Rose's Garden

Phoenix and Roses

Byun Baekhyun was the only son of a rich merchant, Byun Banryu. He had started with a small business inherited from his father and slowly had built a big fortune; along the lines he had met his wife, Lee Hyemin who was daughter of a rich merchant as well. She was a beautiful and lovely woman and he loved her the most, soon they have a son and all can say that Banryu life was the perfect picture of happiness but for him there was something that still was missing.

Since he was little and watched the nobles that sometimes visited his father store he had always wanted to be part of that world, he dreamed about it and when he had had enough money to try to reach that goal he immediately had put his plan in action and in it Baekhyun was an essential part.

Since Baekhyun had born he had put a lot of effort in made him a desirable consort for a noble, along with all the fancy stuff his money can buy to his son also his education was the best, he made sure that just the best tutors taught his son and a big plus was Baekhyun’s looks. It was obvious to anyone how beautiful the boy was. He has this pale, flawless skin with delicate features that looked almost feminine all that framed with soft auburn hair. Banryu thought that his son was the whole package and he hoped noble women and men noticed it, and he made sure to show it by offering regular parties at his house where he invited his noble customers.

If you asked Baekhyun about his father’s plan he will probably said he has fine with it as long as he made his parents happy. That was until the day he met Park Chanyeol.

**

The huge hanok that was his house the rose garden was Baekhyun’s favorite part of it maybe it was because it was a place where he can find peace away from his many tutors and his parents who also seemed to respect that because they didn’t disturb him when he decided to hide there. And after he met Chanyeol he started to like it even more. Baekhyun was not a social person not because he didn’t want to interact but mostly because the persons he was introduce to, by his father, were not of his liking, all were kind of pretentious and boring and he preferred to stay away from them so the presence of Park Chanyeol was a big lure to his loneliness.

Once a week the Knight will go to visit him, he will jump over the wall of the garden and they will spend hours just talking and laughing. Chanyeol told him about his life at the Sacred City, about his friends and his missions and even he was teaching him to use the sword something that his father wouldn’t allow. Baekhyun on his part told him about his family and complained about his annoying tutors. They get along so well that it just seemed they have known each other for a lifetime and in a blink of an eye two years had passed.

“You look worried” Chanyeol said while Baekhyun observed Mochi playing with his robes.

“We have an invite for dinner…” the boy said avoiding eye contact. “But my father was acting weird about it I’m just a little worried.”

“Why?” the Knight asked confused.

“Just… never mind” Baekhyun said not wanting to share his father’s plans with the Knight. “Where did you tell me you are from, Yeol?” he asked changing the topic and it took a moment to the Knight to process the question his mind still stuck on the pet name.

“From the Red Desert” he answered after a minute and then he realized that in all the time they had met he never had actually told Baekhyun about his family. When they met they talked about what had happened in the days they don’t have seen each other which depending if Chanyeol had went out in a mission could be even a month, two months had been the longest time they hadn’t seen each other.

“Really? That is really far isn’t it?” the taller nodded. “That’s cool. And what your family does?” At this Chanyeol doubted to answer that, all in the Sacred City knew he has a Crown Prince but wasn’t sure about if he should be telling to anybody else.

“My father is at the government” he said a little awkward.

“Like a Magistrate?”

“Yeah, something like that” he felt bad for lie to Baekhyun.

“Your family is noble?”

“Yes” at least he wasn’t lying on that. They continued to talk a little more till it was time for Chanyeol to leave. “I will see you soon”

“Tomorrow?” Baekhyun asked hopefully.

“Sorry, not that soon” Chanyeol smiled to him and in a sudden rush of bravery he placed a kiss on Baekhyun pretty hand before rushing over the wall leaving a startled boy behind.

**

“You are distracted” his mother voice pulled him out of his thoughts.

“Oh, I’m sorry, it’s nothing I’m fine” Baekhyun said focusing in the book in his hands; he hadn’t change the page in twenty minutes or so.

“Your father may not notice it but… you have been different from some time now, you looked more happy and comfortable” Baekhyun blushed at the words. “And I would like to know why but I’ll wait when you are ready to tell us”

“I don’t want to marry… at least not with anyone my father introduce me” he whispered to his mom.

“You know how is your father about that issue and… not all are that bad”

“But I don’t like them! I want to marry Chan…” he stopped midsentence terrify about what he almost said and looking at his mom with a shocked expression didn’t help at all.

“Who?”

“No one” the woman smiled at his son embarrassment.

“Well, if you tell me I’ll help you for now let’s get ready for the dinner and make sure to point to your father that whoever is present tonight is not of your liking” Hyemin said with a smile and stood up leaving.

**

The dinner was really uncomfortable and even when Baekhyun made clear his distaste with his suitor his father seemed oblivious to it and actually seemed to really like his guests. They were Wu Yifeng and his son Yifan; their family was an honorable noble family of Muyeokdo and even when they were polite Baekhyun didn’t like Yifan a bit.

“What your son thinks of my son?” Banryu asked in one point of the dinner.

  1. is pretty” Yifan answered with a straight face clearly as uncomfortable as Baekhyun.

“Of course he is! And he is smart too…” his father kept rambling the rest of the night about him.

**

“I like you” Baekhyun declared firstly when he saw Chanyeol the next time.

“What?”

Clearly that wasn’t the welcoming he had been expected and even when he had been dreaming about hearing those words for a moment he was too shocked to answer.

“You don’t like me?” Baekhyun asked his voice sad.

“I like you!” Chanyeol exclaimed still not really knowing what was happening but not wanting Baekhyun to misunderstand his feelings for him.

“Really?” the small askes surprised but happy.

“Really, I like you a lot” the Knight answered.

“Since when?” the boy asked cheeky.

“I think since the first time I see you” Chanyeol said nearing the giggling boy.

“That’s cheesy”

“I know” the taller said and taking Baekhyun face in his hands he placed a chaste kiss on his lips.

“So now, what?” the boy asked hesitant when they broke apart.

“I don’t really know” Chanyeol admitted. “I think it means I’m courting you, right?” Baekhyun smiled brightly at him.

“Good, because there is something that I need to tell you” Baekhyun said serious.

**

“You are an idiot” that was the first thing that Kyungsoo said when Chanyeol finished to explain him.

“Why you said that?” Chanyeol asked frowning.

“Because is true” Kyungsoo said starting to feel a headache.

“Are gonna help me or not?” the Knight asked still confused at his cousin attitude.

“Of course I would, but let me make clear to you that this is not an easy task. You clearly don’t see that you are not a common person or maybe your stay here have make you to forget it but you are a Prince and someday you would be King so unfortunately your life companion is not a matter that concern only to you but to the whole kingdom because it can be used to gain economic, political or any other advantage but here you are wanting to marry the son of a merchant who by the way doesn’t even know that you are courting his son.”

“I didn’t think about that” Chanyeol admitted embarrassed.

“Of course you didn’t” Kyungsoo said irritated. “But I will help you, I will talk with your parents but I don’t assure anything at the end it would be their decision if they allow you this marriage or not”

“Thanks, Soo”

“Don’t thank me yet” the male said annoyed. “Just to confirm, Baekhyun knows that he is being court by a Crown Prince?”

“He just know I’m a Knight” Chanyeol said awkward. “I also wanted to ask you if I should tell him who I’m”

“It would be nice if he actually knows who is going to marry” Kyungsoo said rolling his eyes. “Idiot. I would solve this, ok?” Chanyeol nodded. “Is there anyone on Baekhyun side who can help us?”

**

When Hyemin received an invitation of someone called Do Kyungsoo to have lunch she wasn’t suspicious at all, usually she will receive a lot of invitations of the sort because who her husband was but she was surprised when Baekhyun immediately agreed to accompany her because her son wasn’t fond on those kinds on meetings but said nothing mostly because his son had been kind of jumpy lately for whatever reason.

“Mon, what are you wearing to the meal?” Baekhyun asked when she was just picking her clothes, she started to get suspicious.

“I was thinking in use this blue robes” she said pointing to one of deep blue color.

“Can you were something red?” the boy asked awkward and that definitely was suspicious.

“Anything else?”

“And gold, use something golden and gold jewels” the boy added avoiding his gaze and was the when she noticed that his son was wearing those colors.

“Baekhyun, what’s going on?”

“I will explain you later at the meal” the boy said and she got more confused.

“At the meal? What do you..?” then an idea came to her. “Is this for the person you want to marry?” and when his son blushed crimson she knew she was right. “Oh god, this is so exciting! So I’m meeting her or him?”

“Mom!”

“Ok, I will wait” she said with a big smile. “Now go out so I can change and we can leave” Baekhyun nodded and left the room when her mom’s maid entered to help her to dress. Hyemin was so excited about knowing the person his son was in love with because of course she had noticed that her son was in love. Just when she was finished putting some jewels on she realized something, his husband was away on a travel, the boy was smart no doubt she chuckled.

**

They were drove in the carriage to a nearby hanok which was almost as big as theirs, a maid at the door received them and took them to the garden where a tent had been put up and under it the table and cushions where the meal would take place.

“Masters will be here in a moment, please take seat I will bring you some tea” the maid said and left with a bow.

“This place is fancy so I guess the suitor is pretty rich, that will please your father a little” Hyemin said realizing that she was the one to convince her husband about the marriage so she needed to take notes of all good traits of the suitor.

Baekhyun at his side remained quiet because he still was shocked about what Chanyeol had told him days ago, it was so incredible that he kind of expected to this turn into a prank where Chanyeol would just said he was kidding about all what he had said or even worse, he will not appear. But Chanyeol would do that, right?

“Baekhyun, are you listening to me?” his mom said waking him up of his reverie. Before he could answer a man entered the garden and walked to them, he was kind of short, had fair skin and big eyes. “Is him?” Hyemin whispered to his son who denied.

“Good afternoon. Sorry for the waiting” he said bowing to them. “I’m Do Kyungsoo, nice to meet you. I’m Park Chanyeol cousin” he said looking at Baekhyun. “That will be your son’s suitor” he added looking to Hyemin. “He will be here in a minute, he is changing his robes because he just arrived from the Sacred City”

“He is a Knight?” Hyemin asked surprised and that to her was a plus to him because to be a Knight was a big honor.

“Yes, he is” Kyungsoo answered. “And because of that reaction I guess you are not aware of anything at all so meanwhile we wait let me explain you what is going on or at least what I know.” He made a pause and then started talking. “My cousin told me that he met Baekhyun a little more than two years ago on his way here because like you may notice our housed are close. After their first met they started to see each other and after all this time they have decided they want to get marry. I know this is not conventional but for what Chanyeol has told me even when secretly their courting had been nothing but appropriate. Till here I would like to hear your opinion, madam?”

“First of all I would like to tell that for someone that looks as young as you your way with words is impressive” she said with a smile. “Now about the matter in hand, you are right, this is pretty unconventional but for my son happiness I’m willing to help, you have impressed me and if your cousin is like you I would be really happy. I must said though that my husband would be hard to convince because he had some very specific requirements for our son’s suitor.”

“I’m aware of that, which brings me to the second point.” Kyungsoo made a pause to organize his thoughts. “I must say that my cousin suits perfectly your husband requirements, he is rich and noble. However the really important issue here is if Baekhyun is going to be a good consort for my cousin? I don’t mean to be rude but… we, my cousin and I, are foreigners we came to Muyeokdo because he was called to serve as a Knight and I came along to watch over him, but in the Red Desert, our home, he is the only son of King Park Myungyeol , which make him the Crown Prince.”

Just when he finished talking Chanyeol walked into the garden his blue attire of Knight changed to the golden and red of his royal rank. To say that Hyemin was surprised was and understatement before she could process what was happening she bowed all the way down his head touching the ground while Baekhyun stood shocked at the realization that Chanyeol hadn’t lied to him.

“I’m Park Chanyeol, Crown Prince of the Red Desert” Chanyeol said awkward, it had been long since he introduced himself using his title. “Please, standup” he felt bad when Hyemin rushed to her feet.

“Nice to meet you, your Highness. I’m Lee Hyemin” the lady said nervous.

“Don’t be so formal,” Kyungsoo said. “I asked Chanyeol to wear his royal clothes not to brag about it but to put the situation in the right perspective which is that my cousin someday is going to be King so his consort is not a matter to take lightly. He is in love with Baekhyun and I promise to help him with this marriage but I will not do it till I’m convinced that Baekhyun is if not the perfect consort for a King at least a good material to be one. In order to do this I’m asking to have constant visits with Baekhyun and all his family for a month, is there anything you want to add, madam?” Kyungsoo asked to the lady how was still very shocked.

“No, I agree to the visits it will be an honor” she answered quickly. “Is this… real?” Kyungsoo laughed a little at this and deciding that he had been formal enough he cheered up a little.

“It’s, now let’s eat” he made a signal and maids started to set the table.

“I’m really sorry that my courting with Baekhyun hasn’t been more formal” Chanyeol said to Hyemin.

“There’s nothing that can be done about that, but I would like to hear exactly how you met” she said a little more relaxed and Chanyeol and Baekhyun explained to her how it had been the first encounter.

The rest of the meal passed quickly and calmly. By the end of it Hyemin discussed with Kyungsoo how the meetings will take place while Chanyeol and Baekhyun talked apart.

“So it was true” Baekhyun said to Chanyeol the first thing.

“Yeah, sorry for not telling you before I will understand if you don’t want to marry me anymore” the prince said sad.

“I want to marry you I’m just shocked at all this” the boy said and the taller hugged him carefully. “And I’m not sure if I could be a good consort for a King. Your cousin is going to test me, is going to be hard?”

“Don’t worry you are going to do fine” Chanyeol assured. “He looks more scary than he is” the prince was more worried about his father opinion but didn’t say anything about that. After all was settled Baekhyun and his mom left.