The Warmth of Your Hands

Midnight Sanctuary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
NOTE:

references for jungkook's home > 1  2  3

five the warmth of your hands

 

The Jeon residence was nothing short of modest and ordinary with its dull, greyish-blue exterior, shrivelling front yard and a floor space deemed to fit a family of three; although those were hardly the first thoughts to come to Taehyung's mind when Namjoon's SUV pulled up by the curb of the pavement, and dropped him off with Jungkook and Jimin.

Among the shades of gray that clouded his memories, Taehyung couldn't remember what it was like to be in a space one would call a house, four walls and a roof and everything, considering how he barely recalled ever having lived in one before. But he's fairly certain such a place existed for him — a house he'd once lived in, once slept in, once grown up in — despite the absence of mental images to prove his beliefs. It's just like how he knew he must've gone to school before, had someone who raised him as a child, had a whole life somewhere in this world even without having the slightest memory to any of it; how else would he have been able to talk, to form thoughts like this, to know names of towns and animals and places and of things around him? After all, he even had a foster family he has no recollection of; it terrified him to think of the other possibilities that would make the list of his lost memories.

Maybe it was living too long in the woods that somehow made him forget, the years and years of freezing nights and sheer loneliness that slowly became all he ever knew, making him see only trees and earth and taste coldness whenever he closed his eyes, even now. Perhaps that was what made being in the pack's cabin so hard to accept at first, with the sense of unfamiliarity the woods had conditioned in him towards everything the home had to offer — food, shelter, security, warmth — making it all seem like a distorted dream he could wake up from any moment.

But it all changed when he finally did wake up from a dream, and found a pair of hands on him rather than the suffocating emptiness that always followed the nightmares.

A pair of hands that were the first rush of warmth to grace his skin in what seemed to be forever. Hands that belonged to the boy who called himself Jeon Jungkook.

And that was what it took for him to believe Jungkook's home will be just as warm and comforting as the male himself.

"Moooooooom!" Jungkook called out in a holler as the three bounded through the front door of his home, filling the once silent air with the bustle of their shoes. "I'm home!"

"Man, I totally forget how bad your soccer boots stink," remarked Jimin from where he stood by the shoe rack, in the middle of kicking his Air Jordans off.

"Maybe I should remind you how they taste too." Jungkook scowled and followed suit with his Timberlands. "Alright so— Hey, Taehyung, why are you still standing there?"

At the call of his name, Taehyung snapped out of his daze, tearing his signature curious large orbs away from the tones of browns and creams that made out the furnishings and walls of the living room. He was still by the door.

"Oh, I was just, looking around." With wary feet, he stepped away to join them, and slipped off the converses Namjoon had loaned him.

Jungkook placed them by the corner of his crammed rack. "So, what do you think then?"

"It's... it feels nice," was all Taehyung said, hindered by his limited vocabulary.

The brunette chuckled. "Well, compared to the cabin it's much smaller since it's just me and my mom here, but it's pretty cozy, and there's enough room for you so don't worry."

A small simper spread across Taehyung's lips then, and he said after another once over, "No actually, I like it."

Jungkook's own grin widened. "Come on, we'll show you arou—"

Picking up the distant sound of footsteps trudging in their midst, all three boys turned towards the staircase across them where a raven-haired lady was making her descent, features softened with age and dressed in scrubs.

Striding to meet her halfway, Jungkook caught his mom in a longing hug.

"Hey mom~"

"Hey Jeon, you're back early today." Mrs Jeon spoke as she ruffled his hair affectionately.

"Hi Mrs Jeon!" Jimin chimed with a wave.

"Nice to see you too Jimin—" The lady paused when she finally spotted the third boy in the back, a face unfamiliar to her. "Oh, who's this?"

Side stepping away from her, Jungkook motioned for Taehyung to come over. "This is Kim Taehyung. He's a new friend we made, and he's... one of us."

Mrs Jeon raised a brow at him. "By us you mean 'that' us?"

"Yeah, that us," chuckled Jungkook, amused as always by how his mom still avoided saying the W word.

"Well that's nice." Turning to Taehyung, she extended out a hand towards him. "Hi there, I'm Jungkook's mom, in case you haven't figured it out."

The latter shook it nervously, "Hello, it's nice to meet you."

"Likewise. So, how'd you meet? Do you go to Shinbi high?"

It was a casual question, one any other adult would ask when they were geting to know their children's friends. And in most cases it's impossibly easy to answer, unless it involved potentially concerning details, so when silence hung in the air for the next three seconds, Mrs Jeon gave her son the 'what are you not telling me' look.

Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Uh yeah, about that."

He paused to sigh, and gathered his preplanned explanation in his head. "So, we found Taehyung in the woods a couple days ago, injured and on his own so the guys decided to take care of him for a while. But then we found out he... lost his family a long time ago, and has nowhere to go, and since Namjoon hyung and the others were going to be busy with some things, I thought he could stay here with us for a while."

It took a while for Mrs Jeon to fully absorb the details of his words, and when she did, she placed her hands on her hips. "And you're only telling me this now because...?"

Jungkook held his hands up innocently. "We literally only had the discussion two hours ago, I swear. And well... since you're a really awesome and caring and loving mom, you'd surely agree to it."

"Flattery's not gonna get you anywhere young man," she clucked her tongue. "But fine, I don't see why not. We don't have a guest room, but I don't think he should take the couch. So lay out a mattress in your room, it's big enough for both of you."

Mentally sighing in relief, Jungkook's lips relaxed into a grin. "You're the best mom ever, you know that right?"

"Every living day of my life for putting up with your nonsense," Mrs Jeon laughed, and proceeded to kiss him on the forehead before heading to grab her handbag. "All right, I gotta head to the hospital, got an early shift today. I'll bring back dinner."

"Bye mom," Jungkook said with a wave, then gestured towards his two companions. "Okay, let's go upstairs and settle down."

Contrary to the average exterior of the house, Jungkook's room was indeed huge, having enough space to fit a queen-sized bed (he moves alot in his sleep), a study desk, a wardrobe, cabinets, even a rack for his weights and dumbells, and there was still more than sufficient area to walk around. Complete with a bathroom at the side and the comforting scent of white musk from the diffuser lying atop the headboard shelf of his bed, it was more than what Taehyung had imagined.

"All right, we could lay the mattress out here," Jungkook said, pointed to the right side of his bed. "Jimin, could you help me get it from the storeroom?"

"Like I could say no." The blonde huffed, but went off anyway.

As Jungkook headed to the wardrobe and rummaged about in the bottom drawers, Taehyung followed behind him, watching questioningly.

"What are you looking for?"

"Extra pillows, and... aha! A blanket." The brunette pulled the said items out of their storage space and laid them on the ground for display. "Do you prefer flat or puffy pillows?"

"Um... puffy?"

"Puffy it is then."

Shutting back the doors, he got up the same time Jimin returned with the mattress tucked under his arm, and they went on to set up Taehyung's new sleeping area.

"I got an extra layer in case the floor's too hard," said Jimin as he dusted the cushioned surface, smiling at Taehyung. "Hopefully it's comfortable enough."

"I... I don't mind at all," Taehyung said, lowering his head coyly at the kind treatment he'd been receiving all day. "I'm used to sleeping on the ground."

"And you don't have to anymore," Jungkook promised, and set the pillow in place at the head of the mattress. "That reminds me, we needa get you stuff. Like clothes, shoes, personal necessities and stuff."

"We can hit the mall. Namjoon hyung left us his card." Jimin patted his jeans pocket where his wallet was. "Said we could use it."

"We're going to a mall?" Excitement twinkled in Taehyung's eyes at the word, and the two boys nodded with equally animated smiles.

"Let's go."

 

 

"Wah, this place is huuuuuge!"

The awe never left Taehyung's face as he stared and stared, unable take his eyes off the endless rows of stores and eateries that surrounded him in the expanse of Shinbi's mall, and Jungkook and Jimin could only laugh by his side. It amazed them, how easily it was to forget that the boy had possibly lived in the woods for so long, confined away from the little fragments of civilization that were so mundane to them; it felt like they were in their own version of Tarzan.

Well, playing babysitter didn't seem to be so boring after all.

"Do you remember your favourite color, Tae?" Jungkook asked, browsing through the various toothbrushes on display.

They were at the department store then, shopping for the possible necessities they deemed their new friend would need.

Eyes skimming through the array of toothbrushes with a thoughtful hum, Taehyung pointed to one after a while. "This one. I think it's... purple, right?"

"Purple it is." Jungkook picked it off its hook and dropped it into the ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter