Playdate: The Words

PLAYDATE

 

Yeahhh!!" 


Jimin, four years of age, screamed with a toy truck in hand as he raced with his unmoving toys. With every step he made he picks up a stuffed animal by his side and moves them forward again and again until they reached the finish line.

 

Quite a sad scene to watch actually. Being the only child in the family at such a young age, it was expected that he would end up playing by himself when nobody was around.

 

As his race came to an end, the chubby boy clapped for his 'friends' and brought them to his little play table.

 

"Friends, I'll make you some food in a while! Aigoo, you guys did well. Stay there and wait for me", he mimicked what his parents would tell him. He waddled to his play kitchen and started 'cooking'. 

 

Then, somebody came knocking on his door. 'Don't let strangers in the room Jiminnie okay?', a reminder played in his brain before he approached the door. Quietly he stood in front of the door and put his ear and hands against it.

 

"Who's there?", he asked.

 

"Let me in Jiminnie, it 's me eommoni", His mother replied from behind the door.

 

His face immediately lit up. His mother rarely visited his room ever since she got busy with work. That was why he looked forward to simple things like diaper changes, bath time, and at night when she comes to let him sleep.

 

"Eomma!", he cheered happily as he twisted the knob (he struggled given that he's a short toddler)
He couldn't be happier when his mother stepped into the room. He hugged her legs and jumped about accompanied by giggles.

 

His mother chuckled and pat his head.
"Jiminnie, you'll have a friend now to play with.", Jimin stared at her in anticipation whilst clapping.

 

"This is Jungkook.Be good to him okay?", his mom gestured to the shy little boy wrapped around an unfamiliar woman's leg who was crying quietly.
He stared at the boy then approached him. The boy seemed to cower even more.

 

"Jungkook, don't cry. Hyung will take care of you", he said as he pat Jungkook's head.

 

"Jimminie, I eomma will go out, okay? Till then, behave okay? And no fighting.", she said before she left the room.

 

When their parents had left, they sat down across each other on Jimin's play table. The little boy was still sniffling. Jimin didn't know what to do anymore.

 

He tried everything from food to stories to pats. Nothing seemed to calm the younger down. 

 

Jimin tried scolding to stop the tears from falling down. He stomped his stubby feet and said, "Jungkookie don't cry anymore or I'll get mad!", The younger was taken back and stared at him. Jimin thought his method finally worked. 

 

"was born first. I am four years old! I demand you not to cry!", he smiled triumphantly.

 

It seemed to make things worse Jungkook burst into even bigger tears and louder cries, now Jungkook was shaking.

 

A pang of guilt shook Jimin. He didn't want to make the baby cry. He just thought that if he followed what his dad used to do it'd work.

 

He thought long and hard then he remembered something that always calms him down whenever he cried by himself.

 

He stood up and waddled to the tv. Jungkook followed him while rubbing his eyes and crying.
"Jungkookie sit down.", he said calmly as he turned the tv on.

 

His favorite show played. Jungkook stopped crying almost instantly as the show started. He watched in awe, jaw dropped and eyes widened.

 

Soon enough Jimin forgot everything in his surroundings and started singing along to the theme song. He stood up and started dancing. He shook his hips left and right to the beat of the opening theme and waved his arms in sync.

 

The younger observed what Jimin did and copied him perfectly. They giggled and jumped around the room.

 

When the song ended the main character started asking questions. The usual painfully obvious questions.
"I need to visit grandma! Where is my bag? Can you find my bag?"

"There  there THERE!", Jimin exclaimed.

"Where is it? The LEFT or the RIGHT?", the character asked.

 

"THERE IT IS. THERE.", jimin screamed as he stuck to the tv and pointed at the bag on the screen. 
Jungkook looked around and brought a bag lying around Jimin's room and brought it to the television. "Here!", he waved the bag in front of the tv.

 

Well they weren't the smartest children. At least they technically got it right.


Jungkook's monthly playdates with Jimin soon turned weekly, in summer they'd stay over at each other place almost daily.

 

Through the years, they've grown so much since their first playdate. From playing cops and robbers to playing pranks on each other.

 

Summer days were filled with restless chasing and playing. Nights spent stargazing on the roof and hiding under the blankets to read stories and sing songs.

 

All of those ended when Jimin turned twelve. Their parents stopped arranging playdates. 

 

They had to take matters into their own hands. They are after all best of friends. They'd call each other on the telephone and meet up despite having school.

 

One particular meet up in Jimin's rose-colored age of sixteen was embroidered vividly, beautifully, on the fabric of his mind.

 

Above the bright lights of the city, beneath the soft flower bushes, Jungkook led him into a whole new emotion.

 

His act could be seen by some as romantic. Others may see it as cliché but to Jimin it was everything that pulled his heart strings and made him believe that he could have somebody to spend eternity with.


They had decided to meet up at the usual empty park. It was nighttime, the moon was out and stars were shining bright. Nobody resided near that place and people barely visited.


Jungkook waited for Jimin to arrive as he sat on the swing. He was nervous and was excited. He whistled a tune and swung gently. He stopped to think of his plans for tonight and smiled cheekily.

 

"Jungkookie~", Jimin screamed as he ran towards the swing. He wore a bright neon oversized sweater and pants.


Jungkook shot up to see him and smiled. He stood up and hugged his friend shortly as he hugged back. "Hey where the sun at? Your clothes hurt my eyes.", he joked and earned a punch to his gut.


"I wanted to look brighter than the moon", Jimin said as he ran his hands through his hair.


Jungkook laughed tactlessly and clutched his stomach.


"Hey I'm tired from walking!", jimin said in a desperate attempt to change the topic.

 

"let's sit over there by the fallen treehouse", Jungkook pointed at the spot.

 

Jimin laughed as he sat down. "Woah, you even prepared food this time.", Jimin exclaimed as his smile widened. He laughed and opened the lunch box he brought. A simple lunch set and a few sidedishes. They sat across each other and ate quietly for a few moments.

 

"Your mom cooks great at usual.", Jimin commented.

 

Jungkook laughed dryly and stared at Jimin's face. He raised a brow and smiled. The other slowly face the younger with a look of realization.

 

"Oh! You cooked this? Wow this is amazing. When did you?", He exclaimed excitedly. Jungkook wasn't one to cook. Jimin knew that all too well.

 

"I wanted to surprise you. I'm good right?", he arched an eyebrow as he bragged.

 

"Yeah really good. It tastes great. ", Jimin chuckled out as he had a spoonful.


Jungkook looked down and smiled. "That's good. I made it especially for you. ".They exchanged smiles and continued eating.

 

When they were through eating Jungkook kept the food and they had their usual stargazing. Jimin lying on his chest. Jungkook's arms around the older. Faces centimeters apart. Jimin just then realized how big Jungkook has grown. His scent was not that of baby cologne and sweat anymore. He was Jimin's definition of home. He nuzzled into the embrace even more.

 

If this happened back when they were small, it would be seen as an adorable brotherly hug but now things have changed. Jimin was not anymore the four year old playmate. Jungkook was no longer the baby in a diaper. They had both matured in their own ways.

 

"Jimin", Jungkook called out nervously. In comparison, Jimin's reply was rather calm.

 

"Yes?", he sat up and looked at Jungkook.

 

He took a deep breathe and looked at Jimin intently. "Do you like me?"

 

Then came his immediate reply.
"Of course I do", he said as he rested his face on his knees.

 

"More than your crushes on tv?", Jungkook asked as he looked to the sky, a blush creeping up his face.

 

Jimin leaned back and put his head against Jungkook's arm. "You're the best kookie" 

 

Jungkook paused to think of what to say.

 

"Just say it", Jimin looked up at him.

 

He looked down and let the words slip out of his mouth.

 

"I love you"