your father and king, I urged you to love the women you would be married to but under the circumstances…” the elder man sighed heavily, pinching his nose bridge from the sheer weight of his words, “I cannot allow this. To further whatever relationship has been kindled between either of you will only cause pain. When she leaves – and she will – the pain that will come with it is not worth the satisfaction that comes now. Please do remember that.”

“I will indeed remember that Father.” Taekwoon replied while rising to his feet. “However; you forget that she does not love her intended and there is little that will stop me from being with her. Whether she stays or I leave, I am prepared for what will come.” with a tone of finality, the prince bowed deeply in respect before walking out without out so much as a goodbye.

The king does not speak any further, knowing full well what he was to expect from his other son. As much as he tried to keep them from the foreign concepts of pain and suffering, there was only so much he could do to keep them from themselves.


The next few days had been a hive of activity. Needing time on his own, Wonshik had moved out of his shared commune with Sanghyuk into one of the loftier places nearer to the king. While the brothers understood that at times they all needed space from each other, the severity of the fight between Taekwoon and Wonshik only served to make them feel uneasy. Usually the more talkative and cheerful among them, they found themselves disheartened at Wonshik’s less than sociable behaviour. Not that the second prince was faring any better. The quiet man seemed to have taken a vow of silence, his face in a permanent state of seriousness as though he were strategizing.


“There. How does that feel?” your healer asked as she removed the splint for the last time, her hands softly massaging your ankle in search of any tender spots.

You beamed from ear to ear. “It feels good!” you exclaimed. “I might use the crutches for a little while longer; I am worried at how sensitive it is.”

 Your healer laughed, gently shaking her head. “There is no need to be so cautious. It may feel sensitive but that is not the case at all. My only advice would be to start walking for small periods of time.” the kind, older woman advised before smearing one of her concoctions on your ankle before placing a pristine white sock over your foot for protection.

“I promise to be more careful this time.” you joked, touching your ankle in wonder; the swelling was completely gone.

“One can only hope. I will be back for a check-up later this week.” the healer reminded you before packing up her things and dismissing herself.


Once alone, you could not deny the excitement you felt at totally regaining your range of movement. Your arms most definitely would thank you for a break from the use of crutches. In keeping up with your mood, you lightly padded over to where all of your new shoes had been packed and rifled through the numerous pairs for something to match the occasion.

“Need help?” a voice rumbled from behind you and you turned in shock.

“Wonshik!” you exclaimed. You were surprised to see him and you noted that the anger you felt at him the last time you saw him had all but evaporated. In fact…you missed him. You heard via the grapevine at the drama that had happened between the princes. Though you were taken aback at Taekwoon’s confession on both of their parts, you missed them nonetheless.

The handsome prince, dressed dashingly in red, gave you a smile and pointed towards your shoes again.

“Oh…yes. My splint was removed today so I was looking for a nice pair of shoes to wear.” you laughed at how silly you sounded. You decided on a pair with red accents. You could not say you were not influenced.

“Allow me.” Wonshik insisted, swiftly swiping the pair of shoes from your hands.

“There is no need, I am capable of doing it myself.” you answered, feeling flustered. In the back of your mind, Taekwoon’s words rang out and you could not deny how plain as day it was that Wonshik was in love with you.

“Even so, let me.” he responded as quick as lightning, a gorgeous lopsided smile accompanying it.

Flushing at his insistence, you give a nod and moved yourself to the nearest chair. You observed how gently the man treated you, lifting each of your ankles as though they were glass before slipping on the well-fitting footwear. Though his touch does not linger longer than acceptable in any situation, his constant nearness was more than enough proof of his intentions.

Standing up to his full height, Wonshik offered his arm for you to take. Accepting his offer with a smile, your eyes browsed over your quarters out of habit before gasping in surprise.

“Oh! There’s a new set.” you exclaimed, looking at the plump, vibrant red of the camellias that had been replaced.

“The others were beginning to wilt.” the prince replied, his pleased tone difficult to miss as he took in your facial expression.

Neither of you were surprised that other knew.

“They are lovely. Thank you.” you thanked your sincerely before allowing yourself to be led out to your garden.

“I cannot go very far unfortunately. The healer said I’m to walk only small distances.” you commented when you reached the entrance to your home, a self-conscious smile on your lips.

Wonshik chuckled. “It does not matter whether we are here or in the palace gardens, you are all that matters.” the prince sweetly answered, his gaze seeking out yours.

You did not expect him to be so direct even though at this point it was an open secret, still you could not shake how flattered you felt at his attentions.

Sending him a grin, you slowly walked to the bench nearest to you and seated yourself in the graceful manner you have not been able to for months.

“Come sit by me.” you patted the empty space next to you invitingly.

Not even a moment’s hesitation is to be noted upon the prince’s face as he almost seemed to glide towards you before seating himself right beside you, the cool spring air going undetected by his proximity.

You sit in companionable silence a while, watching the birds taking sand baths and the trees gently being blown in the breeze.

“Can I take this as a sign that you are no longer angry at me?” Wonshik’s deep voice rumbled with uncertainty. He wished to reach for your hand but after a back-and-forth, he settled on laying his larger hand atop your own.

Your lips quirked. “I was not angry, I was worried. You were so still…” your voice trailed off in the wind whilst you turned your hand over to allow to be encapsulated by Wonshik’s warmth.

“I am sorry for worrying you. However thanks to you, I have made a full recovery.” the prince lightly teased, adding pressure to your intertwined hands.

“You should thank the healer. It was her concoction.” you denied humbly, ignoring the warmth radiating in your chest.

“I still withhold the belief that you could heal me with nothing but your smile.” Wonshik countered with that special lopsided smile of his that made him seem years younger than he was.

You tilted your head back in laughter and nudged your companion playfully unbeknownst to the look of wonderment being directed your way.


As though nothing had changed between the two of you, the conversation had continued with same level of comfort you had always known with the prince. You laughed and talked and argued in the sparkling afternoon sun until you could no longer see each other save for your silhouette.

Noting that dinner time would arrive soon, you both reluctantly walk to your door.

“Thank you for today.” Wonshik held your hands as you stood on the step leading into your front door.

“Why ever are you thanking me?” you laughed, staring into the prince’s dark yet almost glittering brown eyes.

“Just thank you.” he thanked you again sincerely, smiling brightly before leaning in to graze his soft lips against your forehead, pausing to savor the moment and you hummed at the feeling.

When the moment came to an end, he did not say anything more and simply turned to walk away although he had trouble in giving your hands back to you.

As Wonshik slowly disappeared from view, a throb of longing began to overtake you within your chest.

The longing however; was not for him.


A/N: I'm back! I apologize for no update last week but I was going through something personal and had no desire to write. I would like to thank my mans LR however for kickstarting my imagination and did they ever. I've literally listened to nothing but Whisper and the mini album since it came out. I have to admit this chapter is focused on Ravi because I've forgotten how much I like him, so this is just pure indulgence. Do not despair because the next chapter will have Leo (and can we please talk about how downright amazing his voice is in Whisper?!Arghhh). One of the scenes in here was in fact inspired by the beginning of the MV and I honestly feel like the story has a different feel to it now since the inspiration is different. Title is inspired by too many hours of otome. Hope you are all enjoying it.

gsPXueB.png