The Cabin in the Woods

Midnight Sanctuary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
one the cabin in the woods

 

"Oh my god, someone turn that damn thing off already!!!"

Jungkook shot up from the bed with a start at the shriek that came from the bunk above him, knocking his head painfully against the wooden platform in the process. A hushed groan left him in a whine as he clutched the pounding area gingerly, now wide awake and fully aware of how loud his phone was ringing under his pillow.

Running his hands blindly around the sheets, he got ahold of it after five long seconds of searching, much to the dismay of his temporary roommate that morning, and switched the alarm off.

"Man, I ing hate Sunday night sleepovers," said the limp figure lying above him in a drowsy murmur. "What are you even doing in here...in my room...on Jin's bed..."

Still stuck in the last remnants of the dream he'd had, Jungkook took a few moments to bask in the lavish softness of the comforter tangled around his legs, before rubbing lazily at his eyes and lifting his lids to meet the faint glow of the sun's rays, peeking from the blinds by the window.

"Jimin wanted to have a Dragon Ball marathon with Jin hyung," he finally answered in the middle of a drawling yawn, his own voice still heavy with sleepiness. "They made me switch rooms."

"Well do yourself a favor and get your ears checked... Seriously, you have superhearing and still can't wake up to a damn alarm..." Yoongi droned on, before trailing off and slipping back into a deep, arm-dangling-off-the-bed slumber.

Chuckling lightly to himself at the humor he found in the elder's crankiness, the younger climbed out — unwillingly — from the bed and stretched his arms above his head. With another yawn, he grabbed his discarded shirt off the floor and shrugged it on as he headed out, perking up instantly at the delicious aroma of freshly brewed coffee, melted cinnamon and caramel that filled his nostrils upon his exit.

Gosh, how much he loved spending time at the cabin, the cozy, two-storey space of warmth that had unconsciously become his second home. Lying in the heart of the woods, in the small town of Shinbi, it was his favourite place to be, in a way that was comparable to the playground he used to visit everyday back when he was a kid. Apart from the occasional shortage of hot water supply for showers, Jungkook had everything he could ever want there, from an awesome playstation set, to a backyard, to absolute freedom; though it wasn't that his own home didn't offer him any of those. As a matter of fact, he had a great one, with a doting mother he equally loves and would do anything for. The one thing that made all the difference though, was that here, he could truly be himself, and seek the comfort he needed whenever the secrecy of his double-life became too much to bare.

That's right, Jeon Jungkook was a fricking werewolf.

Bitten by mistake at the age of sixteen, he'd spent the past six months struggling to grasp onto the world of the supernatural he'd been thrown into, a world he'd so strongly believed was a bunch of fictional nonsense. It sure as hell wasn't easy, suddenly being part of a species that meant trouble if your emotions aren't in check, and one that had so many damn enemies he wondered what his 'ancestors' ever did to piss them all off. Once he got used to it though, the changing, the fear, the battles, the superhuman senses and strength, there was nothing more he raved about than the next supernatural mess he was gonna face.

The other good thing that had come from this unexpected new life, was the people who came along with it: his pack. In so many ways, the five of them — Namjoon, Seokjin, Yoongi, Hoseok and Jimin — were like the brothers he never had, always looking out for him and bringing out the best in him. They'd been there every step of his journey, his first transformation, his first full moon, training him how to fight, defend himself, and keep his emotions in control. They were even there for the hardest part, where he had to tell his mom about what he was and the bizarre world he now lives in.

It's certainly been a crazy ride, sometimes filled with moments where he would regret ever stepping out of his house the night he was bitten. But at the end of the day, he'd always go to sleep thinking how lucky he was to be a part of it, and the very thought brought a big smile to his lips that morning, one he wore all the way to the kitchen.

"Good morning Jungkook," Seokjin greeted him from the stove as the latter shuffled in, with his signature feet-dragging-that-always-gets-on-Hoseok's-nerves.

The said male looked up from the newspapers he'd been reading at the dining table. "Yah, is it really that hard to lift your feet when you walk?"

Jungkook took his time to saunt over to Seokjin, and pushed himself up to sit on the counter next to the melted cinnamon scones — his favourite.

"Morning hyung~" He said to the broad-shouldered male, plopping a scone into his unbrushed mouth before turning to Hoseok. "And yes, actually it is, because my legs are kiiiiiiiilling me. I swear, it's like you're all out to break my bones during trainings."

The squint of annoyance on Hoseok's face was replaced by a teasing grin. "Aww, is lifting trees too much for little Kookie?"

"N-No— Well, they were frickin big trees. And there were like 50 of them."

"15, actually. Jimin lifted more than you though." The smile on Hoseok only grew as Jungkook continued to ramble, in an amusing attempt to defend his manliness and pride.

"All right enough you two!" Seokjin cut in, waving his spatula in the air. "And Jungkook, for the love of god please go brush your teeth before you eat. You're gonna be late for school."

"Okay moooom," the younger boy said as he slipped off from the counter, purposefully placing emphasis on the last word knowing how much Seokjin hated to be called that, and cracked up at the elder's glare.

"Hey by the way, where is Ji—"

The door swung open before Seokjin could finish his sentence, and in jogged a panting, sweaty Jimin.

"Found him," said Hoseok without looking up from his papers.

"Morning guys!" The cheerful, blonde-haired boy beamed as he strolled over to the fridge, and grabbed the carton of chocolate milk.

"Hey Jims, how was your jog? Seen anything weird, any dead bodies lying around?" Hoseok asked.

"Nope, not today. Didn't smell anything but deer either," Jimin replied, and brought the carton to his lips, an action that made Seokjin's jaw drop on sight.

"BY THE MOON, PARK JIMIN STOP DRINKING STRAIGHT FROM THE CARTON! Seriously, of all people why did Namjoon have to go around and bite teenagers?"

 

 

 

The shiny, silver Lexus SUV was a starking contrast among the duller, color-worn hand-me-down Nissans and Hondas cruising along the road, a telltale sign of wealth in the small town of Shinbi, thought Jungkook as he stared out the window of his alpha's luxurious car.

He's asked once out of curiosity when he noticed how well-off Namjoon seemed to be, what with the cabin he owns, the abundance of furniture and gadgets in there (he even has his own studio), not to mention the bills must be sky high after all the time they spent on the PS4 with Overwatch, yet he's never seen him actually go to work or hold a job. Inheritance was what the alpha had said, and he could only imagine how rich his family is to even have their own secret bank vault. Well, they are a long line of great alphas. Maybe power did mean money.

Tearing his gaze away from the outside, the brunette took a sip of the bubble tea they'd gotten along the way, and diverted his attention back to the conversation Jimin was having with Namjoon — who was driving them to school.

"I still don't get it," the blonde said, bending f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter