The Prince of the Red Desert

Phoenix and Roses

The Red Desert was six days away the Sacred City, passing the Whispering Forests bordering with Lonely Mountains. Thought it was a desert certainly it wasn’t a desolate place, actually it bloomed with life.

It was said that the Red Desert was born when a giant phoenix died in the place. The fire of its death had made the desert, its blood the many wells of water from where the oasis born, his feathers the gold and the gems in which the place was so rich and lastly from its heart the people of the desert.

The place was so beautiful even when it was a desert, its red stone made look like it actually was burning when it was the sunrise and the sunset. In its large territory there were a lot of oasis that paint in exuberant green the red of the desert, in these oasis the people built their houses in the red stone itself to made them fresh, and also they built fountains and aqueducts to cultivate the fertile ground of these small paradises within the desert. Because the desert was rich in gold and gems most of the people dedicated either to be merchants or goldsmiths. The merchants sold all over their world the pieces of art the goldsmiths of the Red Desert made in gems and gold.

This beautiful place was reign by the Park’s House and all the people of the desert considered them just and noble. Their palace called the Phoenix Palace was placed in the biggest oasis. The enormous structure was built in a single giant piece of red stone a piece of art just like the gold work that was made in there.

**

“Your Majesty, two strangers want to see you” a maid announced to the King Park Myungyeol.

“Two strangers?” tough the Red Desert had a lot of visitors usually they didn’t ask to see the King.

“They are Knights” the maid added shyly.

“You should tell me before darling, don’t make them wait any longer. Let them in the Throne Hall, I’ll be there in a minute” the maid bowed and left.

**

“Wow look at this place!” Jonghyun exclaimed impressed while gaping at the Throne Hall. It was adorned with fine woods, gold and gems. “Have you been here before?”

“No” Siwon who was from the Red Desert denied. “So about the plan…”

“Why we need a plan?” Jonghyun asked confused.

“Because we are here to ask the King to let us take his only son with us” Siwon rolled his eyes.

“Oh… right, then you should do the talk”.

Soon the King and the Crown Prince entered the hall when all were seated the King greeted them.

“Welcome my home it’s a pleasure to have you here”.

“Thanks” both Knights said.

“So like you ask to see me, may I ask the reason?”

“First thanks for your hospitality. We were sent here by the High Priestess to fulfill a very important mission” Siwon said.

“I would do all in my hands to help you” the King said as soon as he heard the High Priestess been mentioned.

“I hope you mean it” Siwon said. While he had been talking Jonghyun was observing the Crown Prince. He had noted that he was very tall, despite the sun of the desert his skin was not as tan as you would expect, his hair was a reddish black, his eyes big and honest. Like his father he was dressed in a red and gold durumagi and numerous jewels adorned his person. “The Tree of Life has chosen your son to serve as a Knight and our mission is to take him with us to the Sacred City”.

Jonghyun observed the eyes of the noble man widened with surprise and fear, the eyes of the Prince widened with surprise and excitement.

“No” the King said.

“What you mean with ‘no’? Father, you hear it…”

“Chanyeol, silence” the King looked conflicted and remained in silence for a few minutes thinking. “It’s a long travel since the Sacred City, you must be tired, please accept a room here. I know I said I would do all I could to help but what you are asking me is an issue I should think really well because you are asking me to let you take my only son, my heir, our Prince Crown with you”.

“We understand” Siwon said. “It was indeed a long travel and happily we’ll accept your offer”.

The King nodded and soon a maid appeared to lead them to their rooms before the left the man spoke to them again.

"After you rest and refresh I would like you to join us for dinner."

"That will be an honor" Siwon answered and bowing both left.

**

"It's going to be difficult, isn't it?" Jonghyun commented when they were alone in their rooms, Siwon sighed.

"Probably but is normal considering the situation"

"So what's the plan?"

"We have to convince him and maybe his son in going to help us with that" Jonghyun nodded the Prince seemed excited to become a Knight. "Meanwhile let's get ready for the dinner."

After two hours a maid knocked at his door and guided them to the dining room. It wasn't as large as the Throne Hall but surely it was decorated as richly as it and through its huge windows a neat and beautiful garden can be seen.

When Jonghyun and Siwon entered the hall the King and the Prince were already waiting for them along with two beautiful women that they supposed were the Queen and the Princess.

"Good night, thank you for join us" the King said to them. "This is my wife, Chanmi, and my daughter Chaeyeon" both Knights bowed respectfully to them. Both women were absolutely beautiful, they had white milky skin and brown reddish hair, Jonghyun found the princess especially charming.

"Let's start" Myungyeol said and as soon as they were seated along the table mouthwatering food was served. "Eat as much as you please" the King said and all started to eat.

During all the supper there was a small chat but the theme about the Prince leaving was never touched. When it was over they had a small walk for the garden, the two Knights talked to the royal family about Muyeokdo, the Sacred City, the Tree of Life and the Highest Priestess. After one hour the two Knights and the two noble women retreated to their rooms. Chanyeol stayed with his father in the garden, both were quiet while contemplating the stars.

"You know I have to go, right?" the boy asked suddenly, the King didn't answer right away.

"It's not that easy" he pointed out. "You have a big responsibility here but... maybe one greater is calling you, huh?" the last part seemed to not be directed to Chanyeol but to himself.

"Dad?"

"Chanyeol, go to bed is already late" the boy bowed and left knowing his father had a lot to think about.

**

The next morning Jonghyun and Siwon were invited to have breakfast with the King and the Prince.

"I was thinking about what you told me" Myungyeol said gaining Siwon and Jonghyun attention. "What you are asking from me is really difficult and I hope that you understand that. So... the Highest Priestess not only needs Knights, right? She must need clothes to dress her Knights, weapons, what about food? This is my offer, gold enough to pay all the need of all your Knights for the time my son was meant to serve as Knight "three pairs of eyes looked in shock at the man, after the initial shock Siwon smiled kindly to the King.

“Your offer is really kind, my King but the Priestess doesn’t need any of that I think you are very aware of it” the King sighed and gave a look at his son and then at the Knights.

“I need to think for a while, leave please” all bowed before they left the throne hall.

“This is being so difficult” Jonghyun said, he along Siwon and the prince were at one of the gardens waiting for the King.

“Don’t worry” Siwon said. “He just needs to get used to the idea. Your Highness, why don’t we show Jonghyun the Blue Oasis while we wait”

“Of course” the prince answered.

The Blue Oasis were a series of wellsprings located at the heart of the Red Desert, in that place the red stone had been carved in circular pits by the water that emerge from the earth. All the water at the Red Desert came from these blue pits and some more that where located in some others wellsprings around the place, but the more impressive and beautiful one were located at the Blue Oasis.

“Wow, it looks beautiful” Jonghyun said looking in awe the many blue pits were people were just chilling around, swimming or just carrying water from the smaller pits.

“Not just stare” Siwon said with a smile. “Let’s swim” and soon the other two were ready to jump onto one of the larger pits.

When they returned to the palace the sun was already setting and a maid was waiting for them to let them know that after they refreshed the King wanted them to join him for dinner. So after they cleaned up and changed clothes they met with the King in the dining hall where he was waiting for them.

When they entered the hall Chanyeol was surprised to see his cousin Kyungsoo seated beside his father who was two years older than him, once they all were seated the King spoke.

“I have been considering this situation very carefully and I have realized that you have to go” Chanyeol face brighten up. “But, I know you and I can let you wander free like that so your cousin is going with you.”

“What?!” Chanyeol exclaimed and then looked at his cousin. “You agree with this?”

“I always wanted to go to Muyeokdo and make some studies there” the boy answered while shrugging.

“Where are you gonna live?” Chanyeol asked because he knew only Knights can live at the Sacred City.

“I can buy a home at Muyeokdo” his father waved off the issue. “When you are leaving?”

“The day after tomorrow” Siwon said.

“Enough time to prepare, now let’s eat” the King said with a smile.

**

When the day to part came all was ready, Kyungsoo had already a house and servants to his new house in Muyeokdo that had been bought with the help of some merchants of the Red Desert that were at the city at the time.

“Be careful and pay attention to Kyungsoo advices” the King told to Chanyeol.

“I will, don’t worry, father” the prince said with a smile.

“We will take care of him” Siwon said.

**

The travel to the Sacred City took six days, crossing the Whispering Forests and then into Muyeokdo, before they reached the Sacred City they took Kyungsoo to his new home at one of the richest areas of Muyeokdo, the house that the King of the Red Desert had bought for his nephew was a huge white building with a precious garden.

“You have to tell me when you have a free day and come to visit me” Kyungsoo warned before Chanyeol left to the Sacred City.

“I will, don’t be so pushy” he said joking and hugged his cousin before he left with Siwon and Jonghyun.

Chanyeol was really surprised when they reached the Sacred City and can’t avoid comparing it with a green oasis in the middle of Muyeokdo, once within the city he was taken to his rooms where he will rest before be presented to the Highest Priestess.

When he was fresh and dressed in his Knight attire he was lead to her. Yoona was under the Tree of Life reading when Chanyeol arrived and she put down what she was reading and smiled to him a gesture to approach. The Knight carefully took seat beside her.

“Welcome, Chanyeol” Yoona said with a smile, “thanks for coming.”

“I’m really happy to be here!” Chanyeol said in all honesty.

“Glad to hear that” she smiled to him and for a moment said nothing. “You know, every person that is called has a reason to be here, some are meant to be here and dedicate their lives to serve this place, some others came to find and learn what is necessary to them in the future.”

“You know why I’m here?” Chanyeol asked with curiosity.

“I think you will find out soon, do you like roses, Chanyeol?”

“What?”

“Never mind” she smiled with that enigmatic smile that she put some times.

**

Chanyeol got used really quickly at the life in the Sacred City he was put in Jonghyun guard and trained his fire ability with Siwon. The first day he was free he decided to go to visit Kyungsoo and maybe tried to convince him to join him and his guard to go to eat. Jonghyun accompanied him to look for his cousin since he remembered better the way to the house while the rest of the guard waited for them at Song’s House.

It took a little convincing from them but finally they managed to take Kyungsoo with them and it took less before Jongin was hitting on him.

**

It was another day when he went to visit his cousin that he saw him for the first time.

Beside Kyungsoo’s house there was this huge hanok that picked up Chanyeol attention because over its walls many roses’ bushes can be seen and Yoona had said something about roses.

“Come here” the sudden voice came and Chanyeol observed who a boy was trying to catch a little kitten from a tree which branches jutted out of the walls of the hanok. The boy was small, his skin really white and his brown hair has a reddish tone to it. Chanyeol observed him while he tried to grab the kitten that was on a very thin branch.

“A little closer” he said to the kitten stretching his arm to it.

It happened in slow motion, the branch broke and the boy fell, Chanyeol had to thanks his quick reflexes that he caught the boy in time, the boy in his arms opened his eyes slowly clearly confused when he didn’t feel the hit.

“Are you ok?” Chanyeol deep voice startled him and he looked up realizing he was being held by a pair of strong arms. “Are you hurt?” the Knight asked again and the boy denied staring at him wide-eyed.

“Mochi!” the boy suddenly exclaimed and the Knight looked at him confused.

“Oh, you mean this?” Chanyeol said showing him the kitten.

“Thanks!” the boy said carefully hugging the cat and suddenly he remembered he has being held. “Oh, you can put me down” the boy said shyly and Chanyeol put him down carefully.

“Are you sure you are ok?”

“Yes, thank you. I need to go inside now” the boy said and when he looked a little apprehensive about going to the door the Knight smiled.

“Do you prefer that I help you over the wall instead?” Chanyeol offered.

“That will be great!” the boy said happy and the felt embarrassed at his outburst. “I mean if you don’t mind”

“I don’t” so carefully Chanyeol help him first on the wall and without being asked he jumped to the other side where he helped the boy down who was still holding the kitten. “There you are” he said as he is just about to jump back outside.

“Thanks” the boy said with a smile and Chanyeol found charming his eye smile.

“You are welcome” and then he left guessing that it was time to show up with Kyungsoo still the boy never left his mind.

**

“Hey!”

Chanyeol turned around to see the boy he had saved from falling days ago picking over the wall of his garden.

“Hello” he answered as he walked to him. “Need help?”

“No, I just wanted to thank you for the last time” the boy said shyly.

“You already did that last time” the Knight said with a smile.

“Yeah, but I wanted…ahh!…” Chanyeol ran when the boy disappeared from the wall and without any second thought he jumped over it, the boy was lying over the grass and he noticed that he had been over a little stair and obviously he had lost his balance and fell.

“Are you ok?” he asked concerned.

“I’m fine” the boy said standing up. “Like I was saying I just wanted to give you this” he said handing a little red bag to him. “These are peach candies” he explained.

“Thanks,” he smiled to the boy while wondering how if he had been waiting for him all these days since their last meeting. “My name is Park Chanyeol, and yours?”

“Byun Baekhyun” they stared at each other for a moment. “Are you a Knight?” the boy asked suddenly at the blue attire of the taller.

“Yes, I’m”

“That’s really cool”

**

“You are late” that was the first thing Kyungsoo said to him when he arrived indeed one hour late but he had been a wonderful time with Baekhyun and if it hadn’t been because the boy was called and had to left quickly he was sure they will spend two more hours talking and laughing. “Are you even hearing me?” Kyungsoo said annoyed at his cousin.

“Sorry, what were you saying?” Chanyeol said.

“Where have you been?” Kyungsoo asked instead.

“I got distracted at Muyeokdo” he said and Kyungsoo didn’t press any further.