Prologue

Midnight Sanctuary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
prologue the darkest night

 

Dusk. There had always been something about it.

The stage before twilight, aphotic and dim, a sanctuary of solace to one too many; it had always been the most peaceful part of the day for the people in South Korea's countrysides. There wasn't much to life as a local there. Lacking the advancement that brought the leisure of malls, clubs, office buildings, wifi, phones and more (you get the drift), the only things the locals did was work, go to school or sleep. After all, they were just mere farmers, or even students for the more priviledged kids. Rarely anyone went out past dusk and usually turned in early, readily awaiting a new day of the same ol' routine. A completely mundane, yet somehow satisfying lifestyle.

Tonight, however, was one of those nights where it wasn't so peaceful. Somewhere in the wee hours, lightning flashed across the sky, and the first drops of rain descended in heavy downpour, battering against windows and metal roofs as loud as a jackhammer would. Despite that, no one had trouble sleeping, not even when the thunder rumbled on and on.

Everyone here seemed to be so at peace with their lives to feel bothered about such minute happenings. It wouldn't come as a surprise if they could get past a hurricane without stirring.

That same night, a whole town even managed to sleep through the sudden, shrilling series of howls that came from the woods.

 

~

 

Leaves rustled.

Twigs snapped.

Crickets, birds and frogs broke apart from their abundances almost instantly the moment they sensed the ground beneath them quake from an unnatural force. Seconds later, two shadows zipped right by them across the unmarked path, sprinting through the darkness with tremendous speed.

There was no telling how long they'd been running for. Never seeming to slow down, only moving faster with each passing moment.

The creature in the lead peered over his shoulder, catching a glimpse of the looming figure hot on his heels. Even in the darkness, he couldn't miss how much bigger, and how much stronger it was compared to him. The sight sent chills all over him like a thousand needles pricking at his skin, triggering a rush of adrenaline through his body that made him snap his focus back on the trail ahead, pushing himself to go faster.

It didn't help that he had no idea where the hell he was going, what he's running from, or why he's even running in the first place. But from the menacing look in his pursuer's daunting scarlet eyes alone, he knew exactly what would happen if he stopped. Another round of goosebumps found its way up his spine.

Admist the jitters and nausea stirring in his stomach, he couldn't help but wonder what he'd possibly done to land himself in this situation. Had he unknowingly stepped into a territory that wasn't his? Had he just been at the wrong place at the wrong time? Or was there a reason he's been targeted? As curious as he was, he sure didnt mind not getting to find out.

Thunder continued to crackle in the distance as the rain poured on and on, drenching his now heavy, silver fur and stinging his eyes. He struggled to keep his feet on the ground, with the earth gradually softening from the brewing storm it was like he was threading on ice. Mud coated his toes, soaking them more and more with every step he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter