And Then There Was You

Midnight Sanctuary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
nine and then there was you

 

In the 10 or so years since the day Park Jimin waltzed in his life with mix-matched socks and offering plasters for his boo-boos, there probably wasn't ever a time Jungkook could recall where he'd once gotten mad at the ridiculously radiant ball of sunshine that was his best friend.

He didn't mind the time Jimin somehow broke his favorite baseball bat back when they were twelve; or the countless times Jimin made him wait hours in the rain because he overslept on their bro days; or even that one night when Jimin thought it was a good idea to go hunting for a dead body in the woods and Jungkook had ended up getting turned into a werewolf — but on that very Friday night following the wake of Joy's party, when the trio were on their way home to the cabin all squashed up in the backseat of a too-small cab reeking of leftover tobacco and seatbelts that couldn't click, Jungkook was pretty sure he wanted to murder him; him, the Jimin who hadn't stopped yapping about the oh-so-brilliant idea he had that Jungkook oh-so-obviously didn't like, and the Jimin who was yammering to none other than Taehyung, about dates and girls and what the you're supposed to do to impress them; Taehyung, the shy, delicately sweet boy with stars in his eyes; Taehyung, the one he'd just agreed to on a double date with.

That's right, he was going on a double date. With freaking Kim Taehyung.

Now why did that sound so bad up in his head?

Needless to say, Jungkook was full-on overracting over the whole thing; heck, he knew it shouldn't be that way, especially not when he was the one who'd brought up the topic of hooking Taehyung up in the first place, but no matter how much he pondered over it, it didn't change the fact that there wasn't a puddle of rainbows or unicorns to jump in the moment that idea had come true; nope, it was a ing whirlpool Jungkook was sinking in, a whirlpool of unexpected regret he in no way could get out of, and hell he was sinking deep — out of all things, all over the mere thought of Taehyung actually liking the idea of getting close to someone that was not Jungkook himself.

Yeap, that definitely ticked off something in him, something dark and nasty and everything else capable of messing with his near-perfect self-control over the amber glow of his eyes; and obvious as it was, Jungkook didn't want the date to happen, certainly not meaning the promise he'd made to set things up for Taehyung nor having any intention of calling Jiyoo about it to begin with.

Though, as he came to learn one too many times, the world would never always work in your favor, and he should've known better than to hope he could escape; little did he know, Jimin hadn't been the only one who'd had the idea in mind — it was Jiyoo who called him first.

C'mon Jeon, it could just be a group outing kinda thing, she'd said over the phone. They're shy, we could help them get to know each other. It'll be fun.

He'd tried to talk her out of it. Really, he did, but having no excuse good enough to object in the first place, Jungkook found it hard to tell her no; so he didn't, and that was how it all came to be in the end — Jiyoo texting see u at the woods, 1pm tmr, plz make taehyung wear something nice, Jungkook replying fine, we'll b there, and Taehyung getting excited as , something that left the brunette pretty much brooding over with restless tosses and turns.

(What a sour wolf.)

It was a quarter to one when Jungkook and Taehyung finally made off from the cabin the very next day, all dressed up and off on their way under the harsh, clammy afternoon glow to meet the girls as planned. The hike out had been pretty quiet at first, what with Jungkook being the extra sulky prune  he was about the date actually happening — it didn't help that it was absurdly hot out for spring, he was practically sweating through his white button shirt, and not to mention he was still cranky over how a certain silver-furred wolf kept him up all night; Taehyung had been so thrilled he literally had to be pet to sleep, and just Jungkook's luck to be the one sharing a room with him.

It shouldn't have bothered Jungkook, the petting; he never usually minded, always being more than glad to give the boy the comforting stimulation he sought from no one else but Jungkook himself — but that night things clearly hadn't felt usual at all, and the little act oddly left Jungkook moody as because damn Kim Taehyung getting all excited about spending time with someone that's not me pretty much bugged the out of him.

Not that he ever said those thoughts out loud. He'd simply chosen to ignore Taehyung as best as he could, in a wishful attempt to salvage whatever was left of his inner peace with his mind, but unwittingly, things hadn't stayed that way for long — because if there was anything Jungkook learnt from the couple of weeks spent with the refreshingly quirky boy, it was that no matter where the hell he was, having Kim Taehyung by his side made it impossible to stay gloomy over anything forever.

And just like that, having the five foot eight bundle of joy next to him right then, all his storms melted away in a flash — even if the boy was being a (cute) little pain in his at the time..

"Hey Jungkook, can we catch some butterflies? asked Taehyung at one point of their journey, eyes sparkly as ever when he spotted the fluttering kaleidoscope of wings by a shrub thicket just four paces away. Gosh, there were so many of them.

"—What?" Jungkook gaped, a heartbeat late. He paused the movement of his fingers over his screen, chatbox open and half filled with a reply to the text Jimin'd sent. "What like, right now?" He couldn't tell if Taehyung was serious.

"Yeah, can we?"

"...The girls are waiting, Tae."

"Oh, right. Later then."

"Yeah, maybe later."

"Okay." There was silence once more, and the brunette was back to typing, before, "Jungkook?"

"Yes, Taehyung?"

"Can we take a look at those flowers over there, just for a second?"

Jungkook wasn't sure why he bothered pausing to think then, but at the little twinkle that was already back in Taehyung's eyes the next time he cast the boy a glance, his words slipped before he could even realize it.  "...Fine, but just for a second."

And watching as the other literally jumped with joy, lighting up in a way that left Jungkook cursing at himself for saying no earlier, he couldn't help the smile that spread as long, slim fingers came to rest on his wrist, gentle and determined as ever, and there was nothing more that stopped the brunette from allowing himself to be tugged along by the cheerful little bubble that was Kim Taehyung.

The Kim Taehyung he'd walk to the ends of the Earth for.

"Omo, here they are!!!" Taehyung burst out over the abundance of purple coneflowers he'd been eyeing, dropping to a squat the moment he made it. Hands on the ground, he leaned forward to take a closer whiff, and hummed in content. "Mmm, they smell really good, just like vanilla."

Jungkook chuckled as he settled in the space beside him, ever adoring eyes lingering on the male rather than the blossoms by their feet. "Right. I'm guessing these your new favorite now?"

"Ehh, the dandelions we saw earlier were fun, but these are purple." Taehyung shrugged as if it were reason enough. "I love purple, and I love vanilla. So yes, I think these are my new favorite."

Jungkook chortled once more. "Seriously Tae, you like anything that's purple."

"Hey, no I don't."

"Oh yes you do."

"Well, I don't like the purple minion from that cartoon movie. What's it called? Despee...something Me?"

"That's—what the hell?"

Lips parting into a wide, open-mouthed grin, Taehyung giggled. "Gotcha!"

"Fine, I'll let you have this one." Jungkook said, totally not ogling at how Taehyung practically glowed it almost hurt. Adorable. "And when did you even watch that?"

"Jimin let me watch it when I saw Namjoon-hyung's phone cover the other time. I think I like it better than Up. But I still don't like the purple minions."

"Okay, I'm hurt you chose Despicable Me over Up."

"It made me cry, I don't like movies that make me sad."

"That was just one scene, Tae."

"I still feel sad."

"You can probably cry over anything."

"Hey! So not true."

"Whatever you say, Taehyung~"

And with another ridiculously adorable pout of his lips, Taehyung stuck out his tongue playfully at the other, before he was turning back to the flowers with a hand reaching for his phone in his back pocket, swiped to the camera app as he waddled closer.

Against the flourish of lilac wildflowers and green grass, crouched in his light grey pullover and black skinnies with petals between his fingers, there was something about that very sight of Taehyung that made Jungkook's own hands itch to capture it, right there in the open.

He sure looks really happy, he mused, half-marvelling and half-reeling in the scene of raw beauty of innocent joy; he could literally feel it from Taehyung, the sweet, budding warmth of cheeriness that rolled off the boy like low-tide waves. That was probably one of Jungkook's favorite things about being a werewolf — being able to pick up emotions like a scent — and being able to feel Taehyung that way brought an inexplicably exhilirating rush of ebullience to Jungkook, as strange as it sounded. It was like Taehyung was his own source of sunshine and Jungkook was on cloud nine; though, it wasn't enough for him to snap that picture in the end.

Maybe next time.

When they were were finally resuming their journey, it was the same as before — Taehyung skipping beside Jungkook with a smile brighter than the streets of New York City, while the other had his hands stuffed in his pockets amidst trudges of careful steps over the earth. Somewhere along their way, the silence had returned too, though no longer awkward but now soothing, enveloping them like a soft blanket rather than a stifling warmth.

Feeling oddly comfortable in the pleasant peace that had befallen, the two didn't break it for a while, each being occupied in their own worlds — Taehyung finding interest in a flock of birds and Jungkook somehow ending up gazing intently at Taehyung as he did so — but as the minutes ticked by and Taehyung had bounded away a couple of paces ahead, a familiar twinge of nerves began to settle unexpectedly in Jungkook's chest, weighing on him like a cloud of static.

There it was, the brooding, overthinking side of Jungkook — and just as quickly as it had appeared, the lightness in him was gone, in its place a frown that Taehyung didn't catch.

Wonder what he's so happy about, the brunette thought to himself, feeling the return of a little green monster fuzzing inside him.

Recalling the whole reason they were even out here in the first place, a single name had appeared in Jungkook's head, Seunghee, the brunette being unable to come up with any other explanation for the Taehyung's behaviour; but at a second thought, he shook that possibility away, mind already starting to drift back to its last state of reverie — to the last conversation he'd had with Seokjin that morning before they'd left.

 

///

"Hey, you're up early today. What's up?"

It was eight in the morning, and Seokjin was peeling carrots in the kitchen when Jungkook walked in.

"Nothing. I just, couldn't sleep."

"Tsk. And what exactly do you have to think about at your age in life?"

Jungkook paused to think. Well, where should I start? Oh, how about whether Taehyung will like Seunghee more than he likes me, and what if he forgets about me or what if he wants to spend more time with her and not me, or what if—

"School, and stuff," he said instead, and Seokjin hummed dismissively.

"Right," he scoffed, before picking up another carrot. "Anyway, I have the day off today, and Hoseok rented a couple of DVDs last night. Final Destination, I think. Thought we could have a horror marathon later. You, Jimz and Taehyung will be home right? It's been a while since we all last hung out together."

"Oh." Damn, it was movie night. Jungkook loved their movie nights. "Actually, I uh, don't know about Jimin but, uh... Taehyung and I, won't be here today."

"Oh? And where are you two going?"

"Some spring festival in town I think, the one at the big old park. We have—" Jungkook hesitated, "—a date."

The peeler slipped from Seokjin's hand, falling to the floor with a clatter. "You, and Taehyung, what??"

"I mean, we have a date— with other people. A double date, me with Jiyoo, and Taehyung with— this girl from school."

"I... see. Sorry I just, it didn't seem like Taehyung looked ready for that sort of, human interaction."

"He's uh, actually been doing well in school, on the people side."

"So who asked who?"

"Uh, well, about that— actually, Jimin and I, we might have helped."

He gulped when Seo kjin shot him a glare that demanded 'explain'. "We just thought that, if Taehyung had someone special to him, like an anchor, it would help him control his change better. Like how it worked for me."

"And you're certain that he likes this girl?"

"Y-Yeah."

"Your heart's jumping, Jungkook."

"Hyung-"

"Does Taehyung even know what it means to like a person in the first place?"

"Well, I mean, Jimin and I explained to him about it, and stuff."

"By the moon, Jungkook." The elder sighed deeply, running a hand over his forehead. "Listening to definitions and actually experiencing the real deal are two entirely different things. Are you absolutely sure he likes her, and isn't just confusing her for a friend?"

"I—" The younger paused, taken aback by his question. "T-That's the point of the date. For Tae to find out whether he really does like her or not." He hoped Seokjin wouldn't catch the waver in his words, but from the skeptical furrow of the other's brows and narrowed eyes, he knew he wasn't convincing anyone.

"I really don't wanna be the annoying, naggy hyung, so I'm not gonna say anymore," Seokjin said after a while, folding his arms in concede. "But for everyone's sake, I really hope you know what you're doing."

"I do," Jungkook started to say, but as the elder's words slowly began to set in his head, he suddenly wasn't so sure of himself anymore, and before Seokjin could call his bluff, he left.

///

 

Back at that moment, it probably never occured to Jungkook that maybe he'd made the wrong move, that there was ever a chance he'd misread Taehyung's poise to the whole dating thing. But looking at it again now, he was beginning to pick up all the little details he'd missed before, and when he did, he had a bad, bad feeling that it was all going to turn out to be a big mistake.

Because Taehyung never actually said he liked Seunghee.

And Seokjin was right.

Taehyung was confused.

"Jungkook?"

At the call of his name, the brunette was broken out of his train of thought, and coming back to reality, he turned his head to find Taehyung staring at him curiously.

"Yeah?" Jungkook managed, voice slightly shaky for some reason.

The other gave him a once over in concern. "You look a little weird. Are you okay?"

They had slowed into a stroll now, and were approaching the barbed wire fence that held a 'Keep Out' sign on the other side. Almost there.

"I'm fine," Jungkook assured, speaking more firmly. "I was just, thinking."

"Oh, well, what about? Cuz you had this look on your face like you were sad, or something," said Taehyung, which raised the other's brows.

"Ah, that's uh, no, that's just, uh, my normal thinking face. I wasn't sad, I promise," Jungkook tried to say, in between the small laugh he'd let out in attempt to hide his uneasiness.

He took another breath. It's now or never.

"And actually, I was uh, thinking about you."

Taehyung's own brows raised. "Oh, really? What about me?"

"Just wondering what is it you're so excited about, you know, for today." Smooth, Jungkook. Smooth.

Lips pulling into a thoughtful pout, Taehyung hummed consideringly, tapping a finger to his chin. "Well, actually I never really thought of it, since I've never been to a carnival so I'm not sure what to expect."

Reaching the fence now, they swung themselves over the metal one after another, jumping effortlessly with their inhuman abilities. Taehyung landed softly on the grass next to Jungkook. "No wait, I know!" He said then, a grin spreading across his face. "I really wanna ride on that big round spinning thingy with a lot of horses, the one you showed me in the picture. Ah, and the pirate ship! Yeah, that's it. I can't wait to see them."

"Oh," was all Jungkook managed, feeling a prickle making its way up the back of his neck. "That's... good." Not really. "Eh, anything else?"

Another hum. "Hmm, not for now. Maybe I'll know when we get there. In the meantime, you can tell me what you like about that place."

And that was it. No 'I'm looking forward to seeing Seunghee again'. No 'I wonder what rides she likes'. No 'What should I talk to her about?' Or 'Do you think she's excited to see me too?'

He didn't forget about her, did he?

"Well, what about Seunghee?" Jungkook prompted carefully. "You're excited to see her too, right?" 

Perking up at the mention of the female name, Taehyung snapped his fingers. "Oh, of course! I mean, I don't know much about her yet, but Jimin says she's nice. I hope she'll be as fun as you though. I like people who are like you."

"Wait, what—" Taken aback, Jungkook nearly tripped over his own feet. He stared incredulously at the other. "Why?"

He almost wished he hadn't asked, because the next thing that Taehyung said was, "Well, because you're the first person I've trusted for a really long time, since I became human again. So you're still the person I like the most."

Now Jungkook really did trip, bumping into of all places, Taehyung's side, and the latter's arm automatically came to curl around his waist.

"Woah, are you okay?"

"F-Fine," Jungkook stumbled, jolting away so fast it stunned Taehyung, and he hurried off to hide his embarrassment. "Just a, stupid rock I didn't see."

He could feel Taehyung's questioning gaze burning at the plane of his back, but he didn't stop to wait for him to catch up, knowing Taehyung was probably going to say something that would make the redness blooming along his cheeks only grow worse. He never got to find out if he really did though, as a honk had sounded in the distance, and when he looked up, there was a white Prius parked by the side of the road that met the threshold of the woods, two girls nestled in the front seats. They waved.

Gulping nervously, he waved back.

God, please don't let this be a mistake.

 

~

 

In one word — awkward — was how Jungkook pictured the car ride when he and Taehyung loaded themselves up in the backseat; but, contrary to his prediction, it wasn't as awkward as he thought, and Taehyung's whimsicality proved to be a good attribute to starting up conversations.

Even without the booming radio, there was nothing awkward about the way Taehyung easily sparked and held topics with Jiyoo and Seunghee throughout the half hour drive to Ayata Park — the biggest, oldest park of Shinbi town known specially for the yearly festival it hosted — fitting in well on his own that Jungkook didn't even have to do anything and kept to himself for most of the trip. This, he was grateful for, what with the buzzing going on in his head that just wouldn't stop, and it probably took him forever to finally settle it down — or rather, the whole drive.

They'd arrived by the time he finally looked out the window.

"Oh my gosh, it looks so amazing!" was the first thing that left Taehyung's lips when the group began to exit Jiyoo's car, the boy a mess of gasps and squeals at the dazzling mix of colors and humans all around him.

As expected of the town's most anticipated festivity of the year, the place was already packed with people by the time they — Jungkook, Taehyung, Jiyoo and Seunghee — got there, bustling with families and groups of friends, young and old, streaming about the many set-ups of the carnival. Just as Taehyung had seen in pictures he'd searched up, large rides were scattered all over the park, old school favorites like a carousel, bumper cars, pirate ship, ferris wheel and more, where lines of never-ending queues stretched on. Food stalls fitted between the rides, selling cotton candy, popcorn, jumbo hot dogs, tacos, monster burgers and every other street classic everyone grew up with. Music blasted from speakers that added on to the vibrancy around, and all Taehyung could think of was where he should look first, so enamored by how much more spectacular everything was compared to what he'd imagined.

"It sure is awesome, right?" Jiyoo giggled as they made it to the ticket counter, her expression a mirror of Taehyung's. "I used to always come here with my parents as a kid. It's not exactly the same as it was before, but I still love it."

Attention now latched to the carousel he'd been raving about the previous night, Taehyung's lips parted into an 'O'. "I never knew such a place could exist," he said. "I've never seen anything like it."

Brows raising at his odd words, Seunghee blinked at him. "You've never been to a carnival before?" She asked, surprise laced in her voice because what eighteen year old teenager didn't know about carnivals, and that happened to alarm Jungkook.

"Tae's uh, family wasn't so...fun back in Gwacheon," he intercepted swiftly then, giving Taehyung a side-eye as if to say Remember your backstory.

Realizing his tiny mistake, Taehyung smiled sheepishly. "Uh, yeah. I didn't get to... go out much. We didn't have a car and my family was always busy."

"Oh, that's a shame," Seunghee frowned. "Well, lucky you're here in Shinbi then, huh? With a cousin like Jimin and Jungkook as a friend."

At her words, Taehyung's fleeting nervousness melted away and his grin became more genuine, as he cast a glance towards Jungkook. "Yeah, I guess I really am lucky."

Not knowing what to say, Jungkook simply smiled back and looked away, trying to ignore the weird feeling that returned in his tummy.

Why does he keep saying such things? He thought, trying hard not to recall the last conversation he'd had with Taehyung back when they'd been in the woods. The memory itself was already doubling the churning already inside him.

I like people who are like you, he'd said. You're still the person I like the most.

What had he meant by that? Jungkook wasn't sure he really wanted to know.

After getting their tickets and finally joining the crowd past the gates, the four decided on taking turns to pick out a ride. Taehyung had the honors first, being new to the whole carnival thing, and of course, he picked the carousel. Coincidentally, it was Seunghee's favorite ride too, and they'd went off together wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter