Archive 2: The Allegory Beings

Transcendence of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Archive 2: The Allegory Beings

“Hi Sungyeol hyung!”

Sungyeol could not believe his eyes, his younger brother Lee Daeyeol was standing in front of him, tall and proud. He has not seen Daeyeol in the past three years.  It was not like he was ignoring him; he was busy with archeological research.

Sungyeol was in a different country every couple of months and he did not want to interrupt his brother’s studies at all hours of the day. His brother’s studies are important. He narrowed his eyes and looked towards Sunggyu and then Dongwoo. He knew they had something to do with this. Sunggyu and Dongwoo constantly nagged him to go see his brother, but he refused.  Sungyeol did not want to make things easy for his brother. He wanted his brother to gain recognition on his own. He wanted to earn his own keep. He didn’t want him to get special treatment because he was related to him.    

Did he do this for a reason?

Did he want him to take on more responsibility because his brother is here?

"Do you have a twin?" Mina stepped next to him, placing her hand on her chin as she looked at the young man that stepped off the bus.

"No…" Sungyeol sighed but wasn't surprised what she was inquiring. Whenever he was with his brother, people would ask them if they were twins. They both have the same height and built. "I have a younger brother."

"I see…" Mina smiled as she watched the rest of the interns get off the bus. "You two look so much alike."

"We are nothing alike." Sungyeol crossed his arms, pouting.  “We may look alike, but our personalities are completely different.”

“It just an observation, Sungyeol.   No need to be so stingy.” 

“I know…we just don’t like being compared." Sungyeol rolled his eyes as he counted the interns.  It seemed like they only have ten interns instead of eleven.  There must have been a last-minute change in the lineup.

“You mean you don’t like the comparison, Sungyeollie.” Dongwoo smirked. “I’m sure Daeyeollie likes being mistaken for you.” Dongwoo chuckled. “Okay kiddies gather round.  Our team leader is going to speak with the ten of you in a moment.”

“I know you had your hands in this, Dongwoo. Don’t pretend you didn’t know.”

"Whose pretending?" Dongwoo raised an eyebrow. “I made sure Daeyeollie was a part of our new intern crew and I know Sunggyu hyung enjoys seeing you freak out, it’s amusing.”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes and stepped forward. He could not believe how childish Dongwoo could be at times, but Sungyeol was the same. The kid enjoyed pulling pranks whenever he had the chance. With his brother here Sunggyu knew he needed to keep an eye on dumb and dumber. He cleared his throat. "Welcome, interns.  I am Kim Sunggyu, most of you have heard of me, and I want to assure you my reputations of going through interns is correct, but I am trying a new teaching method this time around.  If you need me, please do not hesitate to come and talk to me. I am a good listener."

Sunggyu watched as the intern’s whisper to each other.  He hoped they could be put at ease with his words. "You are going to be broken up into four teams. Those teams have been determined already, and there will be no objections to who your mentor is going to be. If there aren't any questions, we…"  Sunggyu looked towards Daeyeol who had his hand raised and sighed deeply.  "Daeyeol, is there something you would like to ask?"

"Are you assigning me to my brother?"

"No, that would be a conflict of interest.  You are going to be on my team." Where I can keep a close eye on you. If you are anything like your brother, I am going to need to come down on you with an iron fist. Sunggyu looked over at Joochan who hand shot up after telling Daeyeol he was on his team.

"Do you know who the rest of us are going to be with?"  Joochan asked.

"Your assignments will be revealed tomorrow morning at breakfast." Sunggyu crossed his arms, "We are going to evaluate the area today as a team and set up camp.  I want everyone to know where everything is before we begin our excavation in this area.  We will be starting bright and early tomorrow so please do not stay up all night. I want you all well rested.” Sunggyu walked away and was followed by Dongwoo.

Only Sungyeol and Mina remained with the interns.  She had a feeling that Sunggyu wanted them to take charge. Mina looked towards Sungyeol and studied his face, he seemed perplexed, “You should talk to your brother.”

“I know I should, but the interns.”

“You don’t need to worry about the interns.  I can handle them” Mina smirked as she looked at the ten young men. “You don’t need to hesitate. Go talk to your brother. I’m sure Daeyeol will forgive you for not speaking to him for three years.”

“That’s not what I am worried about, but thanks for your concern.” Sungyeol smiled down at Mina.  If this girl keeps this up, he might end up falling for her. 

“No problem. I will leave you two alone.” Mina smiled as picked up her bag. She looked at the interns and beamed at them, “Come one boy’s lets go set up camp! We should not keep Sunggyu and Dongwoo waiting.”

~~~

“So, how was your first day?”

"Good, but there is nothing to report yet halmoni." Mina walked down the path away from the campsite and wondered why her grandmother was calling her already.  The excavation has yet to begin.  Is there something that she wanted to warn her about?

“I know there isn't much to report, but I wanted to hear your voice Mina.   You know our family has a deep connection to the Kingdom of Baekje.”

“I understand, but I do not think that is the reason why you called."

“I cannot get anything past you. Mina, strange things may occur while you are there, you must be prepared.”

“What do you mean that strange things may happen! Does this have to do with those stories you used to tell me”

“It is a possibility. Just be prepared for anything.”

Mina sighed as her grandmother hung up on her.  “Talk about being vague! She did not answer her question about the myth of the man with the golden eyes.” She looked up at the moon and sighed deeply.  What connection was her grandmother talking about besides them being a descendent of royalty and the myth.

~~~

"What are you three up to?" Mina asked as she walked up behind Jangjung, Sungyoon, and Donghyun. Those three have been acting strange since they evaluated the area last night and when they did not show up for breakfast, Mina decided to investigate.

"Nothing…"

“It sure do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter