Archive 4 ~ Samguk Sagi

Transcendence of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Archive 4 ~ Samguk Sagi

 

“Miss, are you alright?” Howon asked again. “Are you hurt anywhere?”

 

Your highness, you can trust this man.

 

He is a good person.

 

He will make sure you remain safe.

 

Trust him!

 

“Other than not remembering how I ended up in the woods, I’m fine.”  Mina said as she rose to her feet and walked over to her sword and placed it back in its holster.  “Thanks for your assistance Howon, but I should be on my way.”

 

Howon caught up to her, placing a hand on her arm. “Miss, I think you need to be checked by a doctor.  It is concerning that you cannot remember how you ended up in these woods.”

 

“I’m fine.” Mina glared at the royal guard.

 

“Miss, I insist that you get looked at by the royal doctor of the Kingdom of Baekje.” Howon studied the girl’s appearance, on the surface she seemed to be in good condition, but he was unsure how she felt internally.  She could have been drugged or worse, poisoned.

 

“I appreciate your concern, but I’m…” Mina placed a hand on her head.  Why did she feel so dizzy all of a sudden?

 

“Are you alright?” 

 

“I…”

 

Howon caught the girl in his arms, sighing.  Whoever this girl was, she was stubborn, but strong. He could not help but stare at her. This mysterious young woman was very beautiful. He could not help being attracted to her.

 

“Howon…”

 

 Hoya was broken out of his entrancement and looked towards the two other Royal guards that just arrived, “Where have you been? A person’s life was at risk and you two were not where you were supposed to be.”

 

“Sorry sir! Who is she?”

 

“I don’t know! She fainted before she was able to tell me her name, but she was being targeted.  We need to get back to the palace. I must speak to the king.”

 

 

“Yah! Wake up!”

 

“I will in a minute Sunggyu hyung.”  Sungyeol mumbled. 

 

“I said wake up!”

 

Sungyeol sat up quickly after he was hit on the head with a piece of paper.  He looked up expecting to see an angry Sunggyu, but the man in front of him wasn’t Sunggyu.  He was an older man, in his mid-fifties.

 

“You finally decided to join us, Sungyeol.”

 

Sungyeol looked around band noticed that people were staring at him, people he didn’t know.  He looked down and noticed his clothing wasn’t of this time.  It seems like that golden light transported him to the past. Did that golden light cause this? Was it the medallion?

 

“Are you alright? You look pale?”

 

“I am feeling a bit under the weather. I think I need to lay down.”

 

“You can lay down after our lesson, Sungyeol.  You have been slacking off the past few weeks and it is unacceptable!” The older man glared at Sungyeol.

 

“But sir…”

 

“Fine! Only this once I will allow you to leave the lesson, but you must go to the royal doctor. I want a signed note from him.  Do not think of forging it.  I shall know.”

 

“Yes sir!”

 

 

Howon was kneeling in front of the king, “She fainted before she had the opportunity to tell me her name.  I am unsure if she is of Baekje’s Nobel Class, your highness.  She could be a Nobel from another Kingdom, traveling through.” Howon sighed. “From my investigation it seems like these kidnappings are not special to Baekje, these disappearances have been happening across the Samguk Sagi.” Howon bit his lip. “The selling of women to a brothel and these strange disappearances of young women are not connected.  I think they are separate occurrences.”

 

“Thank you Howon.” Hwangchang sighed, “I share your concern about the disappearance of these young women, but I would like to speak to this girl you saved myself.  I need to know who she is and why were those men after her.”

 

“She is resting in the guest quarters near the gardens.  Would you like me to you?”

 

“That will not be necessary.  I want you to keep an eye on Sungjong, I am sure my annoying younger brother is causing trouble and not studying again.  The kid really needs to keep up with his studies.  There are dark times ahead.  I may not be here forever.”

 

Howon sighed, “I am sure Sungjong is already speaking with the girl.  Your brother has been leading the effort in helping the young women who have been disowned by their families for not being pure.  He knows it is not their fault for being forced into the brothel.”

 

“It seems like you got to the girl in time. I am sure her family will allow her to return.” Hwangchang rose to his feet, “but you are probably correct Howon, Sungjong is with the girl.  He needs to be cautious of who he is seen with. His betrothed is arriving from Silla in a month.”

 

“I did not need to do much, your highness.  The girl knows how to fight.  She was trained extremely well, and from my observation, she must be the eldest of her family or an only child.” Howon walked down the hall with the King, “I spend a lot of time with Sungjong, the kid enjoys talking to people. Learning about the adventures they have been on.  It is his way of learning.  He rather learn from the people then listen to royal tutors all day telling him how people behave.”

 

“He has always been curious kid, but this marriage cannot fall through. We must keep the peace Howon.”

 

“I understand sir, keeping the peace is important, but your brother's diplomatic abilities also are of high importance.”

 

 

A young girl was staring at the man who was sleeping under the tree.  She poked his cheek, wondering if he is going to wake. The man did not look like he was in good condition. She knew he should not be sleeping here.

 

“Myunghee you should not run off like that!” Woohyun said as he walked towards the youngest of his three sisters.  “Our visiting privileges to the village may be revoked if we don’t follow proper protocol. You should not be wondering off on you own, you are a princess."

 

"I may be a princess, but I have no control over my life.  I am just going be betrothed to a prince from another kingdom, like Sunhee. If it’s not a prince, it will be some Nobel man twice my age.”  Myunghee crossed her arms, "I cannot believe she is leaving us in a month.  I will probably never see her again."  Myunghee pouted.

 

Woohyun sighed and kneeled in front of his sister.  He knew Myunghee looked up to Sunhee "I know it is hard, but to keep peace, Sunhee has to marry the Crown Prince of Baekje, and from my knowledge he is not a creepy old man.  He is the same age as Sunhee.”

 

"Well I still don't like it!"

 

“I understand, but you must be cautious of your words around father.” Woohyun placed a hand on her sister’s shoulder. “He doesn’t like it when we speak out against him.”

 

“I know, but…”

 

Woohyun sighed and pulled Myunghee into a hug, “I know it’s hard, but we will make our last month with Sunhee memorable, I p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter