Archive 1: No Longer a Trio

Transcendence of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Archive 1: No Longer a Trio

A man, in his late twenties stared at the large map of Yeosu, a city located on the southern coast of Korea in South Jeolla Province. Yeosu is the next location for his latest archaeological investigation. Sunggyu and his team have already conducted their field survey and discovered a location that has yet to be excavated. He was excited to start a new project, but hoped his team is ready for a new challenge, especially their newest member that has yet to arrive.

Across the room, stood a man staring out a floor length window at the city of Seoul. He turned his head towards the older man who is so focused he would not hear a pin drop. Sungyeol hoped to get his attention to acquire the information he desired, "So, when are we going to meet this great archeologist you met in America, hyung?" Sungyeol asked as walked towards the oak table to see what was so great about this map that hogged Sunggyu's attention for the past two hours. How could Sunggyu not feel as anxious about their new team member? He was. This was the first time in three years that a new member is being added to their male dominated team. Sungyeol wanted to know everything.

"The day after tomorrow …" Sunggyu bit his lip as he marked a location on the map with a red dot. "She is flying in from New York." Sunggyu marked a green dot on the map to serve as the location or their camp when they are in Yeosu.

"Is she pretty?" Sungyeol asked, "Hyung, please pay attention."

Sunggyu sighed deeply as he folded the map and placed it in the black leather bag that was leaning against the cough Dongwoo was sleeping on. "Is that all you care about? If she is pretty? Not how smart she is? Not the qualities she is going to bring to our team?”

"No, but this is the first time you are bringing a girl onto the team. She must be someone special, if you are doing that. Normally, you only accept male applicants, no offense hyung, that’s boring. They always have an ego and rarely last long. I wonder why that is." Sungyeol side-eyed Sunggyu. "I hope this girl can deal with your constant nagging."

"Sorry, but most of the time people don't fit my standards, and this girl did not want to join my team to fangirl over me. She has a vast knowledge of Korean history even though she has lived in America most of her life. She wrote a compelling thesis and I had a nice conversation with her when I was a guest lecturer at the university she attended. You of all people should know how much I hate when someone pretends to be something that they are not just to get close to me." Sunggyu sighed.

"Well, who wouldn't want to fangirl over, Kim Sunggyu the Great! The youngest award winning, smartest, most irresistible archeologist in all of Korea, who just happens to be single for the past decade."

"Sungyeol…"

"What did I say that was so wrong? Being irresistible or not dating anyone for the past ten years?" Sungyeol smirked. He enjoys teasing Sunggyu.

"The not dating anyone." Dongwoo sat up from the couch he was laying on, stretching his arms above his head. He was pretending to be waking up from a nap, but Dongwoo knew that Sunggyu was not going to buy it.

"I thought you were sleeping?" Sunggyu asked sitting down best to him.

"I was just pretended to sleep, so you did not nag me about loading the car for Friday's mission. It is already done, and I have the files of the interns that are also joining us. They are in the green folder, I put in your bag. I think there will be eleven interns."

"Eleven interns, isn't that a bit much?" Sungyeol sighed, already predicting their fate, and it did not seem bright. "The University should stop sending interns, those kids will quit once they meet our grumpy Tibetan fox." Sungyeol smirked, "the last batch of interns did not even survive two hours."

"Which proves that they are not cut out for this type of work!" Sunggyu spoke coldly. "It takes a strong-willed individual to become an archeologist. They are people who have no fear and are not afraid of adventure."

"Then why are you an archaeologist, hyung?"

"Because I am a genius and I have a strong will that overcomes my fears.” Sunggyu glared at Sungyeol. "Dongwoo, what type of interns are we getting this time?" Trying to change the course of discussion.

Dongwoo opened his mouth and was about to inform Sunggyu that Sungyeol brother, Daeyeol, was going to be one of their interns, but did not want to spoil the surprise. Dongwoo knew that Sungyeol did not keep in touch with his younger brother when he began his education as an archaeologist. Sungyeol wanted his brother to face hardships and grow on his own. He wants Daeyeol to be someone that does not need to rely on others.

"Forget the interns, I want to know more about this girl! How old is she? What are her likes? What are her dislikes? Is she single?"

"Sungyeol, have you forgotten my policy about dating a coworker."

"That policy is a load of ! It does not exist since this is the first time we have a girl on our team."

"We have had female interns before, and..." Dongwoo started.

"Be quiet Dongwoo hyung and let me get the information we both want to know. Are you not telling us anything because you want to keep this girl for yourself?"

Sunggyu sighed and reached into his black leather bag handing Sungyeol Mina's file. He knew he would not hear the end of it, if he did not give him that file.

"Wow, I did not think it was going to be that easy." Sungyeol said as he snatched the file from Sunggyu's hands and ran to the other side of the room.

"You did that to shut him up?" Dongwoo crossed his arms as he looked at the older man.

"I do not know what you are talking about." Sunggyu sighed as he pulled a book out of his bag and started to read it.

"Hyung, I know when you are lying. We been friends since we were kids"

"So, what if I gave him the file. That file does not have everything in it. Do you think I would be dumb enough to put everything about Mina in that file? Sungyeol needs to work for the information, not have it handed to him."

"You know he will find out eventually, right!"

"I know, but hopefully what I gave him will satisfy his hunger for now." Sunggyu yawned.

"Wow!" Sungyeol ran back over to the and hugged Sunggyu. "Thanks for choosing such a pretty gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter