Changes

MEMORIES: A Guy I Once Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She’s never been the type to crack and his drawing of her made no difference.


 

Yet she could not help but to stare at the boy before her. He’s still the same. His face showed no change; a scowl of disinterest painted on as he rummaged through the text furiously. He’s frustrated and he obviously doesn’t want to be there. Jennie could tell because he’s never been the type to enjoy studying. During those tutoring sessions, he had become more and more silent. It took a few visits of Jennie shutting down his every attempt to distract her for him to finally get the point. She wasn’t there to entertain him. She was strictly there to perform some kind of miracle where he would get a few notches higher with every upcoming test.

 

This new change didn’t go too well for Suga. He wasn’t very vocal about it, but anyone could tell that. It was around the fifth meet up when Jennie laid her foot down. She no longer decided to answer his questions that were unrelated to school work. She no longer gave much of a reaction to any of his sly words that so easily once made her forget her position of being a tutor. All of a sudden it was incredibly hard for Suga to kill the usual two hours.

 

Jennie knew that sooner or later, the boy was going to give up.

Secretly, she was waiting for that day. She honestly didn’t need anyone wasting her time. Being a senior at school meant a heavy load of concerns that went beyond whether or not the tall brooding boy before her would escape failing the year. His lack of concern wasn’t doing her any good. Her strong determination to help her professors out on this lost soul was starting to fade.

 

“How long are you going to just stare at it?” It had been forty minutes and the boy did nothing but flip through the sample question package that Jennie had so nicely prepared.

 

“Do you need help?” She stared at the pen to his side that never once did he touch.

 

“Nah, I’m good.” His busy fingers stopping with the flipping of pages. “You got something to say to me?” He had noticed her constant stare.

 

“If you’re not going to put any effort, then why the hell am I here Suga?” She wasn’t a fan of the tone of his voice sounding close to being dangerously condescending. And if she didn’t practice the art of patience, she might have called him out on it right there.

 

“No one’s stopping you from leaving.”

 

He sounded so pitiful that it hurt. She wished that she could just ignore it and take his advice and just drop the entire thing, but she couldn’t.

 

“Why won’t you let me help you? Judging from the amount of tests that you practically failed, you need some.”

 

The boy had gone back to fidgeting through the booklet. She was almost certain that this standoff-ish personality of his wasn’t going to die, but he was full of surprises.

 

“This is all too easy,” He signed, “School’s a joke. No one needs to know this stuff in the real world. It’s different out there.”

 

Jennie kept her eyes fixated at him and his scrunched up brows. She wasn’t buying any of it. They were seniors for goodness sake. There was no time for this ‘I hate school’ persona. The time now was crucial for them; these grades were crucial.

 

“If you need answers Jennie Kim, it’s A, C, D, E, B, A, A, E.”

 

Her dark chocolate eyes grew blank, flabbergasted to say the least. He enjoyed being the reason behind her shocked face, the vision of it transforming from calm and collected so easily made the thin corners of his lips curl upward.

 

“I’m not as stupid as they think.”

 

He handed over the package back over to her, who in return was now in charge of skimming through it hastily. He was correct. Every single answer was right.

 

“Suga...what--”

 

“I’m not as stupid as you think.”

 

She bit her tongue. It’s true that she didn’t think of him to be brilliant, but in no way did she think that lowly of the guy, “Sorry,” she whispered, slightly ashamed.

 

“I don’t need apologies,” he laughed.

 

Jennie knew then on that the kid sitting before her never once needed any help with school. There was a deeper reason to why he was doing so poorly in school, one that no one would know besides Suga himself. He carried along with him baggage that she really didn’t need at the moment, but she found herself immersed.

 

“Then what do you need?”

 

“Can’t it just be how it used to be?”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like you and I talking again. Just you and I.”

 

She’d hate to admit it, but she could feel her heart flutter. She hated herself for swooning over such simple words, but it doesn’t change the fact that her palms got sweaty and all of a sudden she was feeling some sort of way. Jennie could not describe it. She doesn’t even know what it was.

 

“Promise me you’ll try. Even if it’s bothersome.”

Jennie wasn’t sure what she was getting herself into, but there was something newly alluring about the stupid grin on his face. She cursed herself for succumbing to his spell.


 

 

 

Suga is not a man full of just talk.

 

He breezed through the next few tests, easily scoring an impressive high grade each time. The professors were dumbfounded, Jungkook felt proud, and Jennie was just relieved. She would never understand why he would hide this brilliance.

 

While he stuck to his word, Jennie did the same. The two of them continued on with their tutoring sessions; although, majority of the time they wandered off topic from academics. It was not as if he truly needed any pointers in history or physics anyway. He began to slowly open up to her. There was nothing more in the world that he loved than his younger siblings, love spilling from his eyes with every mention. He had moved from the last location against his own will and was adamant about going back (which explained his lack of words during the first month).

 

And then he showed her what she could never really imagined to see; the sacred book that he often scribbled in. The tattered spine just barely kept together rumpled pages of short phrases and rhymes, a collection of poetry. Each set was ingenious to the point where Jennie was convinced that if ever he was willing to, his writings could possibly get published. But unlike her, he saw nothing but flaws hidden beneath every sentence. He had crossed out many, discarded countless, abandoned more than what was kept. Suga’s biggest enemy was himself. No matter how much Jennie would say otherwise, he would always carve his work as unsatisfactory.

 

The two were growing close and it was not going unnoticed.




 

Jisoo was still very much infatuated with Suga. No matter how many weeks had passed by since his arrival, Jisoo could not see anyone else besides him. She was not too pleased when Jennie and Suga’s relationship had upgraded from being peers to friends. On the other hand, Jisoo was still stuck, stagnant with not much progression in concern with her love life. This had led to Jisoo’s constant appearance here and there.

 

It was odd at first when Jennie had found herself being mixed up with Jisoo so often. They had known each other for awhile and were in good terms, but they were never the type to sit and talk for long periods of time. Jennie knew what the other was doing, b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter